Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Ozoneocean at 7:41PM, Oct. 27, 2014
(online)
@Peipei- I think that for most people too that school is a comon expereince that pretty much everyone of every age can relate to, so maybe that has something to do with the popularity? Most of us were school kids once, most of us had to go to school, had friends there, went through puberty and all that stuff; so the school setting has a universal appeal.

@Genejoke- shut up you antiscottish racist bastard!
I would like to go back in time and cockpunch the guy that first equated regional accents with racisism. Racisism is a serious subject that doesn't deserve to be trivialised by butthurt people who're sad that others can't understand their accents.
In the US there were people who couldn't understand what I said in my Aussie accent, it would've been insane of me to suggest that was “because of racisim”.
It's an example of the ignorance of lanaguge and what words mean actually begining to actively harm communication and cause strife between people.
Ironscarf at 9:25AM, Oct. 28, 2014
(offline)
You're messing with the wrong isms Genejoke. Ageism - that's what you need. You can be as insulting as you like with the age based jibes, or erroneously draw attention to someone's age, regardless of whether it has any bearing on the topic at hand. You can't do that with race, gender sexuality or any of the other classics. In fact, social justice warriors are some of the worst offenders when it comes to ageism.

Ageism is the way to go my old friend.
bravo1102 at 1:47PM, Oct. 28, 2014
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
You're messing with the wrong isms Genejoke. Ageism - that's what you need. You can be as insulting as you like with the age based jibes, or erroneously draw attention to someone's age, regardless of whether it has any bearing on the topic at hand. You can't do that with race, gender sexuality or any of the other classics. In fact, social justice warriors are some of the worst offenders when it comes to ageism.

Ageism is the way to go my old friend.
Just don't do it in a senior community in the USA. Some of those seniors can use their walkers and canes as deadly weapons. Those seniors are vicious when they bitched about ageism to their poor tired security guard who had nothing better to do than to listen to their woes. Did that for four years.

However, many seniors have the long perspective not to get all uptight about a few words. So ageism often doesn't work. Many of them laugh and pat you on the arm and tell you how bad a young person you are and how you'll learn with time or ask what would your mother say?

Thank heavens I do industrial security rather than senior residence security. Now I just have to listen to co-workers bitch about each other and the resident conservatives badmouth the president. Always makes me wonder if there are so many of them around who'll berate liberals endlessly how come conservatives don't win more elections? They're very vocal but very few.
Lonnehart at 3:25PM, Oct. 28, 2014
(online)
Our local election for governor is getting interesting. The incumbent governor has done a lot of work improving things here on the island. And I want him to stay in that chair. His opponent…

…is using misinformation and slander to make his opponent look bad. He's been suspected of attempting to manipulate the ballots so the election is in his favor. Even worse, he's already served two terms as governor. He then got his wife to run for governor afterwards, then his nephew.
Right now our government spending is in the black and they're only in debt. I'm worried if the old man returns to that seat we can look forward to an even bigger deficit, a longer wait to get our tax refunds (thanks to him we had to wait from 2 to 4 years to get them), and not getting FEMA assistance when a disaster happens (thanks to people in his government quietly moving the funds that FEMA gave them after supertyphoon Paka hit us and depositing them somewhere else)…

So unless there's some cheating going on there's a great chance that the incumbent governor will win. And if he does I'll ask my former boss (the current Lt. Governor) to institute some law to ensure that no one pulls more than two terms as governor in their lifetime (unless it's during wartime).
Ozoneocean at 7:50PM, Oct. 28, 2014
(online)
Gnerally I find that conservative governments are more apt to bankrupt a government because they insist on lowing taxes for big business, so they cut their own revenue streams… then they give OUT money to big business in the form of subsidies and incentives! And then they spend lots of money on cock hardening ego-projects like expensive figher jets, warships, wars, expensive building projects and so on.
That's been the expereince here in Australia.
They cut funding for social, medical, science, education, arts, and culture budgets and give the money instead to big business. -_-
—-

If I have anything to say about older people it's that as certain people age they tend to beleive more and more that they're the centre of the world. I've noticed this more with older women that anything else. There's the trope of the controlling “mother-in-law” from 1950s and ‘60s sitcoms in particular, there’s also the controlling aunts from PG Wodehouse stories, Mis Havershom in Dickens, the powerful mothers in Jane Austin stories… It has quite a spot in fiction but I think that's because it's based on some truth.
They see themselves as rulers of their own domains. On trains and busses it's the olderwomen who're more likely to hog extra seats by leaving their bags all over them and spreading out their stuff, not young sruffy teenage boys. The older ladies are far less polite about giving up space too. And mothers and grandmothers will always put themselves at the centre of things in various ways.

I joked with a firend that it goes back to our primitive days:
The older males would sit around scratching themselves, imagining they were in charge while in reality a cadre of older females would be constantly vying with each other for dominance while they ruled over the rest of the clan with an iron hand.

I do agree that agisim IS a bad thing though and a lot of assumptions people make about youth and age are wrong and harmful.
HippieVan at 9:35PM, Oct. 28, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
If I have anything to say about older people it's that as certain people age they tend to beleive more and more that they're the centre of the world. I've noticed this more with older women that anything else. There's the trope of the controlling “mother-in-law” from 1950s and ‘60s sitcoms in particular, there’s also the controlling aunts from PG Wodehouse stories, Mis Havershom in Dickens, the powerful mothers in Jane Austin stories… It has quite a spot in fiction but I think that's because it's based on some truth.
They see themselves as rulers of their own domains. On trains and busses it's the olderwomen who're more likely to hog extra seats by leaving their bags all over them and spreading out their stuff, not young sruffy teenage boys. The older ladies are far less polite about giving up space too. And mothers and grandmothers will always put themselves at the centre of things in various ways.
When I used to work in retail, I found that most of the “problem” customers were 60ish. Not to say that the majority of customers that age were trouble, just that the majority of trouble customers were that age. I've seen someone theorize that it has to do with “narrowing” - that as you get older you tend to interact with less of the world, so small things become more important. So calling my manager to complain about me because your dog's favourite treats were out of stock seems more reasonable. Women that age were more likely to cause issues over little things than men, but I always assumed it was because the store was staffed entirely by young women. (Now that brings to mind a whole OTHER category of problem customers who were the reason many of my coworkers wore fake wedding rings at work!)
But then, some of my very favourite regulars were the very elderly…they would come in and have a nice chat, and were the only customers who ever tried to tip me. So I don't know what the deal is. Maybe we just happen to have a lot of grumpy people that age in my neighbourhood. :P

I started Christmas shopping yesterday, because Christmas shopping is one of my favourite things. I've also discovered indie cosmetics/perfumes recently which are awesome…unique and way cheaper than big brand name stuff, although you have to deal with delayed shipments and stuff sometimes that comes with smaller companies. Anyways, a ton of these companies released Halloween lines which are perfect for my (slightly goth) little sister, so I think she's going to love her presents this year. :)
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
bravo1102 at 5:40AM, Oct. 29, 2014
(offline)
Actually both ozoneocean and Hippie van are showing ageiam. They are attributing negative behavior to an entire group because of a handful of anecdotes and a cutlural misperception.
Thank you this has been a paid PSA from the Council on Aging. ;-)

Having worked in retail for several decades I found that difficult customers could be anybody and they shared one thing in common: they felt victimized. Why me? Seniors often feel victimized by socieity in general so they react more often. Bite your tongue and be empathic. Empathy can disarm the most crusty of crumudgeons. I've done it. Those bags everywhere on the bus? “Excuse me ma'am, my wife is very tired and needs to sit down.”

So what can I do to make you happy right here and now? (if something is out of stock you gotta be creative) There are all kinds of training videos about offering choices and showing empathy. What can I do to have a positive shopping expereince? (within reason)
HippieVan at 7:14AM, Oct. 29, 2014
(online)
OMG, be polite and empathetic to customers? Why didn't I think of that? Whenever customers were grumpy with me I just smacked them around a bit
bravo1102 at 7:48AM, Oct. 29, 2014
(offline)
HippieVan wrote:
OMG, be polite and empathetic to customers? Why didn't I think of that? Whenever customers were grumpy with me I just smacked them around a bit
So did I. I was asked to “step outside” more than once. But hardware departments just aren't the right place to say that. Too many heavy blunt objects around. Then I learned to bend over fucking backwards if necessary so the customer just will SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Are you rolling your eyes at me?
No I'm thinking about what we can do to please you.
I'm never shopping here again!
Can't blame you, it is pretty nasty, but I'm stuck in the same place you are and it ain't easy.
Yeah, sorry.
Just do what I can in a difficult situation and if I can't we're both unhappy.

Disarm them and work together towards a solution. Not confrontation but cooperation. Just so they will SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE! That's my goal. I want them to go away.
That's what I'm thinking the whole time. JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DIE! But I work it through and do my best to solve the problem and get them out of my face.

And sometimes I end up with a friend. Holy shit you mean it works? Yeah but I'm really fucking good at it.
last edited on Oct. 29, 2014 7:53AM
Ozoneocean at 8:22AM, Oct. 29, 2014
(online)
Bravo, whenever there's an older woman on public transport she's more likley to hog space and if she does then she won't be eager to cede it, that's just what they do. The same way that big, burly men will sit with their legs far enough appart to give berth to a baby hippo.
Both are being dickish in different ways but the big burly guys take up less space.
Both sides of my family that my grandmothers were always dominant forces. I have aunts who're the same. Their families are their empires, over which they rule, while their husbands sort of fade into the background where family is concerned.

Those cultural tropes are well established, pretty old and are alive in many different nations; all over Europe, Japan, Russia, Even down to Australian aboriginal tribal stories, so I assume it's based on something?

People change along predictable patterns as they mature with puberty, who's to say that doesn't continue? ^_^
This comedy vid about “Second Puberty” is a fantastic illustration of that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veq4Oc8S7-I

I think people DO change in fairly predictable ways. Are people objectively better at some stages (younger VS older) of their life than others? No, I don't think so. There can be contexts in which some types of typical behavior by people can be obnoxious though; older women in control situations, young teens handing around together in large groups, 20 year old guys cat calling women on the street, young women together in catty competative groups, large groups of men being agressive over sport…
Lonnehart at 10:56AM, Oct. 29, 2014
(online)
Well, it's been a while but I found a new bulb for my MAGlite flashlight. It's hard for bulbs to last long on that thing. Or maybe I'm just buying really cheap bulbs at a high price (things tend to be overpriced around here). Oh, well…

A while back our boss lifted that ban on metal flashlights after one of our guys got grievously injured during a robbery. Kinda hard to defend yourself with a 3 inch flashlight made of plastic which uses traditional bulbs (as opposed to LEDs which all the other security places were using). So I'm allowed to carry my MAGlite around again.

Oddly enough, I get two reactions from people who I confront while carrying it despite holding it in a way that's non threatening. Either they'll comply with my requests and leave my sight immediately, or they'll try to… um… puff up their chests so to speak and act really tough.. then leave my sight. I guess when people see a MAGlite that takes 6 D cells they immediately think I'm carrying a firearm or something…

And now for this video again…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwLg4tYvg0k
Because inserting a key and sliding a card are never TOO dramatic. ;)
HippieVan at 12:28PM, Oct. 29, 2014
(online)
I like flirting, but I kind of hate being asked out/going on dates. I know it's the kind of thing I should be doing right now, but it's so stressful. -_- “I'd rather just stay at home with my cats and play Civilization” is not a great excuse, though.

Lonnehart wrote:
Oddly enough, I get two reactions from people who I confront while carrying it despite holding it in a way that's non threatening. Either they'll comply with my requests and leave my sight immediately, or they'll try to… um… puff up their chests so to speak and act really tough.. then leave my sight. I guess when people see a MAGlite that takes 6 D cells they immediately think I'm carrying a firearm or something…

Haha! They're intimidated by the size of your flashlight!

ozoneoceanwrote:
I think people DO change in fairly predictable ways. Are people objectively better at some stages (younger VS older) of their life than others? No, I don't think so. There can be contexts in which some types of typical behavior by people can be obnoxious though; older women in control situations, young teens handing around together in large groups, 20 year old guys cat calling women on the street, young women together in catty competative groups, large groups of men being agressive over sport

That's basically what I was trying to get across as well. I actually find guys in their late 20s to early 30s be the worst for cat calling, though. That might be unique to my city…cat calling in general doesn't seem to be as common here as in some other cities, so generally it's done by sort of stunted man-child types.

I hate to say this, but when girls my age (like 18-25ish) get into groups, it's the absolute worst sometimes. Just the sheer amount of talking is mind-boggling to me. I'm planning to buy some headphones soon to drown out girls on the bus to and from school. But you're right about it being the context - I get along perfectly well with these same girls on a one-to-one basis. But for whatever reason the group dynamic of young women often seems to turn into a shouting competition.
last edited on Oct. 29, 2014 12:29PM
bravo1102 at 5:04PM, Oct. 29, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Those cultural tropes are well established, pretty old and are alive in many different nations; all over Europe, Japan, Russia, Even down to Australian aboriginal tribal stories, so I assume it's based on something?
You forget I'm half Russian. The Russian Baba (grandma) as family head is not only established but expected. I was raised by mine and of my three siblings I am the only one to have a mostly positive memory of my grandmother.
I may hate myself and know myself to a mean and selfish person but if I treat others as Id like to be treated I am often surprised at how they reciprocate and treat me well, indeed better than I deserve. That people are what they are I know but that they can behave in a considerate manner if properly treated I expect and work my utmost to obtain. I can get that lordly woman on the bus to move her packages so I can sit down and even get her to smile at me. Somehow I can fool people into thinking I'm this kind, empathic and gentle person and can even get them to reciprocate. I know the world isn't that bad but is in fact worse, but people as individuals will often react positively to a genuine smile from an active listener.

I have done it. So I must be doing something right in order to have gotten the results I have.

People as groups are entirely different. Then use that six D-battery MAG light and bash'em over the head. Repeatedly. Berate them like a proper Drill Sergeant until they get their head out of their ass and do what they're supposed to. Now unass my area of operations and move out promptly. Like you have a fucking purpose people!
Ozoneocean at 9:08PM, Oct. 29, 2014
(online)
Marshmallow fluff mixed with this creamy strawberry and vanilla flavoured spread I found on the back shelves of the supermarket tastes heavenly!!!!!!!
The strawberry spread is great… It's made with a bunch of vegtable oils I think, all mixed up to become a fatty, flavourful dream. :D
It's hard to describe… Maybe it's similar to icing (frosting for you Americans), but with a lot of creamy fat added, like butter but without the butter flavour. The strawberry flavour is similar to Nestle Quick.
This stuff blows Nutella out of the atmosphere!

———-

Lonne, that has to be a spoof right?

———–

The funny thing about groups of similar people is that their worst traists seem to magnify.
Lonnehart at 12:22AM, Oct. 30, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
———-

Lonne, that has to be a spoof right?

———–

I think so. It's from some giant robot anime called Gao Gai Gar. I like to think it's a spoof on both giant robots, their activation sequences, and that the sword is often something is identified with Japanese culture (in a lot of this type of anime giant robots often wield swords in battle).

As for giant robot spoofs, I love this most of all because the famed “Rocket Punch” is cool looking, but very impractical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhegyYeZEU
last edited on Oct. 30, 2014 12:23AM
Ironscarf at 5:15AM, Oct. 30, 2014
(offline)
Glad to see you guys are really getting into this whole ageism thing! I do think as you get older, whatever negative traits you may have tend to become more obvious. You probably just stop caring what anybody else thinks whereas when you're younger, there's more of a desire to find your place and fit it. That's over generalising of course.

As for the whole dominant matriarch thing, I'm pretty sure that's some kind of biological, evolutionary response to our dim and distant past. Once we're past working age, men have outlived their usefulness. Having said that, some of us never achieve usefulness.
Ozoneocean at 6:48AM, Oct. 30, 2014
(online)
You know what you call someone who's really useful?

A tool.
^_^
bravo1102 at 2:10PM, Oct. 30, 2014
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
As for the whole dominant matriarch thing, I'm pretty sure that's some kind of biological, evolutionary response to our dim and distant past. Once we're past working age, men have outlived their usefulness. Having said that, some of us never achieve usefulness.
Ah but men never become unable to breed. So as long as they have females willing to care for them they can continue to add members to the tribe. On the other hand just what is a woman useful for after menopause? What evoltutionary niche does that process fill? With all these matriarchies maybe that of clan head?

One author suggested that grandmothers are necessary to care for the children while the younger females are pregnant or go out to gather food. Human children do take forever to mature and maybe an older female would be the den mother while the fertile ones were pregnant. Then that alpha female got to clan head behind that alpha male. Now she wouldn't be of the most effective of leaders if pregnant so there developed menopause?

Human sexual evolutin involves a lot of specific traits and behaviors. I mean why do human among all the primates females have such noticable breasts? They're huge and so obvious in comparison with other primates and the human back definitely hasn't evolved to handle the top-heaviness. Heck the human spine still struggles along with the whole walking upright thing. That's why back problems are so endemic among humans, humans simply weren't designed to walk upright. And it sucks more because our limbs have adjusted in size so going on all fours isn't practical. But then the breasts would hang down like huge pendulums so in all liklihood large human breasts came after walking upright. Yep early human female throw those shoulders back and show'em what you got.

No wonder those “venus” figurines are all boob and bloated (pregnant?) tummy. Just what are you saying there early humans? Objectifying females already? But then men are just huge erect phallic shapes so maybe it cuts both ways. Um, please don't say cut when referring to the phallus. ;-)
Lonnehart at 7:33PM, Oct. 30, 2014
(online)
I guess I'll be using my flashlight tonight. Halloween night. I've been asked to look out for weirdo creeps following the kids around during their time out. But most likely I'm gonna be looking out for people who are in costume… drunk, intoxicated, or otherwise (because my shift begins at 10pm and it's unlikely any trick or treaters will be around where I'm at).
Ozoneocean at 7:42PM, Oct. 30, 2014
(online)
Meopause- As men and women age infant mortality and birth probles increase, so menopause is useful in putting an end to that issue and diroverting resources away from all that sexual infrastructure.
The men will still have increase risk of producing sick babies though :(
Probably the older females were the clan heads, perhaps a number of them, if they could tollerate each other.

———–

Are any of you North Americans doing something for Halloween?
bravo1102 at 7:52PM, Oct. 30, 2014
(offline)
Posting a sign and trying to switch from nocturnal to diurnal without disturbance.
Do not ring
the doorbell
lest ye disturb the sleep of the undead.
Ozoneocean at 10:52PM, Oct. 30, 2014
(online)
WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP!
Lonnehart at 12:05AM, Oct. 31, 2014
(online)
I want to buy this game… don't know exactly why…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOztnsBPrAA
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:14AM, Oct. 31, 2014
(online)
At what age is someone “too old” to go trick-or-treating?

Halloween is tonight and it makes me think back to the last time I went door to door asking for candy. The last time I went was when I was seventeen years old (I thought I was pushing it then!). But now I have friends in their thirties who want to go trick-or-treating. Honestly, I feel like this could only end awkwardly without a kid. Similar to carnival rides and jump houses made for children, the only socially acceptable time to go trick-or-treating as an adult is when toting around a small child as an excuse. I even thought about pushing around a baby carriage filled with a bag of potatoes and pointing to it if the neighbors give weird looks. Still, I know there is an age appropriate time when a kid is allowed to ask for free candy (12 and under). Any age above that should have the ability to purchase their own candy.

Over the last ten years, I have experienced all sorts of Adult Halloween themed parties. Adults get really into the dress up part with innapropriate current event or sexy-(insert name here) costumes. I guess I am just longing for the days that Halloween meant trick-or-treating and was not about dressing like a Sexy-ebolavirus parasite. For me, the ideal costume has always been the ghost made out of a white sheet and cut out eyeholes like Charlie Brown. It seems like a horrible waste of a good sheet, though.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Oct. 31, 2014 11:19AM
Lonnehart at 3:54PM, Oct. 31, 2014
(online)
I think I remember “Trick or Treating”… once or twice? My mother was against us going out at night in costume. She was VERY overprotective of us. We only managed to go out those few times because our father wasn't working that night.
Now my sister and youngest brother take their kids out for Halloween. Possibly as an excuse to go themselves but at the same time to personally protect the kids. And they only go to places that are “designated” for the activity, such as the mall or certain condo type areas.
kawaiidaigakusei at 8:24PM, Oct. 31, 2014
(online)
Alright, I decided that the best way to dress up without being completely awkward was to dress in costume WHILE handing out Halloween candy. I love living in the suburbs. I never lived in an apartment with enough kids to trick-or-treat in Los Angeles, so I have been missing the candy and costume part of Halloween.

Here is what I learned this year:

- I am now easily closer in age to the parents because some were wearing adult sized teenage mutant ninja turtle suits.
- Parents who drink wine out of a wine glass while taking their kids around the neighborhood look like a posh lush.
- I treat older teenagers with even more respect because it takes balls to dress up and go door to door. I asked for candy preferences and gave double the amount. I was met with shocked reactions and gracious thanks.
- Adults who take their fifteen month old out for candy are not fooling anyone. I know exactly who will be eating the candy and I bet it is not that toddler in a cute costume who still has yet to say its first words.
- I give repeat offenders (double treaters) more candy because they are doing twice the work.

All in all, I think the older one gets, the more exciting Halloween becomes as a holiday. Still, I am just glad to be miles away from all those “slutty” style costumes and streets soaked with the smell of beer and urine.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Banes at 12:16PM, Nov. 1, 2014
(offline)
I worked on Halloween.
Here's a great Halloween idea that tickled me to no end when I saw it last year. Might be fun to do some year…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=995I68XugNs

Lonnehart at 2:25PM, Nov. 1, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Alright, I decided that the best way to dress up without being completely awkward was to dress in costume WHILE handing out Halloween candy. I love living in the suburbs. I never lived in an apartment with enough kids to trick-or-treat in Los Angeles, so I have been missing the candy and costume part of Halloween.

Here is what I learned this year:
- I am now easily closer in age to the parents because some were wearing adult sized teenage mutant ninja turtle suits.
- Parents who drink wine out of a wine glass while taking their kids around the neighborhood look like a posh lush.
- I treat older teenagers with even more respect because it takes balls to dress up and go door to door. I asked for candy preferences and gave double the amount. I was met with shocked reactions and gracious thanks.
- Adults who take their fifteen month old out for candy are not fooling anyone. I know exactly who will be eating the candy and I bet it is not that toddler in a cute costume who still has yet to say its first words.
- I give repeat offenders (double treaters) more candy because they are doing twice the work.
All in all, I think the older one gets, the more exciting Halloween becomes as a holiday. Still, I am just glad to be miles away from all those “slutty” style costumes and streets soaked with the smell of beer and urine.

From the few pictures and all the text I've seen from you, I don't think you're the type to wear skimpy outfits or other such outfits on Halloween. And handing out candy while in costume is a great idea! I went out for Halloween… as a Security Guard.

Then again I was working that night…
last edited on Nov. 1, 2014 2:28PM
bravo1102 at 3:29AM, Nov. 2, 2014
(offline)
So the site is losing one of its backbone employees. So the idiot-in-charge (I call him our fearful leader and everyone else just insults him continuously. He's really pathetic) decided to cross train all the guards from my post. So I got hit with a 12 hour shift with no forewarning. I don't count "hey there's a possiblity of you working a 12 hour to cover Spenser tomorrow adequate forewarning. I am working three 12-hour shifts in a row and then get to come in 8AM to 3PM and then turning aorund and coming in for that night.

The fearful leader knows better than to ask me because he knows I'd rip him a new one. He'll probably wait a week or so before talking to me because he knows I am a softy who easily forgives pathetic creatures such as himself. He did what he had to do, but at least he could have called. If there's no one else I'll doit. Besides I could use some overtime. But don't freeking kill me with it!

So I ranted and did the shift. I got home so tired every kid in New Jersey could have rung my doorbell pounded on the door and screamed bloody murder and I would have slept through it. Which is precisely what I did.

Got to see another tower come down at the refinery. They're demolishing it. It was one of the last refineries in the North East. Now there's nothing. Our terminal was the only one open after Sandy so trucks were backed up for miles so even without a refinery it can get busy. The former refinery looks like a wasteland from one of those post-apocolypitc movies. Before it looked all cool and abandoned and half falling apart and perfect for a creature feature, now it'd be great for mutants hiding out in the piles of rubble to kill poor unsuspecting survivors.

After working to exhaustion on Saturday the wife and I forgot all about Daylight Savings Time so we didn't set the clocks back. Hence I am typing this. I got up an hour early and didn't know it until I checked my cell phone. So I have some time for a cup of tea and some heavy sighs. I missed an update on the comic because of the work schedule and I'm more than 20 pages ahead in production but I've hit a snag with some action choreography. I might have taken about 50 pictures I won't be using at all.
Ozoneocean at 6:29PM, Nov. 2, 2014
(online)
That's super rough Bravo. When are you going to move up to be a supervisor? Or wouldn't you want that sort of job?

Halloween isn't a big thing here, but it's a LOT bigger now than when I was a kid. Back then it was just something you saw on American TV shows. These days people actually have halloween parties (although people will use any excuse to have a party), and some kids will trick or treat. That's still very uncommon thoughI spent that evening consoling a depressed friend, watching episodes of Modern Families and “Big Brother”… That's a pretty hardcore halloween!
I mean it.

———

One thing I really dislike is “fashion”.
I like clothes, I like style, I like things that flatter a figure.
“Fashion” is a little different though. It's about disposable styles that are created and marketed to sell a new season's crop of designs, in order to maintain a yearly turnover and encourage people to keep buying.
“Fashion” rarely equals “style”. More often people are peer preasured into wearing ridiculous, ugly, unflattering garments simply to remain current.
Always the most stylish people are at complete variance with current fashion. They make their own style from theings that flatter them or that they love so much they make it look good and it becomes part of their character.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon