Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2015 Rant/Share/General Discussion thread
Ozoneocean at 10:25PM, Oct. 31, 2015
(online)
Niccea wrote:

I was in a witch costume. My husband was the tenth Doctor and bro was the eleventh. After a while, when we saw so many teenagers, I had my brother get out a Nixon mask and a fedora and jump out at unsuspecting people.

last edited on Nov. 1, 2015 1:49AM
HippieVan at 12:04PM, Nov. 1, 2015
(online)
I was going to go to a party with a friend of mine last night, but forgot I had to do my practicum this morning and couldn't really be out late. So instead I just went to her house and watched Arsenic and Old Lace and handed out candy, and then I went home and she went to the party. The movie was great and I definitely enjoyed it more than I would have enjoyed a party. Has anyone else seen it? It's such a strange film - I have no idea how they got Cary Grant to be so goofy, and we were killing ourselves laughing the whole time. He's usually so “I'm experiencing emotions and I find it unpleasant, so I will grimace and yell my feelings at you.”

Anyways, I dressed up as Maya Fey, spirit medium! My little sister went as Ema Skye.

Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 6:29PM, Nov. 1, 2015
(online)
It's nice to see everyone celebrating Halloween. I haven't celebrated the holiday for over fifteen years now…
Come to think of it, I haven't been able to celebrate any holiday much for those years. I've always ended up working…
bravo1102 at 10:01AM, Nov. 2, 2015
(offline)
Sad to hear you're unfamiliar with the goofy Cary Grant. He first gained fame doing screwball comedies where he was often very silly. Bringing up Baby among others. One of my favorites is the adventure film Gunga Din where for once he plays a cockney which is what he really was. Good old Archibald Leach whosee best role was just playing himself.
Ozoneocean at 4:32PM, Nov. 2, 2015
(online)
I remember that film. Very weird to see him being himself.

Hippie that costume is cosplay and it's fantastic!
bravo1102 at 2:01AM, Nov. 3, 2015
(offline)
Cary Grant's best film arguably could be his totally against type turn as the agent in Hitchcock's Notorious. Which also featured Tantz Aerine… I mean Ingrid Bergman. The last few costume casts she has been unknowingly (or is it knowingly?) channeling Ingrid Bergman.

I have a DVD set of his very early films when he was a great goofy screwball comedy romantic lead. Good stuff to see how “Cary Grant” came about. He said that he only ever played one role that of “Cary Grant” in all his movies. You know to segeway into the conversation about hapless heroes and “friends” the screwball comedy played on that trope a lot.
Ozoneocean at 2:42AM, Nov. 3, 2015
(online)
He's pretty good in this accademy award acceptance speech here in 1970 as a healthy 66 year old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Zijgn-c9w

He's not ever really a hapless loser though, he's the oposite of that character. You look at him and just know he's like an electro babe-magnet… a reluctant one.
Ironscarf at 3:31AM, Nov. 3, 2015
(offline)
I love those early Cary Grant movies. I can't remember the name of
the one where he's at Potawatomi college - his comic timing is
brilliant. Reminds me of Clark Gable in a way. He was another heartthrob
who excelled in comedy roles.

Talking of people playing
themselves, here's someone you might be familiar with, in a very
atypical role, with what is reputed to be his original speaking voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri0B9rc_hv8
Ozoneocean at 4:03AM, Nov. 3, 2015
(online)
That's lovely, but I'm suspicious… I think he's acting. He does most words broardly in the right way for the accent but the lilts on the little connecting words are hoity, It reminds me of when I try and do an accent- I can get most words in the feel of it but I revert back to type on those connecting parts…
bravo1102 at 4:38AM, Nov. 3, 2015
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
He's pretty good in this accademy award acceptance speech here in 1970 as a healthy 66 year old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Zijgn-c9w

He's not ever really a hapless loser though, he's the oposite of that character. You look at him and just know he's like an electro babe-magnet… a reluctant one.
Bringing up Baby. I was a Male War Bride. to name two moves where he played the hapless character.
Ironscarf at 5:59AM, Nov. 3, 2015
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
That's lovely, but I'm suspicious… I think he's acting. He does most words broardly in the right way for the accent but the lilts on the little connecting words are hoity, It reminds me of when I try and do an accent- I can get most words in the feel of it but I revert back to type on those connecting parts…

The thing is he switched to the upper class accent early on and it wasn't just for show. Those closest to him said he maintained it at all times, never letting it slip even in private. So by the time he did this part, reverting back to type meant reverting back to his assumed accent, with hisoriginal one not quite convincing any more.

It's a bit like where I grew up in the midlands. I moved form there over 25 years ago and although I retain certain parts of it, if I try to do the local dialect I grew up with, it sounds ridiculously fake.
Ozoneocean at 6:33AM, Nov. 3, 2015
(online)
That makes sense Scarf. Lots of British actors in the theatre did that apparently… Most of the old British TV shows and movies we got over here only had people talking in more stylised versions of the other accents (hahaha Carry On movies), which made Grange Hill pretty harsh on the ears… and East Enders was intollerable T_T
When the opening sounds on that damn theme came on after Dr Who it was time to turn off the TV and do ANYTHING else.

Strangley though, I loved Minder.
bravo1102 at 6:52AM, Nov. 3, 2015
(offline)
So many subtle inflections and vowel pronunciation in dialect that once overcome it's very difficult to recapture. Not unless you never really lost it to begin with. Listen to Maureen O'Hara's inflections and there is always a slight Irish lilt. And then there is constant practice to overcome the flat inflection of Midwestern US dialect to do anything else. Even a born southerner once they adapt the flat inflection sounds fake reverting to the dialect they were born into.
kawaiidaigakusei at 3:36PM, Nov. 3, 2015
(online)
Ahem, Bravo! Born and raised at an early age in the US Midwest, I am very content with the sound of my accent. Flat it may be, it is a sought after accent according to linguistics majors.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 12:56AM, Nov. 4, 2015
(offline)
Kawaii, I have the same accent though in the Pennsylvania version. I was just noting how hard it is to catch the different vowel sounds or swallowed syllables if I want to do anything else. I'm told I can and have even fooled natives so I might be doing something right even if not so well traveled as some. I might just have a good ear for language which means I missed out on a great career as a linguist.
Gunwallace at 5:06PM, Nov. 4, 2015
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
… I missed out on a great career as a linguist.
You'd have been a crafty, wily and artful linguist I'm sure.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Ozoneocean at 5:17PM, Nov. 4, 2015
(online)
Cunning…
kawaiidaigakusei at 6:35PM, Nov. 4, 2015
(online)
Skill, concentration, precision, natural talent and an interest in the subject are what separates the cunning linguists from the vulgar hoard.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Nov. 4, 2015 6:57PM
Ozoneocean at 7:38PM, Nov. 4, 2015
(online)
Aaahahahahaha, so true Kawaii, so true ^_^

Oh eM Gee yew gauys! The cleaning lady here smells like a sweaty vag. -_-
I'm not joking. It's bad. Really bad.
Deoderant makes the world go around. I wish more people realised that.
last edited on Nov. 4, 2015 7:42PM
Lonnehart at 12:01AM, Nov. 5, 2015
(online)
Well, found the source of my DNS errors. Turns out my router was going bad due to all the shenanigans from the power company. It was simple to fix, though. A hard factory reset, then a firmware update, then finally adjusting my wireless channel so my tablet won't have such a hard time surfing the internet.
That was a major headache to deal with…
Ozoneocean at 3:09AM, Nov. 5, 2015
(online)
Thank god Lonne! Now you can look up pics of sweaty vag. XD
That's really what it smells like… It permeates the entire office after she's been. I stongly suspect it's some kind of pherremone perfume, like from a rhino or an elephant or something.
It's not nice.

———

I got my aviator sunglasses back today! Hooray! All fixed :D
This old pair of gold frame 1970s Raybans used to belong to my dad. I've had them fixed time and again, but they're STILL going strong. Awesome pair of sunnies.

While I was waiting (it's been a week), I tried using my nice fake raybans with green gradient lenses I got in Spain last year, but that didn't work out at all- the were fine for the weak Euro sun but do NUZINK for the radioctive glare of the nuclear Aussie sunlight.
So I used my 1930s round lensed antique Wilson sunnies instead… They are REALLY dark, with leather side peices so almost no light gets in. They're great, but they have spring hooks that go over the ears instead of wings so they're fiddley to put on and the leather side pieces mean you're blind to everything that's not dead ahead, so they're a bit dangerous.
The old style flat lenses are a LOT clearer to look through though than modern shaped glass or plastic, even when its dirty.
HippieVan at 12:18PM, Nov. 5, 2015
(online)
Hadn't checked this thread in a while and scrolled right to the most recent post. O_o Thanks for the imagery, oz.

Today has been a bit of a rollercoaster. I had a meeting to talk with a prof about my research proposal for his class, and he okayed my topic but seemed really iffy about it. I was really excited about my idea before this, and I really respect this particular prof and feel compelled to impress him so I was feeling crappy about the whole thing.

And then came home and had a letter from the University, saying I had been awarded a $10,000 scholarship. I genuinely thought it was a typo at first, and had to check my university account to see if that was the actual amount. For context, that's about two years' tuition at an average Canadian university. I'm feeling kind of bewildered - no one has ever thought I was worth that much money before, and to have it just handed to me with such a casual letter is really crazy. I feel like I want to tell everyone, but I'm pretty sure it will just make my friends hate me so I'm just sort of quietly crying to myself right now.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ironscarf at 3:47PM, Nov. 5, 2015
(offline)
Well done Hippie you deserve it - pretty sure we all think you're worth at least $10,000. But yes, all you're friends will hate you now. Crossing you off my christmas list as we speak!
Ozoneocean at 5:19PM, Nov. 5, 2015
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
m
And then came home and had a letter from the University, saying I had been awarded a $10,000 scholarship. I genuinely thought it was a typo at first, and had to check my university account to see if that was the actual amount. For context, that's about two years' tuition at an average Canadian university. I'm feeling kind of bewildered - no one has ever thought I was worth that much money before, and to have it just handed to me with such a casual letter is really crazy. I feel like I want to tell everyone, but I'm pretty sure it will just make my friends hate me so I'm just sort of quietly crying to myself right now.
That's fantastic!!!!!!
Lonnehart at 5:23PM, Nov. 5, 2015
(online)
Congratulations, Hippie! Hopefully if while going through those two years of college you can save up a ton in case you wish to further your education. But that's not counting any other scholarships you may recieve in the future. :)
Banes at 3:26PM, Nov. 9, 2015
(offline)
Congratulations, Hip! That's fantastic!! And you are worth every penny and more to us!

KimLuster at 6:44PM, Nov. 9, 2015
(online)
That's so wonderful hippie! Congratulations! School is so expensive these days - I know that has to help tremendously!!
Ozoneocean at 12:34AM, Nov. 10, 2015
(online)
Quackcast 244 is ALIVE! Along with the 11 minute viedeo of us in costume on youtubes… As well as HERE on DD: http://theduckwebcomics.com/video/

That's right, we actually have videos on this damn site. Does anyone remember that? I didn't, till I started doing vids and though “heeeeey… wasn't there a vid section at one stage…?” and amazinigly it was STILL there so I'mma usin' it!
bravo1102 at 1:11AM, Nov. 10, 2015
(offline)
Congratulations hippie! Gosh $10000 was the total cost of my four years. How times have changed. Make sure you get your money's worth.
Ozoneocean at 2:25AM, Nov. 11, 2015
(online)

It finally came!
I have never had a real microphone for the Quackcasts, now I finaly do… I might actually sound almost as good as Banes for once.

I chose this type because it looks like a medical device from a Terry Gilliam movie… also it doubles as an anal probe torture device/dental drill. XD

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon