2015 Rant/Share/General Discussion thread
HippieVan at 10:31AM, Nov. 11, 2015
(online)
@bravo:
“make sure you get your money's worth”
*getting a history degree*
:\

ironscarfwrote:
Crossing you off my christmas list as we speak!

Pfft, buying my own Christmas presents this year with all my enormous stacks of cash I have lying around now!

Seriously though, thanks guys! ^_^

ozoneocean wrote:
That's right, we actually have videos on this damn site. Does anyone remember that? I didn't, till I started doing vids and though heeeeey wasn't there a vid section at one stage? and amazinigly it was STILL there so I'mma usin' it!

Coincidentally I was trying to find something on the admin side of the site the other day and saw that section. And also tutorials! It must be years now since someone's done one of those.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Banes at 12:34PM, Nov. 11, 2015
(offline)
nice microphone! better than mine I think!

KimLuster at 2:42PM, Nov. 11, 2015
(online)
I always picture you guys in the same room during these casts - me and my non-spacial brain…!
Ozoneocean at 8:00PM, Nov. 11, 2015
(online)
We can't be in the same room together anymore… ever since Banes got the dog suit my trouser legs haven't been safe :(

-

Banes- thanks man! Your's is probably better though to be honest. Mine looks cool and it's made of nice heavy material, but it was relaivetly inexpensive- certainly not a brand item, just one of those no-name Chinese makers I think. It's a lucky dip with buying that stuff.
HippieVan at 7:37AM, Nov. 13, 2015
(online)
For anyone who didn't see the newspost, Secret Santa sign ups are up! theduckwebcomics.com/forum/topic/177384/
kawaiidaigakusei at 5:35PM, Nov. 13, 2015
(online)
Good God, Paris.

My arm began to involuntary shake while I was scrolling through my phone in the coffee shop as today's news of the deadly explosions in France became the top story.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Ozoneocean at 4:11AM, Nov. 14, 2015
(online)
The Paris incident is bad, I feel sorry for them.
Unfortunately these things bring out the nasty anti-islam bigots in reaction…
Sympathising with the French people is the right way to go, not having some xenephobic rant like an idiot. Afterall, this stuff happenes every second da in Iraq and Afghanistan and who bought the war there….? The same por-war antiislam morons who're ranting now,

And here's me with my counter-rant -_-
But the thing is, those bottomfeeding members of our population dance to the tune of the terrorists, like the unthinking blobs of reaction they are: the terrorists only objective is more strife and a wider spread war and that's exactly what the biggots call for every time this happens. Then they persecute the intergrated Muslim populations and blame them for the terrorist attacks, which in turn alienates them and sows the seeds for more terrorists and so on.
HippieVan at 6:35AM, Nov. 14, 2015
(online)
Yeah, I'm really concerned about how Canadians seem to be responding so far. Our prime minister posted a short message just saying that our thoughts are with France, and under both the French and English version the top comments were something like “AND YOURE PLANNING ON LETTING IN 25,000 OF THEM.” I hope Trudeau has the courage to fulfill that promise even if it becomes unpopular in the wake of this event.
bravo1102 at 1:05PM, Nov. 14, 2015
(offline)
You know the Boston Marathon bombing was done by Muslim refugees. So you can't let in anyone from any disputed area because of the potential for radicalization. And I mean the potential for radicalization on BOTH SIDES nativeist xenophobes and Islamist terrorism.
KimLuster at 1:36PM, Nov. 14, 2015
(online)
It's sad when we all know how it should go, how it should be, and absolutely we know it's gonna go otherwise! It just feels inevitable!
Genejoke at 1:37PM, Nov. 14, 2015
(online)
Yeah seeing some dumb ass posts online enquiry after Paris, but also a lot of reasoned ones too. Faith in humanity not all lost.
Lonnehart at 2:56PM, Nov. 14, 2015
(online)
Honestly… I pray for the people of France. This is just terrible. I can't really say anything as everything's been said already…

Well, I saw this video…

Flappy Bird Game in Seven Minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMXQQWjgJBg

And I think I'll try making one. Except it won't be a clone. I'll just take the basic mechanics and add to them.

And now I'm starting to wonder… what if Drunkduck expanded out from webcomics and also started hosting free (yet monetized via ads) indie games? Except it would be on a site with the old Drunkduck name?

Don't mind me. I'm just speculating…
last edited on Nov. 14, 2015 2:57PM
Gunwallace at 4:03PM, Nov. 14, 2015
(offline)
“We have always been at war with Eastasia” – George Orwell, 1984.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
kawaiidaigakusei at 7:42PM, Nov. 14, 2015
(online)
I am currently at a theatre waiting with anticipation for Neil Gaiman to talk. I know this will be an incredible experience, so I am decked out in all black and his character, Death's, make up. I have no inhibitions because I will never see any of the other patrons again and I want to have a good time.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
HippieVan at 8:09PM, Nov. 15, 2015
(online)
They should make a drug that motivates you. I don't need energy or focus or whatever, I just need something that gives me the ability to actually do what I'm supposed to be doing. This weekend I taught myself cyrillic rather than doing my Russian history homework.
bravo1102 at 3:15AM, Nov. 16, 2015
(offline)
I want to be back to work on a comic. Instead I am doing some models because that fits better in my work schedule. I'm trying to write but just can't get a handle on the next Tales of SIG installment and have been pumping out bits for Belle's Best. Well that's when there's a moment I can string three thoughts together. Which is not very often.

Instead I have been watching some anime a friend recommended. It's a bit of everything so long as it's a limited series and not some endless mainstream stuff that never ends. I just finished Code Geass and Gosick. I highly recommend Gosick as a good period detective series with a genius girl who sucks on a pipe to think.
Ozoneocean at 8:32AM, Nov. 16, 2015
(online)
That's fantastic Kawaii! I'm glad you dressed up! People should use any chance they get to do stuff like that.

@Bravo- I may check out that Anime. Recently I've been getting through “Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad”
It's a pretty realistic take on a stuggling band and a highschool kid learning to play guitar and trying to get through school. A lot of the people's faces are drawn very realistically (not the main characters) so I suspect many of them are based on real people… They're actualy drawn to look Japanese!!!!
The depeiction of how people act is refreshingly realistic too. The girl the kid likes says “fuck it” a lot and acts just like a punk band girl would, when someone gets beaten up they don't get magically saved at the last minute or develop superpowers, they just get beaten up…
And for a show about bands and music, the music is actually GOOD! Not J-pop shit. It could be music by REAL strugling indie bands.

The only bit I hate about the show is it goes in for relationship melodrama.

My new microphone worked GREAT for the Quackcast. Unfortunatly it was hot and I had my fan on the whole time which is ALL OVER the recording. I asked my fellow Quackcasters if they could hear it when we were recording and the said they couldn't… Damn…
The noise reduction function of Audacity gets rid of it but makes my voice sound more mechanical as a consequence. 1 set forward, one step back.

The Quackcast videos did NOT blody work, it stopped recording after less than a minute… This is three vids wasted now. UGH! These thngs can be worked out but it just takes so bloody long to do. Trial and error over a period of WEEKS and months is not workable.
last edited on Nov. 16, 2015 8:34AM
bravo1102 at 5:42AM, Nov. 17, 2015
(offline)
I introduced one of my friends to GTO (great teacher Onizuka ) and he's hooked. Have to find the live action series as he says it's really good. And here I am, a 12 hours shift my port-a-potty taken away and a probably broken foot. Got to love this stuff.
Lonnehart at 6:48AM, Nov. 17, 2015
(online)
Well, posted some of my game making activities on Facebook. And while at work I admired what I had done via a video on my tablet. However, one of my coworkers keeps telling me by using my creativity I am using company resources (that would be ME, the individual) to create a product and therefore I'm breaking some sort of company rule. But from what I read somewhere, I thought individuals CANNOT be treated as resources, and I'm not using any company knowledge to create any games either.

Is there any logic to the idea that the person as a whole is a company resource?
bravo1102 at 7:03AM, Nov. 17, 2015
(offline)
You're doing it on company time. You are being paid by your employer for your labor and ideally undivided attention to that labor. There are certain caveatsituations and exceptions die to the nature of your job. So at your supervisor 's discretion you could be occupying yourself doing other things so as long as you keep your main attention on your job.

For further elucidation on this topic consult an attorney.
Lonnehart at 7:46AM, Nov. 17, 2015
(online)
Actually I'm doing this when I'm not working. On my own spare time at home. Unless my time at home belongs to the company as well… I made the video to show off at work, but any game creation I do is always at home. Yet I'm apparently using company resources even though the skills I'm learning are not related to security work.
last edited on Nov. 17, 2015 7:47AM
bravo1102 at 8:05AM, Nov. 17, 2015
(offline)
No you are not unless you are using company materials to do your video. Like my using a company computer to type a script a ND company ink and paper to print it is using company resources. Otherwise under US labor law it is not. However if you are using company materials to show your video that is different. But if no expendable company goods are being used it is no big deal and this guy should turn his attention to more important matters.

Like it really matters in the grand scheme of things.
KimLuster at 10:20AM, Nov. 17, 2015
(online)
Considering how often I've had to work late at my company I consider their stuff mine! So I never do stuff on company equipment! ;)
Ozoneocean at 5:15PM, Nov. 17, 2015
(online)
Yeah Lonne, Like Kim and Bravo said you've NOTHING to worry about. Tell your co-worker to shove his fist up his arse to stop the stupid words blurting out, the man is obviously less than a moron.
Lonnehart at 6:07PM, Nov. 17, 2015
(online)
I personally want to see him fired. But he'd have to do something real dumb and the boss has to catch him in the act. That's becoming more likely over time, though. Not that it matters. I will most likely be moving to the mainland USA sometime next year at the request of my younger brothers. Probably won't stay there forever though…
Ozoneocean at 7:15PM, Nov. 17, 2015
(online)
As long as your boss captures him self fisting, that'll do it :D
kawaiidaigakusei at 7:21PM, Nov. 17, 2015
(online)
@Oz- Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. I have not thought about that for ages! My old anime club used to air the fansubs during its original run from 2004-05. I thought some of the songs were delightful with their heavy use of Engrish. "Fuuuuuull Mooooooon Swaaaaay…"

@Bravo- The live action GTO gets a little dark, like one of the teachers is a stalker who has an entire wall filled with pictures of the female teacher love interest of Onizuka.

__

I am starting to watch Inside Out. I will report back if Pixar decides to drown me in a puddle of my own tears for this film.

__

EDIT

Yup. Inside Out turned me into a blubbering mess. Thanks, once again, Pixar. Never fails to turn on the waterworks. This movie would have really applied to ten-year-old me when I moved from the Midwest to California and had to deal with all sorts of emotions.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Nov. 18, 2015 12:24AM
Ozoneocean at 8:16PM, Nov. 17, 2015
(online)
I'm loving the dubbed version! Surprisingly enough the english voice actors are good singers and the english versions of the songs are pretty good. You'd think that with translation and stuff they'd be shiz, but no :)
The relationship stuff is reaaaaalllly weaaring at times though. Faaaarrrk.
Well waddaya know? There's a live action version of Beck! Wow.

——–

Well now I know how to get barcodes put on products. Add that to the knowledge stores I have. Also, it seems to be one of those few cases where it's way cheaper to deal with a third party than the actual issuing regulatory body. Usually those middlemen crop up for everything in order to snatch businessfrom the main agency that isn't allowed to advertise (they're so clever that way), and they're shitty- all charging way too much money and locking people in to contracts and things, (visa facilitators, shipping expiditers, URL sellers and so on), but this seems to go the other way.
bravo1102 at 7:38AM, Nov. 18, 2015
(offline)
Anime tends to throw in stalkers a lot or at least certain characteristics for the behavior. They seem to have made it a comic trope or a phase people go through as opposed to some great dark psychosis . Speaking as someone who went through an obsessive phase I can see their point.
Ozoneocean at 8:06AM, Nov. 18, 2015
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:

I can see their point.
Through your 200x telephoto lens and 50 pinhole spycams cleverly secreted at all sorts of angles in every room of the house? :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon