MAFIA... and other forum games

Discussion about Mafia
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 4:39PM, Sept. 19, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
But instead a townie killed two roles -.-
Basically, all I asked for was to go out with a stile that befitted Vikings. I wouldn't have minded fighting to death against the combined forces of the agent of chaos and whatever the mad bomber was called(I think alchemist) only to have died in wain but the end results was still the same.

Like I said, I didn't complain. ^^

Ah the past is the past. I feel much better now after writing out both yours and Salsa's death nars. :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
Salsa at 4:49PM, Sept. 20, 2009
(offline)
Ok, I guess I owe TFGM a long overdue apology. I am sorry that I stepped on your toes. I thought that since the outcome was the same you wouldn't mind. I hope that next time I will show more wisdom in the matter.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:18PM
Product Placement at 6:09PM, Sept. 22, 2009
(online)
I feel like we need to seriously write down the finer rules regarding turn based actions and other rulings in order to prevent confusion. For example when the horse head should take effect confused the heck out of me in the previous game. Of course since rules can me altered by the current GM i propose that instead of carving it into stone we should hence forth dedicate a single post in here for our interpretation of the rules. That way we can point them out should anyone ask instead of constantly explaining them, again and again. Also, fledgling GMs can look up these interpretations and either adopt them completely, modify them to suit their own needs or make up an entirely different rule system.

Since I'm such a good sport, I'll go first.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
Niccea at 6:17PM, Sept. 22, 2009
(offline)
Can you make out a list of points that you think need to be defined so I can start writing my opinions?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:14PM
Product Placement at 6:27PM, Sept. 22, 2009
(online)
Product Placement's interpretations of the rules.

*Kills are arranged in a first come first serve bases. Therefore if two people declare that they're gonna kill each other, the one who sends in their kill requests first will succeed.

*A protection lasts entire night. A person protected by a paramedic, bodyguard and other possible protection roles can't be killed, even if his protector dies that same night. While it sounds strange that a person can't be killed after his bodyguard has been taken cared of, even though the kill request to kill the protected person comes in AFTER the protector has been killed, I will rule that the protection lasts all night. The reason behind my decision is explained in the next paragraph.

*If a certain action is described to last a whole turn or more, it will continue to do so regardless if the person dies the same night. The only requirement for whether or not the action succeeds is if the player performing it manages to perform the action BEFORE he is killed.

*If a whole turn action is described to take effect during the turn it's performed (like protection) it will take effect retroactively in addition to lasting the remainder of the turn. If a person is targeted to be killed and a paramedic states that this person will be protected after the kill request has been sent in, the person will be protected regardless. Also if the whole turn action is described to take place AFTER the turn, it will not affect the person during the turn it is activated. For example a horse head attack (which I would describe to last a day and a night cycle) would take effect AFTER the end of the night narration and thus would not inhibit the person who was targeted with that action during the same night. Pay attention to whether or not the action is described to take place during the turn it is activated or after the turn.

*The horse head attack can only affect the same person once. After that he becomes immune to it.

*The detective has been tuned down a little bit. From now on, he is unable to see the specific roles that players have. He is only able to see if the person is pro-town or a criminal. That way, it becomes harder for the villagers to figure out what roles everyone has.

Whenever I think of more rule interpretations I will add it to this list. If somebody asks me about my opinion on a particular rule, I may add my response to this list as well.

Please ask me for any clarifications if there's something you don't understand. Also if you do understand them but find that I worded my sentences in an overly confusing manner, feel free to let me know. It's the only way I'll learn to write them properly.

I reserve right to alter my interpretations should I change my mind on a particular subject.

If you wish follow these interpretations and would like to make a reference to this post, simply copy “this link location” and post it wherever you need to post it.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 7:07PM, Sept. 22, 2009
(offline)

Niccea's interpretations of the rules.

Kills are arranged in a first come first serve bases. Therefore if two people declare that they're gonna kill each other, the one who sends in their kill requests first will succeed. I agree with this, but I mix it up a little bit just so it is fair. It is still in order but I change where it starts.

A protection lasts entire night. A person protected by a paramedic, bodyguard and other possible protection roles can't be killed, even if his protector dies that same night. While it sounds strange that a person can't be killed after his bodyguard has been taken cared of, even though the kill request to kill the protected person comes in AFTER the protector has been killed, I will rule that the protection lasts all night. The reason behind my decision is explained in the next paragraph. (Actually I haven't run into this before, but I believe I would go with this. As long as the protector wasn't killed before he sent in his protection)

If a certain action is described to last a whole turn or more, it will continue to do so regardless if the person dies the same night. The only requirement for whether or not the action succeeds is if the player performing it manages to perform the action BEFORE he is killed. (Makes sense)

Protection is not retroactive because of the first come first serve thing. If the paramedic is too late they are too late.
Product Placement at 7:48PM, Sept. 22, 2009
(online)
Niccea
Protection is not retroactive because of the first come first serve thing. If the paramedic is too late they are too late.
The reason why I decree that paramedics protect retroactively is because I consider a protection to be a whole turn action. Kills are consider to be an instant action and thus don't work retroactively (I wouldn't even know how that would work lol!).

You could even justify it by stating that the paramedic discovered the victim bleeding on the streets or at his home and managed to save him in the nick of time.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 7:50PM, Sept. 22, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
Niccea
The reason why I decree that paramedics protect retroactively is because I consider a protection to be a whole turn action. Kills are consider to be an instant action and thus don't work retroactively (I wouldn't even know how that would work lol!).

You could even justify it by stating that the paramedic discovered the victim bleeding on the streets or at his home and managed to save him in the nick of time.
Just going by the rules BK had.
Product Placement at 7:57PM, Sept. 22, 2009
(online)
Niccea
Just going by the rules BK had.
And a fine reason it is.

This is exactly the reason why I decided to title this “(insert name)'s interpretation of the rules”. Just imagine how unpopular I'd be if I'd called my post “The rules as they should be and can't be done differently! :gem:”.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 4:51PM, Sept. 24, 2009
(online)
TFGM's interpretations of the rules.

Kills are arranged in a first come first serve bases. Therefore if two people declare that they're gonna kill each other, the one who sends in their kill requests first will succeed.

Protection does not last through the entire night. A person protected by a paramedic, bodyguard and other possible roles can be killed, if the protecter dies that night before the protectie is targeted. So if Medic A protects Citizen B and is killed by Killer A the protection is canceled from the point the hit for Medic A is recieced. The same goes for bodyguards and godfather's BC power. If the bodyguards die before Killer A sends in his action to kill Mayor A then Mayor A is dead. The reason is as follows, you can't protect someone if your DEAD. Medics can still save someone who was attacked before they sent in their action.

Actions take place as soon as they are able. So a horsehead if timed right can disable a players night action the night it sent. If Godfather A targets Vig A before he can send in his night action then Vig A cannot use there action for that night. Nor can they use anyday actions or vote. But if Vig A managed to send in his action first then he will lose his next day and night action.

The Mad Hatter is a clever one and is the only one to be able to kill the Paranoid single handed. Though at the cost of his own life.

Godfather can not use the horsehead on the same person twice in a row.

Detective can not look up the election votes.

Niccea at 8:22PM, Sept. 24, 2009
(offline)
Does anyone remember when we held the car drawing competition that Ochi made all those 4 panels for? Was that in XII or the GM election for XIII?
Salsa at 9:51PM, Sept. 24, 2009
(offline)
It was the GM election
RAGE!
Niccea at 4:32AM, Sept. 25, 2009
(offline)
Salsa
It was the GM election
^,^; Thanks I just stuck into XII's folder so I wouldn't loose it.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 12:50AM, Oct. 3, 2009
(online)
How the heck does the townies keep winning when there up against crazy odds? O.<

Product Placement at 4:46PM, Oct. 3, 2009
(online)
What do you mean? The last game was a mafia victory (I helped ^^) and I don't see any signs stating that this game is a guarantied win for the town.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 4:53PM, Oct. 3, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
What do you mean? The last game was a mafia victory (I helped ^^) and I don't see any signs stating that this game is a guarantied win for the town.
That was when the mafia were up agianst the most odds. It seems like the underdogs just can't lose XD

Product Placement at 5:03PM, Oct. 3, 2009
(online)
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
That was when the mafia were up agianst the most odds. It seems like the underdogs just can't lose XD
Maybe the reason is that once the odds are against you, you tend to work harder for your victory. Once you're in the “safe zone” you tend to become complacent and careless, thus increasing your chances of defeat.

When I GM'd my first game, the mafia managed to find themselves with both the pardoner and Mayor position and managed to kill off the detective, while finding out the identity of the vigilante. They became so certain of victory that they all revealed their identity around day 2/night 2. Sure, at that point it looked like the mafia was gonna win, regardless of what would happen but then they got unlucky. The vigilante managed to land a hit before the mafia did and the paranoid got targeted as well. Then the town rallied together and lynched the pardoner, so that he couldn't pardon himself. It was a close call in the end but the town managed to win.

Oh right… you were in that mafia. ^^
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 5:32PM, Oct. 3, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
Maybe the reason is that once the odds are against you, you tend to work harder for your victory. Once you're in the “safe zone” you tend to become complacent and careless, thus increasing your chances of defeat.

When I GM'd my first game, the mafia managed to find themselves with both the pardoner and Mayor position and managed to kill off the detective, while finding out the identity of the vigilante. They became so certain of victory that they all revealed their identity around day 2/night 2. Sure, at that point it looked like the mafia was gonna win, regardless of what would happen but then they got unlucky. The vigilante managed to land a hit before the mafia did and the paranoid got targeted as well. Then the town rallied together and lynched the pardoner, so that he couldn't pardon himself. It was a close call in the end but the town managed to win.

Oh right… you were in that mafia. ^^
It was Baron's idea and another member was in favor of it. There is not much a godfather can do when some of your team decides to act on their own, except go along with it :/

Thats one thing I don't like. When a relativily new member becomes God Father and a relativily experence player takes the oppitunity to basicly control the mafia through them. Sure you might just want to contribute your opinions, but you end up basicly not letting the person come up with their own. I'm not going to name any examples *Cough* you *Cough* ;3

Product Placement at 5:56PM, Oct. 3, 2009
(online)
Hey. It was my first time as mafia and I got overly exited. You have no idea how frustrating it can be to play 10 games in a row, never receiving a single kill role. I admit I bossed my boss around a bit but he relaid nothing but appreciation to me since I played a big role in ensuring the Mafia victory in that case. I don't know why you're complaining since you were ranting about how the townies were winning all the games at the time.

Besides, inu (now random) did some stuff. He reminded me of the existence of the serial killer, cleared up my confusion about how the horse head worked and was on his own once I croaked.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 6:51PM, Oct. 3, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
Hey. It was my first time as mafia and I got overly exited. You have no idea how frustrating it can be to play 10 games in a row, never receiving a single kill role. I admit I bossed my boss around a bit but he relaid nothing but appreciation to me since I played a big role in ensuring the Mafia victory in that case. I don't know why you're complaining since you were ranting about how the townies were winning all the games at the time.

Besides, inu (now random) did some stuff. He reminded me of the existence of the serial killer, cleared up my confusion about how the horse head worked and was on his own once I croaked.
Yes but at school he told me how frustrating it was to come up with an idea only to see that you had beaten him too it. I'm not saying don't share your thoughts. All thoughts, and opinions are vaulable. I'm just saying give the head a chance to come up with something.

I mean Baron basicly took control when I was Godfather and the way you talked about how you turned all town agianst each other it sounded like you did too. I'm sorry if I'm reading into this too much D:

Product Placement at 7:15PM, Oct. 3, 2009
(online)
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
Yes but at school he told me how frustrating it was to come up with an idea only to see that you had beaten him too it. I'm not saying don't share your thoughts. All thoughts, and opinions are vaulable. I'm just saying give the head a chance to come up with something.
All right. He made that particular complaint to me but it sounded more like that he came up with ideas similar to mine, only that I managed to bring up the subject before he had the chance to do so. It's easy to see why he'd be frustrated since I was always beating him to the punch. I always consulted my ideas with him before instigating them.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
I mean Baron basicly took control when I was Godfather and the way you talked about how you turned all town agianst each other it sounded like you did too. I'm sorry if I'm reading into this too much D:
I was proud of how I managed to manipulate the town into thinking that the real detective was an impostor, instead of me. I also made careful arrangements to make the rest of the townies believe that Salsa was a mafia so that they would focus on lynching him instead of me, should that event come up. I also made allot of effort to hide the rest of the mafia amongst the townies by raising suspicion among the other townies. I played the role of the confuser simply because Gullas had confronted me and I knew that as soon as he was dead, people would come after me. By making sure that everyone would be as confused as possible by the time my identity was found out, I ensured that the rest of my teammates would be relatively safe. Did I take charge? Yes, in a sense. I was the public figure who helped hide the true motives of the mafia. I was elected mayor and took over the leadership of the town. It can be hard at times to distinguish between the role of the mayor and a mafia subordinate and I suppose that Baron must have fallen for the same trap.

If Inu (Random) feels that I hijacked the game from him then I'm sorry but you can't deny the results behind my tactic.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 7:24PM, Oct. 3, 2009
(online)
Yes you guys did pull off an awesome victory :D

Salsa at 2:30PM, Oct. 6, 2009
(offline)
Ya know I wanna gm another game. I wanna get a hit on PP from somebody, and I will make sure that he winces ever time he reads the narration.
RAGE!
Niccea at 5:00AM, Oct. 7, 2009
(offline)
The few times that I was mafia, but not the godfather, the godfather asked for my input anyways.And I gave it freely. Of course my input is more of a list of options rather than one.

Like: If this happens we can do this and this, but I don't recommend this. But if that happens, oh boy! We have to do that!
Aghammer at 5:37AM, Oct. 7, 2009
(offline)
The whole detective thing really cracked me up. I died early, which was disappointing but I'm glad my team won… go team!

I thought PP and Inu were a good team.

And, I agree, Baron jumped the gun in that game although we almost pulled it off… I ran with it and tried to convince people to just give up :)

TheFlyingGreenMonkey
Yes you guys did pull off an awesome victory :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
Product Placement at 5:44AM, Oct. 7, 2009
(online)
Salsa
Ya know I wanna gm another game. I wanna get a hit on PP from somebody, and I will make sure that he winces ever time he reads the narration.
So much love in here.

I'd advice against actively promoting the demise of specific players. It be a lousy incentive for them to join your game.

P.S. What's the deal with the two of us making such a brutal narrations for each other anyways? Why did that start?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
harkovast at 6:01AM, Oct. 7, 2009
(online)
Hark's interpretation of the rules

1) Blame someone else. Doesn't matter if you think they are guilty or not, or even if you have a logical argument, just stick to your guns and say things like you are 100% certain.

2) Say things in a silly light hearted way so people dont take you seriously as the sinister threat to their lives that you really are.

3) Shamelessly plug your comic at every opportunity.

4) Read Kombat Kubs (see rule 3.)

5) Assume the GM is cheating you at all times.

6) Rest well in the knowledge that Hark has never been lynched at this game.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
Niccea at 7:54AM, Oct. 7, 2009
(offline)
7. Never believe a word hark says. Sometimes he speaks the truth but it is obscured by a heavy layer of bull shit.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 8:08AM, Oct. 7, 2009
(online)
I might have to copy Hark's methid. He seems to stay alive so if I copy him I too will stay alive :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:18PM
harkovast at 10:36AM, Oct. 7, 2009
(online)
Niccea I sometimes even speak bull shit obscured by a heavy layer of truth!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon