Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, and wildebeest needs
HippieVan at 4:22PM, Nov. 6, 2011
(online)
Well, I generally find the shifting of politically correct terms to be a little silly, but the history behind calling aboriginal people “indians” makes it understandably offensive, I think. There are about a million other terms that I think are acceptable…native, first nations, etc. The only one I don't like is indian.
I understand if people are confused about what's correct and what's not, but the way my boss uses it comes across as derogatory to me.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 5:44PM, Nov. 6, 2011
(online)
Well… my computer situation has a small bright spot now. If I can hold enough money from today's payday and wait ‘til later in the month and if the parts don’t sell out, I'll have a fast upgraded computer in a few weeks. Complete with brand new power supply. It just occured to me that the power supply could be the reason why my mainboard got fried, so I'm not taking any chances with new parts.

I hope your mom recovers soon, Rok. At least it was appendicitis which they caught in time.

ugh… now I'm getting back memories of seeing MY mother in the hospital. And those hurt quite a lot. >_<
Ozoneocean at 6:57PM, Nov. 6, 2011
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
first nations
Bingo!
That's the one I like the best ^_^
I first heard that one in Death Comes to Town (by Kids in The Hall), great series that one!

—————–
@Roku- Thank goodness! I hope she recoveres soon! Lucky nothing went wrong. Wish her well from us at DD!
Niccea at 6:02AM, Nov. 7, 2011
(offline)
The Awards have started! Just lettting everyone here know!
seventy2 at 6:05AM, Nov. 7, 2011
(online)
I want to buy a camera.

I may buy a camera.

I'm definitely buying a camera.

come on black friday.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
Lonnehart at 5:40PM, Nov. 7, 2011
(online)
seventy2 wrote:
I want to buy a camera.

I may buy a camera.

I'm definitely buying a camera.

come on black friday.
Um… you're missing one question..

Do you NEED that camera?
Ozoneocean at 8:21PM, Nov. 7, 2011
(online)
Yay. Finally finished another page! It will update in a few hours…

I wonder why it takes me longer and longer to do this work? It IS very detailed, crafted and artistically coloured, but I don't think that's the true reason. I think that I'm just not thinking about deadlines and timelines clearly in relation to what I do anymore- time for my comic has less meaning so it doesn't matter how late it gets or how much time it takes…

Conversely, DD timelines mean a hell of a lot and I have to adhere to them weekly: get the feature read, reviewed and posted about on time, pick the community featured person and do a write-up and newspost about them, pick a topic/organise an interview guest/research and do a writeup for the weekly Quackcast, the record it on time…. Etc.

I wonder if adminning the site is at least partly responsible for my comic slowdown by prioritising big chunks of my free-time, or is that me just trying to find convenient scapegoats for my own inability to stick to a comic schedule? Hmm :(
seventy2 at 8:11AM, Nov. 8, 2011
(online)
One word answers both questions posted since my post:

yes.
facara
Ally Haert at 11:01AM, Nov. 8, 2011
(online)
I was shopping at the local market today with my three kids. The smallest was sitting in the buggy and the two older ones were walking around next to me. We decided to stop on the candle isle and smell some candles together (my two older ones LOVE doing this whenever we go to the store).

We were having a fun time until I reached for a Hazlenut scented candle. From the front, this candle looked fine. It was in a large glass jar with a glass lid. As I picked it up and tried to remove the lid, I sliced open my middle finger on the back of the jar. Apparently, someone had broken the candle and (I'm assuming they didn't want to pay for it) had replaced it back on the shelf with the unblemished side facing outwards. With the lid in place, no one could tell the candle was broken.

It wasn't a very large cut, but it turned out to be very deep. There I was holding my hand while my two older kids started freaking out. I calmly walk my crew to the customer service desk, all the while leaving this trail of blood on the floor and my kids are screaming.

By the time we reached the desk, my fingertips are all covered in blood from applying pressure to the wound. It looks like I've just finished murdering a small animal. The old lady at the desk looked like she was about to faint when I asked for a band-aid.

It was so embarrassing. All of the staff made a very big deal about getting me bandaged and trying to be helpful. I got the distinct impression they were all worried I'd sue them or something. Seriously, all I wanted was a band-aid.

I had to wait twenty minutes to fill out a medical report with the store manager before I finally got to pay for my groceries and leave.

Now I'm finally home, and my finger won't stop hurting. I don't think it needs stitches, but man it was a terrible day at the store. :(
“No one can go back to start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending,” Maria Ross.
Gary Boyarski at 11:33AM, Nov. 8, 2011
(offline)
They should have given you your groceries for free. The markup on food is sometimes almost 50%. The least they could have offered was a stack of coupons.
My comic: http://www.drunkduck.com/Boozer_and_Stoner/
Ally Haert at 12:02PM, Nov. 8, 2011
(online)
I don't really consider the injury to be the store's fault. Obviously it was a well hidden crack in the jar, I would have never picked it up if I knew it was broken.

I just happened to be the unlucky sap that stumbled into a trap that another customer laid. I wouldn't feel comfortable holding the store responsible for that mistake just because it happened there.

I wouldn't hold my friends responsible if I stubbed my toe on the coffee table, just because it happened at their house.
“No one can go back to start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending,” Maria Ross.
Zad at 3:42PM, Nov. 8, 2011
(online)
Oh my gosh it is so nice to be off haitus. I missed my DD!
But… what the heck is this Meebo panel?

Share page? Fan page? Twitter?
I'm glad those are options for every single thing I visit. There are a million people out there who need to know what forum I am browsing, and what page of what thread I am on, and I'll be darned if I'm going to just copy and paste the link.
FREE RX DISCOUNT CARD? WHAT WOULD I DO IF THIS WASN'T AVAILABLE AT THE BOTTOM OF EVERY PAGE?
I just loved seeing this panel slowly appear on every site I visit, it's just great to know I'll be seeing it on DD, too.
'>_>
Ally Haert at 7:20PM, Nov. 8, 2011
(online)
HOLY SHIT. Torandos are a SHITTY way to be woken up in the middle of the night.
Lonnehart at 9:33PM, Nov. 8, 2011
(online)
Ally Haert wrote:
HOLY SHIT. Torandos are a SHITTY way to be woken up in the middle of the night.
Yikes! Not a good way to wake up. I hope you didn't get hit…

well… if you did get hit, you won't be responding to this soon…

heh… somehow got this “fried” board to work. It's mostly working now. But it's still got damage; the PCI Express slot no longer works. Either that or my GeForce 8500GT card is fried (and the card'sfan turning when it's in the slot is no indication of whether it's still intact or not). Not sure which it is… the system won't boot when the card is slotted in. Good thing this motherboard has a GeForce 6100 built into it.

Still gonna gut and replace everything inside the case though. I'm overdue for an upgrade anyway. I've got a new 550 watt power supply in the case now which is probably whyI can still use this board; the old 480 watt power supply is burnt inside…

Electricity is an amazing thing. No matter how much surge protection you place on your equpment a surge will still kill your computer… And destroy the “protection” along the way.

Oh, well… I guess I'll enjoy this McRib I just got from McDonalds. Yeah… that sandwich that the so called “barbeque connoisseurs” from Texas call “Fo-Que”…
last edited on Nov. 8, 2011 9:52PM
Genejoke at 11:38PM, Nov. 8, 2011
(online)
Zad wrote:
Oh my gosh it is so nice to be off haitus. I missed my DD!
But… what the heck is this Meebo panel?

Share page? Fan page? Twitter?
I'm glad those are options for every single thing I visit. There are a million people out there who need to know what forum I am browsing, and what page of what thread I am on, and I'll be darned if I'm going to just copy and paste the link.
FREE RX DISCOUNT CARD? WHAT WOULD I DO IF THIS WASN'T AVAILABLE AT THE BOTTOM OF EVERY PAGE?
I just loved seeing this panel slowly appear on every site I visit, it's just great to know I'll be seeing it on DD, too.
'>_>
Just click it off, I don't see it off.
Ally Haert at 5:30AM, Nov. 9, 2011
(online)
Spent a good part of last night hunkering down with the kids in the bathroom. Two tornados within a couple miles of us.

And even so, my kids STILL wake up at seven. Gonna go drink an entire pot of coffee. :'(
Ozoneocean at 6:48AM, Nov. 9, 2011
(online)
@Lonne- It's the card man. Same thing happened to me. I had an 8800 GTX, and because that was failing it was taking everything else down with it, EVERYTHING. With a new card things were right as rain again.
It was confusing, because sometimes things would work fine, sometime they wouldn't, sometimes the entire system would hang for a while then then start up again, or I'd just have to restart… and then it got to the point where it wouldn't even boot most of the time.
But with a new card, all is well.

—–

Stay safe Alley!!!!
Lonnehart at 10:58AM, Nov. 9, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
@Lonne- It's the card man. Same thing happened to me. I had an 8800 GTX, and because that was failing it was taking everything else down with it, EVERYTHING. With a new card things were right as rain again.
It was confusing, because sometimes things would work fine, sometime they wouldn't, sometimes the entire system would hang for a while then then start up again, or I'd just have to restart… and then it got to the point where it wouldn't even boot most of the time.
But with a new card, all is well.

—–

Stay safe Alley!!!!
I'm guessing it couldbe the card as well. The system won't boot even after I've set thebios to boot the onboard GPU(Graphics Processing Unit)first. I'm still going to “gut” the system, but my next upgrade will most likely be the hard drive. I don't know why, but I think I'd feel more secure if I had a lot of storage space, and 500 GB of space for under $80 sounds like a good deal at the moment. It's tempting to upgrade the card first, but I'm not going to do it just for one game. The Sims 3 won't run on a 6100, which is what my onboard GPU happens to be; it lacks a certain compression technology that most cards after the 6200 (with the exception of the7100) has which that game uses…
Lonnehart at 11:02AM, Nov. 9, 2011
(online)
I'd edit my previous post, but quotes and links end up biting each other when I do.

Don't you wish you had friends like these?

Nichijou: A Friend's Trust
Heh… Make sure the friend you're telling your most intimate secrets to isn't rich… or an agent of the Shadow Broker.

Just something to cheer people up this morning. :)
last edited on Nov. 9, 2011 11:18AM
Ally Haert at 12:12PM, Nov. 9, 2011
(online)
Went outside today to see what kind of damage happened from our storm last night. And then I saw my neighbors house and realized just how close we came to disaster…..
Lonnehart at 12:37PM, Nov. 9, 2011
(online)
Ugh… it would've been better if it had not hit anything at all. Mother nature can be a real bi… er… mean spirit. There's no arguing with her though…

edit- Wow… nearly met with disaster with my car again. I noticed a tapping sound coming from one of my wheels, so I immediately went home to find out what it was. Turned out one of the steering rod joints was about to fail. I had just barely noticed it in time. So I biked it to the automotive store (30 minutes of walking) and got me another one.

*sigh* there goes my computer upgrade money. Oh, well… at least I can buy a new hard drive instead. And maybe get my computer diagnoses so I know whether to buy a new mainboard or video card…
last edited on Nov. 9, 2011 6:09PM
HippieVan at 6:51PM, Nov. 9, 2011
(online)
Ally Haert wrote:
Went outside today to see what kind of damage happened from our storm last night. And then I saw my neighbors house and realized just how close we came to disaster…..
My goodness, I'm glad you're alright, Ally!

All of my pets are crazy about my dog's new food. The cats keep trying to eat it, which is annoying, but I'm not too worried about it. The bad part is I've caught Romeo eating it a couple times now. What the heck, he's supposed to be a herbivore…it's bison for heaven's sake! Tomorrow I'm going to try to elevate it somehow so Buddy can still get at it but he can't. I'm worried he'll make himself sick, silly bunny.

I'm starting to feel Christmas-y. : ) I only wish I had more people to buy presents for.
seventy2 at 8:00PM, Nov. 9, 2011
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
I'm starting to feel Christmas-y. : ) I only wish I had more people to buy presents for.

ahem…cough cough
facara
last edited on Nov. 9, 2011 8:03PM
Lonnehart at 12:55AM, Nov. 10, 2011
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
All of my pets are crazy about my dog's new food. The cats keep trying to eat it, which is annoying, but I'm not too worried about it. The bad part is I've caught Romeo eating it a couple times now. What the heck, he's supposed to be a herbivore…it's bison for heaven's sake! Tomorrow I'm going to try to elevate it somehow so Buddy can still get at it but he can't. I'm worried he'll make himself sick, silly bunny.

Yikes… what's in that pet food you're feeding your dog? Reminds me of that one Far Side cartoon where a cow was eating a steak and the other cow asked him what they tasted like…

Ahhh… I love my old case. Never thought I'd manage to clean out all that dust it got while it was in storage. Especially the case fans. LED lit and stuff, and I have a nice clear port on the side which shows off the guts of the box, lit in red, blue, yellow, and green light. And the front of the case with two LED strips on either side of the drive bays/power and resetswitches. Now if only I can get that rust off the top…
Ozoneocean at 8:14AM, Nov. 10, 2011
(online)
Heya Hippie, I've heard that a lotta pet food is cut with cereals… (even the meaty stuff) I don't know how true that is, but I just checked some packets of meaty catfood and it lists flour as an ingredient… I think that dogfoods typically have a lot more vegetable stuff in them, so maybe that's why bunny likes it?
I think that bunnies can eat meat occasionally… I know that sometimes they'll eat their babies. So it probably won't hurt him. Too much. ^_^

——–

Yay, I just put together the most awesome playlist! Every track is a fricken killer! Love it… Really gets me energised:

Tenacious D - Tribute
Murray Head - Jesus christ superstar
Supertramp - give a little bit
loudon wainwright - grey in l.A.
Erik Satie - Gymnopedie No.1 - Piano
Mango & Simon Iddol - glitch punx (The Young Punx VS The Glitch Mob)
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Jethro Tull - Living In The Past
The IT Crowd theme
Foxy Shazam - unstoppable
Foxy Shazam - Oh Lord
Foxy Shazam - A Dangerous Man
Foxy Shazam - I Like It
Foxy Shazam - Wanna-Be Angel
Pomplemoose - Lady Gaga's Telephone
John Paul Jones - Seattle 1999 - When The Levee Breaks
Peaches - Billionaire
Led Zeppelin - When The Levee Breaks
Led Zeppelin - Four Sticks
The Young Punx ft. Amanda Palmer & Peaches - Map Of Tasmania
The Rolling Stones - Under My Thumb
The Rolling Stones - Jumpin' Jack Flash
The Rolling Stones - Street Fighting Man
Tracy Bonham - Big Red Heart
Joanna Newsom - This Side of the Blue
Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Massive Attack - Inertia Creeps
Elastica - Stutter
Veruca Salt - Seether
Veruca Salt - Volcano Girls
J.J. Cale - Cocaine
J.J. Cale - Cherry
Urge Overkill - Positive Bleeding
last edited on Nov. 10, 2011 8:18AM
HippieVan at 10:48AM, Nov. 10, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Heya Hippie, I've heard that a lotta pet food is cut with cereals… (even the meaty stuff) I don't know how true that is, but I just checked some packets of meaty catfood and it lists flour as an ingredient… I think that dogfoods typically have a lot more vegetable stuff in them, so maybe that's why bunny likes it?
I think that bunnies can eat meat occasionally… I know that sometimes they'll eat their babies. So it probably won't hurt him. Too much. ^_^
That would make sense, but Buddy has allergies so his food is grain-free. It has some fruits and veg farther down the ingredients list, so maybe it does taste good for him.
I think it might be because we used to free-feed Romeo, but as he's older(and getting a wee bit chubby) we've started limiting his pellets. He's quite greedy.

I started reading A Clockwork Orange today, which I've been meaning to read for ages. It's really good so far, but very intense. I only got to about page 15 before I had to take a break from it.
gullas at 11:55AM, Nov. 10, 2011
(offline)
So I guess it's Denmark tomorrow.
See you guys next tuesday.
seventy2 at 1:46PM, Nov. 10, 2011
(online)
I want to go to denmark. not really, but that sounds pretty cool.
——
——-
——-
how do i go to sleep without the nightmares?
facara
Ozoneocean at 5:06PM, Nov. 10, 2011
(online)
@Seventy- pills :)

————
I regularly read Dilbert.com…
There's this nutjob that regularly comments there called “bio”. His comments on the comic for the 9th are freakin' hilarious:

“Hi my boss! Sounds great your promotion.
Actually I am trying to figure the full-body lying…Is it what I imagine? if yes, you have the pills to treat it.”

“I am still waiting your treatment my sweet doctor :)”

“Hey sweet! I will explain you later the gene expression-
neurotransmissors- immune system activation pathways. It has kept my
memory!!!!!”

“What does it mean?

Cain's Inexplicably High Polling

YOU ARE CRAZY!!!!! I WANT TO HEAR YOU FACE BY FACE NOW. ANSWER MY E-MAIL.”

“IF YOU DO NOT ANSWER ME…..FORGET ME !!!!!”

“YOU NEED A THERAPIST SCOTT!!!!!”

–All those are separate comment from the 9th. That guy is gold ^_^
herio at 12:34AM, Nov. 11, 2011
(online)
my arm has been missed up for 7 weeks there is early moment where my arm wont hurt!!!
its only now i been able to draw and work again and draw the comic though i have to stop befor my arm hurts gain and i cant draw

last edited on Nov. 11, 2011 12:37AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon