MAFIA... and other forum games

Discussion about Mafia
Product Placement at 11:59AM, July 6, 2009
(online)
It makes sense that the paranoid and the veteran are still capable of using their abilities even when targeted by a horse head.

However I don't see why it would be a problem that the horse head can cancel the powers that the mayor has. He can't be targeted with that attack unless he's lost both of his bodyguards. By then the mafia might as well kill him during the night instead.

Also. I don't understand why having the paranoid not knowing who he is, can make it more difficult for the mafia. In fact it should make it less difficult if anything. Having the paranoid role hidden will make him dangerous to the town as well, like I envision that his original purpose was. If the town knows who he is, they can navigate the paramedics around him and set up traps for the mafia like I did when I was the mayor.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
Aghammer at 1:13PM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
Good point, it would make it harder for the townies since they could lose a paramedic to the paranoid when trying to protect a fellow “townie”.

Product Placement
Also. I don't understand why having the paranoid not knowing who he is, can make it more difficult for the mafia. In fact it should make it less difficult if anything. Having the paranoid role hidden will make him dangerous to the town as well, like I envision that his original purpose was. If the town knows who he is, they can navigate the paramedics around him and set up traps for the mafia like I did when I was the mayor.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
crocty at 1:28PM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
It makes sense that the paranoid and the veteran are still capable of using their abilities even when targeted by a horse head.

However I don't see why it would be a problem that the horse head can cancel the powers that the mayor has. He can't be targeted with that attack unless he's lost both of his bodyguards. By then the mafia might as well kill him during the night instead.

But really, this game Hakoshen was too obvious.
“Hey guys, I'm the detective. Even though Niccea was releasing detective info before, I'm now doing it publicly for no reason! Paramedics are my only hope, please don't target me, mafia!”
X3 Too obvious.

But really, the mafia has it hard, there are so many dangers for them. It really does make it harder if they have no chance of finding them out…
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
Niccea at 2:04PM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
XD. Hak asked if he could help. I told him he could release information. It wasn't meant to be a trap trap.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
crocty at 2:08PM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
Niccea
XD. Hak asked if he could help. I told him he could release information. It wasn't meant to be a trap trap.
Well, it still made it too obvious. :3
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
Hakoshen at 3:16PM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
Niccea

That is so not how it went! Me, offering to help anyone. The very notion is absurd!

But yeah, I couldn't have made it any more obvious. But hey, I wanted to live, as pointless as it was, and what better way to survive than by making sure everyone knew who you were? Had I said I was the paranoid, would anyone have believed me?
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 3:37PM, July 6, 2009
(online)
First off. Paramedics don't really protect townies for long. They protect the main roles. So by making the Paranoid a unknown varible your just making it less likly that the Medics well try to protect a townie.

As for the horse head. It should go past the bodyguards. In movies it always does somehow. I agree we might need to put a limit on it somehow. Maybe can't use it on the same player twice in a row. But to make so it dosn't effect the Mayor at all is like giving the mafia a dagger in a gun fight and then saying, “You know what, thats too powerful. Heres a butter knife instead.”

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
crocty at 3:43PM, July 8, 2009
(offline)
Personally, I feel something needs to be done about the detectives power that lets him know how many mafia voted to lynch someone…
It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation for the mafia. If they do vote, they'll get found as suspects, if they don't, a large block of people will be proven innocent…
I dunno…Maybe a limit on how many times you can use it?…Or something…
Product Placement at 6:27PM, July 10, 2009
(online)
A question just came up in my head that I have no good answer for. Once a villager has been turned into a monster, should he get to keep the defense he had so that he can have an advantage against that monster type if he's forced to fight one?

I.e. A player that has the werewolf defense is turned into vampire. He faces a Werewolf during the night. Normally both would die (unless he has a partner aiding him in the conflict but because of his silver pendant, he will kill the werewolf while he himself would survive.

If I'd implement this rule, then I have no idea how to resolve an issue where a vampire with a werewolf defense encounters two werewolves. He kills one of them but then dies himself? Also, what would happen if a zombie with vampire defense encounters a vampire with a zombie defense?

I myself am leaning towards saying that defensive items are discarded, once the player turns.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 1:51AM, July 11, 2009
(online)
Well PP you can go one way or the other.

I'd prefer you keep it myself.

2 werewolfs((with no Vamp def)) vs 1 Vamp((with wolf def)) = first wolf dead and vamp dead.

zombie((with vamp def)) vs Vamp((with zombie def)) = no deaths just clues.

If 2 werewolfs attack one Vamp who has wolf def and one of the wolfs have vamp def I'd say if the wolf with def attaks before one without then both last wolf and vamp die.

If vamp with wolf protection attacks a wolf then wolf dies and vamp lives.

But then agian it is your game and your decission. Just throwing them out would make things a lot easier.

Product Placement at 5:53AM, July 11, 2009
(online)
Hm… now that I think about it, I'm gonna include the protections after they die but reverse the effects. Monsters will not die during the fight unless the attacking monster is carrying a defense item.

Ok. Let me arrange the scenarios in a way that I understand them.

Vampire (with Wolf defense) vs Wolf (with Vampire defense) = both die.

Vampire (with Zombie defense) vs Wolf (with Vampire defense) = Wolf survives, Vampire dies.

Vampire (with Zombie defense) vs Wolf (with Zombie defense) = both survive.

1 Vampire (with Wolf defense) vs 2 Wolfs (both with Zombie defense) = 1 Wolf dies, 1 Wolf + Vampire survives

1 Vampire (with Wolf defense) vs 2 Wolfs (1 with Zombie defense and 1 with Vampire defense (or both with Vampire defense)) = 1 Wolf survives, 1 Wolf + Vampire dies

1 Vampire (with Zombie defense) vs 2 Wolfs (1 with Zombie defense and 1 with Vampire defense (or both with Vampire defense)) = Vampire dies, both Wolfs survive)

1 Vampire (with Zombie defense) vs 2 Wolfs (both with Zombie defense) = All survive

Monster Leaders can't be killed using this tactic. Only opposing Monster Leaders, Van Helsing or lynches can kill Monster Leaders.

This really makes the combat system more complicated but allows allot of tactic.

For example, two wolfs with separate defenses could team up to fight opposing monsters in order to maximize their chances of winning.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 9:46AM, July 12, 2009
(offline)
How many warnings do we have to give someone before they are barred from all games?
gullas at 10:48AM, July 12, 2009
(offline)
Niccea
How many warnings do we have to give someone before they are barred from all games?
I say three ones in a game, then the player will be killed off instantly in the game and is prohibited of signin up for the next three games.
We could always make “The Black List Of People Not Allowed To Play DDmafia Games” or “TBLOPNATPDG” for short….
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
Product Placement at 3:15PM, July 13, 2009
(online)
Well, I don't know about you but as far as I'm concerned, Humorman is banned from this game.

Main reason: Posting http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=49628&cid=243 as I'm running my game.

I don't care if people are gonna call me power hungry for this stunt but I don't care for his attitude at all.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 12:54AM, July 18, 2009
(offline)
In light of this game, I would like to put down a suggestion if this theme were to be picked up in the near future.

The biggest problem is that the smartest people seem to be picked first. The monsters and the hunters either want them on their side or out of the way.

The other thing is what arose at my death. Two rivals tried to turn me which ended up with me being killed rather than one or the other.

In light of both of these problems I think the turn and attack feature for the masters should be broken up.

The monster can either choose to turn or attack someone.

If they choose to turn another monster. Nothing will happen, and it will be noted as a failed hit. (Much like if they were guarded by a paramedic)

If the monster tries to attack a townie, they will be automatically turned (unless they have the correct anti-monster weapon)

If this strategy were to be applied, it would allow for the monsters to live longer rather than die off within a day.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 1:42AM, July 18, 2009
(online)
Niccea
In light of this game, I would like to put down a suggestion if this theme were to be picked up in the near future.

The biggest problem is that the smartest people seem to be picked first. The monsters and the hunters either want them on their side or out of the way.

The other thing is what arose at my death. Two rivals tried to turn me which ended up with me being killed rather than one or the other.

In light of both of these problems I think the turn and attack feature for the masters should be broken up.

The monster can either choose to turn or attack someone.

If they choose to turn another monster. Nothing will happen, and it will be noted as a failed hit. (Much like if they were guarded by a paramedic)

If the monster tries to attack a townie, they will be automatically turned (unless they have the correct anti-monster weapon)

If this strategy were to be applied, it would allow for the monsters to live longer rather than die off within a day.

It would make the game last longer but one thing that appealed to me about the idea is its quickness. I'm enjoying it, though I am protected by bodyguards.

Product Placement at 9:00AM, July 18, 2009
(online)
Well, if a future GM intends to run the Monster Mash again, he's free to pick up this rule addition if he so desires.

Now that the current game has been running for a short time, I've noticed the kinks with these experimental rules that need to be ironed out. I'll mention my suggestions, once the game has run it's course, out of fear that I may accidentally reveal any sensitive info about living players.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 7:12PM, July 19, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
Well, if a future GM intends to run the Monster Mash again, he's free to pick up this rule addition if he so desires.

Now that the current game has been running for a short time, I've noticed the kinks with these experimental rules that need to be ironed out. I'll mention my suggestions, once the game has run it's course, out of fear that I may accidentally reveal any sensitive info about living players.

Okay now that its over what kinks did you notice?

Product Placement at 1:31AM, July 20, 2009
(online)
Ok. I'm gonna try and remember all the stuff I noticed. Some were minor exploits but there were couple of errors as well.

For starters, I didn't specify couple of things like what would happen if the Van Helsing would try to recruit a leader who'd turn out to be a monster. Would he be killed by Van Helsing or would he be protected by his bodyguards. There's no good answer for that. Also, turning the leaders into hunters is a bit of an exploit since they can't be targeted by the monsters. Thus I think that Van Helsing should not be able to recruit the leaders.

Regarding the question whether or not Van Helsing can recruit someone with a special role (a bodyguard or a scary movie fan) I say that it should be allowed. There's no way for Van Helsing to know their true roles since he can only see if they're a monster or not. However, there should be a universal limit of one action per player, per night and/or day cycle. Thus if the scary movie fan is recruited he'd have to pick and choose if he wanted to protect someone or kill.

Niccea mentioned the idea of giving the monsters the choice to turn or kill. If they choose to turn they will convert a townie into their kin. If they attempt to turn another monster of a different type, the attempt fails but both players survive. If they choose to kill they will fight to the death, and monsters facing opponents with appropriate defense would die. This sounds ok in my opinion. I would declare if a monster would attack a townie with the intent to kill he will kill the townie outright. Turn attempts would also not leave a clue behind (even if it were a monster vs monster turn attempt) but all kills would leave a clue). Granted this will make the game even more harder for the townies but that's the whole point of this version.

The fighting system that I developed is a bit too complicated. I vote to drop the whole “if two monster with these defenses face one monster with this defense…” part of the rules. I think people would understand the rules much better, that way. Besides it never happened that two monsters choose to co-ordinate their attack to begin with. All fights would be considered mano un mano, 1 vs 1. If two monsters (for example vampire) with different defense items would decide to attack the same monster then the current GM can simply rule what happens. I like using the defense items to rule out what happens in a fight. It's kinda like rock, paper, scissor for me.

I'll add more if I remember about it. I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Product Placement at 2:19PM, July 28, 2009
(online)
While at work, I came up with a new system.

I like to call it, Heaven or Hell.

Basically, the players start as already dead townstonians (casualties from a previous mafia game) and they're all stuck in purgatory. Two of the players are an archangel (from heaven) and a pitlord (from hell). The rest of the players are wandering souls + few possible special roles.

I'm still working on forming the rules for this version but I figure that it would be a two stage game. First stage is where the archangel and the pitlord recruit the other players to their side (similarly to the way the monster mash worked). Those recruited would turn into angels and demons. The second stage would be a war between Heaven and Hell (where both sides fight to the death).

To brake from the norm, I was thinking that in this version, everyone roles would be revealed (with few exceptions). The pitlord and the archangel would be known and everyone. Those turned into angels and demons would be revealed as well. Only special roles would be hidden.

The angels and the demons would help with the recruiting.

At some point, a war would be declared between the two sides. When war is declared all the angels and demons gain the option of killing someone instead of recruiting. What triggers the start of war, I don't know. Possibly allow the leaders to declare it or have it be an automatic trigger when the number of wandering souls drop to a certain point.

Here are few more ideas for this version.

Both leaders share similar powers. Possible power could be these.
“Fall from grace(pit lord power)/divine redemption (archangel power)”: This power allows the archangel to make a demon turn from his wicked ways, placing him back into purgatory and vise verse. This would be a limited use power. 2 or 3 times for each leader.
“St. Peter's day off(pit lord power)/a cold day in hell(archangel power)”: This power would effectively bar the opposing side from recruiting for a whole turn. This would probably be a one use power.
"The sword of Justice (Archangel)/ Scythe of Despair(Pitlord Can grant killing power to an angel/demon outside of war time.

Other powers?

Possible special roles.
The atheist: Someone who firmly believed that none of this existed. He could be someone who can't be recruited from either side, possibly turning him into a third alternative side. Someone who recruits players to stay in purgatory, turning that realm into an alternative afterlife. All of his members would resist being recruited by angels/demons. His side would not gain kill powers once the heaven and hell war starts but instead gains defensive powers against angel/demon attack (each player can pick an immunity against attacks from either side but not both). They'd also be able to hide among the other wandering souls since their existence would not be revealed. Only the atheist is persuasive enough to recruit members to his side.
Alternatively he could also be a special type of paranoid. If an angel or a demon tries to recruit him, his strong disbelieve would will them from existence, killing the recruiter.

The good Samaritan / Practically Hitler: These special roles would be players who can only be recruited by one side (if the Atheist is allowed to be a recruiter as well, I'd say that he'd be allowed to recruit these players as well.

Other roles?

Finally, I'd like to add that this game would not utilize day or night cycle. There would only be normal turns. Each turn would take a day and once the current turn is over, a new one would begin. In this version there would be no specific nigh or day actions that could only be done at a specific time.

These are the ideas I have so far. Feel free to comment and come up with ideas of your own. Don't be shy to argue about some of those rules/roles/powers and come up with alternative ones. I also relinquish my claim to run this concept first. TFGM was nice enough to allow me to run his concept first and it's only fair that I do the same.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Aghammer at 9:24AM, July 30, 2009
(offline)
PP, I like it and will think through the implications. I really like dropping the day/night cycles… the night cycle in mafia is boring for most of the players currently (although that can't be helped).

The only problem I have with this is that it seems a little like kickball from elementary school where the team captains choose who they want on their team and I would hate to be the last one picked! HA.

I would definitely limit the leader powers to 1 or 2 times… seem very powerful. What about “bodyguards” for the leaders?

And I think it would be interesting at a later phase of the game (when everyone is recruited and one side is clearly loosing) to allow the leaders to “duel to the death”. This could be a flip of a coin to determine the winner. When this happens the winner kills the other leader and 2 others (at random) on that team. So, this ability could turn around the game or lose it completely. Either of the leaders can call a duel as soon as the balance of power has ended (and the GM annouces it can be used).

Product Placement
While at work, I came up with a new system.

I like to call it, Heaven or Hell.

Basically, the players start as already dead townstonians (casualties from a previous mafia game) and they're all stuck in purgatory. Two of the players are an archangel (from heaven) and a pitlord (from hell). The rest of the players are wandering souls + few possible special roles.
Product Placement at 1:33PM, July 30, 2009
(online)
A duel to end it all, huh? Sounds interesting.

I was considering couple of other things, like how to protect the leaders. I was thinking that during the recruiting phase, everyone's identity would be hidden. As soon as a war would be declared the identity of all the angels and demons would be revealed, allowing the leaders to hide in numbers. We could also say that the angel/demon who reachieved a sword/scythe would also function like a leader bodyguard.

I was also thinking about turning the Atheist into an alternative faction leader. At start he functions like a paranoid, using his disbelieve to destroy the angels/demons who come to recruit him. He would also be unkillable during that time. As soon as the war is declared, He turns into a leader for the Purgatory. All the wandering souls become his subjects. He also accepts the existence of heaven and hell since he's witnessing the rise of two armies from each domain, thus he looses his disbelieve power. He still remembers how to do it though and can summon up enough willpower to destroy a single angel or demon at the end of every turn. The wandering souls could at that point vote to select who they think is the enemy faction leader and have him killed. If the archangel or the pit lord gets killed, all his subjects become wandering souls as well. If both pitlord and archangel get killed, the atheist wins and forms a new afterlife where all deceased are welcome, thus dooming the other two afterlives.

Obviously the more souls the pitlord and the archangel can recruit before declaring war the less powerful the atheist faction becomes. It's an incentive for them to not jump the gun and declare war too early.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Product Placement at 4:19PM, July 30, 2009
(online)
Ok. I think I've come up with enough stuff to form the rules now. Most of this post is a repeat of what I've already said except more structured.

Drunk Duck Mafia. Heaven or Hell.

Those darn townstonians have done it again. The endless infighting has blown up the whole town and now they're all dead. At least the villagers will find peace in the afterlife.

Or will they?

Strained relations between Heaven and Hell has placed the two planes into a state of readiness for war is brewing on the horizon. Sure, there's always been some hostilities between these two worlds but this time it seems different. This time it could threaten to destroy one or the other… or possibly both. Normally the souls in Purgatory are put through a lengthy examination before their deserving afterlife is decided. However, due to the seriousness of the current situation, the two afterlives have sent agents to gather canon fo.. ehem.. valiant soldiers for the upcoming war.
All the way from cloud nine, weighing 190 pounds of celestial purity, I bring you the archangel.
From the deepest crevasses of the darkest misery comes the destroyer of hope. The instigator of misery. The one! The only! The Pit Lord!
These two agents will stop at nothing to claim these wandering souls.

But things are not so simple. One of those souls has a different idea. To him there's no such thing as a Heaven or Hell. To make such a claim is ludicrous for this man is an Atheist. He intends to stay right here in purgatory and make a afterlife that everyone can be happy with, whether they're evil and good. If his plans are allowed to come to fruition, both Heaven and Hell will be starved of souls, dooming them forever.

It's every soul for himself as the planes themselves come crashing at each other. Only one domain will survive. Will it be heaven? Will it be Hell? Will it be…. something else?

Roles:

Wandering souls.

Everyone except selected few will start in this state. You wander around purgatory, confused, not knowing what to expect. Agents from Heaven and Hell will try to recruit you, turning you into an Angel or a Demon. Once war is declared and the lines are drawn, the Atheist will rally you together, giving you a cause. When this happens you will be turned into a Rebellious spirit or a Guardian spirit.

A good Samaritan.
You've been a good and honest man in your life. Selfish thoughts never passed your mind and there isn't an evil bone in your body. Since your niceness is radiating from every pore of your body, the agents of evil are unable to recruit you. A good Samaritan can become a Rebellious/Guardian spirit. A good Samaritan that's been turned into an angel, can't be affected with the Fall of Grace power.

Practically Hitler.
Oh, you've been a bad, bad boy… or girl. (Hmm? If you're the female variety, give me a call. ;)) As a result the forces of good will have nothing to do with you. Practically Hitler can become a Rebellious/Guardian spirit. Practically Hitler that's been turned into a Demon, can't be affected with the Divine Redemption power.

The Atheist.
The Atheist is a strong willed individual who spent his life refusing to believe in the concept of afterlife. As he died, he believed that it would end with darkness and nothing more. Now that he's in purgatory, it's safe to assume that he's more then pleasantly surprised. At first he wanders the purgatory in a desperate state of denial, refusing to believe that he's here. When things become more clear, he will rally the nearby souls and stake a claim to this domain. He may have accepted that there's an afterlife but he refuses to accept totalitarian planes of good and evil. His world will accept everyone. His world shall be an afterlife where good are not rewarded, evil are not chastised. It shall be a world where everyone are equal for the American dream must exists everywhere. Also, this is his chance to become a God himself. Who would pass down an opportunity like that?
The Atheist has these following powers:
YOU DON'T EXIST!: In the beginning, the Atheist is in a deep state of denial. This can't be happening! None of this is real! This must be some crazy hallucinations that he's having as his brain is slowly dying. His state of mind may be unstable but his determination is not. He actually has the ability to will Angels and Demons, who attempt to approach him, from existence. The Atheist has no control over this power. It just happens if anyone approaches him. The Atheist can kill more then one people at a time, meaning that ganging up on him will not work. The Atheist can kill both those who try to recruit him or kill.
Radiating Persona: For every turn that passes, the Atheist will recruit a fellow Wandering Soul, turning him into a Rebellious spirit. The Atheist will not choose who will join him, his persona will simply attract other Wandering Souls.
We will make our own paradise!: As soon as the war between Heaven and Hell starts, The Atheist will come to his senses and create his favorable afterlife. At this point, all those are still wandering souls, will become Rebellious Spirits. Two of those will become his most loyal followers, turning into Guardian Spirits. Since the Atheist is no longer in his confused state, his YOU DON'T EXIST! power will disappear.
MINDCRUSH!: The Atheist may have lost his YOU DON'T EXIST! power, but his potential to destroy souls are still there. At the end of every turn, he will focus all of his willpower and eliminate a single target. In order to do so, he requires his followers to channel some of their powers to him and thus will be forced to obey which person they desire to be killed. This power can kill the Archangel and the Pit Lord directly, allowing him to circumvent his bodyguards.

Rebellious spirit
These are wandering souls that have decided to follow the Atheist in his quest to form the perfect afterlife. When the war between Heaven and Hell begins, they will vote to kill off an Angel or a Demon of their choice. Rebellious spirits can not be turned into an Angel or a Demon.

Guardian Spirit These are Rebellious souls who will adamantly follow the Atheist in his quest to form the perfect afterlife. Each turn, they can target and kill an Angel or a Demon. In addition they'll protect the Atheist with all their might, meaning that he can't be killed as long as they're around.

The Archangel.
The holiest of spirits has descended to the Planes of Purgatory, in an attempt to gather forces for the upcoming fight against Hell. His powers are divinely and few can face his majesty. In order to succeed, the Atheist will have access to these powers.
Arise!: The Archangel can recruit a Wandering soul, turning him into an Angel. All angels will gain this ability as well. If this power is used on a Demon, Practically Hitler or a Rebellious spirit, then nothing will happen. The archangel (or the angel using this power) will be informed that the recruiting failed but will not be told what role his target carries.
Divine redemption: This power allows the archangel to make a demon turn from his wicked ways, placing him back into purgatory. It can also be used on a rebellious spirit, turning him into a wandering soul and turn practically Hitler into a wandering soul as well. If this power is used on a wandering soul, the soul becomes a good Samaritan. This can power can only be used before the war begins. This power can only be used twice. It can not be used on the Pit Lord or a Practically Hitler that's been turned into a Demon.
A cold day in hell: By focusing a large amount of Divine energy, the Archangel can quell the fires in hell. The forces of evil will need to work tirelessly in the hellish furnaces to get them working again. This will effectively deny the Pit Lord and his follower from recruiting additional Demons for a single turn. This is a one use power.
"A sword of Fire and Brimstone The Archangel can appoint one of his fellow Angels the chance to become his instrument of Justice. These legendary weapons are granted to the Heavenly agents of destruction, granting them kill powers during times of peace. Angels who gain these swords are allowed to kill before War is declared between Heaven and Hell. They also serve as guardians for the Archangel. This power can be used twice. If it hasn't been used before the war starts, the remaining swords will be distributed randomly amongst the Angels. In addition, the Archangel is treated to have a Sword of Fire and Brimstone on him as well, allowing him to attack during times of peace.
I am the Champion of Truth! Archangels are hardened soldiers of Divinity. A single blow is not enough to end them. The Archangel effectively has two lives during the course of the game. If he tries to recruit or attack the Atheist, in his confused state, suffers an attack when he has no Guardians, or is targeted with a Mindcrush, the Archangel will survive. It will weaken him though making him vulnerable for a final blow.
I challenge thee! The Archangel can call out the Pit Lord, demanding a duel between them. This power has several unique features which will be explained elsewhere.

Angels.
These are Wandering Spirits that have been bathed in purity of Celestia. They are now angels, ready to serve the Archangel. During times of peace they will recruit other souls to follow the path to Heaven. When war breaks out, they will take up arms against the those who threaten to destroy their paradise.
At start they all gain the Arise! power which turns into a kill power when the war is declared.

Heavenly agent of Destruction These are Angels that have been granted A sword of Fire and Brimstone. They're allowed to kill during times of peace and will protect the Archangel from Harm. If the Heavenly agent of Destruction is killed or targeted with the Fall of Grace power, his weapon will be forever lost.

The Pit Lord.
He is an agent of Doom and despair. He lives to torture the wicked. To boil the impure. He takes great joy from tainting the minds of good spirits, dooming them to an afterlife of misery and pain. He has been sent to gather minions to serve in the unending tides of the Demonic Army. To do so he will be able to use these following powers.
Submit! The Pit Lord can recruit a Wandering soul, turning him into a Demon. All Demons will gain this ability as well. If this power is used on an Angel, a good Samaritan or a Rebellious spirit, then nothing will happen. The Pit Lord (or the demon using this power) will be informed that the recruiting failed but will not be told what role his target carries.
Fall from grace The Pit Lord can corrupt the heart of an Angel. Turning them back into a confused soul. It can also be used on a rebellious spirit, turning him into a wandering soul and turn a Good Samaritan into a wandering soul as well. If this power is used on a wandering soul, the soul becomes Practically Hitler. This can power can only be used before the war begins. This power can only be used twice. It can't be used on the Archangel or a good Samaritan that's been turned into an Angel.
St. Peter's day off: The Pit Lord is a master of confusion and can screw up the work schedule of the Angels, making them Believe that St.Peter is on a Holiday. It will take a whole turn to correct this mistake and during that time the forces of Good will be unable to recruit Angels.
Scythe of Despair: The Pit Lord can pick two Demons who he believes are worthy enough to wield some of the most horrible weapons ever crafted in the furnaces of Hell. The Scythe of Despair will allow the Demon, wielding it to kill during times of peace. He will also protect the Pit Lord until he dies. This power can be used twice. If it hasn't been used before the war starts, the remaining scythes will be distributed randomly amongst the Demons. In addition, the Pit Lord is treated to have a Scythe of Despair on him as well, allowing him to attack during times of peace.
You've seen nothing until you've experienced Hell! The Pit lord is a fighting machine that will not be easily stopped. The Pit Lord effectively has two lives during the course of the game. If he tries to recruit or attack the Atheist while in his confused state, suffers an attack when he has no Guardians, or is targeted with a Mindcrush, the Pit Lord will survive. It will weaken him though making him vulnerable for a final blow.
Come Out and Fight Me! The Pit Lord can call out the Archangel, demanding a duel between them. This power has several unique features which will be explained elsewhere.

Demons.
These are Wandering Spirits that have been corrupted to the point where they know nothing but fury and hatred. They are now Demons, ready to serve the Pit Lord. During times of peace they will recruit other souls, leading them astray from the good path. When war breaks out, the demons will be enraged, ready to destroy everything in their path.
At start they all gain the Submit! power which turns into a kill power when the war is declared.

Doomguards.
A Doomguard is a Demon who has been granted a Scythe of Despair. They are allowed to kill during times of peace and they will protect the Pit Lord from harm. If a Doomguard is killed or targeted with the Divine redemption power, his weapon will be forever lost.

Conditions that will trigger the War:
If either the Archangel or the Pit Lord is directly attacked by the opposing force or is somehow killed, the war will start. If the Archangel or the Pit Lord accidentally targets the confused Atheist, causing him to loose a life, the war will not be triggered. A direct attack made on these beings is considered an act of war.
The Archangel and the Pit Lord are allowed to declare war, thus starting the conflict themselves.
If the number of remaining wandering souls/rebellious spirits ever drops to 5 or lower, the war will start. The war will start with the announcement that a skirmish occurred between Heaven and Hell, elsewhere, triggering the start of the conflict.

Duel! Rules and terms!
This is an explanation related to theI challenge thee!/Come Out and Fight Me! power that the Archangel and the Pit Lord share. First of all, it can only be used once during the course of the entire game. If the Pit Lord has already challenged the Archangel, the power is considered spent for both parties. This power can only be used during peace time and will be considered spent if war is declared.
The Archangel and the Pit Lord are considered so evenly matched in a fight that only pure chance can determine who would win. The victor of the fight is randomly selected.
There are three types of duels that can be fought. Humiliation, First blood, and to the death.
Humiliation: The Archangel and the Pit Lord will duel until one of them is disarmed and is at disadvantage. Wager is allowed. This fight will not trigger a war.
First Blood: The fight will go on until one of the leaders is wounded, causing him to loose a single life. If the Leader who receives the wound, has already lost a life, he will die from his injuries. Wager is allowed. This fight will trigger a war if one of the leaders dies in it.
To the Death: The fight will continue until either party perishes. The fight functions like a multiple first blood fights, where the Archangel and the Pit Lord will duel until either one has lost both lives. Naturally, if one of the player has already lost a life, while the other one still has both of his, the one with more lives will have an advantage in that fight. Betting is not allowed since it's already an all or nothing fight. This fight will trigger a war.
The challenger can set terms that the one who's being challenged has to accept. If the challenged player refuses the terms, the fight will be canceled.
Making Wagers are allowed during non mortal fights. The challenger has the first right to make a bet. Should the challenged player accept the terms, he's allowed to raise the stakes if a bet was made to begin with. Otherwise, he can make a fresh bet. The challenger has to accept the new bet before fighting can commence.
The leaders are allowed to bargain their lives, their minions, their weapons or anything else they could think of (as long as the GM accepts it). Betting a live (can only be done during a humiliation fight, where both leaders still have both of their lives) means that the looser will sacrifice one of his lives to grant the other a third one. Minion bets means that the looser has to sacrifice some of his followers by downgrading them to wandering souls again. Betting weapons means that the leaders can wage their swords and scythes as currency. The winner will gain more legendary weapons to dish out, increasing his number of guardians. It's only possible to bet with weapons that have not been distributed. The leaders can also make different kinds of bet, like forbidding the looser from recruiting for a turn, or that the looser has to pull down his pants and run around in circles, singing praises to the victor. It's totally up to the one who's making the bet (The GM has to accept the bet though).
Additional note, since it takes time to organize the use of this power (the GM needs to inform the opposing leader that the challenge has been made and discuss the terms and bets), the player who uses this power is encourage to announce that he's planing to use it at the start of the turn. Making the challenge and accepting it will use up the leaders action for the turn. However, if either leader refuses the terms, the duel is canceled and both leaders are allowed to pick a different action for that turn.

Starting Roles.
The Archangel (1)
The Pit Lord (1)
The Atheist (1)
A Good Samaritan (3)
Practically Hitler (3)
Wandering souls (the rest)

Roles that are granted later.
Angels (lots)
Heavenly agent of Destruction (2)
Demons (lots)
Doomguard (2)
Rebellious spirits (lots)
Guardian spirit (2)
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Aghammer at 7:39PM, July 30, 2009
(offline)
My friend, that sounds Awesome! (and that's a good thing)
ParkerFarker at 2:47AM, July 31, 2009
(online)
That does sound awesome. I would just hope to become a rebellious spirit.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
D_Dude at 10:10AM, July 31, 2009
(online)
What happens if (for example) a good samaritan, who becomes an angel, is later targeted by fall from grace? Will he still be unable to become a demon? If so will he stay as an angel or wil he be reduced to a wandering spirit again?
FEAR THE BADGER!
It's not overkill if you don't hit him.
Sir! We are surrounded! … Good. Then we can charge in EVERY direction.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
GarBonzo Bean at 12:48PM, July 31, 2009
(offline)
will there be an election in your game Product? Or is it just going straight to the game after everyone gets their roles.
If its popsicle, its possible!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
Product Placement at 12:50PM, July 31, 2009
(online)
D_Dude
What happens if (for example) a good samaritan, who becomes an angel, is later targeted by fall from grace? Will he still be unable to become a demon? If so will he stay as an angel or wil he be reduced to a wandering spirit again?
I'd say that he'd be reduced to wandering soul. Since he's still a good Samaritan, he can't be recruited by the forces of evil. Same for Practically Hitler, only reverse.

I designed the powers that the Archangel and the Pit Lord has to be a double edge sword. They can use them to sabotage the efforts of each other but in the long run, the one that gains most from their conflict is the Atheist. The more the forces of Heaven and Hell fight amongst each other, the better chances does the Atheist have of winning. Demoting, angels/demons into wandering souls, taking away the enemies ability to recruit for a whole turn, declaring war too early, all of these things will give the Atheist a longer time to build up his forces, making him a formidable side to deal with. Also if one of the mayor forces, let say the Demons, decide to focus their efforts on killing all the wandering spirits, they might be in danger of ending up loosing since the Angels would kill of all the demons as they themselves are safe.

Imagine it like this. If your side focuses too much on wiping out one of your opponents, you'll practically guaranty that your side will loose as well since the third force will gain ground at the same time.
GarBonzo Bean
will there be an election in your game Product? Or is it just going straight to the game after everyone gets their roles.
No starting election. The only voting that takes place is when the war begins and the Rebellious spirit vote to kill of one of the angels/demons. Their main goal is to identify and kill the faction leaders so that all of his minions get turn into rebellious spirits as well.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
D_Dude at 1:37PM, July 31, 2009
(online)
There would still be narratives with clues in them i suppose, just so people know who killed who and such.
FEAR THE BADGER!
It's not overkill if you don't hit him.
Sir! We are surrounded! … Good. Then we can charge in EVERY direction.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
Product Placement at 1:52PM, July 31, 2009
(online)
Yeah, I guess the setup would be that no clues are given when someone is recruited but clues are given when someone is killed.

At the start, the only players with kill powers are the Archangel and the Pit Lord. Anyone who gains the sword or the scythe would gain kill powers as well and as soon as the War starts, all the demons, angels and the ones who become guardian spirits would gain kill powers as well.

When the war starts, it will probably be a free for all where 5-10 people die in one turn. Such an event would be too confusing to be throwing 8 different set of clues around so instead, it would be better to write a single event, telling who dies during the fight and hide clues that might point out the identity of the Archangel and the Pit Lord for the Rebellious spirits to look at.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon