Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, and wildebeest needs
bravo1102 at 1:35AM, Oct. 5, 2011
(offline)
Hippie Van wrote:
I've not been feeling well this evening. I think it's my own fault, though. I was painting(acrylics) all day in a small room and forgot to open the window. Massive headache. And I feel awful for my poor little ratty who had to breathe that in all day.
Read the labels on the acrylics. They shouldn't be making you ill unless you usechemical brush cleaners. They're alcohol based. And here I am working with enamels and lacquers and all kinds of evil solvents and I'm fine with just a fan set up blowing in fresh air. Of course my kidneys will probably shut down when I'm 65 but at least I'm not a smoker.

So the wife thought she did me a favor by getting me the dark curaco chocolate as Giadelli's in California. She got me the dark baking chocolate with no sugar that isn't even bitter. It tastes like a bar of solid coffee. Has the same effectas a cup of coffee but with enough fat to strangle your capillaries for this lifetime and the next.
Ozoneocean at 8:32AM, Oct. 5, 2011
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
Earlier today I sent my coworker a text like “Hey, did we agree to X or Y?” and got back “Sure, sounds good.”
That was one issue we often had with Kinh at Wowio-
We'd send an e-mail with a bulleted list of things that need addressing- not rambly, not indistinct, just short, concise points, one after the other. Invariably his eventual reply would only ever address the first two.

Send him more or reminders about the rest and there'd just be silence…

We learned that to get answers or action on anything from Kinh what you had to do was just forget everything and just focus on the most important issue- one single issue. Leave all the rest, ignore it because you'll just be wasting your time. Put the one single thing prominent and right at the beginning of the e-mail.
————-

I've never had that happen with acrylics in all my years of using them (did with oils though which is why I quit them). But all paint companies are different and the same poisoned pigments that're in oils are in acrylics too… One thing that could get you with your paints is the stuff they use as the binder. I remember several types of paint I used to use that it smelt strongly of ammonia, which in the right conditions CAN make you pretty ill from breathing it.
HippieVan at 1:32PM, Oct. 5, 2011
(online)
Well, my old acrylics have never bothered me but I bought a couple tubes of new ones for my halloween costume and they smell quite strong.
I tend to be sensitive to that sort of thing, though. Anything with a strong smell…paints, nail polish, soaps, and so on.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 4:42PM, Oct. 5, 2011
(online)
Feeling a little better now, and started draw comics again. I wish I had the talent to actually publish my work, comic book style… Well, one can dream, right?

I need to go get some bike tire wrenches. Or maybe I should try using that stop flat can…. or not… I've been told that the stuff tends to corrode your rims when you use it.

Lovely… thanks to TV tropes I found out why my home (Guam) is so popular with tourists… We actually have strip clubs here. In fact, my first job as a Security Officer was to assist a bouncer inside one (I kept an eye on the door and people going in and out of the place while on standby if the bouncer needed my help). It was the most unpleasant job of my life at the time… In fact, many of my coworkers thought I was homosexual because of my reaction to having to work inside one. O_O
last edited on Oct. 6, 2011 12:24AM
bravo1102 at 2:04AM, Oct. 6, 2011
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
Lovely… thanks to TV tropes I found out why my home (Guam) is so popular with tourists… We actually have strip clubs here.
And to think I always thought it was the whole World War II battlefield draw. It is the one Pacific battlefields that is an American possession. Every veteran I knew who served in the Pacific felt an obligation to go to Guam. Aren't there also some Pacific Theater cemetaries? My great uncle was interred there for a time before his remains were moved to the Punchbowl in Hawai'i.

There then are the Vietnam vets who usually stopped there on the trip to The Nam. And plenty of USAF guys who were stationed there including the Mighty Duk. (That's SSG Gary Duk USA ret. to addanother dimensionto the whole Drunk Duck thing?)

And Iused to look at the US Gov jobs site to check on my getting a job there as a teacher. However, I'm too old now.
Ozoneocean at 10:19AM, Oct. 6, 2011
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
Lovely… thanks to TV tropes I found out why my home (Guam) is so popular with tourists… We actually have strip clubs here.
Strip clubs are great, but aren't they everywhere? I mean, sure, as a tourist it's fun to go if they're around in the area, but do they normally influence your choice of destination?

I always thought of Guam as a tropical paradise type place…
Lonnehart at 1:31PM, Oct. 6, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Lonnehart wrote:
Strip clubs are great, but aren't they everywhere? I mean, sure, as a tourist it's fun to go if they're around in the area, but do they normally influence your choice of destination?

I always thought of Guam as a tropical paradise type place…
I'm sure they're everywhere, but in not in some asian countries (or if they're illegalin that country, they're very well hidden). On that one night I ended up working inside one, my opinion of Japanese businessmen changed. Yeah… during the day they're very disciplined and stoic and such… but inside that place called “G-Spot” they were wild… like drunken American marines are when watching women strip. O_O

For the most part, Guam is a tropical paradise. However, even the most pristine and pure paradises sometimes have a very dirty underbelly…
last edited on Oct. 6, 2011 1:32PM
seventy2 at 1:49AM, Oct. 7, 2011
(online)
“you are so selfless, and brave, and make the right choices”
i chose what i did, because i stand to gain the most, and lose the least. Neither choice was wrong, but one would hurt me more.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
bravo1102 at 3:02AM, Oct. 7, 2011
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
. On that one night I ended up working inside one, my opinion of Japanese businessmen changed. Yeah… during the day they're very disciplined and stoic and such… but inside that place called “G-Spot” they were wild… like drunken American marines are when watching women strip. O_O

For the most part, Guam is a tropical paradise. However, even the most pristine and pure paradises sometimes have a very dirty underbelly…
There's an old shock documentary called “Shocking Asia” which chronicles Asia's sexual escapades. Bangkok is notorious. As for Japanese Businessmen they all act like that gaping nosebleed teen from hentai around the naked girls. They're expected to. But in the end it's the “Y” chromosome and testosterone. And it's funto watch after taking a sip of my overpriced beer, peering over my drawing easel.

Go-go bars are one place to go to do quick anatomy sketches. And on slow nights the girls like artists even ifwe don't tip as well as slobbering businessmen. Haven't done it in years and nowadays I hear all the girls only speak Russian or Portugese.
Genejoke at 4:26AM, Oct. 7, 2011
(online)
Stressed. Moving house very soon (finally) but the problems keep on coming. We have the keys and can movie in but it now has a massive flea infestation so waiting for fumigators to do their thing before I can actually move. It was fine a few weeks back but a stary can found its way in through the cat flap and with the property being vacant it stayed a while and left gifts.
Still that is in hand at no cost to me.
Tried sorting out utilities, electricity no problems. water… minor issues. Gas…
British gas a fucking useless. the new place soesn't have gas so i just need to sort out the amount i need to pay to close things up. I'm bang up to date so there shouldn't be an issue. Apparently I didn't make any payments to the between october 2010 and april this year, which I know I did because it was a stuggle and the phoned us in april saying the same thing and we cleared it up then. They found the payments and all was good, until today and they say again that I never made them, everything is electronic and they should be able to tarce the payments easily. I've done it all my end and given them everything there is to give and still they try and say they never recieved the payments. Even though they acknowledge they had recieved them back in april.
GAH!
Niccea at 6:06AM, Oct. 7, 2011
(offline)
That is when you get in writting that they have it.

I haven't gotten enough sleep this week. I'm either dreaming about my patients on my internship or the Drunk Duck Awards. Careful, I sleep judge.
Ozoneocean at 7:38AM, Oct. 7, 2011
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Go-go bars are one place to go to do quick anatomy sketches. And on slow nights the girls like artists even ifwe don't tip as well as slobbering businessmen. Haven't done it in years and nowadays I hear all the girls only speak Russian or Portugese.
They're English speaking Americans in NOLA :)
It's way too dark for anatomy sketches… and they have skinny bods anyway…

Facebook is getting too creepy now. It continues to suggest “friends” to me and now on it's “people you may know” list it's bringing up people it shouldn't really know I have any connection to and who I do NOT want to be friends with on FB under any circumstances. Meanwhile people are adding me like mad on Google plus and I'm not quite sure why- it doesn't have anything to do with DD and they're not spammers.
My theory is that for some reason it keeps throwing up my profile as a “suggestion” for people to add if they have an interest in art or webcomics and people just go ahead and do it. (almost all of them are comicers or artists)

No harm in it, it's just strange.
bravo1102 at 8:20AM, Oct. 7, 2011
(offline)
Somehow, somewhere I developed superior night vision. I'm good at seeing in the dark. I know all the tricks they teach in the Army to preserve night vision and practice them more and more these days since I do most of my driving at night. The most dangerous thing about night driving is the other guy's headlights blinding you.

Damn German and wanna be German Japanese cars that have headlamps that 20 years ago were deemed to dangerous to look into. There were huge warning signs all over the xenon and halogen lights we had on tanks before thermal night vision and now they're on cars all over the place.

The wife is coming home this weekend and since I'm working I'll only hear about it by phone. I packed her a bag for her to use when she goes straight into rehab in NJ and mailed her a care package a few days back. According to the USPO tracking it should be delivered today so at least she'll have underwear for her flight.

So I found some no longer available accessories for a model I was building from an Asian seller on ebay. I bought it. I got it today only after having decided two days ago that I don't need it. So they are now spares. Everything left over in model building is a spare, which is one of the great (and bad) things about the hobby. You'll always have a spare part to fix or replace the part you broke or lost but you never have to room to put it all. And when you periodically clean out the spares you'll find yourself needing what you got rid of.

So never get rid of anything.
Product Placement at 10:00AM, Oct. 7, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:Facebook is getting too creepy now. It continues to suggest “friends” to me and now on it's “people you may know” list it's bringing up people it shouldn't really know I have any connection to and who I do NOT want to be friends with on FB under any circumstances. Meanwhile people are adding me like mad on Google plus and I'm not quite sure why- it doesn't have anything to do with DD and they're not spammers.
Yeah. I have a professor at my school who specializes in search algorithms and information networks, who was teaching me this summer. He told me interestingly enough that Facebook did an intensive study on the Icelandic community on facebook to study who they added as friends.

The reason was that the size of the community is a perfect study group. Not too large to be overwhelming and still sizable enough to give you good data. Stuff that they did was to take a snapshot of the entire network at one point and then take another look at it days/weeks/months later to see how it had changed. Then they looked at all the people who had become friends and then they tried to figure out what they had in common (same friends? interest? lived in the same area? part of the same group? etc). He was privy of this data and their results and it helped improve their friend suggestion system immensely.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on Oct. 7, 2011 10:01AM
Ironscarf at 10:14AM, Oct. 7, 2011
(offline)
British gas a fucking useless.
Didn't Thatcher sell off British Gas like everything else British? I know there are people who still call themselves British gas, but they're more like RottenStinkingRipoff GasPlc. Times are getting harder here and I can smell revolution in the air. Or maybe it's just bad gas.
Lonnehart at 2:19PM, Oct. 7, 2011
(online)
Wow… so after buying a used copy of Mass Effect 2 I was told about takinga survey by the cashier and that I could win a $500 gift certificate or something. So I went ahead and took it. I might win, but the odds are astronomical. Oh, well… I never win at these sort of contests anyway…
Genejoke at 2:33PM, Oct. 7, 2011
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
British gas a fucking useless.
Didn't Thatcher sell off British Gas like everything else British? I know there are people who still call themselves British gas, but they're more like RottenStinkingRipoff GasPlc. Times are getting harder here and I can smell revolution in the air. Or maybe it's just bad gas.
Bingo! I've been doing a little research and for a company who advertise themselves as being so very customer focused they do some outrageous shit.
skoolmunkee at 4:47PM, Oct. 7, 2011
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
Wow… so after buying a used copy of Mass Effect 2 I was told about takinga survey by the cashier and that I could win a $500 gift certificate or something. So I went ahead and took it. I might win, but the odds are astronomical. Oh, well… I never win at these sort of contests anyway…
Congratulations, you have already won a great prize by getting to play ME2
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ozoneocean at 8:55PM, Oct. 7, 2011
(online)
I'm Captain Shepard and Drunk Duck is my favourite comic site on the web!
Lonnehart at 9:12PM, Oct. 7, 2011
(online)
Yeah… I won alright… a sleepless night/day playing this thing ‘til I go to work…

Oh… and someone run a DNA scan on the previous poster. I have a feeling he’s not who he says he is… >:-D
Ozoneocean at 10:11PM, Oct. 7, 2011
(online)
Silence Earth clan! For I am a Biotic God! I think things and they happen. Smell my greatness!
skoolmunkee at 1:11AM, Oct. 8, 2011
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
I'm Captain Shepard and Drunk Duck is my favourite comic site on the web!
Commander

Captain, honestly…

I preferred her renegade option. This site discriminates against people who don't like comics!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ozoneocean at 1:24AM, Oct. 8, 2011
(online)
skoolmunkee wrote:
Captain, honestly…

I preferred her renegade option. This site discriminates against people who don't like comics!
We Volus have no use for your Earth “accuracy” Earth Clan >:[

——————–
So, SAS black hawks are going back and forth, back and forth low over my house. At least 3, maybe more. SO LOUD! House shaking LOUD!

Bravo once said they were quiet…? Well maybe these are shitty Aussie variants because they are FREAKING loud!

It's some sort of silly anti-terrorist training in the lead up to the commonwealth heads of government (CHOGM) meeting that'll be in the city here in a couple of weeks. Whatever. I know it's really just a publicity stunt by the useless state government. Right-wing arseholes. -_-
Lonnehart at 2:25AM, Oct. 8, 2011
(online)
Yes… I remember how Skool was talking about her character's romance option… A LOT! Luckily for me, my version of Shepard is the one who was orphaned and is a sole survivor. While he's a very nice guy, he avoids romance like the plague… :)

Oh, no… one of my female coworkers showed me the “Nyan Cat” meme… now I'm looking for other viral videos with that stuff in it… with the donut cat being my favorite. I'm not going to link it here because I'm not going to put you all in that same trap…
last edited on Oct. 8, 2011 2:35PM
Genejoke at 11:54PM, Oct. 8, 2011
(online)
When I played mass effect 2 I had shapard tap that genetically perfected female, she just had generic love interest written all over her.
seventy2 at 11:55PM, Oct. 8, 2011
(online)
I didn't realize how much exercise kept my thoughts, and therefor life, in balance. I use that time to contemplate all the things. It's quiet. people rarely work out with me, so i'll spend the 1-3 hours by myself, and my thoughts, anything aggressive or frustrating can be taken out right there, with a little extra speed, weight, or more reps.
I've only been able to work out twice over the last two weeks, and work and life choices are killing me, regardless of the beauty of the area i'm surrounded by.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
Ozoneocean at 12:24AM, Oct. 9, 2011
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
When I played mass effect 2 I had shapard tap that genetically perfected female, she just had generic love interest written all over her.
But she had a jaw like a steamshovel… I tied Talli and Jack when i played male Shep and no-one when I went femme-shep. -Except for Kelly…
Lonnehart at 2:17AM, Oct. 9, 2011
(online)
Lovely… a prison exchange gone horribly wrong. Oh, well… got a new squadmate out of it, a couple thousand credits, a shotgun upgrade, and a lot of experience. But the galaxy is one less a prison ship, and one less a corrupt warden…

And hence why I don't plan on taking on any love interests in this game. Maybe if my Paragon version of Shepard was a spacer who had lots of honors in the military or a very ruthless renegade he would do that. But no… He's a guy who lost his family as a child and then became the sole survivor of his unit in a botched mission. Add to that (in the original save file I lost) that he was forced to sacrifice his only love interest near the end of the first game, well…There's no way he's going to let anyone get too close to him now for fear of losing them too. But he's still a nice guy.
Ozoneocean at 2:49AM, Oct. 9, 2011
(online)
Jack is pretty useless with her shotgun, but her powers are decent. For the rest- The best thing about doing her loyalty mission is her alt uniform; you finally get to cover that awful chest of hers.
ayesinback at 3:17AM, Oct. 9, 2011
(online)
I've been up for an hour and fifteen. why? Why, on a Sunday, do I awake at 5 AM?

the quiet is kinda nice
You TOO can be (multiple choice)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon