Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2016 Rant/Share/General Discussion Thread
Lonnehart at 1:32AM, May 11, 2016
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
My very old dog is going in for surgery tomorrow morning. I can't sleep. :(

That's gotta be tough. If it's for a very serious reason, then I hope he pulls through. :(
bravo1102 at 5:14PM, May 11, 2016
(offline)
My sister's ex-husband passed away. She and he had remained great friends though. He really had been suffering the last few years. He had finally been diagnosed with terminal cancer and decided to not get treatment.

My sister and a few of his friends are getting a boat to spread his ashes in the Pacific, drink wine and reminisce. Then some more friends will join them for a meal.
Nothing fancy, just to remember what he meant to them.
last edited on May 11, 2016 5:15PM
Ozoneocean at 7:44PM, May 11, 2016
(online)
That sounds like a good way to do it Bravo.

@Hippie- I really hope your dog pulls through! :(
Lonnehart at 1:06AM, May 12, 2016
(online)
Um… XD

Skallagrim and his pommel jokes…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8q6s_24eOg

Aaand Civilization 6 has been announced apparently. I hope that when I play it I don't get nuked by Ghandi again…
last edited on May 12, 2016 1:42PM
bravo1102 at 4:21PM, May 12, 2016
(offline)
I was hating the hustle and bustle if working the day shift, so I went back to overnights. However, we're still short staffed so it's seven days a week. So will I ever get to do another comic or should I just liquidate my collection ? Maybe if I went 3D I could still do stuff at work or got a tablet to draw digitally.

As it is I haven't done any narrative comics in over six months. Longest hiatus ever and no hope of starting producion any time soon.
Lonnehart at 11:20PM, May 12, 2016
(online)
Wow… One of my favorite Youtubers to watch is a canadian named Matthew Santoro. Normally I saw him as this really goofy and fun guy who makes fun videos about facts he's gotten on the internet. And his smile is creepy… yet adorable. However, just today I ran into a video of him on Youtube that was from last January and now I know why he's been smile a lot more…

Turns out he was recently in an abusive relationship with an unnamed romantic partner. And it look like it hurt him a LOT. While he never names her, a friend of his claimed this partner was another famous Youtuber. Well… now I'm beginning to wonder how many Youtuber celebrities are hiding a ton of pain behind their smiles…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ27W2K12fk
HippieVan at 8:20AM, May 13, 2016
(online)
Thanks, guys! My dog is okay, thank goodness. He's a bit dejected about the cone but otherwise he's more or less his usual self. He had a tumour on his spleen so they took the spleen right out, and apparently it didn't look like it had spread to his liver so he should be alright. *fingers crossed*

Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
HippieVan at 8:21AM, May 13, 2016
(online)
Sorry about your brother in law, bravo. Sounds like you guys are giving him a good send-off.
Lonnehart at 5:40PM, May 13, 2016
(online)
My condolences on your brother in law, Bravo. His ashes will probably find their way here to Guam. :)

wow… I bought a used laptop from a coworker. It's in working order… except for the vents which were full of lint. It wasn't too badly clogged but I opened up the thing anyway and cleaned it out.

While doing so I checked the heat sink and found that the heat transfer material between the chips and the sink was a rubber pad thing… SO I did what I do when I see things like this… I took the thing apart, cleaned off the rubber stuff from the chips and heat sink, then put a small amount of Arctic Silver on all of the chips the heat sink had contact with.

The laptop works. It does what I want it to do. However, one small difference… The air being blasted out the vent was quite hot… hotter than before I replaced the rubber with Arctic Silver. And the laptop chips are running cooler as well. Now let's hope I don't end up burnt by the hot air the laptop expels when I'm using it…
last edited on May 13, 2016 5:41PM
Ozoneocean at 7:45PM, May 16, 2016
(online)
Don't leave it on your lap Lonne or you'll cook your eggs ;)

HippieVan at 8:35PM, May 16, 2016
(online)
Ugh, one of my marking jobs this summer kind of fell through so that's super shitty. We had to wait and see how many hours were allotted for the course, and I guess there wasn't much left in the budget. I'm only getting about 10 hours of work at $11.35/hr so yikes. My other marking job is with another department so I'm hoping they managed to set aside more for spring courses over the course of the year. Otherwise I'll be SOL I guess.

The markers'/TA's/RA's union has been fighting really hard this year trying to lobby the university - which is very big on presenting itself as a socially conscious, progressive institution - to pay us a more reasonable rate, but apparently in the most recent round of bargaining the university was like “LOL nope.”
Lonnehart at 2:10PM, May 17, 2016
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:

Actually, because of where that hot air jet is going I'm worried I'll end up boiling SOMEONE ELSE'S eggs…. O_O
bravo1102 at 1:36AM, May 18, 2016
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:

Actually, because of where that hot air jet is going I'm worried I'll end up boiling SOMEONE ELSE'S eggs…. O_O

Channel the vented air and use it to cook breakfast. Or as a hair dryer.
Ozoneocean at 3:01AM, May 18, 2016
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Lonnehart wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:

Depends on how bushy his nest is :3

Speaking of hair- This is the FIRST time in my history of long haired life that I can leave my hair two days without washing it and STILL have it worn out- it's soft, curly, clean, not clumpy, and is presentable enough that I feel good about going to work with it like that.
Which is amazing!

This means I can go longer without washing it, which is all better for my hair.
bravo1102 at 7:12PM, May 18, 2016
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
Lonnehart wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:

Depends on how bushy his nest is :3

Actually I was thinking of using it as an excuse to have a girl put her head in my lap.
Lonnehart at 7:36PM, May 18, 2016
(online)
And now I'm starting to wonder if anyone else owns a laptop that shoots out hot air when it is doing something CPU intensive… like playing a few minutes of Minecraft…

Anyways, how do you deal with long hair? I find that when I try to grow out my hair, my scalp becomes itchy. REALLY itchy. Like there's something crawling in it and sucking blood out of it… and at other times it feels like the hair wants to uproot itself and walk away… So I keep it short and get a crew cut every few months…
last edited on May 18, 2016 7:37PM
Ozoneocean at 7:54PM, May 18, 2016
(online)
Ha! Good thinking Brvo! ;)

@Lonne- all laptops do that, if they have active cooling.
Long hair doesn't feel itchy like that, any more than short hair. I think the problem you face is living in a hot, humid climate. Everything feel itchy and uncomfortable in that weather XD
KimLuster at 7:47AM, May 19, 2016
(online)
My VERY old laptop would get so hot I don't know how it kept working. It killed a cooling tray I got for it!! Finally ditched it for a tablet with attachable mini-keyboard!!
Lonnehart at 3:35AM, May 21, 2016
(online)
KimLuster wrote:
My VERY old laptop would get so hot I don't know how it kept working. It killed a cooling tray I got for it!! Finally ditched it for a tablet with attachable mini-keyboard!!

I wish I could do that. However, Clickteam Fusion only runs on Windows PCs… :(
Ozoneocean at 5:38AM, May 21, 2016
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
KimLuster wrote:

You can get many Windows tablets now Lonne, running full versions of Windows 10.

Everyone ready for the meetup? EH? heeeey?

Unfortunately I'm really tried and have a headache floating around so I may not make the whole 10 hours, but hopefully other people will be able too. Who knows?
HippieVan at 7:12AM, May 21, 2016
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Lonnehart wrote:
KimLuster wrote:

You can get many Windows tablets now Lonne, running full versions of Windows 10.

Everyone ready for the meetup? EH? heeeey?

Unfortunately I'm really tried and have a headache floating around so I may not make the whole 10 hours, but hopefully other people will be able too. Who knows?

I'll be there! Definitely not for ten hours, but for an hour or two at least.
bravo1102 at 5:05PM, May 21, 2016
(offline)
With all the hours I have been doing, talk is impossible. Just too tired to do anything but sleep and work.

I even came close to collapse the other day but I was able to eat in time. And I can weather incredible body aches and migraine headaches at work when necessary. Just don't tell my doctor. He'll insist I cut out any overtime. And I really should. Who am I kidding?
ashtree house at 5:22PM, May 21, 2016
(offline)
I missed it too, had brunch with a friend and it ended up being an all day thing, thought it would only be an hour or two haha. I hadn't seen her in years so this was good and bad. I am going to actually going to block off the whole day next time this happens! I hope we def have another meet up!
Lonnehart at 2:18AM, May 22, 2016
(online)
Gotta love Sci Show on Youtube. Just learned that there's a chemical called Azidoazide Azide (C2N14) that will explode if you do NOTHING to it. Sounds like the temper of a former supervisor I know (she would scream at you with a ton of rage even if you're doing your job…. for doing your job)… Well… and she's now more volatile ever since she got demoted…
last edited on May 22, 2016 2:19AM
Ozoneocean at 3:40AM, May 22, 2016
(online)
@ Lonne. Lots of chemicals will do that. Even the simple ozone in my nick. Nothing more than O3. In its lovely dark blue liquid form it will react with most things quite explosively with no source of ignition.
ashtree house wrote:
I am going to actually going to block off the whole day next time this happens! I hope we def have another meet up!
Yep, there will be another on the 3rd Saturday of june, same in July and so on :)
last edited on May 22, 2016 3:44AM
Lonnehart at 9:01PM, May 22, 2016
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
@ Lonne. Lots of chemicals will do that. Even the simple ozone in my nick. Nothing more than O3. In its lovely dark blue liquid form it will react with most things quite explosively with no source of ignition.

That's true, but at least according to this show C2N13 is the most explosive of these (scientists can't even measure it without an explosion).

As for sci show, I find Hank Green and Michael Aranda (the hosts) to be hilarious at times. It's nice to learn something about science and have a good laugh while you're at it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckSoDW2-wrc

https://youtu.be/ABeBqbBy2Lo?t=487

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvdiYg6ZN-U

edit:

HAHAHA!!! My car's brakes… broke… So I spent the morning (with careful driving with what little brake power I had) shopping for brake parts and tools (why are 10mm open wrenches so freaking scarce?!?) and then spent the afternoon bleeding them ‘til the system had no air in it. Yep. This is something I’m able to do myself.

Now I have to keep an eye on them. I no longer trust the parts I buy (they're all after market after all). Especially when cheap after market brake pads come right off their metal brackets…
last edited on May 23, 2016 1:23AM
Ozoneocean at 8:55PM, May 24, 2016
(online)
Hey Lonne
Read “A Tall Tale” by Charles Stross. It's free on Amazon Kindle, which will work on your Android or iOS device.
He talks about all the super dangerous oxidisers in there in reference to the space program. It's very interesting, you'd really like it. :D

————–

The big skype meetup of all the DD people was a huge success, go listen to a small portion of it here: http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/quackcast/episode-272-dd-electric-people-community-meetup

I missed out at least two people from the full list, there may have been more too, it was hard for me to recall.

The next on will be on… the 3rd Saturday of next month. Or maybe another Saturday, depending on what else I have on but it WILL be a Saturday and there will be more so don't worry if you missed out.
bravo1102 at 11:25PM, May 24, 2016
(offline)
The third Saturday of June is the 18th. Waterloo Day. Good day for a Skype meeting if ever there was one.

If I can get the day off, I would be up for doing it as long as I can stay awake. If not, I can't participate because it would be too tempting to blow off work.
Lonnehart at 7:30PM, May 25, 2016
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Hey Lonne
Read “A Tall Tale” by Charles Stross. It's free on Amazon Kindle, which will work on your Android or iOS device.
He talks about all the super dangerous oxidisers in there in reference to the space program. It's very interesting, you'd really like it. :D

I'll grab that before going to work. Should make for an interesting read. :)

edit: well, it's not free and I don't have $.99 to spare at the moment. Maybe in a couple of weeks…
last edited on May 25, 2016 10:39PM
Ozoneocean at 1:33AM, May 26, 2016
(online)
It's $1 now? That's a shame. It's a really short thing. >:[

@Bravo- I don't know if we will actually have it on that date yet, I might be doesn't something then… Not sure. And unfortunately I'm the only one that everybody has on their contact lists :(
I am thinking about Google hangouts though… I have not been able to make that work in the pas but it's supposed to be great for big meetups? If so it would be a LOT easier for others to join without having to rely one one person who has all the connections.

———–

I now have enough skulls that I can have them on every part of my hussar uniform: one on my busby/colpak, one on a shako, one on my sabretach, one on my sword hilt, on on my cartridge box and one on my cross-belt.
So cool! :D

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon