Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Lonnehart at 2:27AM, Dec. 28, 2013
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:
Being drunk is way better, that has the oposite effect on productivity: it narrows my focus so I can easily work on one single thing and really get into it. Coordination and judgment suffers, but it's a lot easier to slip past the usual brainblocks and get the work done.
So true. The papers I had written after drinking less than one ounce of wine came out more eloquent than after drinking highly caffeinated beverages. It has to do with bring less stressed and focusing on the ideas rather than the time crunch. I can be extremely productive when I have had a bit of alcohol, but if I have too much, I just fall asleep.
Interesting. Still won't partake in the stuff myself, though (brings back a bad memory just thinking about it). Funny thing is… long ago Caffeine did have an effect on me, but now I don't feel a thing. Even after drinking two cups of coffee I still fall asleep pretty fast… O_O

I wonder if some fathers really do tell their daughters this…. “No going out and NO BOYFRIENDS until you are MARRIED!!!”. Saw it on a meme site somewhere. I personally doubt this. Kinda defeats the purpose of passing on your genes to the next generation, especially if they are the only child…. O_O
last edited on Dec. 28, 2013 2:42AM
bravo1102 at 8:52AM, Dec. 28, 2013
(offline)
Being drunk is way better, that has the oposite effect on productivity: it narrows my focus so I can easily work on one single thing and really get into it. Coordination and judgment suffers, but it's a lot easier to slip past the usual brainblocks and get the work done.
So true. The papers I had written after drinking less than one ounce of wine came out more eloquent than after drinking highly caffeinated beverages. It has to do with bring less stressed and focusing on the ideas rather than the time crunch. I can be extremely productive when I have had a bit of alcohol, but if I have too much, I just fall asleep.

And that's why so many prolific writers are alcoholics. It's so much easier to write after a few drinks, oh heck all of life is so much easier after a few drinks… what am I doing laying in the gutter in my vomit several days later… without a page written.
One has to keep control of the drinking before it controls you.
I've seen too many drunks at the ends of their rope to be comfortable with imbibing. Besides with the meds I'm on NO ALCOHOl! Now how is Ativan/Lorazapam okay for getting rid of the anxiety but a beer isn't? Hey doc prescribe me a glass of wine after dinner and let's get rid of the anti-anxiety med okay?
Keep around a copy of The Lost Weekend with Ray Milland. It's about a writer struggling with his drinking. Not only a great performance but you'll finally understand that Loony Tunes gag with Ray Milland and the typewriters.

I wonder if some fathers really do tell their daughters this…. “No going out and NO BOYFRIENDS until you are MARRIED!!!”. Saw it on a meme site somewhere. I personally doubt this. Kinda defeats the purpose of passing on your genes to the next generation, especially if they are the only child…. O_O
Um if there's no boyfriends until after marriage how she goon find the guy to marry without dating? And boyfriends after marriage? Isn't that adultery?
last edited on Dec. 28, 2013 9:01AM
kawaiidaigakusei at 9:37AM, Dec. 28, 2013
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
boyfriends after marriage
Good one, bravo.

I, for one, can not wait to get married so I can have a boyfriend.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Ozoneocean at 10:08AM, Dec. 28, 2013
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
I've seen too many drunks at the ends of their rope to be comfortable with imbibing. Besides with the meds I'm on NO ALCOHOl! Now how is Ativan/Lorazapam okay for getting rid of the anxiety but a beer isn't? Hey doc prescribe me a glass of wine after dinner and let's get rid of the anti-anxiety med okay?
Unfortunately, due to the severe migraines I suffer I rarely ever touch alcahol these days. :(
It's just one of the many, many possible triggers - the headaches are so bad I have a Pavlov's Dog reaction to anything that has a relationship to them.

If I didn't get them though I likley still wouldn't be an adict. I don't have that sort of a personality. I will get “obsessed”, by things like my hussar stuff, collecting all the right gear for propper traditional white tie evening wear, amassing referance books on the 1920s' and art deco etc, but I don't get “addicted”… which is more of a physiological AND psychological thing I think?

There's been some interesting reasearch into the feild of adiction. Comon wisdom has always been that anyone can be an adict, the substances are just out there waiting to snare you. But more recent reaserch sugests that there's a genetic componant and it's actually a minority of people who ever become adicted to adictive substances. This includes things like opiates.
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:36AM, Dec. 28, 2013
(online)
Drinking to forget is the worst. Everything just comes back to the surface accompanied with dehydration the next day. That is the reason I spend the whole night drinking still water or soda water when I go bar hopping. I get fully hydrated and remember every detail from random conversations, not to mention, I save a ton of money.

I avoid things that may be addicting (just in case). That is the reason I do not gamble and have never smoked a cigarette.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
HippieVan at 10:36AM, Dec. 28, 2013
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Ugh, alcohol does NOT help my anxiety. I've had so many relatives who dealt with anxiety through alcohol that I now have an anxiety response TO the stuff. On the plus side it's unlikely that I'll follow in their same path.
I don't much care for anxiety meds either, though. I have the same reaction as Oz does to his migraine stuff…sure, the original problem is better but I get really frustrated when I feel like my mind isn't all there.

Lonnehart wrote:
fathers and boyfriends

That seems to be a popular joke on the internet right now. I have no idea if that's a real thing, but coming from a family with three girls it hasn't been my experience. My dad is definitely more concerned about who we date than my mom, but he's always been the more involved parent in general.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:26AM, Dec. 28, 2013
(online)
I wonder how much anxiety is caused by external factors compared to internal factors. I use public transportation a lot in large cities, so I have figured out my own way to deal with the smells, the noise, and my own piece of mind. Thankfully, it is nothing large headphones or earplugs, large goggle glasses or an eyemask, and three surgical masks can not fix.

bravo1102 wrote:
Keep around a copy of The Lost Weekend with Ray Milland. It's about a writer struggling with his drinking.
Hilarious! I watched the original preview from 1945. It looks like a real good movie with a romance story intertwined while he's trying to stay on the wagon. It just amazes me that it was filmed the same year WWII ended.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Dec. 28, 2013 11:45AM
Lonnehart at 12:52PM, Dec. 28, 2013
(online)
When I'm feeling depressed (like right now as my father doesn't have much time left and I feel helpless to do anything) I drink a lot of coffee. It's the taste I think… it's a nice bitter drink that you have to sip slowly when you take it black…

As for the “No going out and NO BOYFRIENDS” thing, I guess that's why I'm hearing it a lot. Suffered something like this in high school though. My mother would tell me to find a girlffriend, but any girl who approached me was scared off by her. I hope if I ever become a parent that I don't end confusing my kids like that.

And not having a relationship is probably the point of a father telling his daughter not meeting any boys until she's married. Kinda like locking her inside his house and throwing away the key to “protect” her from the evil lustful men outside. Come to think of it… it's like a mother who wraps her son in many layers of padding and bubble wrap to protect him from all harm…
last edited on Dec. 28, 2013 12:55PM
kawaiidaigakusei at 1:32PM, Dec. 28, 2013
(online)
When I have a lot on my mind, I watch Sylvain Chomet's illustrated masterpiece “The Illusionist”. There is nothing like a film with limited dialogue and gorgeous watercolored landscapes that takes my mind off negative thoughts. It is a somber film that was made for an older audience.

Coffee makes me wired, I am limiting my intake because I enjoy my sleep and prefer not having an insomniac's sleep schedule. I do like coffee, though.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
HippieVan at 1:35PM, Dec. 28, 2013
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
When I have a lot on my mind, I watch Sylvain Chomet's illustrated masterpiece “The Illusionist”. There is nothing like a film with limited dialogue and gorgeous watercolored landscapes that takes my mind off negative thoughts. It is a somber film that was made for an older audience.
I also love that film! So lovely and sad(and happy).
Lonnehart at 2:28AM, Dec. 29, 2013
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Coffee makes me wired, I am limiting my intake because I enjoy my sleep and prefer not having an insomniac's sleep schedule. I do like coffee, though.
Used to wire me up too, but now it doesn't seem to affect me at all. I could take up drinking alcohol, but memories of one of my uncles drinking himself to death show up if I so much as think about it….
bravo1102 at 9:36AM, Dec. 29, 2013
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
There's been some interesting reasearch into the feild of adiction. Comon wisdom has always been that anyone can be an adict, the substances are just out there waiting to snare you. But more recent reaserch sugests that there's a genetic componant and it's actually a minority of people who ever become adicted to adictive substances. This includes things like opiates.

Thre's the genetic studies then there's the psychological, meurological and physiological studies which inidcate that the mind can get the body to do all kinds of addictive things without any genetic markers. Those endorphins and receptors for addictive substances don't just exist in certain people, but everyone. It's just that some people can walk away… eventually. And others can't ever get free of the monkey on their back. But getting there is a long hard fight for anyone genetic markers or no.

Besides you have to read the research and not the press hype. Every genetic marker is a predispostion towards not a gurantee of or protection from a certain behavior or illness. A mental health professional will tell you that any obsession can turn into a compulsion and become like an addiction. Getting obsessed and not stopping can be just as bad as a true addiction. Just because you can walk away at any time doesn't mean you will.
HippieVan at 11:17AM, Dec. 29, 2013
(online)
I'm making my little sister a Vince Noir doll for her birthday because I'm pretty much the best sister ever. :D

Ozoneocean at 11:33AM, Dec. 29, 2013
(online)
Bravo, this wasn't just headlines and genetic markers, there were interviews with health proffesionals with 20 years + expereince in the field. The jist of it was that the adiction fear WAS the hype and the headlines, that the individuals with that sort of problem were a minority with distinct personality traits. And that has been bourne out again and again over recent years.

Some of the terrible side effects from the old misunderstanding about adiction are the severe restrictions on opiate painkilling drugs in many countries because of traditional, overblown fears of adiction. In India for example people with terminal cancers still often can't get access to sufficient pain relief. And it's a story repeated around the world.

It's facenating to view it from the other angle for once and to realise that yet again that policy is still guided by minority needs to the detriment of society.
Lonnehart at 2:25AM, Dec. 30, 2013
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
I'm making my little sister a Vince Noir doll for her birthday because I'm pretty much the best sister ever. :D

I don't know who Vince Noir is, but being an awesome sister is just awesome (good work with the sewing). :)
Ozoneocean at 12:27AM, Dec. 31, 2013
(online)
I didn't see that the last post I did!
Vince Nior, Rock'n Roll star!
That's Vince from the first series of The Mighty Boosh TV series. You should watch it Lonne, it's great. Sureal comedy.
Lately I've been listeing to the radio series version again. I recorded it from BBC7 (when that was still around), on my comp… I was SO excited when I learned they'd done a TV series! The radio version i still a little better in some ways, because it's tighter and less silly (no “moon” no guy with a door in his head etc), and obviously they could do more amazing stuff because you can suggest anything with a brief setup and some sound effects, but the TV series has some extra godness and nothing beats seeing them for real.
Too bad thet couldn't adapt the full version of The Mutants though, that was a soopa doopa classic! Oh, and the song from the “Tommy” episode, “Are we to be married on the morrow”. That was awesome!
bravo1102 at 8:33AM, Dec. 31, 2013
(offline)
HippieVan wrote:

>image<
You are. That is just all kinds of wonderful. The world can't have enough “best sister's ever”

Finished watching the HBO miniseries Rome which was great. Nice detailed sets, finally accurate legionnarie armor and great characterizations. Nice to see two war verteran buddies just stomp all over Rome as opposed to all those gladiators and politicos. Titus Pullo forever! Yeah, he'd stomp Spartacus into the ground.

Almost finished watching I Claudius for the upteenth time. I had forgotten John Rhys-Davies was in it and that John Hurt was so damn good. John Hurt had earlier done a Hammer horror film that went from bad to excellent because of his portrayal of a shell-shocked veteran. But I Claudius was the real beginning of his career and his portrayal of Caligula is superb,

Then there'sSpartacus: Blood and Sand for the first time. Spartacus is all blood and sex but there's some decent writing and acting hidden in there too. Now why can't all shows be like that? But damn it the Roman armor is completely wrong… it's 2nd Century AD heavy infantry not Republican Rome 1st Century BC. Oh who cares it's so much fun.
HippieVan at 2:47PM, Dec. 31, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
I didn't see that the last post I did!
Vince Nior, Rock'n Roll star!
That's Vince from the first series of The Mighty Boosh TV series. You should watch it Lonne, it's great. Sureal comedy.
Lately I've been listeing to the radio series version again. I recorded it from BBC7 (when that was still around), on my comp… I was SO excited when I learned they'd done a TV series! The radio version i still a little better in some ways, because it's tighter and less silly (no “moon” no guy with a door in his head etc), and obviously they could do more amazing stuff because you can suggest anything with a brief setup and some sound effects, but the TV series has some extra godness and nothing beats seeing them for real.
Too bad thet couldn't adapt the full version of The Mutants though, that was a soopa doopa classic! Oh, and the song from the “Tommy” episode, “Are we to be married on the morrow”. That was awesome!

That that song and the Alabaster Moon song from the same episode didn't make it to the TV version is a true tragedy.

Did you know there's a book, too? It's pretty great - lots of Noel Fielding artwork, old jokes from the tv and radio series and new jokes too. It's a great big hardcover, full-colour thing and I bought it for like a dollar on abebooks. I almost felt guilty about that.

Btw, Oz, what kind of tablet do you have again? I've been impressed with the quality of drawing you've done on it.
last edited on Dec. 31, 2013 2:49PM
Ozoneocean at 7:35AM, Jan. 1, 2014
(online)
Are, I remember that song! So much better than the actual moon character it probably inspired! Another thing I notice was that Vince's rockstar persona in the radio series is based on a ‘70s glam star, but on the show he morphs into the electro new-romatic revival scene that was popular at the time. Not quite as fun I thought.
I’m envious of your book!

The tablet I use is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, the 2012 version. The app I use is Sketchbook pro by Autodesk. It's a good setup, you get a preasure sensive wacom pen, works just like a portable cintiq. :)
I got an aftermarket pen for it which also has a preasure senitive eraser on the back.
I've had great resuts with it!

I've heard very good things about the Windows Surface Pro tablets- you have a preasure sensitive pen and can use full windows programs likep hotoshop etc so you have a LOT more options and abilities with it, but it's very expensive compared to a Note tablet.
Good stuff about the newer ipads too using various tyes of stylus… but I have nothing to gauge that with personally.
Genejoke at 12:53PM, Jan. 2, 2014
(online)
I'm back, I mean it.
Y'know dating in your thirties is so much harder than when younger, meeting people isn't so hard. meeting people wh aren't broken in someway is.
bravo1102 at 4:09PM, Jan. 2, 2014
(offline)
The Drunk Duck Awards presentations for 2013 started. Guess we're trying to keep it quiet that Niccea started posting the presentation pages back on January 1.

Don't tell anybody. Shhhhh! Quiet. Enjoy your new year and wonder who'll win the Golden Globes this year….
HippieVan at 5:19PM, Jan. 2, 2014
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
The Drunk Duck Awards presentations for 2013 started. Guess we're trying to keep it quiet that Niccea started posting the presentation pages back on January 1.

Don't tell anybody. Shhhhh! Quiet. Enjoy your new year and wonder who'll win the Golden Globes this year….
I shall do a newspost about it for tomorrow!
kawaiidaigakusei at 5:05AM, Jan. 3, 2014
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Almost finished watching I Claudius for the upteenth time. I had forgotten John Rhys-Davies was in it and that John Hurt was so damn good. John Hurt had earlier done a Hammer horror film that went from bad to excellent because of his portrayal of a shell-shocked veteran. But I Claudius was the real beginning of his career and his portrayal of Caligula is superb.
John Hurt has the talent to make any movie he appears in damn good. He voiced Aragorn from Lord of the Rings, Hazel from Watership Down, Ollivander in Harry Potter, The ELEPHANT MAN in the Elephant Man, and my all time favorite character, Winston Smith in 1984.

Genejoke wrote:
Y'know dating in your thirties is so much harder than when younger.
I imagine it would be easier for a man in his late thirties to meet a younger woman than a woman in her late thirties to meet a younger man. The idea stems around purely biological reasons if the expectation to have children is involved. Whereas a man could still potentially date someone much younger, a woman in the same age range might end up dating a much older person. In my own experience, I have seen gradual shifts of acceptable dating age range preferences between the early twenties and the late twenties.

Last night, I visited the National Art Gallery to unwind. I am the type of person that recharges alone better than in social settings, so staring at paintings suits me. I really liked the layout of the place–large symmetrical rooms with simple designs appeal to my inner minimalist. There was a new contemporary exhibition filled with bright, colorful hues that popped right off the canvas. Normally, I am very sensitive to intense colors, but staring at high doses of them feels good and leaves me feeling energized.
I always end my tour with a visit to Marcel Duchamp's ready-made collection. I am such a fan of his early paintings and his contributions to the Dada Movement that I get filled with emotion by just standing in that room.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Jan. 3, 2014 5:06AM
Genejoke at 10:46AM, Jan. 3, 2014
(online)
I imagine it would be easier for a man in his late thirties to meet a younger woman than a woman in her late thirties to meet a younger man. The idea stems around purely biological reasons if the expectation to have children is involved. Whereas a man could still potentially date someone much younger, a woman in the same age range might end up dating a much older person. In my own experience, I have seen gradual shifts of acceptable dating age range preferences between the early twenties and the late twenties.
I've not really been going younger, late twenties onwards really. and a little older than myself too. perhaps I should try younger, worked for my brother.
bravo1102 at 4:05PM, Jan. 3, 2014
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
meeting people aren't broken in someway is.

Common problem. Many are looking for someone to fix them and that's not what you want when dating. Older folks have baggage from things that happened in the past and they insist on bringing it with them on a date. Just have fun and the first date just being the first date and not “OH-MY-GOD-I-HAVE-TO-START-ANOTHER-RELATIONSHIP”

And don't spend all your time comparing the first date to the ex. Oh yeah the girl looks at you and you're staring off into space thinking about nothing but the ex. When on the date the ex never existed.
last edited on Jan. 3, 2014 4:08PM
kawaiidaigakusei at 5:18PM, Jan. 3, 2014
(online)
Exactly. I went on a dinner date once where the guy did nothing but talk about his ex-girlfriend the whole time. It was somewhat off-putting and I could not get out of the restaurant fast enough. A few nights later, he wrote an entire blog post about his experience and it turns out I ordered the exact same thing that his ex-girlfriend always ordered. Talk about a deal breaker!

I notice a lot of teenagers these days are looking for someone to fix them. Have you heard any of the mainstream songs made for preteens? You will find broken people in every age group, but you will find completely put together individuals, too. I find that people in their thirties and forties are more focused and know what they want because they have had an extra decade or two to figure things out.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Genejoke at 1:05AM, Jan. 5, 2014
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Genejoke wrote:
meeting people aren't broken in someway is.

Common problem. Many are looking for someone to fix them and that's not what you want when dating. Older folks have baggage from things that happened in the past and they insist on bringing it with them on a date. Just have fun and the first date just being the first date and not “OH-MY-GOD-I-HAVE-TO-START-ANOTHER-RELATIONSHIP”

And don't spend all your time comparing the first date to the ex. Oh yeah the girl looks at you and you're staring off into space thinking about nothing but the ex. When on the date the ex never existed.
I've had dates like that, but isn't really the issue. I was recently invoved with someone and things seemed great for the most part, but she wasn't really ready for anything serious. She latched on too quickly then panicked as things progressed. Shame as she's a lovely person but we're not right for each other at present and hurt each other in the process. It does seem that others either want to jump into a relationship at first opportunity or are too scared to let things take develop naturally.
HippieVan at 8:03PM, Jan. 5, 2014
(online)
Speaking of dating, I am so terrible at knowing whether or not someone is trying to flirt with me on facebook…and how to response to it.

Like, what does it mean when a guy “pokes” me on fb out of the blue? How do I respond to that?

Then there's a guy who I went to school with and who I see every so often at the gym who's been messaging me every couple of days like “Hey, what's up.” But if I engage him in conversation he never has anything to say.

And most recently, a guy who I only met once (but quite liked) messaged me with a Christmas greeting, and then the other day with a link to a youtube video. Which seems really sporatic and random.

I'm bad enough with in-person interactions. Facebook flirting is just way beyond my level of social skill, I think. XD
irrevenant at 10:28PM, Jan. 5, 2014
(online)
Poke them back?
HippieVan wrote:

Like, what does it mean when a guy “pokes” me on fb out of the blue? How do I respond to that?
Genejoke at 12:13AM, Jan. 6, 2014
(online)
The random messages on Facebook are akin to a guy trying to start conversation but struggling to find the right thing to say, probably hoping something will spark an interesting conversation. As for guy who chats but has nothing to say… Similar thing maybe? Do you give him anything to work with? Do you want to?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon