Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, Moan and Rave - 2010 edition
HippieVan at 8:02PM, Oct. 24, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Hippie Van
My pets are all spoiled
Not exactly what pops into mind looking at a cat with a pumpkin on its head…

…Was I just bitchy to Farce, Hippie and lba? If so, I apologise.

Yes. You bitchy bitch. >: (

Just kidding. Ha, but no, the costume was for my own enjoyment. Baby(the one in the picture) didn't seem to care but Annie seemed pretty pissed off when I tried to put it on her.
But they get all sorts of treats and toys and such, and top-quality food.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
lefarce at 8:28PM, Oct. 24, 2010
(online)

Someone
@Farce- why would you squish a grasshopper?

It was a praying mantis, and it was eager to box me so I punched its stupid lights out.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Ironscarf at 5:51AM, Oct. 25, 2010
(offline)
It's easy to see why people hate bugs: they are useful little creatures that promote life by keeping the biosphere running, whereas we are mostly just a blight on the face of the earth.

Of course, some blighters are more of a blight than others!

I love this time of year over here, especially when the sun is out. It's so low in the sky everything seems more 3D than usual and then there's all the colour: it's inspiring. I can't work on my strip, so maybe I'll start a new one with paper and pencil to keep me ticking over.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
seventy2 at 7:13AM, Oct. 25, 2010
(online)
I'd love to see the england you speak of. but alas, i'll have to settle for not america.
——-

I never thought my rank could be used so… condescendingly. it was one of those back handed comments. i thought i was doing good. introducing some good ideas. but i guess someone didn't like it, and boy howdy, they politely let me know.

thankfully they did it in private, so the sting was not as harsh as it could have been. yeah.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:31PM
Skullbie at 5:15PM, Oct. 25, 2010
(online)
I got flashed by one of those automated speed meters. It's a new one they put on a stop light, damnit I thought AZ was going to get rid of these things >_>

Mom jinxed me because she bragged how i didn't have any tickets the other day. >:O
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
lba at 6:13PM, Oct. 25, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
@lba- I sometimes think about getting a tattoo, but then I think how I'm probably one of the few people within 15 years of my age that hasn't got one.

That used to be my reason for not getting one, that I was one of the few people in my field that didn't have tattoos but after a while I realized that people don't have to know that you have one. I realized I was just using it as an excuse to pretend that there was some evidence for why I act and live differently than the people I work and live with. Hence why I got this particular tattoo on my shoulder, where nobody can see it. It's there for my reasons and nobody else. It's not important that others see it and I choose to live like it's not even there. I got it to remind myself of just how far I've come from where I grew up, not to show other people my past. That's what I meant about it being no big deal. I didn't quite fully realize it until after I got it, but they really don't define you in any way whatsoever. It's just a bunch of ink. It was quite the eye-opening experience for me.

I'll say the cliched line and point out that it's not for everyone, but I just realized after a while that all my reasons for doing it were more out of fear, anger and some weird belief that I had to be some special little flower and stay different in every way from everyone else. At some point I realized I was justifying things and really didn't have a reason not to, so I went ahead and did it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
bravo1102 at 10:08PM, Oct. 25, 2010
(offline)
seventy2
I never thought my rank could be used so… condescendingly. it was one of those back handed comments. i thought i was doing good. introducing some good ideas. but i guess someone didn't like it, and boy howdy, they politely let me know.

thankfully they did it in private, so the sting was not as harsh as it could have been. yeah.

Your superior was doing his job and by your account did it properly. Praise in public, correct in private. That's how you teach your subordinates because one day they could be doing your job.

I had it done to me so often I felt like a doormat. There's a reason why we have two ears and only one mouth. We should listen twice as much as we talk. Took me a long time to learn that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Ozoneocean at 1:11AM, Oct. 26, 2010
(online)
@lba- you got a dick and balls on there didn't you? :)

@Farce- a preying Mantis????? O_o
You cock!

@Scarf- I LOVE that sort of light. It's always at its absolute best with you've got grey storm clouds, and the sun is in a small clear patch of sky bellow them (morning or afternoon) so it's nice and low in the sky and it illuminates everything with a beautiful yellow glow. Things stand out wonderfully against the otherwise grey skies.

—————————–
Well I finally did my damn TAX return last night… Did it online this time but it was still almost as much bother as doing it on paper. It's so bloody stressful, even if it does only take 2 hours or so.
At east my steak dinner was magnificently delicious! Fuel for the body and brain there!
Omelette with shallots for tonight. Yum yum ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Aurora Borealis at 2:00AM, Oct. 26, 2010
(online)
So no 12 hour shifts for us in the end. Phew…

See, we thought that since the other shift has them, then we'll have them too. It's logical, right? But no, they're being moved to a different line to work on smaller models, so they get the 12 hours and we don't.

- - -
Been doodling like crazy the entire last week. Good drawing exercise. Came up with three new ideas (a Go Nagai/Guyver/Ghost Rider/“Matt Wagner” Sandman inspired street biker vigilante; a 70s inspired heroic fantasy project and a short story) which I'll draw… next century? heh.

NANOWRIMO is approaching! Anyone doing anything? I'm jumping between tackling one of the two projects that I'm pondering transferring from comics to novels format. OR maybe I'll tackle something original again. No idea.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
Ozoneocean at 5:36AM, Oct. 26, 2010
(online)
Aurora Borealis
Came up with three new ideas
Crazy man.
Man is crazy.

—————-
Yech! My arm was a little sore after exercise so I put some Tiger balm on it…
I haven't used that stuff in years.
Eeeek! My arm is so cold/hot now, it feels horrible! That stuff is awful!
But at least it doesn't ache anymore.

I let the pan get too hot so it cooked off most of the butter so my omelette stuck… dammit! I had to add olive oil. (never use nonstick pans :P)
So the omelette broke up a bit. It wasn't pretty but it still tasted good. :)

Rewatching the second series of the Office (original). Gawd that is SO painful to see! David Brent is such an awkward dick! Brilliant British humour!
lba at 6:50AM, Oct. 26, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
@lba- you got a dick and balls on there didn't you? :)

Why be redundant? Everyone already knows I have a set of those. No need to advertise.
Ozoneocean at 6:56AM, Oct. 26, 2010
(online)
lba
Why be redundant? Everyone already knows I have a set of those. No need to advertise.
I didn't :(

It's what I'd get on there ^^
bravo1102 at 10:36AM, Oct. 26, 2010
(offline)
I have just updated the comic with the scheduled updates into the middle of November. Since I'll be without the internet until 7 November I figured I'd get it done. Do it when I have the time so I can blow it off when I don't.

I also just pumped out the November Flyer for the historical society I do occasional work for.

Now if I could just clear my work bench and shoot another story or three while I'm ahead on my current comic..
lba at 12:49PM, Oct. 26, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
lba
I didn't :(

It's what I'd get on there ^^

With as manly a beard as I've got, there can be no mistaking it. Nobody can ignore my glorious facial hair.

Speaking of manliness, I'm beginning the writing of a book that I plan on illustrating, entitled 1001 manly ways to die. Submissions for ideas are always accepted, however true stories of entirely manly ways to die are preferred. As awesome as “punching helicopter shark to death as it drags you under” is, because it's fictional ( Although there are other examples of sharks attacking people out of the water by leaping at them I am aware of. ) it's not as awesome as a real example of manly death.
lefarce at 1:45PM, Oct. 26, 2010
(online)
Ironscarf
It's easy to see why people hate bugs: they are useful little creatures that promote life by keeping the biosphere running, whereas we are mostly just a blight on the face of the earth.

Of course, some blighters are more of a blight than others!

Good thing there are drastically more insects on earth than humans, so squashing one isn't even a drop in a bucket, but ok get all PETA. I'm eatin' chicken wings, and smashing ants with a hammer, s my d michael

http://i55.tinypic.com/2e6fxfl.jpg

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Ironscarf at 3:10PM, Oct. 26, 2010
(offline)
lefarce
but ok get all PETA. I'm eatin' chicken wings, and smashing ants with a hammer, s my d michael

How you relate to our arthropod friends is a matter for you and them: I was merely speculating on the relative merits of each!
I Am The 1337 Master at 3:17PM, Oct. 26, 2010
(offline)
lefarce

FUCK YOU BUG, I'M LEFARCE

I know I'm late but that's hilarious.

And I keep forgetting to say that my dad got a new car and it is the sole good Jeep on Earth probably.

And I have a performance next week.

My schedule: Monday-concert, Tuesday-sort of a day off…not really…, Wednesday: after school a LONG while, Thursday: same as Wednesday, Friday: opening night, Saturday: two shows.

I'm in a mystery dessert theater show based off the board game CLUE.

I get my own theme song last show. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
Skullbie at 5:39PM, Oct. 26, 2010
(online)
Ewwwwww this guy next to me keeps sucking snot back up his nose and being really loud about it.
ayesinback at 5:42PM, Oct. 26, 2010
(online)

lba
collecting manly deaths
ayesinback
I have a story
I reconsidered posting the story. After all, the thread's rant, moan and rave, and possibly manly men causing insect deaths.

@Iba
If you're really interested in collecting stories, maybe a dedicated thread?
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Ironscarf at 8:12PM, Oct. 26, 2010
(offline)
ayesinback
possibly manly men causing insect deaths.

I see your point - they look a lot like ladyfingers to me!
bravo1102 at 3:29AM, Oct. 27, 2010
(offline)
lba
Speaking of manliness, I'm beginning the writing of a book that I plan on illustrating, entitled 1001 manly ways to die. Submissions for ideas are always accepted, however true stories of entirely manly ways to die are preferred. As awesome as “punching helicopter shark to death as it drags you under” is, because it's fictional ( Although there are other examples of sharks attacking people out of the water by leaping at them I am aware of. ) it's not as awesome as a real example of manly death.

There should be a “Winner of their nation's highest award for valour” chapter. Read the citations of a winner of a posthumous Victoria Cross or CMH. That's always a manly way to die. John Baselone could kill a helicopter shark by spitting at it.

There could also be the 1001 Manly ways to die: how the hell did they survive that? About the manly men who somehow actually survived their manly encounters with certain death. Audie Murphy and Chuck Yaeger are two that come to mind.

— (wildebeasts in the Carribean with fruit drinks that have umbrellas in them)

Tomorrow I leave on the cruise. I finally figured out what I'm packing which is different for me. Once upon a time I'd have been all packed a week ago. The mind just doesn't work the way it used to.
Ozoneocean at 4:25AM, Oct. 27, 2010
(online)
lba
With as manly a beard as I've got, there can be no mistaking it. Nobody can ignore my glorious facial hair.
I had several lesbians friends in art school with respectable facial hair. ;)

Sometimes I miss art school… not much, but sometimes ^_^

Manly ways to die…? Or just stupid ways? And what happens when it's a woman or kid that dies in the manly, heroic way? lol!
bravo1102
1001 Manly ways to die: how the hell did they survive that?
Same goes for this. One of the first ones I'd add to that list is the South American woman that gave herself an emergency caesarian with a bread-knife when she was at home alone and suddenly went to a labour with bad complications.
-I don't care about the sacred motherhood “women's pain” blah blah crying mangina aspect of that sort of thing. but THAT was pretty f-ing amazing. The idea of gutting myself with a bread knife (of all things!) in an emergency makes my soul cringe. >_<
lba at 6:23AM, Oct. 27, 2010
(online)
If you're really interested in collecting stories, maybe a dedicated thread?

I think I might do that. Just as soon as I sit down real quick and lay out some real guidelines for submissions.

There should be a “Winner of their nation's highest award for valour” chapter. Read the citations of a winner of a posthumous Victoria Cross or CMH. That's always a manly way to die. John Baselone could kill a helicopter shark by spitting at it.

There could also be the 1001 Manly ways to die: how the hell did they survive that? About the manly men who somehow actually survived their manly encounters with certain death. Audie Murphy and Chuck Yaeger are two that come to mind.

I was halfway thinking of avoiding MOH winners, etc. just because there's already that honor bestowed upon them with the medal but I think it might be worth it anyway. I'd much rather acknowledge the folks who went out in a spectacularly awesome way and nobody gave them credit if I can, but it might make a nice chapter.

So far, what I'm thinking for the breakdown of the book is this: 1 part unbelievably awesome fictional ways to die, which would be the main portion of the book with most of the illustrations ( ie; while having sex with Katy Perry on top of a flaming bear that's jumping the grand canyon on a motor bike. ). 1 part absolutely manly real non-fictional deaths and 1 part, how in the hell did they survive that?. I guess that third part would be incredibly similar to badass of the week though.
skoolmunkee at 10:08AM, Oct. 27, 2010
(offline)
Well, for manly survivors, there was the hiker that cut his own hand or arm off.

For manly deaths? Maybe someone like the polar explorers. There was that dude (Mawson?) who was dying and holding his colleagues back and one night he got up and said ‘Im going to take a little walk’ and walked out into the antarctic blizzard and that was it.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Aurora Borealis at 4:12PM, Oct. 27, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Aurora Borealis
Came up with three new ideas
Crazy man.
Man is crazy.

Thank you!

I believe I have already enough story ideas to last me for a lifetime of drawing. At least at this slooow pace I'm working at right now. Thus I am going to bed and will have to draw something in the morning. Get on with the sketchbook, then draw this damn 30-pager!

Meanwhile I drew a simple 1-page “gruesome pirate funnies” strip layout. So now I have two. I guess I'll come up with a couple more and use it for updates soon?

- - - - -

I've heard of a new great Japanese art program called IllustStudio. Apparently it's not sold outside of Japan so I guess I'll have to get it elsewheumm… nice weather today! (no it's not, it's shit, anyway…)

One vid I saw on youtube showed me this amazing eraser tool. If you drew something that looks like the # symbol and you wanted it to be a square, you can set the eraser to cut off the unnecessary bits without having to zoom in 5000% and then carefully trim the lines. It does that automatically.

Also, while coloring, you don't need to make flats, you can make it NOT cross any lineart. It sort of auto-flats your art on the fly as you draw. Interesting!

Meanwhile it is 1am and I need to go to bed…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
Skullbie at 4:13PM, Oct. 27, 2010
(online)
So facebook isn't that bad. :0
kyupol at 6:23PM, Oct. 27, 2010
(online)
My friend is complaining about his girlfriend.

How she went from loving and sweet and affectionate and “everything you do is AWESOME”

into…

cold, harsh, with a short fuse, and “everything you do BOTHERS ME”

I told him to dump the bitch.

Or maybe this girl is demon-possessed and he should call an exorcist… >:

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Ozoneocean at 8:27PM, Oct. 27, 2010
(online)
kyupol
Yes. This is the case. ^_^
bravo1102 at 4:11AM, Oct. 28, 2010
(offline)
kyupol
My friend is complaining about his girlfriend.

How she went from loving and sweet and affectionate and “everything you do is AWESOME”

into…

cold, harsh, with a short fuse, and “everything you do BOTHERS ME”

I told him to dump the bitch.

Check the calendar. This can happen approximately every 28 days with human females. Nothing to worry about it is normal behavior.

And of course no one around you is every allowed to have a bad day. It's demons! What is this the 14th Century?

—-

About MOH winners most are forgotten very quickly and quietly because everyone assumes that they're remembered. When someone writes a book about “manliest coolest” whatever MOH and VC winners are always missing.

Butter knife? Wonder how she felt when she was done and found the X-acto set and craft knife in the junk drawer. Reminds me of that scene in Scary Movie when they go over the table of deadly implements including machine guns and hand grenades and settle for the steak knife and baseball bat.

Call your local model builder. We use scalpels and clamps in our hobby.

We leave today on the cruise. Everything is packed and ready and I am leaping around in panting anxiety.

You're bringing your laptop? Yes
But aren't you gonna do stuff? I want to write! Vacations are great times to write!
But we're gonna do stuff together! I want to write, my mind is bursting with ideas and I want to write! Vacations aren't for running around they are for quiet reflection so I can relax!

And you wonder why I have anxiety. I should call an exorcist except it's been this way for 16 years and this is her normal behavior.
Ozoneocean at 4:37AM, Oct. 28, 2010
(online)
bravo1102
Butter knife?
No. Bread knife. You know, long and with a serrated edge… a nice long sawing blade?
Yaaaa… owie!!!!!!!

Is that scene in that film? Sounds like the scene in Pulp Fiction where Bruce Willis goes through all the deadly horrible weapons in that place where Zed and the gimp and beardyman raping that guy and he selects a samurai sword.

————
She gives you that much anxiety? Definitely demons. :(

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon