Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2015 Rant/Share/General Discussion thread
Ozoneocean at 6:40AM, Dec. 9, 2015
(online)
@Genejoke and Bravo:
THIS:
http://m.videobash.com/video/show/id/2653541
The Key To Get Ahead In Life Mitchell And Webb (slightly less than 2 drinks).
The thing is, it's so true! So hard to maintain though.
tupapayon at 7:15AM, Dec. 9, 2015
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
@Genejoke and Bravo:
THIS:
http://m.videobash.com/video/show/id/2653541
The Key To Get Ahead In Life Mitchell And Webb (slightly less than 2 drinks).
The thing is, it's so true! So hard to maintain though.
You would need constant supervision from a third party. This also reminds me:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asySRpuqnTM
I heard somewhere that the characers on “It's Alway Sunny in Philadelphia” are drunk, and everything is according to their perspective…
bravo1102 at 8:18AM, Dec. 9, 2015
(offline)
Of course all indications are that a couple of prozac and some antihistamines have a similar effect to the one and not quite two drinks.
Ozoneocean at 6:36PM, Dec. 9, 2015
(online)
@tupapayon - that looks like a fun movie. Ah movie reality is so much better than the real works :D

@Bravo- ew… Leave that stuff for the alcoholics.

Hey, you know what? Since now we have a skilled, trustworthy programmer for good rates, that means…
We can come up with a bunch of stuff we want fixed, ask him for a quote, then make a kickstarter to pay for it since we'll KNOW how much money we need.
Or Indegogo, or something else. The thing is, knowing what things cost can actually help us move ahead with that!

Initially I only had Alexey fix up the most primary issues, nothing fancy like regular users would prefer. It was basic stability and performance stuff, along with the registration and password recovery systems. The site is nothing if new users can't join easily, old users can't sign back in, while everything crashes or takes 5 mto 10 minutes to load. Counters and removing this sucky java edit stuff from the forums is for next time.

Our ads paid a small amount of the fee, the newspost on Saturday paid more of it, and a freelance graphic design job I'm doing will pay for the rest. That's not the best way to come up with money for fixes though obviously so a kickstarter would be way better.
Gunwallace at 11:22PM, Dec. 9, 2015
(offline)
Thanks to YouTube I finally watched the Star Wars Christmas TV Special, which was terrible, but that lead me to ‘Heil Honey, I’m Home', a series cancelled after one episode. It's an English take on the standard U.S. sitcom with Lucy and Desi (or Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore) replaced by Adolf and Eva. One of the oddest half-hours of television ever made, and well worth a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9jJx0NSjw
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
bravo1102 at 12:10AM, Dec. 10, 2015
(offline)
Definitely inspired by Springtime for Hitler from Mel Brooks' The Producers. A stand alone or a sketch is one thing But a whole series would have really stretched the concept too far. You might also want to see To Be or Not Be (1943) and Mel Brooks 1980's remake which in my opinion is the better film.
Ironscarf at 3:41AM, Dec. 10, 2015
(offline)
I'd forgotten about Heil Honey I'm Home. I think they were trying to spoof American sitcoms and at the same time make it hugely ironic, but American sitcoms are not about irony. It was on some satellite channel, not much watched back then in the UK, which is why it slipped through the net, at least for one episode. For the actual British take on the war, you have to go with Dad's Army or ‘Allo ’Allo!

I should've bought that copy of Nancy 3.99. I'll never make a businessman.
bravo1102 at 4:15AM, Dec. 10, 2015
(offline)
The irony worked for me as well as the broad parody of American sitcom tropes. An American comic look see Hogan's Heroes. The recent German redub is also notable for the ironic changes made to make the Nazis even more ridiculous.
Ozoneocean at 8:55PM, Dec. 10, 2015
(online)
I don't know if we talked about it here or not, but Pit, Tantz and I were talking Hogan's Heros one day and looked up the cast: Almost all the Germans were played by real Germans, and not just Germans but German Jews who had either been war heros or escaped from Europe…
Pretty effin' awesome trivia that.
And you get that wankish joke about “loveable Nazis” in the Simpsons leveled at the show about their problematic overy friendly portrayel of Nazis -when in REALITY those guys had more right than anyone on the planet to portray Nazis any damn way they pleased.
Even one or two of Hogan's Crew were real heros… poor LeBeau was really French too, a Jew who lost his family in the camps and had been there himself.
bravo1102 at 4:10AM, Dec. 11, 2015
(offline)
In fact I read Werner Klemperer (Klink ) insisted that the Germans were never to win in any episode. He was the son of a well known conductor who was forced to flee Germany. Klemperer himself was a concert violinist. Pictures of him and his father are among those who have worked with the Metropolitan Opera in NYC when I took my backstage tour.
Genejoke at 2:53PM, Dec. 11, 2015
(online)
Never heard of that show… guess i didn't miss a lot.
Full of a cold at the moment. the kind that makes your face stream snot. messy and annoying but not making me feel all that bad.
I've finished five comic pages today, hows that for constructive? Being 3D it's not so bad, that hard work on these pages was done a while ago, I just needed to do the renders, put pages together and letter them. Tomorrow I'm back to set building, but nothing to difficult, i'm coming to the end of a long story and have a boost of creativity as the end is in sight. It's a good feeling.
tupapayon at 5:12PM, Dec. 11, 2015
(online)
I've been starting to have eye problems. I went to an eye doctor, we took a look at my eyes, and we know what the problem is… though I'll probably get some treatment, I don't expect to go blind any time soon… but it's still kinda scary… I still can read comics, posts, videos…
Genejoke at 8:58PM, Dec. 11, 2015
(online)
At least you can do the important stuff.
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:34PM, Dec. 11, 2015
(online)
A little update on life-

The pupil that I began tutoring in early October turned out to be one of the coolest kids on the planet and it has been a great joy in my daily schedule. It turns out that kids today learn a lot of their pop culture references from youtube, enjoy games like Minecraft, and catch onto concepts pretty quickly. This week was a special week because my pupil was elected as Star of the Week by her teacher and peers. The teacher even made a positive phone call home praising her progress in school assignments. She is a very bright kid and I hope our daily tutor sessions have a positive impact on her study habits.

I have been juggling time management over the last two weeks with six day work weeks in addition to Drunk Duck duties and other obligations. Friday is my one day off, and even then, I still had to run errands all morning. I made up for it by sleeping all afternoon. I stopped by the market and bought ingredients for four mason jar salads and brewed enough tea for the next two days. I am lucky because I get to start Winter break one week early, so I get the next three weeks of work off save for the weekends.

My substitute teaching permit was officially granted last week! I just need to submit a few more applications and I will hopefully be able to start working in the school districts in January.

One part of my new job that I really enjoy is that I get to tell a large group of guys what to do and since they are all so disciplined and used to following directions, they actually listen to what I say. It is surprising because it is much more easier than dealing with elementary aged children. I am trying to find the right balance between yelling out orders and using a friendly demeanor for simple requests. I have noticed that it is good to be cordial, but everything is less effective if I am too nice. Some men just want to be bossed around by a woman in heels. I need to get accustomed to the “Yes, ma'am” response.

In other news, my three new pairs of Mid Century inspired cat eye style glasses arrived in the mail last week. They look very retro and are a striking addition to my wardrobe.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
tupapayon at 2:51PM, Dec. 12, 2015
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
A little update on life-
Some men just want to be bossed around by a woman in heels. I need to get accustomed to the “Yes, ma'am” response.
OK, as long as you're wearing some leather… and don't abuse your power (maybe a little)… remember, with great power, blah, blah, blah…
bravo1102 at 4:55PM, Dec. 12, 2015
(offline)
There's something nice about being bossed by a lady in heels after being barked at by guys in combat boots all day.
HippieVan at 8:28PM, Dec. 12, 2015
(online)
I love having friends with different interests than me, but it's nice having friends who love all the same things that you do as well. I'm good friends with a girl who's also a history student and who tends to get a kick out of the same weird historical things as I do, so we send each other odd things that we find in our research all the time. It's nice because most people don't find creepy Victorian drawings of lemurs as amusing as I do. Anyways, we just discovered that sexy historical fanfics are a thing. This one is my favourite. I was honestly killing myself laughing when I found it.

It annoys me when people I don't know add me on Facebook. Occasionally a friend of a friend at my university will send me a friend request, and I'll usually accept. But if they don't message me within a month or so to introduce themselves I usually delete them again. What's the point of adding someone who you have no intention of communicating with?
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 10:03PM, Dec. 12, 2015
(online)
Teaching must be fun. I know it requires a LOT of patience sometimes. Teaching my youngest brother to prepare him for school and later my eldest niece wasn't easy… But the rewards can be gratifying knowing you did a great job.

Still stuck on powered battlesuit design. I was looking up examples online, but way too many are too skimpy (something you do NOT wear in space), some look more like form fitting latex, and still others are actually Power Suits (they're not worn, but piloted complete with controls and seat). A few good examples of a powersuit would be Master Chief from Halo and that powered suit from the Fallout series, but I'd like to create a suit that looks like it can be flown in space yet not look bulky with too many bits sticking out of it (except maybe the jetpack).

And now it's time to go to work… X_X
Genejoke at 3:14AM, Dec. 13, 2015
(online)
HippieVan wrote:

It annoys me when people I don't know add me on Facebook. Occasionally a friend of a friend at my university will send me a friend request, and I'll usually accept. But if they don't message me within a month or so to introduce themselves I usually delete them again. What's the point of adding someone who you have no intention of communicating with?
I rarely accept unknown friends requests, but I have a few which added me through groups and have become quite friendly with them. The ones I definitely avoid are the gorgeous “models” who are… whatever… clearly fake profiles that will likely lead to hacking.
My creative streak continued. I did the sets and renders for a further five pages of Lore. I'll take a day or two off then letter them. I also have all the sets built for the remainder of the chapter, which means I will finish making it by the Christmas. I'm going to make the most of the buffer though, no rushing to post the pages like I usually do. I'm really looking forward to making the next chapter of it too, I have the bug again. And in the new year BASO will return from its six month hiatus.
Also I'm looking to do another comic jam for we are the duck, but I think rather than post pages as it is made I will try and finish it before posting anything. Perhaps using Dropbox to manage pages. I also want to do something very different from the super hero like antics of the last one.
If anyone has experience of doing comic jams can you give some input or suggestions on how best to organise it?
last edited on Dec. 13, 2015 7:09AM
bravo1102 at 8:45AM, Dec. 13, 2015
(offline)
When someone I don't know adds me as a friend on Facebook I usually discover that even though I don't know them, they know me. It's like “oh that's the funny guy from the Long Island show that was hanging out with Georg!”

And I'm like “you remembered me?”

In high school there was this girl at a party who admitted to having a crush on me. And I said “Who are you?” She ran out of the room and I never saw her again. I'm not doing anything like that again. Then thre was the email from the hawt exotic dancer who said she knew me in High School. I thought it was a fake come-on until I looked her up in the yearbook and there she was. Strange things do happen.

But Stalin and Trotsky getting it on? That's nearly as bad as what I wrote to someone's story seed “Stalin and dragons” It's a fun exercise.
BearinOz at 5:46PM, Dec. 13, 2015
(online)
Hi….I haven't looked at the forums for SO long….. partly because I kinda didn't feel like I belonged any more. After Duckie's last re-incarnation, I never got my readers back .A couple of my comics had gonre into a coma, but I was still updated 2, then 1, then I stopped altogether. I have amobile modem and I think it has a: developed AI and b: hates me, so even things like the quackcast are not prt of my life in ages, ‘cause it’ll only drop out on me.
I (re)started my (L,N,S) comic “Butterfly Effect”and had even been outting it up daily for a few months, untilk Dec 3…but now putting more up . Anyway, it's still ages behinf its ‘incarnation’ on Fury, where I DO have ahndful of readers. I still avidly read Simply Sarah on here, os that kind of makes me load afew pages each week, after I read that.
O.K. this is getting a bit long ( and I disloacted my shoulder the other day,so typing's a bit difficult ) , best wishes to all the ‘faces’ I remember, for XMAS and for 2016 !!!
- Bear
BearinOz at 5:51PM, Dec. 13, 2015
(online)
BearinOz wrote:
Hi….I haven't looked at the forums for SO long
Haha - I used brackets (i.e. ‘square’ ones, not parenthesis) so it missed out me saying how DISAPPOINTED I was that tardy old DUckie does NOT yet have 2016 availablke in the date options,as I was goingh to puta bunch January opages up. Oh well…. B-)
p.s. sorry about the typos!
Genejoke at 6:10PM, Dec. 13, 2015
(online)
Welcome back from the fury. Funny I never really got readers there, well a handful butility nothing to write home about. I avoid that site these days, I don't even read any comics there.
Ozoneocean at 6:28PM, Dec. 13, 2015
(online)
Always good when people return to updating! :)
The site is running WAY better now than it has been in a couple of years so maybe things will run a bit better for you BearinOz, even with your evil modem? :)

—————-

If atractive models add me on FB I do a google search on their pic to see who they really are then I report their profile to Facebook as a fake account. Then I block them.
I don't think those fake accounts will be used for hacking. I think the purpose of most of them is just to make a zombie account that looks real because it has friends who are real. That way when someone pays for “likes” on their page using one of those crappy services, zombies like that are used for it and Facebook's auto checks can't tell they're fakes.
Also, the same people employed by FB as lowley checkers of this sort of thing are probably also lowley spammers and FB zombies on the side anyway.

Accounts used for spam and hacking are made to look like real accounts, not models (because they're not just out to build up passive “friends”). Most usually hacking accounts are just a clone of someone on your friend's list, so they don't have to do as much work to win your trust.
And spammers are often hacked accounts.

The most inept spammers are the south east Asian spammers. They have NO idea what they're doing. They often use their OWN private accounts and just change their photo to a caucasian woman, while they still have their name in their own lanaguage and their male gender clearly marked on their account.

THEN they'll join about 200 Facebook groups in ALPHABETICAL ORDER! These tits just go through a list and add all the “B” groups, then the “C” groups and so on. You can see all the activity right there in their stupid profiles.
When I see this type of idiot trying to joing one of my groups I do the old report-ban-block routine on them. You NEVER just auto-add anyone who wants to join a group these days.
bravo1102 at 11:48PM, Dec. 13, 2015
(offline)
And that is why I don't have a Facebook group.

Guess I am lucky though I keep getting real people I had forgotten about rather than spammers.
tupapayon at 7:14AM, Dec. 14, 2015
(online)
I remember the good old days when friends were real people… I find it funny that a few of my friends have befriended this fake people… I don't know wether they just accept all friends request without looking, or they just saw that the girl was cute…
Ironscarf at 8:48AM, Dec. 14, 2015
(offline)
I only get facebook friend requests from people I know. Where am I going wrong?
HippieVan at 9:58AM, Dec. 14, 2015
(online)
I'm not referring so much to spammers (although I do get the occasional Nigerian/Indian guy, no idea what those are about) as I am actual friends of friends or fellow university students who I've never met before.

Ironscarf, I think it might be a university thing. We're all told all the time about how important ‘networking’ is, and I'm involved in a fair number of university activities so I imagine that's why I get those kinds of requests. But I don't really think it counts as networking when you never talk to the person.

MS Word is annoying me. I have it set to French (Canada) but it keeps insisting that I need a space before question marks, which is incorrect in Canadian French. I have to submit this assignment electronically so it's going to be full of little blue squiggles.

Also, I've been switching between 3-4 different keyboard languages and I keep forgetting which one I'm using.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ironscarf at 10:46AM, Dec. 14, 2015
(offline)
That would explain it. It's so long since I went to uni, half of them must be dead by now and the other half would have no use for a total loser. He draws what??!
tupapayon at 6:45PM, Dec. 14, 2015
(online)
Networking is important… but everybody, at one point or another, will receive those ‘friend’ request from people who are not really your friends… and if you're a girl, a lot of guys will feel compelled to be your “friends”… especially if you're cute… gotta check the pics threads… anyways, even if you don't think you're that pretty, it's a natural male impulse to get closer to females… even if it's only FB…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon