Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Lonnehart at 11:32PM, Jan. 15, 2014
(online)
A coworker gives me this movie to watch called “She's Out of my League”. It's about this somewhat average TSA agent guy who's got this bad track record at dating. He had a girlfriend who broke up with him a while ago and some good friends who don't think much of him either.

So while at work he meets this georgous woman. His friends/coworkers try to flirt with her (including his boss) and he's the only person who is polite with her. After returning her phone to her (and helpng with an incident at a party), the woman is clearly attracted to him.

Cue his friends who think he's luckier than he deserves trying to break the two up, an exgirlfriend who feels so upstaged by the woman that she vows to take back the man she dumped, the georgeous woman's exboyfriend who declares the same for the woman, and the man's family who also don't approve of this budding relationship between an average guy and a very successful woman. The one thing that's really a threat is this guy's insecurities because he can't believe his luck.

And the actress playing the female lead? Alice Eve. The male lead character's name? Kirk. Guess which Star Trek movie Alice Eve stars in and the name of that movie's male lead? :)

As for the movie… that's one very unlikely situation. :)
last edited on Jan. 15, 2014 11:34PM
Ozoneocean at 12:43AM, Jan. 16, 2014
(online)
@Bravo- Great idea for a comic! The Brits have some great Hussar gear, appart from their crappy skinny busbies… no one beats the French elites with their proud colpacks! The Brits do go a bit mad on the amount of lace on occasion though… They must have been an extremely wealthy army to afford all that! Way more decorated hussar uniforms than any other country. Even I find it a touch overboard. D:
I haveven't seen Sharpe's challange yet but I saw the making of vid, and Sharpe's dolman has lost its appeal there. It's a later version with about 200 buttons. Doesn't look anywhere near as good as the old one, which bean actually owns and has at home himself, along with his sword from the series. :)
I've seen Simison's gutting twice now and it's pretty bad. A couple of cuts and he's crying and whimpering, and then a final gut stab where the sword is really rammed in and Henry crawls away on his belly bleeding. It wasn't just a humiliation,

With the actors, Elizibeth Hurly showed her tits, the only woman who did I think, and of course there's a Pre-bond Danial Craig as another sadistic rapist vilian… with a very young, pretty-boy face.
I didn't realise that about the Prince Regent, he looked too young! :)
…and a lot fatter…
Michael Cochrane as Simerson plays that character so masterfully unlikeably! And in reality he seems to be a really lovely guy. He's a real stalwart of the British acting establisment. He's been in everything and a gazllion radio plays, even the Archers… probably still is in there I think.
—————————

@Lonne -It's not unlikley. Beautiful women are atracted to average and even hidious uys all the time, same with the other way around.

Haha, that reminds me of the lyrics to the Joe Jackson song, Is She Really Going Out With Him?
“Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street”
and:
“Here comes Jeanie with her new boyfriend
They say that looks don't count for much
If so, there goes your proof”

I saw that filmon the flight over the the US in 2010… it was dopey but I liked it, probably helped that it was a lot about airports and things so I idendtified with it at the time! Then a year or so later I saw it cheap at the DVD shop, so I just HAD to buy it! I still really HATE that scene where she dry humps him and he ejaculates in his pants, and the dog tries to lick it and then that whole crap happens with her parents suddenly coming over… ugggh!!!!
kawaiidaigakusei at 1:06AM, Jan. 16, 2014
(online)
I watched She's Out Of My League because Jay Baruchel had promise, but they made him look less than a “five” next to webbed toe girl that it took years after that movie and The Sorcerer's Apprentice (gag) for me to place him on the good ladder. He finally redeemed himself in This Is the End last summer.

Well, the Golden Globes Award Show just ended, which means I have a grip of movies to catch up on that I missed last year. I finally got around to watching American Hustle and it made me really regret that I missed the 1970s. There were plenty of BeeGees songs in the soundtrack and the set designs and make up/hair stylists were a class act. In fact, I seriously started thinking about which wallpaper style I would use for a 1970s style room in my next apartment. I never thought in a million years that I would consider wallpaper because that was what we had in my childhood home, but I love the colors! They have this Art Nouveau Revival quality to the style.

( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
HippieVan at 2:38PM, Jan. 16, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I watched She's Out Of My League because Jay Baruchel had promise, but they made him look less than a “five” next to webbed toe girl that it took years after that movie and The Sorcerer's Apprentice (gag) for me to place him on the good ladder. He finally redeemed himself in This Is the End last summer.
I've had a bit of a thing for Jay Baruchel since he was in The Trotsky.I think it's mostly because I have such a crush on the real Trotsky, though. (I know that's a little bit weird. Do other history students get historical crushes? I don't know.)

ozoneocean wrote:
Beautiful women are atracted to average and even hidious uys all the time, same with the other way around.

It's pretty darn rare to see it the other way around in tv/movies, though, which is a bit irritating.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 4:04PM, Jan. 16, 2014
(online)
Great. Now I can see why my Loser/Unlucky Sim Eric Rezol (from The Sims 3) ended up in several relationships when I accidentally left the game running one night while at work. -_-

Another subject…

Don't you hate it when this happens? Long ago one Transformers character impressed me more than any other. No, it's not that robot truck, and it's not the leader of the evil faction that fights that robot truck. It's actually…

A giant planet eating robot. That guy's voice scared me when I first heard it. He sounded like what he should sound like…. a powerful yet bored godlike being who spoke with little emotion. And when he does speak with emotion, you can feel that emotion despite his speaking in a deadpan manner. Of course it helps that Unicron was voiced by Orson Welles. I think it was him anyway…

Unicron then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNsOGt3bHk

Unicron recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCKsuI_QPjw

Since then the quality of his voice has gone down from there. Sometimes Unicron is just a feral beast. Othertimes he's a da**ed fop acting all superior to everyone else and being totally overt about it. Didn't sound like the evil, terrible diety of destruction I remembered from teh 80's movie. Makes me wonder where the quality voice acting went… and it's the same with all these anime aimed at kids…
last edited on Jan. 16, 2014 4:50PM
HippieVan at 8:11PM, Jan. 16, 2014
(online)
I find that these days I like most people that I meet, but there's a guy in one of my classes who has just completely gotten off on the wrong foot with me. He seems like a middle school bully who never quite outgrew his obnoxiousness.
Today I was talking and laughing with a friend of his before class started and this guy came up and basically inserted himself into the conversation, making no effort to include me. It looked a bit like jealousy, actually. The most irritating part is that we were talking about a group project at the time so it was kind of an important conversation. -_-

I made what I think is a pretty good DD Awards wrap-up newspost for tomorrow, so I hope you all like it! :)
I didn't have time to make a nice picture for it, unfortunately.
last edited on Jan. 16, 2014 8:14PM
Gunwallace at 10:43PM, Jan. 16, 2014
(offline)
Woot! I got an award! I should go on holiday more often.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Genejoke at 9:51AM, Jan. 17, 2014
(online)
well yes you probably should, but not for the award. holidaya can be fun y'know…

So lite bites has a new page up, first in over six months.
Looking to get that going again. hmmm news post idea.
last edited on Jan. 17, 2014 2:02PM
Lonnehart at 5:22PM, Jan. 18, 2014
(online)
After watching the Out of my League movie a few times I'm left wondering…
So the guy's girlfriend dumped him and he keeps hoping they'll hook up again, and she doesn't want to. Now all of a sudden a woman more gorgeous than her show interest in her exboyfriend, and now all of a sudden she feels the need to take him back.

Is it because she suddenly cares for him, or is it a competition thing? And making him fly away from her rival is a bit extreme if that's how she's supposed to win.

I hope not all women react that way… Then again I'm not exactly a social butterfly so such things can be a mystery to me.

*sigh* Losing my father is a very scary prospect. He's supposedly got less than six months. And he's asking me to marry (I think he's joking as he's aware that I have no prospects). All I can do now is to help keep his spirits up and ensure he's comfortable. Cancer is a very nasty thing and I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone. :(
HippieVan at 5:49PM, Jan. 18, 2014
(online)
I'm really sorry about your dad, Lonne. I can't imagine how hard that must be. :(
Lonnehart at 7:31PM, Jan. 18, 2014
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
I'm really sorry about your dad, Lonne. I can't imagine how hard that must be. :(
It is. And it's depressing that there's nothing I can do about it. Well… except cherish and think back to all the memories I have of him. I tried to think that he had at least a decade left, and when I left him in California to return home he looked like he was recovering. Then I hear a week later that his health had taken a nosedive.

He's stable now, but is stuck in a nursing home. The siblings I have in the mainland US are visiting him regularly and hopefully they're following my advice on keeping him comfortable and keeping his spirits up.

If your parents are still around, spend as much time as you can with them. That time eventually runs out…
Ozoneocean at 5:13PM, Jan. 19, 2014
(online)
LOve the wallpaper pattersn Kawaii!

Lonne, that sux man! Cancer works like that. That's why people get those 5 weeks to live diagnoses… The damn thing is growing all the time in there and you can seem perfectly ok on the outside till it's too late :(

———-

It's so bloody HOT here at the moment, and today I'm going back to work. :(
i've been sleeping during the day and doing stuff at night so I avoided the heat nicely, but now I have to go to the office during the day like normal again and I haven't selpt since yesterday because my sleep cycle is screwed. So tired… T_T

On the good side I finished my hat reconstruction! I successfully transformed the broken down old Scott's piper feather bonnet into a hussar busby! A pretty bloody unique object because those are always made from fur, never feathers. But it look fricken cool! WAY more majestic and awesome than any fur busby or any feather bonnet! ^___^
HippieVan at 10:06PM, Jan. 22, 2014
(online)
I had a weird kind of revelation tonight. I stumbled across a sub reddit for children of narcissists and thought my dad might be interested because he's always suspected that his mom (my grandma) has narcissistic personality disorder. Started reading some of it and realized that a bunch of the stories rung true in relation to my own mom. More reading about traits of narcissists and god, it fits her exactly.

It's a strange feeling. I hate thinking about this stuff, especially because I've managed to keep our relationship decent now we're living far away from each other. On the other hand, I've always had such a hard time explaining exactly what it is about her that's so upsetting to me. So in that sense it's a bit of a relief to have a name for all the weird, subtle undermining she's always done while still being a fine parent to any outside observer.
Lonnehart at 4:33AM, Jan. 23, 2014
(online)
Well, had the bad teeth on my lower jaw pulled yesteraday and now I'm slowly going insane. Because right before that day my sister got me several boxes if those K-cup coffees from Starbucks. Now I have to wait before I can drink any thanks to the tooth extractions I got. Hopefully I will be able to partake in the stuff tomorrow… I can only hope… :(
Ozoneocean at 10:01AM, Jan. 23, 2014
(online)
You'll be too insane well before then Lonne :)
kawaiidaigakusei at 5:33PM, Jan. 23, 2014
(online)
@Lonne
Did the dentist give you high doses of nitrous oxide? That is what happened to me when I was getting my wisdom teeth extracted. I was left with a mind numbing headache during the withdrawal period and I could not chew solid foods for a week. Eating nothing but tapioca pudding and soft foods was so much fun.

Those Starbucks k-cups are delicious. As of last month, I finally have a Keurig brewer, so I get to enjoy hot, fresh coffee whenever I want at home. My favorite Starbucks variety is the “Verona Blend” it comes out perfectly every time.

-

Today I picked up a bottle of dead sea-salt “beach spray” infused with algae and sea kelp. It is supposed to give hair that “just left the beach style”. Normally, after a day at the beach, my hair has that naturally messy and wind-tossed look that seems very low maintenance. So now I get to enjoy that look every day for the rest of the winter. I just find it hilarious that I spent money to get a look that I otherwise would have had for free when I lived near the Pacific Ocean.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Jan. 23, 2014 5:35PM
HippieVan at 9:20PM, Jan. 23, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Those Starbucks k-cups are delicious. As of last month, I finally have a Keurig brewer, so I get to enjoy hot, fresh coffee whenever I want at home. My favorite Starbucks variety is the “Verona Blend” it comes out perfectly every time.
I too am in love with a new keurig! My older sister got my dad a keurig for Christmas, and for me a milk frother and some syrups. So I get to make myself lattes (kind of). :)
I haven't tried the Starbucks ones yet, because she got us a giant box of the Van Houtte ones to go with.
Ozoneocean at 9:35PM, Jan. 23, 2014
(online)
I went completely under for my wisdom teeth. Full anesthetic.
After it was over and I finally managed to sort of be able to walk a bit, they gave me two strong pain pills and a class of water… of course my tonge didn't work, I litterally almost choked, I coughed that stuff so far across the room that there was blood and water everywhere!
Then I got a nice little wheelchair ride all the way to my dad's car for the ride home…

My hair just after the beach is a dried out salty, sandy mess… I've had some of that beach spray but I don't trust it on my fine hair. Although maye it'll work better now my hair is shorter.
kawaiidaigakusei at 9:38PM, Jan. 23, 2014
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
I haven't tried the Starbucks ones yet, because she got us a giant box of the Van Houtte ones to go with.

I started with a Costco case of mixed Van Houtte and Timothy's, tried out an organic Ethiopian brand, and moved on to the Starbs variety. That machine has not helped my sleeping schedule because I am currently on a nocturnal sleep schedule. I just wish there was a Keurig bakery to go with it so I can have TimBits or BeaverTails to go with my coffee!!

ozoneocean wrote:
I went completely under for my wisdom teeth. Full anesthetic.
After it was over and I finally managed to sort of be able to walk a bit, they gave me two strong pain pills and a class of water… of course my tonge didn't work, I litterally almost choked, I coughed that stuff so far across the room that there was blood and water everywhere!

I was wide awake for the entire duration of the operation. The way I remembered it was like the Dentist scene in Little Shop of Horrors mixed with a first-person shooter game like DOOM. I was laughing the entire time because of my warped sense of humor found the situation funny, and the more I laughed, the more the dental assistant raised the percentage of the gas. Unfortunately, my sense of humor never recovered and I still laugh at the most inappropriate times.

Lol…As for the Beach Spray, what better way to tame unruly locks of hair than with salt, sand, seaweed and ocean water?! I have already been asked, “Is that a look people go for?”
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Jan. 23, 2014 9:54PM
Lonnehart at 11:50PM, Jan. 23, 2014
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

I too am in love with a new keurig! My older sister got my dad a keurig for Christmas, and for me a milk frother and some syrups. So I get to make myself lattes (kind of). :)
Heh… my sister got my my Keurig coffee maker last year for Christmas. It was on sale, and so was the coffee. Then the sale was over and I found out the coffee was nearly $20 a box!!! O_O

I enjoy my K-Cup coffee on occasion because it costs so much. Still, it's better than that paint thinner coffee from Folgers that I use with the regular brewer…

ugh… something hit my system drive pretty hard. Not only wouldn't it start, but all the data on it got corrupted. So now as I type this Windows Update is running and afterwards I have to reinstall everything again. -_-
Ozoneocean at 1:25AM, Jan. 24, 2014
(online)
Awake during the op? No effing way! Faaaarrrk! D:
Speaking of the beach, that's where I should be right now… But it's too hot to make the walk :(

I finished all the Sharpe series the other day, including that awful painful second last episode with Sharpe and his faithless wife… They shouldn't have done that to her character. Made her such an evil bitch.
Now I've started rewatching Farescape again. Such an awesome SciFi series!
kawaiidaigakusei at 2:51AM, Jan. 24, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Speaking of the beach, that's where I should be right now… But it's too hot to make the walk :(

#vortexproblems
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 7:53AM, Jan. 24, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
ncluding that awful painful second last episode with Sharpe and his faithless wife… They shouldn't have done that to her character. Made her such an evil bitch.
Well you could blame the fact that Sean Bean and the actress playing his wife were going through a divorce at the time so the writers decided to have a little fun with it… It is not based on any of the books but some of the characterizations were interesting. But a little too Sharpe strays into Dickens for me.

The character of the wife does go through the same changes in the books but much more slowly as she is grows apart from Sharpe. There was more to their prior relationship in the books as they had met before and Sharpe had grown to idealize her and the real person didn't match the image. Real sad stuff. Their romance in Sharpe's Regiment was a great satire on Jane Austen. Yeah, what if a hard bitten veteran like Sharpe strayed into a Jane Austen novel…

And the hussar with a leopard skin as a pelisse: Prussian Hussar regiment Von Zieten. I have this illustration as the instructions for a 75 mm metal figure. Love those yellow boots.
Ozoneocean at 8:14AM, Jan. 24, 2014
(online)
There are some weird and wonderful hussar variations, but THAT is the strangest!
Wow… o_O
Looks like he's draped himself in a horse blanket almost, the way it seems to have all those irregualar designs and stars on it?

And the strange hotpants look to his breaches… I noticed a few hussar uniforms from Germany in the 8th centry had that affectation… looks like a mixture of decoration and prottection, maybe that's where they put the leather to protect the breaches, but they must have realised how bad it looked?
18th C German hussars are truly the winners of the rainbow flag mardi grass parade.

French hussars seem to be generally the best looking ones I can find- it's a lot harder to find nationalities other than French British or German, you see some but those are generally allied to one of those three and in a variation of the allied country's uniform… Russia isn't bad… Poland is just doing their own special private thing…
Speaking of the French though, even their Hussard De la Mort are superior! Leopard skin around the shacko, prety cool, AND skull and cross bones on their sleaves.
bravo1102 at 10:07AM, Jan. 24, 2014
(offline)
Hussars started in the army of imperial Austria (later called Austria-Hungary) and the cosutme originated in Hungary. They were a type of irregular light cavalry. By the end of the War of the Austrian Succession all the armies of central Europe had adapted the uniform for regiments of light cavalry especially those armies who had to defend themselves against the original Austrian-Hungarian types. As can be seen the 1750 Prussian uniform from my prior post follows the original Hungarian uniform of the 1680's hussar. This is pretty much the original costume.

These guys are Austrian hussars from the mid 18th Century:

Everybody eventually had a hussar regiment including New York City. The First US Hussar regiment was the 3rd NJ volunter cavalry from the Civil War. The regiment added the braiding to the US cavalry jacket to get volunters by offering a cool uniform.

The Prussian Totenkopf hussars predated the French Revolutionary Death's Head cavalry by 50 years and wore a nearly identical uniform. The “Black Brunswickers” who fought under Wellington in the Pennisula and at Waterloo also had black clad hussars (with the splash of color with sky blue facings) wearing totenkopf insignia along with the rest of the corps.The whole death's head motif would last in the Prussian army until World War I with the Leib Hussar regiment. Here's a Prussian Princess wearing the uniform of her sponsored regiment:
Genejoke at 10:08AM, Jan. 24, 2014
(online)
Pub tonight, been moths since I've had a night out drinking with mates. Feels strange.
Ozoneocean at 11:14AM, Jan. 24, 2014
(online)
Good on you GG!

———

Bravo- yeah, I forgot to mention the colourful Austrians, for obvious reasons I often conflate them with Germany. I know most of that stuff of course, apart from that being an “original” uniform style, and the New York uniform specifically… I think there is a Boston unit that still has the uniform today (ceremonially), except that wear those ugly Tarleton helmets like the British used to.
The versions I've seen of the older Hungarian style still used an extra jacket though, not a fur cape…? I can see how it may have evolved from a cape, but the leopard thing seems a bit exotic for the early version of it. Maybe that was only for officers?

It's interesting seeing all the changes the uniform style went through in different countries, all playing on the same theme, but all influencing it with their own national styles, till the marvelous pelisse and dolman were discarded in favour of those plain Atila tunics like the princess wears with her low little pfelzmutze… The later barrel sash is just a belt with a sash facing stitched on for looks. The tight breaches turn into overalls, then trousers, then jodhpurs/whipcord breaches… Meanwhile the uniform had a huge influence on women's fashion with HIDEOUS women's pelisse dresses and coats…
Today the pelisse and dolman are retained as names in ladies fashion that have nothing to do with the original namesake garments. Actual hussar pelisses and dolmans continue to reoccur periodically in fashion and rock music costumes as well as cartoonishly debased versions on US highschool matching bands.
bravo1102 at 12:10PM, Jan. 24, 2014
(offline)
Having examined the early 18th century dolmans with their long skirts and relatively few frogged buttons they are more like the later 19th century hussar dress of tight trousers and frogged tunic than the ridiculously short and tight Napoleonic versions with rows upon rows of braid. It's almost like the style returned to its roots after a long joyride through Europe.

The frogged tunic is actually a Austro-German development (not Prussian though they adapted it for economy) of the original Hungarian hussar dress. Just look at that Black Brunswicker infantryman, frogged tunic in 1809 first supplied by Austria and then uniforms copied and manufactured in Britain.
HippieVan at 12:52PM, Jan. 24, 2014
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Here's a Prussian Princess wearing the uniform of her sponsored regiment:

SO PRETTY. I'm in love.
bravo1102 at 2:49PM, Jan. 24, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
And the strange hotpants look to his breaches… I noticed a few hussar uniforms from Germany in the 18th centry had that affectation… looks like a mixture of decoration and prottection,
They are actually an cloth leggings worn over the breeches. They were called Sharawaden, Charawaden or Schalavary. They were kind of like a pelise for the legs and usually worn with it in cold weather. They were part of hussar dress for most countries in the 18th Century but had been superceded by trousers and coveralls by the 1780s.

And did you know that hussars fought in the American Revolution and were at Yorktown?

Just imagine these guys riding along side George Washington. It happened. They were so famoud and did so well they were made a regular hussar regiment in the French Army after the AWI.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon