Niccea at 5:52AM, Oct. 8, 2009
(offline)
Mafia idea…

Western Theme?

Complete with the stereotypes of

Sherif
Bad Guy in Black

and other such people.

Thought I don't know if the Sheriff should be elected, drawn at random to function as the vigilante, or appointed by the mayor (that would be a fun twist).

I guess I'm looking for input and giving permission for anyone to take and run with the idea.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:14PM
Hakoshen at 10:47AM, Oct. 10, 2009
(offline)
I'm just throwing this out there, but I like mafia games where not everyone has a role. Because when everyone has a role either the casualties are too numerous too quickly or there are too many clues to work on at a given time. I like it when there are only a few guilty people and you have to weed them out of the innocent. As little as I get to play now, I enjoyed the slight thrill I got at logging on to see if I'd been found out.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Product Placement at 10:58AM, Oct. 10, 2009
(online)
Ironically, since I'm promoting an all role game, I agree with you Hakoshen. However many of us have been playing this game for so long now that we're getting too good at forming strategies that weeds out small mafia groups. If we want to go for a classic, classic game, we need to level the playing field, clip the wings on the detective, increase the difficulty of the clues, possibly stop making clues, etc.

At least all of my new roles aren't kill roles so it's not gonna be over in 2 days.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
Hakoshen at 12:42PM, Oct. 10, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
However many of us have been playing this game for so long now that we're getting too good at forming strategies that weeds out small mafia groups.

That is very true.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
harkovast at 1:17PM, Oct. 10, 2009
(online)
I have to agree.
I just dick around most of the time, but clearly we are all getting a bit good at catching bad guys (for example, never running for office if you dont have a role etc)

We need to get the random element back in!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
Product Placement at 1:37PM, Oct. 10, 2009
(online)
harkovast
(for example, never running for office if you dont have a role etc)
I have two solutions to that. First the detective can be downgraded so that he can no longer spot the exact role that the player has. He'll only is able to see if the person is pro-townie or a criminal. Thus the non role townies are safe to run for office again (and so is the Godfather). I'm implementing this rule in the game that I'm currently promoting.

Alternatively, we can issue a new rule stating that people in power can not be approached by the detective (or anyone else) as long as their bodyguards are alive. The detective is still free from examining the candidates during day one so he can still attempt to look up the prospecting mayor/pardoner. That way it's easier for the mafia to sneak in one of their members while they're still at some risk.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
harkovast at 2:08PM, Oct. 10, 2009
(online)
PP I like the idea that the detective can only spot good or evil, that would work well I think.

Product Placement at 10:28AM, Oct. 13, 2009
(online)
Now here's a question that should justly be asked. Should we name the person who's attacked but survived because he was protected or veteran or something similar?

The reason why I ask is simple. If the person who's attacked is named, everyone will suspect that there's something interesting about him. I mean, why else would he have survived? Hiding the identity of the person attacked would surely protect him, right?

Well… no. It wouldn't really. The person who attacked him would know that he survived and if the attacker is part of the mafia then it's relatively likely that the entire gang will know about the failed attack.

The same applies to individuals like the paranoid. Once he's attacked he's essentially found out, so why not name them?

I like to hear the input from other players about this matter. Once I make up my mind on the matter, I'm going to include it in my rule interpretations.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 3:03PM, Oct. 13, 2009
(online)
I say anyone protected by someone else should be named. My reason for this is to single not only the mafia or the player who attacked him, but also the townies and victom. It adds another element to the game I feel.

Vet, Paranoid and Godfather shouldn't be named if attacked.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:18PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 3:17PM, Oct. 19, 2009
(online)
We should always have townies. And there should never be two detective powers.

Niccea at 3:23PM, Oct. 19, 2009
(offline)
Yeah. This game was frustrating because there no townies for the mafia to hide behind.
Product Placement at 4:14PM, Oct. 19, 2009
(online)
The game isn't over so it's kinda annoying that you're already criticizing it but since you started…

It was frustrating because you played it like you play a normal mafia game. A game where it's harder to hide requires different strategy.

I introduced the neutral side for just that fact. I downgraded the detective power because of that fact.

The neutral roles are supposed to be the wild cards that could turn the course of the game completely around. The pimp was never supposed to help the town. I strongly encouraged him to use his powers for his selfish needs. Imagine how difficult the game would become if the Mad Scientist decided to help the mafia and was resurrecting all the dead team mates?

I think the biggest mistake I made in the game was to introduce the Celebrity politician. Having someone that people could trust was a way to big of an advantage. You were just way too good at rallying the town together, Niccea. Introducing a role that people could trust was one of the first things I suggested in this game and I can now see the error behind that idea.

…Well. The only way to find out was to try.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 4:32PM, Oct. 19, 2009
(offline)
Yep. Well the problem was that everyone was telling me their actual roles. But then the mafia would just say, “I'm a neutral” and offered nothing else. If they had actually said a role, it would have been much easier for them and meant I would have to check everything.

And I think I might be second or third in this game when it comes to charisma.

Ozone is the top of it all.

And I think it may be a tie between you and I. You are always voted for GM.
Product Placement at 4:41PM, Oct. 19, 2009
(online)
I has charisma?

^^

I might be interested to try out this game concept at some future point but I would use the experience that I gained/will gain from this game to refine the idea. First of all I would ditch the politician role and encourage people to be more secretive with their roles.

I was really saddened when I heard that all the neutrals had come forth and revealed their roles to you.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 4:42PM, Oct. 19, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
I was really saddened when I heard that all the neutrals had come forth and revealed their roles to you.

I was kinda disappointed too. I only had one mafia claim a real role, but when I told him to use it, he said he didn't want to and he would use it on who he felt like.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 4:52PM, Oct. 19, 2009
(online)
Niccea
Product Placement

I was kinda disappointed too. I only had one mafia claim a real role, but when I told him to use it, he said he didn't want to and he would use it on who he felt like.
Really who was that? :3

I TRIED to rally the neutrals to our side but they wouldn't listen. Which I find frustrating to no end. Its a giant popularity contest again. I can't compete agianst Niccea. She is apparently tied in secound for most charsima :D

Aghammer at 6:19PM, Oct. 19, 2009
(offline)
The problem was that Niccea could be upfront immediately and say “join us” to the neutrals and we couldn't do that.. “hey, join the Mafia” until we were “discovered”. I think it was a very interesting game but the mafia needs more power in this type of situation or the neutrals need some kind of encouragement to join the mafia or fight it out on their own.

Again, a lot of fun and interesting (like all PP games). I hope you get the chance to run it again in the future or other GMs can integrate some of the ideas.

TheFlyingGreenMonkey
Niccea
Product Placement

Really who was that? :3

I TRIED to rally the neutrals to our side but they wouldn't listen. Which I find frustrating to no end. Its a giant popularity contest again. I can't compete agianst Niccea. She is apparently tied in secound for most charsima :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
Product Placement at 6:30PM, Oct. 19, 2009
(online)
Believe me. I tried to make the Pimp a role that would encourage the player to become power hungry. It's specially designed to find out the roles of players and then grant that player an edge over them. Should the pimp find out the identity of a paramedic and a mobster, he'd could demand protection from the paramedic and order the mobster to kill for his behalf. Should they turn on him and cause his demise, their identities would be found out, dooming for a mafia hit or a lynch.

Imagine the Mad scientist and the pimp working together. The mad scientist could be augmenting their followers with unique powers and resurrecting those who'd fall while the pimp would “recruit” others into their team.

Instead the pimp decided to play detective. :(

At very least the duelist seems to be turning out to be a success.

And of course. Any future GM is allowed to play this setup or any of my previous setups. They're allowed to take the roles that I've made in this game and incorporate it into their own game. I just won't be recommending the Known Player role (celebrity politician).
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 6:44PM, Oct. 19, 2009
(online)
IF I had been a neutral I would have promoted a neutral empire against both the mafia and townies.

But other than the neutrals having wisdom 10 to Ni's charisma 16 it was fun.

waff at 9:02AM, Oct. 23, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
I just won't be recommending the Known Player role (celebrity politician).
too much trust.

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:44PM
Niccea at 9:13AM, Oct. 23, 2009
(offline)
A lot of people trust me anyways because I don't lie in this game. I just don't tell the complete truth.

I think the reviving power might not be the best either.
GarBonzo Bean at 3:34PM, Oct. 23, 2009
(offline)
I liked the mad scientist role (obviously) I think the ability to give powers balanced out how many people were going to be revived.

As for my greek mythology game, I have 18 roles, if any more people were to sign up, should I create a third side of monsters or give the mafia more power?
If its popsicle, its possible!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
harkovast at 3:39PM, Oct. 23, 2009
(online)
I thought it was a good laugh. But I'm an easy going guy about these things.

Hakoshen at 4:39PM, Oct. 23, 2009
(offline)
Ultimatums typically help whatever side who has the mayor control a lot of the game, but I think that everyone sharing roles kind of ruins the hunt. No one could stop people from sharing roles, but doing so en masse makes deciphering clues almost pointless because the person in power can effectively cut their potential suspects in half, and if they control the investigative and killing powers, they really DO take a lot of the fun out of things. Think about it; when was the last time we really had to make an effort to decipher clues?
-Harkovast
Ochitsukanai at 5:04PM, Oct. 23, 2009
(online)
Hakoshen
Think about it; when was the last time we really had to make an effort to decipher clues?
Most people don't really try to decipher them, right? Unless clue-solving participation went way up recently or something and I missed it. It always seemed like a few people pursued it with dedication, while the others looked at the arguments and decided which one they liked.

I used to think about this a lot when I was talking to PP about clue difficulty awhile back. It's well-nigh impossible to make clues that can potentially be solved by anyone but that aren't too easy for the regulars. I ultimately thought the best thing would be “These clues are the usual difficulty, but they're a bit vague, and perhaps some are red herrings.” The clues would thus single out a small target group, but behavior and luck would have to winnow it down…

Geez, I miss this game so much. I never have the chance to spend time on the computer anymore. :(

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
Hakoshen at 5:46PM, Oct. 23, 2009
(offline)
Ochitsukanai
Most people don't really try to decipher them, right? Unless clue-solving participation went way up recently or something and I missed it. It always seemed like a few people pursued it with dedication, while the others looked at the arguments and decided which one they liked.

Well, that's pretty much what I meant. Maybe it's just me.
-Harkovast
Product Placement at 6:36PM, Oct. 23, 2009
(online)
Hakoshen
Ultimatums typically help whatever side who has the mayor control a lot of the game, but I think that everyone sharing roles kind of ruins the hunt. No one could stop people from sharing roles, but doing so en masse makes deciphering clues almost pointless because the person in power can effectively cut their potential suspects in half, and if they control the investigative and killing powers, they really DO take a lot of the fun out of things.
Again. I attempted to balance it out by creating the neutral side, while nerfing down the detective. That way there really wasn't a reason for the players to be that forward with their powers. Only the pro-town stood to benefit from revealing their roles to the leadership since it was in their interest that the town would win.

And again. Unfortunately I didn't take into account how powerful the Celebrity Politician role could be in unifying the town.
Ochitsukanai
Geez, I miss this game so much. I never have the chance to spend time on the computer anymore. :(
We all miss you too.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 9:05PM, Oct. 23, 2009
(online)
I've been on the bad side or I've been killed right off the bat so I havn't been much of a clue solver except for who killed me, which I'm happy to say I've gotten right every time.

That and being full time student and working part time isn't helping give me time for clue solving.

Product Placement at 9:15PM, Oct. 23, 2009
(online)
I realized very quickly that discussing clues tends to get me killed. Those types of activities are red flags, especially if you're guessing them correctly. On top of that, I've proven that when I get myself into a position where I'm protected, I help win the game for my side.

I think I will be killed early on in every game from now on. :(
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 9:21PM, Oct. 23, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
I realized very quickly that discussing clues tends to get me killed. Those types of activities are red flags, especially if you're guessing them correctly. On top of that, I've proven that when I get myself into a position where I'm protected, I help win the game for my side.

I think I will be killed early on in every game from now on. :(
Hey atleast you have a reason to be killed people just don't like me.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon