General Discussion

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA!
skoolmunkee at 2:17AM, Jan. 17, 2012
(online)
posts: 7,058
joined: 1-2-2006
Lonnehart wrote:
Okay… spoiler tags.  Although I'm not sure why since it's a gameplay video that's out on Youtube (you can search for it).  Still, if that's what you want.  :)
 
 Well, just because stuff is out there doesn't mean that everybody wants to watch it, especially lately when marketing has a tendency to release the best bits of the media to build up hype. If someone does want to know stuff then they will have sought it out. But taking information that relates to missions, story, etc and posting it unspoilered in an unrelated area is generally considered pretty inconsiderate. If there was a “Mass Effect 3” thread people could discuss things there all they like, and the people who don't want to be spoiled wouldn't go there. Some of the best moments in anything come when you're not expecting that surprise, or that awesome thing or whatever, and having someone just mention it casually in an unrelated discussion basically ruins that moment before it happens. 
 
So yeah I would appreciate it if you did spoiler any stuff like that in the future, thanks :]
 
Edit: That isn't meant to sound grumpy or anything, I was just explaining- I mean, spoiler tags exist because people don't want to be spoiled on stuff right? :] I just had too good a time playing ME2 totally unspoiled and I want that to happen as much as possible with ME3 too.
 
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on Jan. 17, 2012 9:00AM
ozoneocean at 2:32AM, Jan. 17, 2012
(online)
posts: 25,050
joined: 1-2-2004
Ooh, catty! :)
-smileyface because I am not being serious.
 
I just know it's all going to be out there before I even get to it… I just really want more DLK for MEII more than anything. I was enjoying slowly expanding the universe that way.
 
gullas at 3:02AM, Jan. 17, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,308
joined: 11-14-2007
@ozone, about the best sci-fi series I'd personally go for Star Trek: Voyager. Not because I'm devoted fan it but more because it was probably my first sci-fi experience, so the series has a special place in my heart. 
bravo1102 at 4:45AM, Jan. 17, 2012
(online)
posts: 3,352
joined: 1-21-2008
Hippie Van wrote:
I started watching The Birds today. I got to the bit where there's a guy with his eyes pecked out, and it really freaked me out. Not the birds themselves, just that particular image. I'm so used to the Twilight Zone where any violence is subtle or off-screen, so I didn't expect them to show his face.
  
I couldn't stop picturing those eyes and I couldn't figure out why, until just now. My older sister let me watch The Mummy when I was really too young for it, and I got really scared by a guy in that movie who lost his eyes and tongue. It's funny how things can stick with you like that.
 

My wife is like that.  I sit there figuring out how they did the make-up effect and usually spotting the seam where the latex appliance went on.  That way it's not scary, just a movie or TV show. 
 
Then I saw the real thing and that stayed with me because there are no make-up artists or corn syrup around and I wasn't on a sound stage and I had to figure out what I was going to do about it in the next three seconds.  Look a gushing leg wound!  Look at all that blood, wow it really does look like corn syrup… right, shut up there's work to do and I know what needs to be done.
 
And the EMTs praised the dumbass tanker on a job well done. Movies?  Actors won't bleed to death or pass out from shock and I'm not there and expected to do something.  Pass the popcorn. 
Genejoke at 5:19AM, Jan. 17, 2012
(online)
posts: 3,089
joined: 4-9-2010
gullas wrote:
@ozone, about the best sci-fi series I'd personally go for Star Trek: Voyager. Not because I'm devoted fan it but more because it was probably my first sci-fi experience, so the series has a special place in my heart. 
Babylon 5.  
I don't feel any need to expand on that.
Lonnehart at 1:40PM, Jan. 17, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,588
joined: 3-16-2006
*Lonnehart wrote:
     “Okay… spoiler tags.  Although I'm not sure why since it's a gameplay video that's out on Youtube (you can search for it).  Still, if that's what you want.  :) ”
 
*Skoolmunkee's response to Lonnehart:
     “Edit: That isn't meant to sound grumpy or anything, I was just explaining- I mean, spoiler tags exist because people don't want to be spoiled on stuff right? :] I just had too good a time playing ME2 totally unspoiled and I want that to happen as much as possible with ME3 too.”
 
——
Heh…  I understand.  People love surprises.  I was just shocked that we'd see a female krogan in the game.  But I bet those guys at bioware will never EVER show us what's behind Tali's mask
 
Now if I can only find a Quarian and Turian mod for The Sims 3 so I can put Tali and Garrus in the same house….  hmmm…
 
And yes…. if you've all noticed, I'm making MY OWN QUOTES.  The quote system is quite messed up so if you try to do quotes within quotes things just go down the toilet.  Cut 'n Paste has always been my friend.  And opening another tab in IE is handy too.  :)
last edited on Jan. 17, 2012 1:44PM
HippieVan at 9:09PM, Jan. 17, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,424
joined: 3-15-2008
bravo1102 wrote:
My wife is like that.  I sit there figuring out how they did the make-up effect and usually spotting the seam where the latex appliance went on.  That way it's not scary, just a movie or TV show. 
Then I saw the real thing and that stayed with me because there are no make-up artists or corn syrup around and I wasn't on a sound stage and I had to figure out what I was going to do about it in the next three seconds.  Look a gushing leg wound!  Look at all that blood, wow it really does look like corn syrup… right, shut up there's work to do and I know what needs to be done.
And the EMTs praised the dumbass tanker on a job well done. Movies?  Actors won't bleed to death or pass out from shock and I'm not there and expected to do something.  Pass the popcorn.
You're far braver than I am, Bravo. I get scared by literally nothing on a daily basis. I hope if I'm ever in a situation like that I can keep my head like you did.
 

 
I accidentally put the power unit caps on sideways on my Enterprise model. I didn't realize what angle they'd sit at until I put the whole thing together. Other than that it looks pretty good so I think I'm going to go ahead and paint it anyway. Maybe no one will notice. :\
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
bravo1102 at 2:38AM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
posts: 3,352
joined: 1-21-2008
Hippie Van wrote:
“ You're far braver than I am, Bravo. I get scared by literally nothing on a daily basis. I hope if I'm ever in a situation like that I can keep my head like you did.”
 
 
I'm not brave.  I have social anxiety.  It's managing the fear.
Yesterday the wife and I went to my brother's father-in-law's viewing.  He was a real hero having landed on Saipan with the Marines even though he was an Army Signal Corps NCO. (Interesting story there) He later stowed away on some B-29 raids over Japan (another interesting story) and was an intelligence officer during Korea and developed the diesel fuel filter in current use as well as the avionics for the B-52.  Great guy who always had an interesting story to brighten up any conversation.  It was also the first chance to see my brother's family in a long time.
 
My nephews tower over me.  I'm 5' 11".  They're both over six feet.  Good kids.  One has a real knack for acting and singing and has a girl friend that looks like Kristin Chenowith named Kirsten.  He looks just like Justin Beiber. We'll get a family member with a stage career yet.  Should send him out to audition for SNL.  And one of my other nephew's friends built a new computer for gaming and was bemoaning that 2 terebytes wasn't enough storage. I remember when a gigabyte was a pipe dream.   
  I could have brought fliers to pitch my comic to the nephews' friends.  Judy and I went to our local diner afterward and had some amazing US Diner food.  Imagine chicken soup so thick you can't find the broth and my chicken-fired steak was almost as big as a full sized computer keyboard.
last edited on Jan. 18, 2012 2:41AM
Niccea at 9:44AM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
posts: 5,561
joined: 8-10-2007
Would it be a cry for help if I put The Duck Webcomics Forum Moderator under my experience?
ayesinback at 10:39AM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,007
joined: 8-23-2010
Niccea wrote:
Would it be a cry for help if I put The Duck Webcomics Forum Moderator under my experience?
 

maybe yes if the reader knew what the Drunk Duck site use to be.
 
like, they'd understand all the xrying and screams for help.



anyway, still loving 2012, all 18 days. (well, there has been one stinkeroo, but otherwise, remarkably civil).

Twice within a week, my boss has made every impression of listening to me. It's remarkable. That, or my wishful thinking has taken me over the line into a non-reality from which I won't be returning any time too soon cuz I'm LIKING IT.
under new management
last edited on Jan. 18, 2012 2:46PM
Lonnehart at 2:55PM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,588
joined: 3-16-2006
Well… decided to clean my computer after having upgraded it over a month ago.  So I open it up and…
 
Then I had to hire a backhoe shovel for this job…
 
Then I had to use dynamite…
 
Finally I had to grab some heavy weapons to take out the giant Dust Bunny Boss trying to glue itself to my CPU's heat sink…
 
Okay… most of that was fiction.  But there was an awful lot of dust inside.  I went ahead and made some makeshift filters for the fans to curb most of the dust without restricting air flow… hopefully.
 
Now back to work.  That Gigantic Dust Bunny Boss just reformed itself.  Looks like I have to summon the Ultra Clean Janitor Rangers and have them form the Mega MAID to take it out!  :)
last edited on Jan. 18, 2012 2:58PM
ayesinback at 3:08PM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,007
joined: 8-23-2010
Lonnehart wrote:
Well… decided to clean my computer after having upgraded it over a month ago.  So I open it up and…
 
Then I had to hire a backhoe shovel for this job…
 
Then I had to use dynamite…
 
Finally I had to grab some heavy weapons to take out the giant Dust Bunny Boss trying to glue itself to my CPU's heat sink…
 
Okay… most of that was fiction.  But there was an awful lot of dust inside.  I went ahead and made some makeshift filters for the fans to curb most of the dust without restricting air flow… hopefully.
 
Now back to work.  That Gigantic Dust Bunny Boss just reformed itself.  Looks like I have to summon the Ultra Clean Janitor Rangers and have them form the Mega MAID to take it out!  :)
OK, you.  YOU can write fiction.  The radioplay will be in need of a script . . .  I think you should consider this from the standpoint of Scriptwriter Extraordinaire!
 
because EVERYBODY knows that the only tools fix-it guys need are duct tape and WD-40
under new management
Lonnehart at 3:15PM, Jan. 18, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,588
joined: 3-16-2006
In all seriousness, the dust was pretty bad.  Even though I keep the room clean it seems to pop out of nowhere.  The filters seem to work now though.  Hopefully they'll keep most of the dust out.
 
I advise to clean out your machine once a month.  If it's particularly dusty take outside the house and use canned air on it (not the leafblower unless you want to destroy your computers innards instead).
 
This SOPA thing has got me worried.  Soon the final frontier of freedom may have its doors forcibly closed.  And we could have the internet version of the Prohibition Era.  Or something much worse…  I hope this bill doesn't pass in its present form.
ozoneocean at 4:32AM, Jan. 19, 2012
(online)
posts: 25,050
joined: 1-2-2004
A lament for a week almost done, to the Tune of Where did our love go by the Supremes:
 
Baby, baby
Baby don't leave me
Ooh, please don't leave me
All by myself
 
I've got this yearning, burning
Yearning feelin' inside me
Ooh, deep inside me
And it hurts so bad
 
You started off so well
so much potential
With burning ambition
That was driving me
 
Now it's almost over
Output inconsequential
It's Thursday night
unfortunately
 
Ooh, baby, baby
Where did my week go?
Like an apple, days eaten away
All I'm left with is the core
 
Ooh, baby
Baby, baby
Where did my week go?
And that promise
Of artwork, forever no more
 
bravo1102 at 7:26AM, Jan. 19, 2012
(online)
posts: 3,352
joined: 1-21-2008
What is past is history, the future a mystery.  Right now is a gift and that's why it's called the present. 
 
Took me forever to realize it, but there really is enough time for everything, it's just that I waste much of it avoiding stuff rather than doing stuff and then feeling overwhelmed and using that as an excuse not to get things done.  But that's my life.  I'm certain there's a lesson there but I know I won't live long enough to learn it.  But at least I won't feel as bad.
gullas at 12:05PM, Jan. 19, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,308
joined: 11-14-2007
is it just me or can anyone see other peoples avatars/pages?
ayesinback at 12:38PM, Jan. 19, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,007
joined: 8-23-2010
gullas wrote:
is it just me or can anyone see other peoples avatars/pages?
so far - everything appears as fine as it did yesterday – I still have the flash ads, can still see comic pages, and avis.
 
lucky me?
under new management
gullas at 1:03PM, Jan. 19, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,308
joined: 11-14-2007
oh well, everything is going smoothly now… so I can't complain :P
rokulily at 3:16PM, Jan. 19, 2012
(online)
posts: 1,109
joined: 2-26-2008
break ends tomorrow. ugh. must have an adventure and be home at a reasonible time!
 
Gunwallace at 7:26PM, Jan. 19, 2012
(online)
posts: 257
joined: 10-13-2010
Testify, brother!
ozoneocean wrote:
A lament for a week almost done, to the Tune of Where did our love go by the Supremes:
 
Baby, baby
Baby don't leave me
Ooh, please don't leave me
All by myself
 
I've got this yearning, burning
Yearning feelin' inside me
Ooh, deep inside me
And it hurts so bad
 
You started off so well
so much potential
With burning ambition
That was driving me
 
Now it's almost over
Output inconsequential
It's Thursday night
unfortunately
 
Ooh, baby, baby
Where did my week go?
Like an apple, days eaten away
All I'm left with is the core
 
Ooh, baby
Baby, baby
Where did my week go?
And that promise
Of artwork, forever no more
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
ozoneocean at 2:23AM, Jan. 20, 2012
(online)
posts: 25,050
joined: 1-2-2004
^_^
 
——-
 
SO… HOT… I will now vedge out in the coolest part of the house, watch a DVD, eat a snack and draw.
 
Niccea at 10:57AM, Jan. 21, 2012
(online)
posts: 5,561
joined: 8-10-2007
First day of business school. Yay. (Secretly planing my hostile takeover of DrunkDuck and then Wowio).
rokulily at 11:02AM, Jan. 21, 2012
(online)
posts: 1,109
joined: 2-26-2008
Niccea wrote:
(Secretly planing my hostile takeover of DrunkDuck and then Wowio).
 do you need assistance?
 
 
also today was alright, snowed- and had to get up early to get to school only to show up and have it canceled. friend in the same class drove me home and we hung out, had lunch and hot cocoa, and watched a movie in the kitchen while we ate until the snow stopped and it was safer for him to drive. now time to draw and then help with moms dinner party!
 
 
last edited on Jan. 21, 2012 11:08AM
HippieVan at 1:26PM, Jan. 21, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,424
joined: 3-15-2008
Went to see my grandparents today for the first time in ages. My family had a big falling out some five years ago and I hadn't seen them since then. My granddad had cancer last year though, so it seemed like the right thing to do. I was really stressed out about it, but it went okay. Neither of them would mention what had happened, other than "We've missed you ever so," so it was a little awkward. On the plus side, my grandma made belgian waffles.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
Call Me Tom at 2:39PM, Jan. 21, 2012
(online)
posts: 217
joined: 10-28-2010
@ Hippie Van, take my advice when it comes to family try to make the most of the time you have with each other because its to late when there gone.
Lonnehart at 9:07PM, Jan. 21, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,588
joined: 3-16-2006
Heh… last night was a bit exciting.  Someone tried to make off with a moped.  You know.. two wheels, 500 pounds of metal, plastic and rubber.  I found it out of place.  I guess I scared away whoever was trying to steal it because I heard running footfalls just as I rounded a corner where it was.  Had to wait ‘til 4 in the morning (around 1.5 hours) before I could wake the owners as they had just come from a long trip and were sleeping heavily.  They were happy to get their moped back (it belonged to the tenant’s son), although they had to get the steering lock fixed.  Now it's further secured with a cable going through the back wheel to lock the thing so it would be hard to move.  I hope they take my advice and find a large object to strap to it.  It doesn't have to be heavy, but it will make stealing the thing more difficult.
 
Heh… had to modify one of those filters I made for my computer fans.  Found that a fan had sucked in and torn up one of the makeshift filters.  Fixing the fan wasn't hard, but now I've got some metal wire mesh to keep the filter from being sucked in again. 
 
Too bad, Giant Dragon Dust Bunny…  You're stuck in that filter ‘til I decide to let you go…  into the rubbish bin.  Or is that the garbage can? 
 
Oh… and Hippie… take Tom’s advice and spend as much time with your grandparents and try to take home as many memories as you can.  And make the most of your visit. :)
last edited on Jan. 21, 2012 9:14PM
Rengishi at 7:40AM, Jan. 22, 2012
(online)
posts: 437
joined: 4-3-2009
Sooo……My mother kicked me out on Friday, yeah.
PSN account: OrangeDJ1
gullas at 5:33PM, Jan. 22, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,308
joined: 11-14-2007
So I saw some northen lights tonight, which isn't a rare sight but I'd think a bit rare here because of the lights here. Dark greenish, but kinda cool never the less.

Talking about Aurora Borealis I do mish his(her?) daily updates of his comic productivity updates, but I guess Lonnehart has kinda taken over that with his epic battles against the dust bunnies….
Lonnehart at 6:09PM, Jan. 22, 2012
(online)
posts: 2,588
joined: 3-16-2006
gullas wrote:
So I saw some northen lights tonight, which isn't a rare sight but I'd think a bit rare here because of the lights here. Dark greenish, but kinda cool never the less.

Talking about Aurora Borealis I do mish his(her?) daily updates of his comic productivity updates, but I guess Lonnehart has kinda taken over that with his epic battles against the dust bunnies….
I wish I could see those lights.  However, if I can somehow see those lights from where I'm at right now, we're all in a lot of trouble…
ozoneocean at 8:08PM, Jan. 22, 2012
(online)
posts: 25,050
joined: 1-2-2004
Rengishi wrote:
Sooo……My mother kicked me out on Friday, yeah.
That's pretty damn tragic. I hope you find somewhere to go man.
 

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved