Golly
Golly Gee
Golly Gee Willakers

?

Or something truly nebulous: Quack That
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Ozoneocean at 8:01PM, May 3, 2016
(online)
Bravo was in the army so I think he means “Golll-leeee”!

“Quack that” sounds like something young male ducks on the street would say about a young lady duck with particularly fulsome tail plumage…
-Or the other way around given how male birds are the pretty ones.
last edited on May 3, 2016 8:02PM
bravo1102 at 11:37PM, May 3, 2016
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Bravo was in the army so I think he means “Golll-leeee”!

That is from Gomer Pyle USMC. United States Marine Corps. The Marines. We don't say goll-eee in the Army. We say “golly”
Lonnehart at 1:08AM, May 4, 2016
(online)
Oh, my goodness… so that's where the “Gomer Pyle” thing came from…
bravo1102 at 1:33AM, May 4, 2016
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
Oh, my goodness… so that's where the “Gomer Pyle” thing came from…

Jim Nabors played Gomer Pyle as a gas station guy on the Andy Griffith show. He was so good they decided to spin him off into his own show. Service comedies were big like The Phil Silvers Show (Sgt Bilko) as well as the idea of the hick rube showing up smart aleeky city types.

So Golll-leeee became a hit.
last edited on May 4, 2016 1:34AM
Ozoneocean at 1:42AM, May 4, 2016
(online)
Sgt Bilko became Top Cat, one of the greatest cartoon characters ever!
There was also Mikail's navy. Good old Earnest Borgnine. :D
Gunwallace at 2:58AM, May 4, 2016
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Sgt Bilko became Top Cat, one of the greatest cartoon characters ever!
There was also Mikail's navy. Good old Earnest Borgnine. :D

I think that was McHale's Navy. Mikal's Navy was the lesser Soviet version set off the coast of Siberia. “Knock it off, you snowballs.”
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
last edited on May 4, 2016 3:24AM
Lonnehart at 8:06PM, May 4, 2016
(online)
Just an “official” video game I miss playing. It can only run in Windows XP (which I still have but I don't like dual booting my system). I'm sure I can download the video game digitally, but still…

Anyways… to me it's just a very epic vid made by the guy who composed the song for the game, Baba Yetu. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A

Aaand I find out the song is religious in nature… sort of… It's the Lord's Prayer translated into Swahili.
last edited on May 4, 2016 10:11PM
Ozoneocean at 6:49AM, May 5, 2016
(online)
@Guntervallace- I am terrible with names und nationalities!

@Lonne- Civilisation right?
I loved those RTS games: the first Age of Empires, StarCraft, Warcraft 3 etc. That was the golden age.

—–

Why did you guys choose your avatars?
There are two reasons for mine:
1. The reason I have it now is so that I can be recognised everywhere easily, all over the web. It's a logo I made for Pinky back in 1998.
2. The reason I started using it as an avatar was emo- it was only a few years ago, I got sick of people treating me as if I was some mechanical representative of the site that they could abuse with impunity, not thinking of me as a person. So I decided to embrace that and depersonalised my avatar and my bio page etc, not using photos on anything or having personal and info or links.
Genejoke at 9:50AM, May 5, 2016
(online)
I didn't choose mine, I didn't realise you could. I thought they made a Navi avatar based on your DNA to ensure a stable link.

or maybe I chose it because it's me.
Lonnehart at 2:21PM, May 5, 2016
(online)
@Lonne- Civilisation right?
I loved those RTS games: the first Age of Empires, StarCraft, Warcraft 3 etc. That was the golden age.

It's from Civilization IV (a 4X strategy game), which I found that I can play again. However, the only way to be able to play it is to use a CD crack, then set the Windows Compatibility mode for the game to the latest version of Windows. Better than to buy it off again from Steam…

As for the song, it's been covered by quite a few people. The U.S. Navy, a few people in South Africa and it was even done at the United Nations… Not bad for a song composed for a video game. :)

Oh… and here's the game intro. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRUnoGmwNCA

And according to the comments, the intro depicts a historical battle (The Battle of Actium?) and someone being crowned Emperor of Rome (the comments mention Octavian but also mention that he didn't have a beard)…
last edited on May 5, 2016 2:33PM
bravo1102 at 4:57PM, May 5, 2016
(offline)
I still love Civilization I and at times really miss it. Played that for hours but never beyond the easy mode. Too addicting so I unloaded the game time and again trying to kick the habit.

I was relieved to find that it wouldn't load after updating my operating system. That year the number of models I finished skyrocketed.
last edited on May 5, 2016 4:59PM
Ozoneocean at 9:44PM, May 5, 2016
(online)
Civilisation is great! Far better than barbarism.
bravo1102 at 12:32AM, May 6, 2016
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:

It was great playing a game where your purpose is building stuff up, not tearing it down.
last edited on May 6, 2016 12:33AM
Genejoke at 1:24AM, May 6, 2016
(online)
I have more steam hours on civ 5 that anything else.
HippieVan at 1:18PM, May 6, 2016
(online)
Gave my first ever conference presentation today! It couldn't have gone better and I'm on a real high of success and self-confidence right now. People even laughed at the funny bit I threw in at the beginning! :D

ozoneocean
Why did you guys choose your avatars?
There are two reasons for mine:
1. The reason I have it now is so that I can be recognised everywhere easily, all over the web. It's a logo I made for Pinky back in 1998.
2. The reason I started using it as an avatar was emo- it was only a few years ago, I got sick of people treating me as if I was some mechanical representative of the site that they could abuse with impunity, not thinking of me as a person. So I decided to embrace that and depersonalised my avatar and my bio page etc, not using photos on anything or having personal and info or links.

Mine is pretty self-explanatory. It's a hippie van. I made it years ago when I first got Flash and was playing around with it, learning how to use it. I still kinda like it and I don't have time to make a better one, so it's stuck around. I also feel like since I'm a mod/admin now it's a good idea to stick with the same avatar. I know that for myself I tend to identify people on the forums and whatnot at a glance by their avatar, not by username, and sometimes get briefly confused when people change their avatar.

bravo1102 wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:

It was great playing a game where your purpose is building stuff up, not tearing it down.

I love civilization, but I almost never play it…it takes SO long. And also I'm terrible at it.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
kyupol at 3:53PM, May 6, 2016
(online)
back again. Hello y'all!!!
ayesinback at 5:41PM, May 6, 2016
(online)
Hey! Kyupol!

And congrats, Hippie! I dread speaking in front of groups and have had mixed results (now & again I've had extreme cases of dry mouth: the worst). Very glad you had a good experience.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Lonnehart at 2:25AM, May 7, 2016
(online)
HippieVan wrote:

I love civilization, but I almost never play it…it takes SO long. And also I'm terrible at it.

I'm not so great at it myself. Maybe I should stop wanting the heads of everyone I meet in the game on a pole…
Ozoneocean at 8:29PM, May 8, 2016
(online)
I had a dream last night that I was in America somewhere- in some tropical area. I was part of some secret group… I don't really remember all the reasons and story set-up, but for SOME reason I shot a guy to death with a very large pair of silver semi automatic handguns, and then had to hide his body in an abandoned building that was under construction (I think he was a bad-guy flunky).
I hid all my blood stained cloths and the weapons and took his smaller silver 22 pistol for self defence because I could hide it easier…

But as I was getting into a more populated area I started to think how dangerous it was to have a concealed gun. It was empty of bullets but I tried to set it to safe anyway, but it had about 6 settings and I didn't know what was what… Then I realised I didn't have a license for it, and couldn't get one anyway because I was an Aussie citizen in the US.
Then I realised that I don't agree that people should be able to carry firearms in public ANYWAY, concealed or otherwise…
So what was I doing???

And on that contradiction I woke up.
kawaiidaigakusei at 9:33PM, May 8, 2016
(online)
So in short, last night Oz had a dream that he was a 'Murican.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Lonnehart at 10:21PM, May 8, 2016
(online)
He's probably describing Hawaii… yeah… that's it… hmm…
Gunwallace at 1:24AM, May 9, 2016
(offline)
My dreams are always so boring. The other night I dreamt the steps I had designed to go in our vege garden between the potato bed and the carrots didn't actually fit together properly. Dream me was completely embarrassed his trigonometry had failed him. He called himself an idiot. “How could you make such an obvious mistake?” So I got up the next morning and built the damn steps. They fit perfectly. That dream me is an arse.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
bravo1102 at 8:53AM, May 9, 2016
(offline)
Florida, a land of lax gun laws and tropical delights. This is where lucid dreaming could have come in handy.
It's my dream of course I have all the proper credentials.
In fact though an Aussie I'm part of Super Secret Aussie Spy Force (SSASF) and can carry an arsenal in my hip pocket if I want to.
You can always compromise personal beliefs in a dream.
But I'm curious to know after safe and fire, what did the other four settings do on the pistol?
Ozoneocean at 9:13AM, May 9, 2016
(online)
Yep, felt like Florida. There were swampy areas and Cubans and Haitians…
The other settings on the safety switch were things to change the trigger pull- making it stiffer, super light etc. Strange that I would remember that detail in a dream but that was it. The settings even had stupid names like “the rambler”, and “easy lounger” and such like. I regretted taking it from the guy T_T
last edited on May 9, 2016 9:59AM
Lonnehart at 2:40PM, May 9, 2016
(online)
I'd still like to know where my one recurring dream comes from. Where I'm “awake”, do something, then find myself falling down a cliff. Soon as I hit the rocks below I “wake up”. Then I do something (like get out of bed) only to find myself falling down that same cliff… rinse and repeat ‘til I finally, truly wake up… only to stay in bed for a few hours because I’m afraid that I'm still dreaming…
last edited on May 10, 2016 6:36PM
bravo1102 at 4:52PM, May 10, 2016
(offline)
One possible explanation could be anxiety about failure. The falling is a metaphor for falling to pieces or your mood dropping and the waking up on landing finding yourself back where you started and having to do it all over again. Hence anxiety over actually getting out of bed to face the real world.

Lately I have been lucky in dreams, that whenever I am falling, I always remember that I can fly or I land squarely on my feet.

Since this is a recurring dream before going to bed repeat to yourself, “I have a parachute, I have a parachute ” or the you can fly.

If you have the dream, upon awaking imagine a positive outcome to resolve it firmly. One like landing on your feet and walking away because the rocks are Styrofoam and there to break your fall. Or bouncing before landing safely. Resolving the problem in the dream consciously after waking works. It can end a cycle of repeating dreams.
last edited on May 10, 2016 4:54PM
HippieVan at 10:26PM, May 10, 2016
(online)
My very old dog is going in for surgery tomorrow morning. I can't sleep. :(
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Call Me Tom at 10:29PM, May 10, 2016
(offline)
Well I still have no internet at home and it turns out that I can't upload pages using my phone.
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
Ozoneocean at 12:33AM, May 11, 2016
(online)
You SHOULD be able to upload pages from your phone. On Android I have no issues with the Chrome browser.
I'm not sure about iOS though.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon