Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2016 Rant/Share/General Discussion Thread
Ozoneocean at 2:06AM, Feb. 1, 2016
(online)
You can see the curvature of the earth from the ground- anywhere that has a clear, flat horizon. Rivers, lakes, deserts and the ocean are best. No need for aeroplanes.

Obviously tall buildings and mountains make is easier but you don't need math to prove a round earth: it can be seen just as easily now as when prehistoric people first worked it out.
You can keep walking to a “new” horizon line each time and big things can be seen to reduce in size as they go over the horizon and get lower on the curve than you.

I'm guessing some of these people's problem is that they live in places with a lot of atmospheric moisture, or smog or, they have bad eyesight so can't see as far as the horizon.
bravo1102 at 4:23AM, Feb. 1, 2016
(offline)
A modern flat earther would reply that earth is curved, but it is not a sphere. As I said in an earlier post, it is a hemisphere like a bowl with a slight curve but not a sphere. It is a firmament fixed in space with the heavens rotating above it with the Stars as points of light about the size of a basketball. And the moon shines of its own light. Or so one school contends. But all agree that the surface is rounded so that there is the illusion of a rounded horizon.

Since it is a bowl there could be an under side with the reverse curve.
last edited on Feb. 1, 2016 4:27AM
Ozoneocean at 4:41AM, Feb. 1, 2016
(online)
That doesn't work as a counter-explantion though because of the rim of the bowl, just like with the edge of any flat earth system. You don't even have to get near the edge for it not to work- the edge would still be visible from miles and miles away and would create effects in the atomosphere, the clouds, the sea, even the sun and the moon as you look THROUGH the atmosphere at them, that would be visible for hundreds of miles further.

It's like you said before- the flat systems involve massive complexity to make them work and explain them, unlike a spherical earth, which is why it's pretty hard to find people in the past who beleived in a flat earth.
bravo1102 at 5:16AM, Feb. 1, 2016
(offline)
All you need is the shadow of the Earth on the moon during an eclipse. Even the Sumerians understood that 6000 years ago before the young earth Creationists have the world even being created. ;-D
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:19AM, Feb. 1, 2016
(online)
Yesterday was an unusually windy day and while I was leaving work, I know I had a few folded bills in my pocket. There were at least five fives and a twenty dollar bill. When I got back to my car, I checked my pockets and two fives and the twenty were missing. I wanted to throw up. The wind had taken my cash away, which is the same thing that happens when I buy things on impulse.

So I brushed it off, drove home and told myself that money will come back to me in some other way, shape, or form. Then around midnight, a substitute job opened at my former high school and I am now able to earn back the money I lost. It still sucks, though. Thirty dollars is enough to fill my car up with gas for a week.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Feb. 1, 2016 10:20AM
Lonnehart at 2:26PM, Feb. 1, 2016
(online)
Money disappears like that. You never know where it goes. Some people's money tends to hide in a bank for fear of being spent…

I wonder what would happen if I created the Fat Earth Society if only to poke fun at the Flat Earth Society… Then again, such an orgnaization would offend a LOT of people. Come to think of it, there's nothing you can do nowadays without offending some group. Such as making a cute cat video or unboxing a game console. Some group out there will have some strange reason why they're highly offended by such acts, and they'll demand that the offender be burnt at the stake…

Welcome to a world populated by the Internet…
tupapayon at 3:15PM, Feb. 1, 2016
(online)
Common sense is overrated…
==

bravo1102 at 1:04AM, Feb. 2, 2016
(offline)
Well that would explain why a lot of Australia is desert. The thing is common sense is anything but common. Instead develop critical thinking and problem solving skills and you will be far better served. You see through critical thinking you will understand the counter intuitive stuff that stymies typical “common sense”
Genejoke at 10:24AM, Feb. 2, 2016
(online)
Well said bravo.

So…

Formatting should be better.
I'm just playing here. Bear with me.
Genejoke at 10:26AM, Feb. 2, 2016
(online)
Could it be???

Could it be what?
Could it have worked?

Looks like it.
HippieVan at 11:21AM, Feb. 2, 2016
(online)
tupapayon wrote:
Common sense is overrated…
==

This reminds me of having to explain to a girl in high school why a boat could sail around the world without falling into space. She didn't understand, looking at the world as a sphere (and evidently misunderstanding gravity), why the boat wouldn't fall off at some point.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Banes at 2:59PM, Feb. 2, 2016
(offline)
Wait…so ozoneocean's claims that he has to crawl along the ceiling and then seatbelt himself into his living room chair are not true??

HippieVan at 3:47PM, Feb. 2, 2016
(online)
Banes wrote:
Wait…so ozoneocean's claims that he has to crawl along the ceiling and then seatbelt himself into his living room chair are not true??

No it is true, but it's because ozone's body is 70% helium instead of 70% water like the rest of us.
Ozoneocean at 3:52PM, Feb. 2, 2016
(online)
And 20% farts. The last 10% is undetermined.
kawaiidaigakusei at 7:35PM, Feb. 2, 2016
(online)
Honestly, I can not wait to test out the new coding fix where we do not need to work around paragraph line breaks in the forums. Thank YOU, Oz, for making that a priority fix, and Thank You Alexey (wherever you are) for making it happen!

Today I was a substitute teacher for a sixth grade Language Arts and Social Studies class at a middle school and a little boy made my day. You know those little kids with glasses that are too large for their face and a floppy, mushroom haircut? Well this student walks up to me and says, “Hello. You look REALLY nice!” And he kept saying that I looked like a nice teacher. This confirms that I have finally arrived. I am at an age where I am taken seriously by adults, they treat me like their equal and invite me to hangout. On the flipside, I am still seen as “cool” and “in the know” with the younger crowd because I still know what it is like to see the world through a young person's eyes. I also treat younger children with respect because everyone deserves to be treated with dignity. Today was amazing, and I have been substitute teaching for the last three days and it gets better each day!

Last Sunday, I was very upset about the wind blowing the money out of my pocket. However the following morning, I saw that several trees had been uprooted, it was hailing, and a few news stories were about trees that had collapsed on houses and one tree fell and killed a woman driving a car. Losing a life made losing money seem very insignificant. Anyway, I believe the wind has turned in my favor because when I arrived home that night, I had a job waiting for me this next day.

This is my schedule this week:

Monday: Substitute Special Ed (7:00 AM-2:20 PM), Tutor (3:25 PM- 6:00 PM)
Tuesday: Substitute Sixth Grade (7:00 AM-2:20 PM), Tutor (3:25 PM-6:00 PM)
Wednesday: Substitute Elementary School (8:15 AM-12:15 PM), Tutor (1:00 PM-4:00 PM), Babysit (4:00 PM - ?)
Thursday: Substitute Middle School Math (7:00 AM-2:20 PM), Tutor (3:25 PM-6:00 PM)
Friday through Sunday: LAS VEGAS!!!!

So, yes, I believe I have definitely earned the thirty dollars that the wind took back already. Life has been surreal lately, I think I have worked nonstop without any breaks for the last twenty one days. I even checked my calendar last month and it looked like I only had one day that I did not even need to do anything (but I probably had to do something that day anyway). I can not complain, I have three paying jobs, I enjoy each and every one of them. I like working with the students, I enjoy my coworkers and my bosses, and I feel appreciated and treated with respect from my peers and higher ups. Life could be way worse, and I know it. I just need to remember to breathe, eat, and sleep at least eight hours each night.

I am starting to understand the importance of a healthy work life balance and the secret of doing what I love so it does not feel like work at all.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Feb. 2, 2016 7:36PM
Niccea at 6:27AM, Feb. 3, 2016
(offline)
It has been a hell of a week for me. On Monday, I saw the managers all in a meeting with the head of HR, and I thought, ‘That can’t be good.' And then everyone on my campaign was scheduled for a meeting. ‘Worse.’ Let me add that my husband works at the same place and at the same campaign with me. They laid off about 75% of the campaign. My husband was spared.

But, since I'm a trainer, I am therefore in a different department and couldn't go the meetings the others went to. The operations manager wouldn't tell me anything. He said I had to speak to my manager first (she is in a different state.) My manager said she wouldn't tell us anything until Tuesday. You can imagine how Monday night was for me.

I had my meeting yesterday and it turns out that my manager is leaving and a new one would be taking her place. Because of this, everyone that is under her would be maintaining status quo until the new manager takes over.

So, I have now survived one of the most stressful 2 days of my life. Woo-hoo!
Ozoneocean at 7:04AM, Feb. 3, 2016
(online)
@Kawaii, I would be dead of busyness! Damn! I hope you're earning a lot for all that work :D

GOD I LOVE THAT THE BROWSER SPELLCHECKER WORKS NOW!
But I still automatically go to insert a space in every blank line break…

@Niccea- What kind of campaign is that?

————-

Check your stats people! You can DO that shit now. First time since 2010 baby.
Genejoke at 2:01PM, Feb. 3, 2016
(online)
Has the auto resizing function been removed? I had to shrink the images myself before uploading.
Ozoneocean at 5:10PM, Feb. 3, 2016
(online)
You can't upload files over 1 meg- I think that code was always there but had been disabled by a bug. Since the site has had many of the bugs fixed that code has started working again. There should be a note of it on the page.

I think that with it in operation in lowers our hosting costs and also reduces the load on the server because it's not constantly doing image processing tasks. I'll try and get text put up about it.
HippieVan at 9:36PM, Feb. 3, 2016
(online)
Oh man, I am having a super shitty week. I accidentally mentioned to my mom that we (my dad and little sister and I) are going on a big trip this summer, forgetting we hadn't told her about it yet. I instantly knew I had made a huge mistake, and it has brought on a whole wave of crazy. First I got an email from her demanding to know why I haven't been out to visit her, and then she texted me to tell me that a guy she used to work with has died (quite young) and that she might only have a few years left (she's only in her fifties). I ignored the email and just sent my condolences about her coworker, but I'm feeling pretty anxious about the whole thing.

I'm trying to keep my mind on school instead - stayed up late last night finishing a reading for a tutorial (one-on-one) course that I had today and then woke up early to get there for it. Arrived and the prof wasn't in his office…turned out he had forgotten about me. :/ And I've also got another prof who asked for some advice for one of his classes and then hasn't responded to the email that I spent quite a bit of time working on. I know he's very busy so I shouldn't feel too bad about it, buuuut I do.

I'm also feeling generally crappy about graduating right now. For the most part I've been excited to move away and do new things and everything, but as it's actually approaching I'm just not feeling ready to move on yet.

BUT! I'm very happy that PQs are working again. I often feel bad for not getting to them very quickly because I forget to check my inbox, so it'll be neat to be more on top of that.
irrevenant at 10:17PM, Feb. 3, 2016
(online)
I think I already posted this somewhere else, but if there's a filesize cap can we look at removing the picture-width cap of 950 pixels? It's getting a bit silly when both monitors and even smartphones have much higher widths than that.

I figure it probably has something to do with inflexible page HTML, so I understand if it's not a quick fix but it really would be very handy. Heroes Alliance typically fits within the limit okay, but there are times when it would be cool to have a double-page spread.

Random aside: I wonder if autosizing the picture depending on platform would be a good idea or not.

Random aside 2: Is proper support for mobile devices on the wishlist somewhere?

Thanks.

EDIT: PS. OMG, lookit all the perfect line breaks!^_^
ozoneocean wrote:
You can't upload files over 1 meg- I think that code was always there but had been disabled by a bug. Since the site has had many of the bugs fixed that code has started working again. There should be a note of it on the page.

I think that with it in operation in lowers our hosting costs and also reduces the load on the server because it's not constantly doing image processing tasks. I'll try and get text put up about it.
last edited on Feb. 3, 2016 10:19PM
bravo1102 at 1:55AM, Feb. 4, 2016
(offline)
Please have compassion for the great unwashed who don't have great pixel width and have to scroll all over to get the image width we have now.

Personally I would rather see the detail than the epic span of double page spreads. Besides any text is often so small one has to zoom in thereby losing whatever panoramic view there was anyway. Maybe I am a special case with my ancient eyes and reading glasses.

I already resize all my pages for viewing following wonderful advice found on DD hints and tips.
Niccea at 6:16AM, Feb. 4, 2016
(offline)
Sorry for the jargon earlier. Our campaign is selling health insurance for Kaiser Permanente.
Genejoke at 8:26AM, Feb. 4, 2016
(online)
Are there email notifications with pqs or is that a possible addition?
Ozoneocean at 8:49AM, Feb. 4, 2016
(online)
@Irevenant- I will look into larger pages. It would be good to have the option of doing something bigger occasionally.
Mobile support is something I would love simply because it would help us with our Google rank. I hate mobile versions of websites, especially when you're forced into them and they have half the functionality of the real version, but that doesn't help us if no one comes to the site because Google downranks us :(
It will be one of those things on the wish list after easier stuff is tackled.

@Genejoke- yes. Email alerts And alert boxes in your browser. Both of which will be able to be switched on or off. Alerts will be on by default, emails off by default.
And in future you'll be able to get some sort of alerts for comments and for threads in the forums that you follow.
Call Me Tom at 11:15AM, Feb. 4, 2016
(offline)
I started inking the latest page in my comic only to look at it and relise that it didn't work, time to start all over again. (Deep Sigh)
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
HippieVan at 1:32PM, Feb. 4, 2016
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
@Irevenant- I will look into larger pages. It would be good to have the option of doing something bigger occasionally.
Mobile support is something I would love simply because it would help us with our Google rank. I hate mobile versions of websites, especially when you're forced into them and they have half the functionality of the real version, but that doesn't help us if no one comes to the site because Google downranks us :(
It will be one of those things on the wish list after easier stuff is tackled.

@Genejoke- yes. Email alerts And alert boxes in your browser. Both of which will be able to be switched on or off. Alerts will be on by default, emails off by default.
And in future you'll be able to get some sort of alerts for comments and for threads in the forums that you follow.

If we have a mobile version, I demand that it have a button for switching to the desktop version. ;) (No, really though.)

I also just heard from another user that they're having trouble keeping pages under 1mb. Might not be a bad idea to make that allowance a little higher.
bravo1102 at 2:51PM, Feb. 4, 2016
(offline)
But there are so many ways to compress an image page so that it's under 1 MB. This is for on-screen viewing. You want higher resolution have another version someplace else but if I'm reading pages I don't want one page stopping my computer dead because it's so HUGE. My computer is less than a year old and my wi-fi is way up there, but I've had pages stopped dead because someone didn't know how or couldn't bring themselves to compress an image file.

Just for comparison my panels are usually 40-120 MB EACH with all their layers. I average 4 to 6 panels per page. But the completed pages for uploading are generally under 400 KB to keep them a reasonable size.
HippieVan at 3:25PM, Feb. 4, 2016
(online)
@bravo: I just had a look at my own comic pages and none are over 1 MB, so I suppose I agree with you. But I also don't want to make the site more difficult for creators to use.
Genejoke at 4:28PM, Feb. 4, 2016
(online)
Well the automatic compression did take care of that, but like bravo said there are ways to compress files. It's not a big deal, I'd just gotten used to uploading them at the size I make them.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon