Discussion about Mafia
Salsa at 8:14AM, July 1, 2009
(offline)
You're right. That is insane.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
Aghammer at 8:26AM, July 1, 2009
(offline)
I was thinking about a game where the roles are split up in such a way there every townie has some ability (limited or one-time use or whatever) so that everyone would have more fun with he game. Although, this would also be a pain for the gm :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
waff at 8:54AM, July 1, 2009
(online)
Aghammer
I was thinking about a game where the roles are split up in such a way there every townie has some ability (limited or one-time use or whatever) so that everyone would have more fun with he game. Although, this would also be a pain for the gm :)
I support this.
*pulls out a white board and starts scribbleing on it* I'm here to show you people, for your deliberation, some new roles that could be used.
Townies: little girl: no abilities until she (or he) dies (by night hit) at which point the killers name is yelled out and made public.
mafia: story teller:can plant red herrings pointing to someone in one of the night narratives.
3rd party: Implacable man: only serial but can't be killed or lynched until either the townie or mafia goal is completed or they complete the 1st part of their goal by killing the target the gm has chosen for them (the I,M is given a clue pointing to thier target (if the target is killed and not by the I,M , the I,M is given a new target and fresh clues) and gets another clue for each non-target kill) who my or may not know who he or she is. they can also kill once per night.
*what has been scribbled on the white board has nothing to do with what was just said*.

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:44PM
Niccea at 12:10PM, July 1, 2009
(offline)
I do not know about the storyteller role. I was always allowed to plant red herrings and always allowed for it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
Niccea at 4:37PM, July 1, 2009
(offline)
Also, with this game, the inactivity rule should really be enforced. A war of attrition is not fun.
Product Placement at 8:40PM, July 1, 2009
(online)
What counts as inactivity? If the person is actively posting but doesn't use his day or night actions (voting or killing) does he violate the inactivity rule?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
Salsa at 8:46PM, July 1, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
What counts as inactivity? If the person is actively posting but doesn't use his day or night actions (voting or killing) does he violate the inactivity rule?
if the person has not posted on the thread or pq'd the GM in two days, then that should count as inactivity.
RAGE!
Hakoshen at 10:05PM, July 1, 2009
(offline)
Salsa
Product Placement
if the person has not posted on the thread or pq'd the GM in two days, then that should count as inactivity.

Agreed. Unless they specifically say something beforehand.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Niccea at 6:32AM, July 2, 2009
(offline)
Oui. I gave a three day limit, but two will be ok.
Salsa at 8:15AM, July 2, 2009
(offline)
since it looks like the current game is coming to a climax, was wondering if anyone saw anything that caused one side to become to powerful in my idea.
RAGE!
Niccea at 9:02PM, July 2, 2009
(offline)
So what do we think of the inactivity penalty. I understand no mafia hits on the first night, but really. Waiting the whole bloody game is not strategy. I think that it shouldn't be limited to posting/voting, it should be with night actions too.

Cause let me tell you, if the god father hasn't been posting/voting, he should be gone by now.

It is either make an inactivity penalty or really allow for no lynches. We haven't had a game that allowed for that. The closest was in one of my games where I said, to maintain an active status, people could vote not to vote, but that doesn't mean that no lynch will be made.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 2:05AM, July 4, 2009
(online)
I think the mafia might be a little underpowered. Just a tad. I mean once we stop voting townies into office the mafia's power drasticly decreased. I know I wouldn't want to be mafia now.

I agree to the inactivity penalty. Just not this game…next game >.> .>

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
Niccea at 9:02AM, July 4, 2009
(offline)
Usually there is no call for the penalty. But I used it in both of my games (not like I needed to in VII) and Crocty used it.
Product Placement at 4:57PM, July 4, 2009
(online)
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
I think the mafia might be a little underpowered. Just a tad. I mean once we stop voting townies into office the mafia's power drasticly decreased. I know I wouldn't want to be mafia now.
It's not like we changed the rules. We've just become slightly more wiser about the standard mafia strategy. Comes with playing the game enough times. The mafia was consistently mopping the floor with the townies, several games in a row because they managed to get their members into office. It's easy for the mafia to win if they get handed a map labeled “weak spots of the town” and get charged with organizing the security of the town.

Banning townies from running is a player rule not an official rule. The mafia can still attempt to weasel their way in by choosing to ignore it. Many townies run every game despite this community rule.

I don't think the mafia is underpowered. If they were they wouldn't be winning the game that you're running right now.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
kitty17 at 5:12PM, July 4, 2009
(offline)
I'm not for this inactivity penalty, especially since you're blaming this on the mafia from TFGM's game. We waited because we were being smart and it's not like we didn't do anything every night. Gullas killed the first two nights. I planted a bomb when no one attacked and the serial killer attacked those nights as well. Then we went full force and killed more.

Technically something happened every night. You know what came out of waiting? I managed to figure out everyone's role without Niccea having to tell me. I picked them out because I watched everyone closely, narrowing it down based on who you were all claiming as suspects. It's the best darn strategy we could think of when it's 4 Mafia against 20 something people. You know how difficult the chances of winning are at the point the player count goes over 20? Then when the serial killer decides to take the townies side as the second vigilante, all we could think was “Well we're pretty much screwed now.”

At this point the townies are way over powered. Paranoid, vigilante, serial killer and lynching. That's more than the mafia can do. Adding the inactivity penalty just because they don't attack a couple of nights is just down right unfair.

Oh! And another thing. When a GM changes a rule on you even after you asked TWICE, it'd be nice to let people know.

K.A.L.A.-dan! Moe Maid ;3
Pastel and Kitty :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Product Placement at 5:34PM, July 4, 2009
(online)
I'd say that it's possible to circumvent the inactivity rule by posting on the game. That way you demonstrate that you're still in the game, even though you're not particularly active. The whole “no killings during a night” has been done before. Crocty and his agents did it during the first night of the reverse mafia game. It sure did wonders with to the paranoia in the town and they proved victorious in the long run.

But I agree. It is a boring strategy to watch.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Salsa at 5:47PM, July 4, 2009
(offline)
I agree with TGFM and Kitty. The mafia have it rough. unless they can get one of their own into office, the game pretty much goes down the tube. I think that not attack is a valid strategy and that forcing the mafia to attack basically cuts out their legs. that's the reason I said that an inactive is someone who doesn't vote OR post in the forum. I also think that the standard mafia game formula is a little predictable. Sure I said that the tenth game should be an unthemed game. It's good to return to your roots, but I think that giving some ideas that seemed a little over powered a shot is also a good idea. Look at my idea for a themed game. I effectively have 10 kill roles and the godfather can kill someone without blowing his or her cover (admittedly they can only do it twice and it can be countered) I also have the lynch switch with the limitations of you can only use it on the mayor and pardoner after the bodyguards are dead. and you can only use it once and on one person. you also can't use it on an insta-lynch. I've only received one response for all these ideas and it was that the lynch switch was too powerful. It may be, but how will we know if it is never tried?
RAGE!
Product Placement at 12:05AM, July 5, 2009
(online)
The problem with granting too many kill roles is that the game becomes far too short in addition to becoming to difficult for the town to win.

With an increased number of kill roles the town is faiced with:
a)Needing to lynch a larger number, requiring more days to do so.
b)Loosing more people on their side per night.
c)Requiring more people to outnumber the mafia (if we're playing the “mafia wins as soon as they outnumber townies” rule)

An early complaint in the game was that it was too hard for the mafia to win. That was fixed by increasing their number. In the end we had 6 kill roles, the game was over in 3 days and it was a devastating defeat for the town.

Last game (the dino game)may have looked unbalanced because it was such a one sided victory for the town but there were many factors that played in there. It featured a higly organized town vs inexperienced mafia players and lots of luck on the towns side.

Don't forget that the current game looks like it will end with a mafia victory.

P.S. I'm actually exited to try out the monster mash concept.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 3:33AM, July 5, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
I'm actually exited to try out the monster mash concept.

You leave my monster mash idea alone! X3 But you would do it right if anyone could, curse you and your surprior writing capibilities!

I agree with Kitty, Salsa and PP posting should meet requirement activity. But I still feel mafia fight up hill battle. I guess only time will tell if it is unbalance. I wouldn't add another kill role or atleas another nightly kill role. I know Godfather has had the horse head power forever but when I was exploring other mafia games I kept finding a role called “Role Breaker.” It was a mafia who's only power was to cancel a role's power for a night. Maybe if we took the godsfather's horse heads away and made a Role Breaker role? Or maybe add a Mad Apprentice? It would be like the Mad Hatter but could only lay one bomb, instead of the two? You could even say he couldn't detonate the bomb the next night. So a kill in every three nights. This could be chalked up to him like any other apprentice is nervious to show off his work to his master, so it takes time for him to work up the courige to show off his work.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
Salsa at 10:45AM, July 5, 2009
(offline)
Yeah, there are seven people that the town has to kill to win, but the town can kill four people per day/night cycle. I may eliminate one of the grunts and leave it at four mafia and two serial killers. As long as the Townies have at least one of there kill roles left, the mafia has to kill everyone, and let's face it, most of the time mafia have at least a fifty percent casualty rate anyway. I still wanna try it.
RAGE!
waff at 12:52PM, July 5, 2009
(online)
I think that 1)there should be more mafias and 2) the number of kill roles should stay the same.

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:44PM
Niccea at 5:34PM, July 5, 2009
(offline)
I believe that with the events and disputes of this last game, it is about time that everyone sat down and wrote out the normal detail rules of the game. This way we will know if anything deviates from the norm ahead of time.

Such detail rules as what happens when the Mayor is horse headed, this has never been written down but it has been carried out differently when the rare even happens.

Other things will be the situation of the bomb on the paranoid when the bomber is in office or has a paramedic assigned to them.

I remember from inquiring of BK about the game is that the horse head can get through the bodyguards and the paranoid, but she never said if it would be effective or not.
Salsa at 5:38PM, July 5, 2009
(offline)
That is a really good idea niccea, but what if someone changes some of the roles.
RAGE!
Niccea at 5:48PM, July 5, 2009
(offline)
Salsa
That is a really good idea niccea, but what if someone changes some of the roles.
Then they must make sure that they are clear in their changes and answer questions in an timely fashion. Possibly make these questions and answers public so all can know what has been discussed.
Product Placement at 3:46AM, July 6, 2009
(online)
I have this to say about installing new rules:

Regarding the paranoid, I say this, ANYONE who interacts with him, using a night actions will die, regardless if he's protected or not.

Night actions include:
A night hit (made by mafia, serial killer, vigilante or anyone else with a kill role)
A mad hatter, planting a bomb on him.
Paramedic choosing to protect him during the night.
Anything else that requires someone to interact with the paranoid during the night.

I also want it to be so that the paranoid doesn't know who he is. I don't approve that he knows because in 9 out of 10 times he informs the leadership and he's used as a tool against the mafia. I want him to be a wild card. If people are informed about whether or not a specific someone is a paranoid then everyone can simply circumvent him. If the paranoid becomes targeted by someone, his identity should be announced via the narration (in my opinion).

Regarding the horse head attack. It should cancel ALL powers that the individual has but you can't target those who is protected (via bodyguard or a paramedic).

TheFlyingGreenMonkey
You leave my monster mash idea alone! X3 But you would do it right if anyone could, curse you and your surprior writing capibilities!
Oh? I meant with those words that I was interested in playing the game but if I received a green light from you to run it, then I'm more then happy to try.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 7:51AM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
I could settle with that rule PP. The problem if the horse head cancels the mayor role always would be that the godfather would just keep horseheading the mayor.

Also, there have been no horse head clues left. I know they were left in BK's game. I can't remember any others though.
Salsa at 8:36AM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
heh lucky me. my version doesn't have that problem (no horse head ability)
RAGE!
crocty at 8:37AM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
Regarding the paranoid, I say this, ANYONE who interacts with him, using a night actions will die, regardless if he's protected or not.

Night actions include:
A night hit (made by mafia, serial killer, vigilante or anyone else with a kill role)
A mad hatter, planting a bomb on him.
Paramedic choosing to protect him during the night.
Anything else that requires someone to interact with the paranoid during the night.

I also want it to be so that the paranoid doesn't know who he is. I don't approve that he knows because in 9 out of 10 times he informs the leadership and he's used as a tool against the mafia. I want him to be a wild card. If people are informed about whether or not a specific someone is a paranoid then everyone can simply circumvent him. If the paranoid becomes targeted by someone, his identity should be announced via the narration (in my opinion).

Regarding the horse head attack. It should cancel ALL powers that the individual has but you can't target those who is protected (via bodyguard or a paramedic).

I dunno, that means the mafia has absolutely NO way of killing the paranoid. There's also no way for them to avoid him. The mafia's got it rough enough, without the paranoid being even worse. -.-

I can't remember which, I think it was Niccea's game, but I think one time the horsehead power only cancelled actions that weren't reflex, like the veteran and paranoid would still have their powers, but they would still recieve the horsehead. Maybe there could be a humorous narrative where the paranoid smacks it away with a cricket bat. Yesssss….
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
Niccea at 11:12AM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
Yeah. That was my game, but I got that from BK.
Aghammer at 11:42AM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
Yeah, I remember that. Someone can correct if I'm wrong but the mafia has won most of the games that I've played even being crazy outnumbered (such as the current game). I would think a “paranoid” would know that they are the paranoid and it would impact the play because they would change their posting pattern based on it. For example, Hakoshen tried to draw mafia fire (thanks man) in the current game.

Niccea
Yeah. That was my game, but I got that from BK.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon