Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Banes at 3:19PM, Dec. 19, 2013
(offline)
That is seriously awesome, bravo! And a good sign when your calls are being returned! Break a leg, man; very excited for ya!

Ozoneocean at 8:13PM, Dec. 19, 2013
(online)
Congratulations Bravo!
I hope that there will be many boobs in your future.
What more can a man wish for?

——

Banes, with your change in Avi, my mental image of you is all confused… From being a neat haired fellow, it's not a shaggy haired, scruffy man! Surely I'm not the only one?

——

I am ready to stich buttons onto my hussar Dolman! I unpicked all the original pewter button last night. The extra ones I'd already sewed on myself were harder to get off… I really stiched them well. What a waste of thread though :(
But out with the old and in with the shiny bright new! There are 82 buttons to total to go on there. The ball buttons are a challange because they're so heavy. But I'm still really looking forward to it. :)
Lonnehart at 8:18PM, Dec. 19, 2013
(online)
Congrats, Bravo! I can't wait to see how that works out. :)

Gotta love it when my dreams torment me. I literally me the girl of my dreams in it. Only to be approached by a guy who tells me to stay away from her. Then later seeing them together having a moment…

Then again, I guess time when this happened to me a lot (when I was younger) is probably so seared into my mind that it'll pop up even in my dreams. T_T

I think I'll look up when humanity started using uniforms. I seriously doubt cavemen would've thought of the idea. Or maybe they did… hmm…
HippieVan at 9:00PM, Dec. 19, 2013
(online)
Good luck, Bravo!

Lonnehart wrote:
Gotta love it when my dreams torment me. I literally me the girl of my dreams in it. Only to be approached by a guy who tells me to stay away from her. Then later seeing them together having a moment…
Oh man, I always get shot down in my dreams too! Or sometimes I'll meet someone who I really admire and they're a terrible jerk to me.
In my case these things have never really happened, it's just anxieties playing themselves out I guess. What weird and terrible things our own brains do to us.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
bravo1102 at 6:32AM, Dec. 20, 2013
(offline)
But what do you do when you meet the woman of your dreams for real and you're in a stable happy long-term relationship? Can you take that first step into the unknown? I couldn't. But it was a nice few months hanging out (AND NOTHING ELSE!). We both continued with our repective spouses.

Then there was that lovely redhead who was her friend and like I got a hard-on just watching her play with her hair and holy shit… and why hadn't I spent all that time talking to her?

The current dream is find a a girl really into me, get hot with her, then send the rest of the dream trying to find her again while there's this pain in the ass plot moving along and all I want is to find this girl again… and it's like “Yeah, yeah, zombie apoclyspe where's that girl?”

Then I had teh opposite twist on it the other night where she was everywhere, I'm going quadruplets? Quintuplets? Mass-production of clones? There's hundreds of her but only one was interested in me? Or am I going to be played for a sucker by her hundreds of identical sisters? And when did we start going to a Japanese High School and develop these huge ass eyes?
Ozoneocean at 6:45AM, Dec. 20, 2013
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
I think I'll look up when humanity started using uniforms. I seriously doubt cavemen would've thought of the idea. Or maybe they did… hmm…
I'm not really interested in uniforms for their own sake, only when it's something where you can both easily see its lineage in the apearance and at the same time it's an expression of high fashion in its own right- Like the Hussar uniform. :)

No matter what Bravo says about practicality, so much is ritualisied into mere glorious expression of aesthetics more impressive than any catwalk designer could contemplate.

BUT, the other day while browsing for Christmas gifts in an electronics shop I looked over and sanding right next to me was a female city council ranger (in charge of the parks and stuff). She had on straight legged, bulky trousers with pockets at the knees and tight at her slim wasit, bulky work boots on her feet, and a long sleaved workshirt with the sleaves rolled up to the the elbows, and sewn on patches and badges and button epulettes. Her hair was pulled into a tight bun.
My heart almost stopped at the sight. She looked gorgeous! Wow. @_@

————

Uniforms have a lot of origins- Traditional cultural outfits that one tribe wears because of the weather, the types of materials and dyes that are common where they are- things that make them distinct from other tribes… From bulk made gear, such as armies are provided with for protection. Trying to make your army look distinct from the other army so you don't kill them by accident and also make them look more impressive and fearsome and giving them a unified identity and commonality reinforcing their on team culture… also incorporating the fashions of your culture… Those things all come together.
Gunwallace at 9:51AM, Dec. 20, 2013
(offline)
Good luck with the movie pitch, Bravo!
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
lba at 5:15PM, Dec. 20, 2013
(online)
I'm too lazy to go back and read the last three pages or so I've missed, but damn you guys. Some serious uniform boners in here.

On that note though, I just got back from a couple days in the field and I've come to a realization. Girl's attractiveness to men appears to have a direct correlation to how long you've been in the woods and how dirty she's willing to get. Some of the most homely looking women in my unit become veritable goddesses in the eyes of the males here after about 2-3 days of rolling in the mud. It's always the women who are most willing to get filthy and work really hard who get the biggest swing in their popularity, especially if they're short, which is the only part I can't figure out a rational explanation for. Most of my male soldiers don't realize the LT's overhear their comments, and I'm learning what gets them all going pretty quickly and apparently dirty ACU's are a big hit among the 18-24 male demographic.
kawaiidaigakusei at 6:48PM, Dec. 20, 2013
(online)
lba wrote:
Some serious uniform boners in here.
this.

.::.

Can you blame it though? Some uniforms are really attractive on their own. I loved having a uniform when I was in school.

Back to the subject of dreams-
I recently had a pretty concupiscent dream with a guy last week. Right before anything happened, I excused myself to brush my teeth. When I finally got back to the action, the walls of the room disappeared and half a dozen people kept walking in and disrupted the dream.

I think a lot of my dream inhibitions stem from my pent up frustrations and accumulated loads of Catholic guilt over the years.

But seriously, has anyone ever found that things get really awkward after having an intimate dream with a person you know? Especially the following day when you have to interact and go about your regular business.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Dec. 20, 2013 9:45PM
HippieVan at 8:11PM, Dec. 20, 2013
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Can you blame it though? Some uniforms are really attractive on their own. I loved having a uniform when I was in school.

The only uniforms I've ever had were for retail jobs, and those are uuuuugly. Why haven't shops gotten the message about flattering uniforms yet?

But seriously, has anyone ever found that things get really awkward after having an intimate dream with a person you know? Especially the following day when you have to interact and go about your regular business.

Ugh, yep! People who I have no interest in in real life are seemingly the only ones who don't shoot my down in my dreams. What the heck, brain.

Why are all resume templates so stupid and ugly? I'm updating my CV and was scrolling through them, and it seems like almost every template cuts out a huge chunk of the side for a stripe of colour, headings, a photograph, etc.
Like http://templatesforcv.com/wp-content/uploads/Programmer.jpg]THIS…I'm no designer but I'm pretty sure there's no reason for the text to start at the centre of the freakin page.
kawaiidaigakusei at 8:43PM, Dec. 20, 2013
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
The only uniforms I've ever had were for retail jobs, and those are uuuuugly.
Oh, I have experienced my share of ugly uniforms. The navy blue polo shirt that comes in outrageous non-fitted sizes (seams are there for a reason!); the white collared shirt that made people on the street mistaken me for a bible salesperson; the white polo shirt with khaki pants and worker boots. I once had to go six months straight wearing the same pair of pants because we were required to wear that specific brand. Those uniforms were not attractive in the least bit.
HippieVan wrote:
I'm pretty sure there's no reason for the text to start at the centre of the freakin page.
White space on a resume is prime real estate. One reason to leave it blank is due to lack of experience or time.

Oh yes, and amazing arm knittings on the previous page! That yarn looks so unique.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Dec. 20, 2013 9:01PM
bravo1102 at 8:53AM, Dec. 21, 2013
(offline)
Toy soldiers, army men, paper soldiers, voraciously reading uniform books I started at a young age. Just look at my comics the love of uniform is there. All that insignia is documented (except for the Aordians that was designed in high school)
And you have these guys greeting you as you enter my house:
54mm French Fusilier 1815 (background is French Voltiguer 1805)

54mm French Chasseur of the Imperial Guard 1812 (campaign uniform)

1/6th scale French Grenadier of the Imperial Guard 1812 in campaign dress.

I have over 300 scale miniatures ranging from the 1680s to the present. I tried to have representaives from all the major combatants of the periods but there simply aren't enough years in a life to assemble and paint them all. Maybe if I stopped this whole webcomic thing and went back to where my expertise on uniforms and creaive skills were appreciated. :P (kidding, I love all of you for putting up with me all these years)
Ozoneocean at 9:17AM, Dec. 21, 2013
(online)
Make your own resume design. That's what I always did. Templates really do suck… I can sympathise with the designer in that they had to be as general as possible, but it's still bad.

Ah, I've had my fair share of being part of th corporate uniform design process as part of my job… It's ALWAYS some dick or group of dicks at the business that come up with the uniforms though. They're based on personal preferances, the culture of the business (generally and specifically), coprorate colours, and basically what they can afford on the budget or how many shirts or whatever that a particular supplier has available.
I'll do up a graphic of how the finished product will look, complete with logos etc…
I would never wear one myself and won't ever touch another polo shirt or cap style hat.

Some bussinesses do go for a flattering uniform look, usually that's more office based things like insurance companies… You know there's a woman in charge of the corproate uniform when you see all the good styles she picks out for the female employees. Men just go for the simplest, dumbest, most booring and ugly shit.
The best uiforms I did were for a racing team. I custom designed jackets and shirts… too bad those were never used. They were moderist and cool. Anything to do with sport is a mistake though- if a sportsperson is in charge it will be the most terrible, worst, uglisest excrement possible. Male or female, sportspeople have the aesthetic sense of bacteria.

SSpeaking of uniform design- Jean Paul Gaultier did some primo stuff for the Fith Elemet. Costume design in general, but the uniforms for the airline hostesses were greeeaaat! ^_^
Ozoneocean at 9:21AM, Dec. 21, 2013
(online)
Love that last one the best Bravo. Those intricate details are the best parts of those uniforms!
lba at 7:45PM, Dec. 21, 2013
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
this.
.::.
I think a lot of my dream inhibitions stem from my pent up frustrations and accumulated loads of Catholic guilt over the years.

Honestly, I never think about uniforms other than to wonder what the people wearing them look like without them on. And I don't mean in the nude. I can figure that out on my own. I just wonder what those people wear when they're off the clock, what they do with their hair, etc. For instance, I work with an female officer who is currently from Kentucky, but was born and raised half-Japanese, and to meet her in uniform, she looks like every white girl you'd ever meet from Kentucky. Take off the uniform and black frame glasses and she's suddenly making every guy in the room uncomfortable with his attraction to Asian girls.

As for dreams. I usually manage to make things awkward enough on my own, what with being socially stupid and overly friendly, that I'm not much embarrassed by what happened in my subconscious as much as I'm usually embarrassed by whatever stupid thing I said yesterday that made it sound like I was awkwardly trying pick-up lines on them.
last edited on Dec. 21, 2013 7:47PM
bravo1102 at 7:52AM, Dec. 22, 2013
(offline)
The most appropriate retail uniform is the Home Depot work apron. Makes one look like a real life guy who knows what he's doing in construction. The hand scrawled name tag is a good touch too.
Among the most ironic is Target (and the long gone Caldor). Two discounters who pretty much treat their employees as disposable: a red shirt.

When I in the military and surrounded in uniforms I got to the point where the only things I saw was insignia. I read what the uniform told me about the person (name tag, rank, combat patch, CIB, airborne wings etc) and went from there. There are also assumtions one can make about how a uniform is worn. Professional, spiffy(don't get the unifomr dirty!), sad sack, Joe Dirt the rag bag, Airborne!, Hidden(there anybody in there? I hear a voice…) Over time I learned that though they all looked supposedly identical, they were really anything but.
Ozoneocean at 6:43PM, Dec. 22, 2013
(online)
With dreams and sex things are more likely to resemble a Carry On comedy for me- no problem getting it on but something bizarre, socially awkward and silly might crop up to scotch things. :)

Oh dear, the stupid infection in my arm has been there since Saturday, gradually getting worse, even with antibiotcs. It is as itchy as an absoloute bastard right now!!!!
I'm seeing the doctor about it in an hour or so…
HippieVan at 8:06PM, Dec. 22, 2013
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
The most appropriate retail uniform is the Home Depot work apron. Makes one look like a real life guy who knows what he's doing in construction. The hand scrawled name tag is a good touch too.
Among the most ironic is Target (and the long gone Caldor). Two discounters who pretty much treat their employees as disposable: a red shirt.
Yeah, “ugly” is alright in a place like that.
The pet shop I used to work in had two choices: a vest or a polo shirt. Both were completely shapeless, despite the fact that at least 90%+ of the company's retail employees were women. I worked there while it was transitioning its image from a low-cost chain to an upscale one and while the logo and corporate colors had changed, the basic style of the uniforms remained. I will never, ever understand retail's obsession with those types of uniforms. I'm sure we would have looked far more professional with fitted shirts, at least.

I hope your arm gets better soon, oz! Sometimes bodies do weird things…my little sister hurt her toe somehow (she didn't even remember doing it) and spent literally two years fighting off an infection around the toenail. Eventually she had the nail removed.
I imagine an arm is easier because you can keep it out of harm's way a little better than something you walk on, though. Good luck!
kawaiidaigakusei at 8:37PM, Dec. 22, 2013
(online)
lba wrote:
I work with a female officer who is currently from Kentucky, but was born and raised half-Japanese, and to meet her in uniform, she looks like every white girl you'd ever meet from Kentucky. Take off the uniform and black frame glasses and she's suddenly making every guy in the room uncomfortable with his attraction to Asian girls.

I have reason to believe that your coworker is the female version of Clark Kent. However in this case, instead of transforming into Superman, she turns Asian.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Dec. 22, 2013 8:41PM
Lonnehart at 9:31PM, Dec. 22, 2013
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
lba wrote:
I work with a female officer who is currently from Kentucky, but was born and raised half-Japanese, and to meet her in uniform, she looks like every white girl you'd ever meet from Kentucky. Take off the uniform and black frame glasses and she's suddenly making every guy in the room uncomfortable with his attraction to Asian girls.

I have reason to believe that your coworker is the female version of Clark Kent. However in this case, instead of transforming into Superman, she turns Asian.
Better than my coworker. He's a nice guy until morning comes and we have to turn in our gear… That's when he instantly transforms. I have to fight the urge to punch him when he leers at the schoolgirls at the nearby bus stop. “Dirty old man” indeed…. >:-(
Ozoneocean at 10:58PM, Dec. 22, 2013
(online)
Sooooooo itchy! OMG!
The doc gave me a different type of antibiotics, that's all. If it doesn't improve , go back again and try different antibiotics… etc. Whatever. Basically the level of doctoring I could do in my sleep; an expensive signature to allow me to buy antibiotics that I know I need anyway. Whatever.
I got offered a free tetanus vaccination… I hate needles so no. Plus, I'm not going to be working in the dirt at a farm so pretty pointless.

Hippie, your sis probably had a resistant infection. They should've used stronger antibiotics on that. Leaving it so long is dangerous, she could've got blood poisoning… unless it was just re-infection and not a continuous thing. I'm glad it was finally beaten though!

—————-

Some of the family on my dad's side look a bit Asian. I beleive there was premarital hanky panky from my grandmother way back in the 1940s (possibly with a US serviceman)… It's in the eyes, the eyebrows, the black hair, the noses… The thing is that I suspect my dad and his big sister were the premarital progeny, and the more Asian relaives are the legitimates ones. My paternal grandfather did have that look about him subtely and I see that in my dad's younger siblings and my cousins, even the half aboriginal ones, but not at all in my immediate family.
It's hard to know… subtle genetic traits come out in strange ways. I have the giant pointy beak nose of my paternal grandmother and the slight frame, light hair and eyes from my mum's side.
bravo1102 at 7:13AM, Dec. 23, 2013
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
You sure it's not into some kind of Battle Girl?
Ozoneocean at 7:43AM, Dec. 23, 2013
(online)
Bravo- Battle Girls: Time Paradox

I watched all of that the other day! Loved it!!! So cool. Lots of fanservice too, which is a bonus. That was a fantastic little series.
I've been trying to get into Girl Und Panzer recently- the tank-porn is cool as is the fact that it all happens on the back of a super gigantic version of a WW2 aircraft carier with a whole city on it, but the premise is just waaaay too bizarre and they never really attempt to give it any logical context… not even a handwaving fantasy one. So that makes it hard to get into. -Battle Girls: Time Paradox makes more sense and that's saying something!
Is it worth sticking with it?
bravo1102 at 9:23AM, Dec. 23, 2013
(offline)
Both Battle Girls: Time Paradox and Girls und Panzer only have 13 episodes so there's not a whole lot to really stick with.

I consider the aircraft carrier thing in Girls und Panzer as just more militry porn as each school has a carrier in fitting with their panzer “personality” The American is Nimitz, the Germans Graf Zeppelin etc. Honestly knowing how awful the neighborhoods can be around schools maybe putting them at sea on a carrier isn't such a bad idea. Easily enforcable “Drug Free School Zone”
In Girls und Panzer the tank stuff is great, but they also explain how tanks work and their downsides. You could tell the same stroy with soccer teams but there'd be no tie-ins with model makers and World of Tanks. It's girls school competetive teams but it just happens to be tanks.
It's about time there was an anime series for guys who like tanks as opposed to giant robots. Tamiya, Dragon, Tri Star and Fine Molds will provide the model kits and let's go! Um excuse me, PANZER VOR! They even tie in with real military music!

Ever look at a Bandai catalog? There are hundreds of giant robot models. Finally a series for tank modellers. The tie-in kits are super expensive in the USA but I'd still consider putting one next to my conventionally marked PzKpfw IV's. And fortunately I understand all the German they put into the subs in the US version but is that truly necessary because it's not in the Japanese?
Lonnehart at 2:05PM, Dec. 23, 2013
(online)
Ugh… that crazy minister was on the radio again. He's still raving about how instead of “worshipping” the demon who's disguised as an old man in a red suit and bribing children into worshipping him with presents, they should be in church (preferably HIS church), singing praises to the creator diety and giving the church offerings… Sometimes I want to go to his church and give him a piece of my mind. Well… without getting me arrested for causing a public disturbance…

Insulin injections are… weird. Injection on the right side of my belly causes me no pain at all. I don't feel anything! But when done on the left side its painful. But I don't have a choice. Gotta rotate the injection sites or something wierd might happen to the skin. -_-

Time to prepare for Xmas Eve. And make sure to remind my nieces to NOT open their presents in front of their mother. My sister has the crazy craving for chocolate. It gets bad on Halloween night when she grabs all the chocolate candy from their bags after the Trick or Treating is done (my nieces now hide their chocolate in seperate bags before coming home… not that it helps)…
HippieVan at 8:39PM, Dec. 23, 2013
(online)
My university newspaper does this musician/band contest every year and I was just going through all the submissions. I was actually starting to get angry at how every single song was just depressing as hell. I mean, that's alright sometimes but isn't anyone happy to be falling in love or angry at the system or anything any more? It was all just horrible “You don't love me any more and I'm stuck in a dead end job etc” moaning.

Lonnehart wrote:
Better than my coworker. He's a nice guy until morning comes and we have to turn in our gear… That's when he instantly transforms. I have to fight the urge to punch him when he leers at the schoolgirls at the nearby bus stop. “Dirty old man” indeed…. >:-(
If we had a DD “Most Chivalrous User” award you would probably win it every year, Lonne. :)
Lonnehart at 9:43PM, Dec. 23, 2013
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
My university newspaper does this musician/band contest every year and I was just going through all the submissions. I was actually starting to get angry at how every single song was just depressing as hell. I mean, that's alright sometimes but isn't anyone happy to be falling in love or angry at the system or anything any more? It was all just horrible “You don't love me any more and I'm stuck in a dead end job etc” moaning.

Lonnehart wrote:

If we had a DD “Most Chivalrous User” award you would probably win it every year, Lonne. :)
Well… Chivalry aside, I have a niece who's currently attending high school. I imagine every parent/uncle/aunt would want to punch out any lech leering at their child when they're attending school.
lba at 8:05AM, Dec. 24, 2013
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
lba wrote:

When you put it that way, it becomes even more entertaining. I was just taking it at face value that in uniform she just looks like your average tiny white girl and that what was catching their attention was the sudden change, but I like that idea better. Either way, I think it's hilarious. She turns bright red whenever she overhears anyone not recognize her, or make a comment about how different she looks. Highly amusing. I think part of the reason she likes to work with me is that my size, which looks even bigger next to her, keeps some of the worst comments silent.

On that note, I'm with Lonne. I get the urge to smash faces in, even when I don't know the target of their creepin'. I mean, I get it. We're all human in this world. We all have urges and sneak glances now and then at someone we find attractive, but I hold a special hatred for the creepy pervs who enjoy staring at school girls. It might be the last year or two of doing police work on base, but I can't stomach those guys after some of the stuff I've seen come across my desk with them.
Ozoneocean at 8:39AM, Dec. 27, 2013
(online)
I woke up with a baaad headache this morning. Right in the left temple. It felt like a nail had been hammered into a spot on the side of my head- the pain came from a very specific point.

So I dosed up on strong headache pills and by the aftrenoon I was spaced right out. Feeling that dopey and floaty is very unpleasent for me. I find it extremely hard to get anything useful done. I hate it. Being drunk is way better, that has the oposite effect on productivity: it narrows my focus so I can easily work on one single thing and really get into it. Coordination and judgment suffers, but it's a lot easier to slip past the usual brainblocks and get the work done.

Feeling high and dopey just leaves me next to uselss. Coordination and jugement are fine but my focuss is so spread out and difuse that getting anything done at all takes extreme effort and I'm really only good for just laying out in a comfy chair and watching TV.
I can't stand that sort of innaction!
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:44PM, Dec. 27, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Being drunk is way better, that has the oposite effect on productivity: it narrows my focus so I can easily work on one single thing and really get into it. Coordination and judgment suffers, but it's a lot easier to slip past the usual brainblocks and get the work done.
So true. The papers I had written after drinking less than one ounce of wine came out more eloquent than after drinking highly caffeinated beverages. It has to do with being less stressed and focusing on the ideas rather than the time crunch. I can be extremely productive when I have had a bit of alcohol, but if I have too much, I just fall asleep.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Dec. 28, 2013 7:05AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon