Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, and wildebeest needs
Ally Haert at 3:02PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
There's some credence to your contagious hospitals theory, Bravo! I had to take my son to the emergency ward today. He placed his hand on a burner on the stove that I had just turned off. He has third degree burns. They released us to go home (thank God we didn't have to stay overnight).

The burns are so extensive he'll need corrective plastic surgery for the next ten years of his life. They said that the level of burns his hand withstood was so extensive that the scarring would inhibit the growth of the skin on his hand unless we take him in for regular scheduled skin grafts.

And now for the next month I have to figure out some way to prevent my three year old energetic and active son from using his left hand in any way or ever getting it wet. Talk about an excersize in futility!

I'm telling you what guys, I've had about enough of 2011. Give me back some of that 2010!
“No one can go back to start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending,” Maria Ross.
ayesinback at 3:43PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
@Ally - OH!!! I'm so sorry to read about your son.

agree 200% - I'll be celebrating the end of 2011 more than most end-o-years.

So good point, Roku - Secret Santa Time. Are you volunteering? you did a bang up job getting the 24-hour comic fire lit.

* if anyone thinks this is as ironic as I do, please note that I'm sleeping a lot and she's got a wacky school schedule *

just listened to the quackcast. Empress Niccea's reign continues? :D
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on Nov. 15, 2011 4:49PM
gullas at 4:47PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(offline)
hey ayes, heard you got better so I decided to post it here…

yup. I'm like that…

*edit*
@ally- woa , that's bad… but at least it will get better so.
last edited on Nov. 16, 2011 11:01AM
ayesinback at 4:50PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
gullas wrote:
hey ayes, heard you got better so I decided to post it here…

yup. I'm like that…
you Are like that. Thanks :)
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Niccea at 5:40PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(offline)
rokulily wrote:
just wondering if its too early to start getting the dd secret santa started if anyone is interested in that sort of thing
Was going to put the sign ups up this weekend. Unless you were interested in running it roku…I only did it for the past year cause Blkknight couldn't.
last edited on Nov. 15, 2011 6:13PM
kyupol at 6:24PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
Why do I keep on running into people who are demon-possessed?
Lonnehart at 7:18PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
kyupol wrote:
What sort of people? I've yet to run into those. Sure I've run into a few crazies, meth addicts, drunks, belligerent people looking for a fight, men who hit their wives to keep them in line because “it's tradition in their culture”, etc… but I have yet to run into someone who calls himself Legion and proclaiming himself to be “we are many”…
A Reaver at 8:08PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
Im back.

Shiny new comic.
rokulily at 8:16PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
Niccea wrote:
rokulily wrote:
just wondering if its too early to start getting the dd secret santa started if anyone is interested in that sort of thing
Was going to put the sign ups up this weekend. Unless you were interested in running it roku…I only did it for the past year cause Blkknight couldn't.

well then, i'll totally do this then
A Reaverwrote:
Im back.
just in time for secret santa!
A Reaver at 8:19PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
A Reaverwrote:
Im back.
just in time for secret santa!
I dont think Im gonna participate this time.
We'll see.
Now that Ive announced my return I can start complaining.
I've shaved my head and am on new meds for depression. They make things worse.
Fluoxetine, yay.

Shiny new comic.
last edited on Nov. 15, 2011 8:22PM
Niccea at 8:28PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(offline)
You really don't have to start it up if you don't want to, rokulily. It usually starts in the last couple weeks of November.
A Reaver at 8:45PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
Niccea wrote:
You really don't have to start it up if you don't want to, rokulily. It usually starts in the last couple weeks of November.
In that case count me in.

Shiny new comic.
rokulily at 8:48PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)

Niccea wrote:

i figure if i can start this early people will have more time to get it done… in theory. anywho… sign up here!
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/174790/
last edited on Nov. 15, 2011 8:53PM
Ozoneocean at 9:00PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
kyupol wrote:
Because you're actually in hell! Ooga-booga! o_O

——-

Summer's not even here yet and people have started to go mad with the fuxing air conditioners. Open windows are SO much better at regulating the heat than an overweight menopausal woman with her hand on the air-conditioning controls.
Office life… -_-

One thing that always warms my heart though is when I walk into the kitchen area and see the chopping boards leaning on an angle against the wall…
It means that some poor fool has once again fallen for my childish prank: last year I shifted the side table out from the wall just enough so the gap was wide enough for the boards to slip between, but not be very noticeable.
Then I leaned the boards back in their usual place against the wall, balancing their bases on the very edge of the gap between the table and wall… Then put all the coffee and tea stuff hard against them, so all it'd take is a slight bump to any of that stuff and the boards would fall onto the floor behind the table (they're very hard to get out from there).

And time and again people fall for it- the boards being stacked at an angle is proof- they do that to try and stop them falling down again. None of them have worked out that if they shifted the table closer to the wall then there'd be no gap for the things to fall through.

It's small things like this that amuse me so. :)
kyupol at 9:20PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
kyupol wrote:

What sort of people? I've yet to run into those. Sure I've run into a few crazies, meth addicts, drunks, belligerent people looking for a fight, men who hit their wives to keep them in line because “it's tradition in their culture”, etc… but I have yet to run into someone who calls himself Legion and proclaiming himself to be “we are many”…
Trust me… the latest encounters with demon-possessed individuals are enough for me to create a new sequel to MAG-ISA… o_o

bravo1102 at 11:59PM, Nov. 15, 2011
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Summer's not even here yet and people have started to go mad with the fuxing air conditioners. Open windows are SO much better at regulating the heat than an overweight menopausal woman with her hand on the air-conditioning controls.
Office life… -_-

At least you're not married to her. I am. I just layer if someone must have the A/C blasting because their body temperature and physiology is off kilter.

I remember the times in the field when the female would be in a sweater, field jacket and parka and the Special Fores just had a turtle neck under hisBDU shirt and the instructor still had his sleeves rolled up. So what is the uniform of the day?This isn't boot camp, whatever keeps you warm.
A Reaver at 12:51AM, Nov. 16, 2011
(online)
Im making a cartoon about an unemployed elf and his human buddy. Dave.
Ive had this idea for years and now all I see when I look at the concept is adventure time or regular show… I just feel like Ive ripped them off in advance.

Shiny new comic.
Froggtreecomics at 3:20AM, Nov. 16, 2011
(offline)
America is going to break Doctor Who.
*sob*
Ozoneocean at 3:53AM, Nov. 16, 2011
(online)
Eh, they already did that. Dr Who never recovered. :(
Froggtreecomics at 4:55AM, Nov. 16, 2011
(offline)
It's never been Shakespeare, always charmingly low budget and wobbly. (The ‘classic’ series (pre-Mcgann) today is viewed through rose tinted glasses I fear.)

But.. the words “Radical Overhaul” from the man (David Yates) charged with a Doctor Who movie (ick ick) are alarming.
I wonder what TV show they will adapt next.. I hope it's Eastenders.. set in an American High School.
Ozoneocean at 5:32AM, Nov. 16, 2011
(online)
Naw, my glasses are clear. The original series is pure gold classic: Led Zeppelin meets Cream, Hendrix and The Who, all lubed up and ready for action!

The later stuff is much like modern pop-music: sure it's slick and pretty, but just a little too pretty, too over-produced, too primped, preened and glammed up for the cameras, while lacking real guts, body or history.

The original series rather than being cheap and cheerful and charmingly wobbly was actually creatively loose, funky, classical, evocative, interpretive, changeable, experimental… Plus, it wasn't just a place where famous actors would occasionally go to cameo, it was a place where they got their start or just earned their bread and butter between shows by the RSP.
The calibre of genuine tallent that went through that series even in bit-parts was astronomical.

I say that the “wobbly sets-cheapness-low budget-rose tinted glasses” stuff is a bit of a myth that's been perpetuated due to foggy memories.
Plus the fact that most of it was filmed on video tape makes it look superficially less slick than it actually was.

But that's just me. ^_^
Froggtreecomics at 5:41AM, Nov. 16, 2011
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
I say that the “wobbly sets-cheapness-low budget-rose tinted glasses” stuff is a bit of a myth that's been perpetuated due to foggy memories.

I refer the honourable gentleman to Youtube.com, that being said. Everything you mention above I see as a strength.
last edited on Nov. 16, 2011 5:43AM
Ozoneocean at 6:53AM, Nov. 16, 2011
(online)
Most of what I mentioned was about the original series, so which parts do you mean you see as strengths? :)

Yup, I checked Youtube and it jibes with exactly what I say- the wobbly set/cheapness is an exaggeration and rarely true. The set designers for Dr Who were absolute consummate pros who when they weren't working on the show were doing feature films, or high end BBC series about the Roman empire, Arthurian legend ect. Much of the shows were shot on location in historical manor houses, mines, quarries, and of course in well dressed studios…
They had the same pros designing the monsters and the costumes in general. Nothing about it was amateur. Even the writers were the cream of the British SciFi crop.

The biggest failing of the shows is the video taping, and the overly brightly lit sets due to the simpler video camera tech in use back then.

But I'd also say that the cheap looking post-production digital effects and cheap looking 3D monsters that they use now actually look less real and convincing than what they used to do the same job in the past…

But that's just me ^_^
Froggtreecomics at 8:44AM, Nov. 16, 2011
(offline)
Hell's bells Ozone, you come in here with your objectivity and proving things with facts. Quashing my nonsense and hearsay as here I sit, a movie news reading, salty teared mess.

We must focus in on the thrust of what I am trying to moan about! The old series was swell and that but.. they are going to make a movie, a movie that will involve radical transformation.

Radical… andtransformation. I feartransformation, Galvatron was terrifying.

I like my Saturday night bumbling timelord as nature intended. If the Doctor is made into a McDonalds happy meal, Simon Cowell will run unchecked through the schedules. Unchecked and amock.
Ozoneocean at 8:58AM, Nov. 16, 2011
(online)
Yes, they will make any new movie version of Dr look wrong, I agree with you!

I also thank you very much for the compliment about my “Objectivity”, but it's undeserved. I am highly subjective and chauvinistic about my love of the original series and any objectivity I seem to have is all deliberate pretence to try and make my position sound more convincing.
skoolmunkee at 9:06AM, Nov. 16, 2011
(offline)
I'm so sorry to hear about your son, Ally. That sounds like it was terrible, I hope everything goes well for him. It sounds like you're in pretty good humor about it though. :]

It's been so hard to come back to England's weather after Idaho's. Idaho is colder but it's the crisp dry brilliant sunshine kind of cold. England is slightly warmer but it's the damp chilly fog-wrapped solid grey clouds sky kind of cold, the sun's only up from 9 til 4. I feel like all my energy has just vanished. This happens every winter, I just shut down til like February. :[
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Lonnehart at 12:56PM, Nov. 16, 2011
(online)
I've always wondered what Female Shepard was like. And after watching this, I hope I never meet someone like her in some dark alley…

Mass Effect 2: Shepard is a *****

HippieVan at 3:44PM, Nov. 16, 2011
(online)
Somehow, even though my boss has hired two new employees, I'm still the one who ends up taking shifts when people can't come in. I don't mind giving up my days off when someone is sick or has an appointment or whatever, but one of the new girls has asked me to take a shift at least once a week since she started. She told us she hired the new girls so that we'd have more flexibility, but I still feel like if I got sick or something there wouldn't be anyone else to take my shift most of the time. Which is stressful on days like today when I wake up feeling like garbage(for no apparent reason).

Ayes: Sorry about your son's injury. We've gone through similar things with my little sister, although not nearly so bad. She dislocated her arm when she was just a toddler and we had to keep her away from monkey bars etc for a long time. It's really hard to keep a kid from playing and roughhousing, so she dislocated it a handful of times in the next few years.
And then, a couple years later, a dog bit her on the face and we had to keep her away from water…right in the middle of summer, too.
She's none the worse for all that, though…I think it was always more stress for my parents than it was for my sister.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Niccea at 6:28PM, Nov. 16, 2011
(offline)
Sorry anyone paying attention to the awards. But DD was down way too long for me to get stuff done for tomorrow. So things may be late.
Ozoneocean at 9:29PM, Nov. 16, 2011
(online)
@Hippie- it's Ally Haert's boy, not Ayes ;)
I too hope the recovery is not to onerous on the little chap! :(

Oh gods, so booooorred a work… I have two projects to work on but since my brain and body are so amazingly tired I can't bring myself to concentrate on them. I'm just waiting out the minutes till I can go home and have a nap.

Thank goodness I did all my DD stuff earlier in the week so I don't have anything to do for the site… My feature and newspost will go up by themselves and I can go straight to bed for a while.

I have to wonder weather I have a physiological problem of some sort. I've never been this tried before as I have been for the past few weeks, even when I've not had enough sleep and not eaten enough, and I AM getting enough sleep (pretty much) AND eating enough, but in the afternoons I'm frequently ready to collapse. -Like I've been doing hard physical labour for hours…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon