Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The duck's 12 step program. Post here if you found a bug/design error.
skoolmunkee at 4:38AM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
Sorry if I'm not able to reply to everybody, my current tactic is:

If it's a bug, I can't really say anything about it, but it's good to have it so it can be added to the list
If it's a misperception or question, I try to answer it
If it's a general complaint or comment, leave it be (unless it encompasses a misperception or question)

KDog wrote:
My comic's header image, background and comments have all vanished. Will these be reinstated?
The header image and background you'll have to reupload using the page tools. For the background image, expand the “My comics” in the sidebar and visit your comic page. Click the “activate layout mode” link in the top-right of the header bar, and you should see new options pop up. (You may have to upload the background image into your image locker first- which will appear in the topbar once you've activated layout mode.) Note that in some browsers it seems that the layout mode is buggy. For the header image, in “my comics” click on “edit” and it should be on that first page. Again this… might be buggy for some people.

The comments should NOT be gone and I'm worried that they are! However any comments which were simply “5”s were not migrated over since the new system doesn't use a numeric rating system. So are all your user comments really gone?
darth_paul wrote:

No, you couldn't customize it, I'll admit that, but I know that on old site the time would display accurately according to the time zone that I was in, which used to be central, but now that I've moved I'm in the eastern zone and everything is in pacific. There may have be something automatic in the old code which isn't there now. It's not a big deal, but it's a bit disorienting.
No, I'm sure it didn't do that because I'm in GMT and it's never displayed times relative to where I am. For a long time DD was on a CST server and displayed those times, but not long ago moved to a PST one (and I can't remember if they moved the displayed server time to CST to match the old site or not….). Is it possible that's clouding the issue?

Salsa wrote:
Oh and another thing.
Nice job breaking the forums, now I have a word limit I guess, either that or you just truncate any post that mentions Comcifury.
Should I start calling the admins the “Thought-Police”?
I've noticed that if the quote formatting in a post messes up, it often truncates or cuts chunks out of my post in odd ways (based on the css formatting going on behind the scenes). It could be that. If you edit your post and view the HTML, is everything you put still there?

These quoting problems are infuriating, I can't get any of my multi-reply posts to look right.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
skoolmunkee at 4:58AM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
Just to reiterate that Kinh and I are watching here and Get Satisfaction and compiling all the bugs and stuff people are reporting, so anything anyone puts here isn't being ignored.
fukujinzuke wrote:
Ah, okay. I knew they were cutting out the flash, but didn't know they were cutting out animated gifs too. boo.
The image compression and conversion to jpgs was unintended, that should not have happened and they are investigating it. It's a high priority for them.
They weren't really “cutting” flash but they weren't able to get it working on their codebase yet. I guess there is some reason swf files don't work on a Python site, I dunno. We did convince them that people need to be able to keep and upload swfs but they couldn't get that working in time for the launch. It's in the works, dunno about the priority.
seventy2 wrote:
when this happens

Somewhere along the line, The code is broken and causes misalignment.
GoogleChrome 12.0.74
Windows 7
It does that for me, and you know what? I think it only does it after Salsa's posts. This bears investigation. Salsa, where are you?
hpkomic wrote:
I accidentally deleted a comic of mine, but I am unable to rebuild it because every time I try to enter the title using the “create” feature I get that the name still exists. I am unsure if this is a bug or not.
Which one are you trying to reinstate? Cosmic Dash or Panel By Panel? You know what I will REINSTATE THEM BOTH FOR YOU awwww yeah (just re-delete whichever one you don't want). So yeah that should explain why you couldn't re-use the title.
Hahahaha! I'm sorry, that looks awful, but it's also really funny. :]
MrHades: There is not a guide yet, no. One is underway but most of the “how to do stuff” isn't there yet, partly because when I was working on the document the feature didn't work without real site data, or I just haven't had time. it's time consuming. I'm chipping away at it slowly but it will be some time unless I can find a faster way.

Some more people reported errors when trying to upload new comic pages:http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/169990/

I cannot load page one of this thread, but I can load page 2 onward:
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/147512/?page=1 page one
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/147512/?page=2 page two

IT'S OLD BATMAN
peterfrid at 4:59AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
whilst trying to view comics this comes up
Environment:

Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://www.drunkduck.com/Busty_Solar/
Django Version: 1.3
Python Version: 2.6.5
Installed Applications:
['django.contrib.auth',
'django.contrib.contenttypes',
'django.contrib.sessions',
'django.contrib.sites',
'django.contrib.admin',
'django.contrib.humanize',
'django.contrib.webdesign',
'tinymce',
'smileys',
'oembed',
'pagination',
'tagging',
'users',
'uservideos',
'trophies',
'videos',
'news',
'messages',
'podcasts',
'corp',
'tutorials',
'forums',
'comics',
'search',
'comments',
'ratings',
'duckmarks',
'tweets',
'requests',
'layouts',
'analytics',
'imagelocker',
'subpages',
'south']
Installed Middleware:
('django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware',
'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware',
'django.middleware.csrf.CsrfViewMiddleware',
'django.middleware.csrf.CsrfResponseMiddleware',
'django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware',
'django.contrib.messages.middleware.MessageMiddleware',
'pagination.middleware.PaginationMiddleware')

Traceback:
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py” in get_response
111. response = callback(request, *callback_args, **callback_kwargs)
File “/home/duck/public/drunkduck/comics/views.py” in comic_page
302. if not is_mature(request.user) and comic.rating == ‘A’:
File “/home/duck/public/drunkduck/users/templatetags/user_tags.py” in is_mature
14. diff = date.today() - birthday
Exception Type: TypeError at /Busty_Solar/
Exception Value: unsupported operand type(s) for -: ‘datetime.date’ and ‘NoneType’
skoolmunkee at 5:03AM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
Actually I think that problem that seventy2 posted a picture of which I said might be somehow caused by Salsa… is actually caused by broken quote formatting. I managed to make the posts start doing that “blocking out to the right” thing in the post I just made, but the text editor had screwed up the quoting (hiding 95% of my post). I clicked back a few times and redid the post as new (rather than edit the existing one and mess it up further), then deleted the messed up one, and now this page is super messed up. Whoops. :] And the ‘fixed’ post is still messing up the quoting at the end, hiding the last couple of sentences. Here's what those last lines should say:
I cannot load page one of this thread, but I can load page 2 onward:
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/147512/?page=1 page one
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/147512/?page=2 page two

Starting to hate this text editor.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 18, 2011 5:05AM
Loud_G at 5:11AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
The Subpage Feature does not seem to be functioning.
I have copied html into the box and it just prints the html as text.
I have also clicked the HTML button and pasted the html in the pop-up, but when I'm done it doesn't save it. It converts my html into two broken html statements that don't do anything.
Also the subpages does seem to create links on the main comic page.
Secondly, how in the world are you supposed to get a title/header image on your comic???
I've looked at the tools, but they only offer colors for the header. The only image is the background image (which tool doesn't always show up unless you scroll down and then scroll back up)
Find out what George is up to:

Go! Visit George or he may have to eat you!*
*Disclaimer: George may or may not eat violators depending on hunger level and scarcity of better tasting prey.
Hurricane Ivan at 6:01AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
Gentlefolk who have a problem with a pageful of code on an image upload, I have discovered a solution! change your image format to jpeg (not jpg) and it will work. or at least, it did for me. I don't know how or why, but it is worth a shot.
With luck it should solve the whole problem with the “Django settings”, whatever they are.
skoolmunkee at 6:11AM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
Loud_G wrote:
Secondly, how in the world are you supposed to get a title/header image on your comic???
I dunno about the other thing you mentioned, but the comic header image isn't in the same place as the layout tools (which is silly). To do a header image you need to go into the comic control panel (look at my comics on the right, click edit). It should be on that page there. You upload it like would do a thumbnail.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Stig Hemmer at 6:23AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
I think it would have been a better idea to NOT collect all problems into one forum thread. Reading through seven pages to see if a problem whas already been reported is not fun.
Product Placement at 6:40AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
skoolmunkee wrote:
Sorry if I'm not able to reply to everybody, my current tactic is:

If it's a bug, I can't really say anything about it, but it's good to have it so it can be added to the list
If it's a misperception or question, I try to answer it
If it's a general complaint or comment, leave it be (unless it encompasses a misperception or question)

Another thing you could do is take over my first post in this thread, using your godlike admin powers and post all the reported bugs that have been mentioned so far, thus saving newcomers from treading this entire thread to see if their complaints have already been brought up.
Edit: Geeeeeeeeeeze. Quoting posts are mayor headaches. It should not take me 15 minutes of double checking HTML codes to do it properly. I've given up twice already, from sheer frustration, to quote someone and am not hopeful that it's gonna work this time.
Another edit: Well… what do you know? This was achieved, not by using the normal WYSIWYG text editor but by clicking the HTML tag and writing the post from there. The text editor requires an overhaul; it's useless in its current state.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 18, 2011 7:50AM
Hawk at 7:49AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
Loud_G wrote:
The Subpage Feature does not seem to be functioning.
I have copied html into the box and it just prints the html as text.
I have also clicked the HTML button and pasted the html in the pop-up, but when I'm done it doesn't save it. It converts my html into two broken html statements that don't do anything.
I've looked at the tools, but they only offer colors for the header. The only image is the background image (which tool doesn't always show up unless you scroll down and then scroll back up)
I think the subpages are intended to be glorified forum posts… like, you could make an “About” page or “Cast” page with some text and pictures. I don't suspect they would take full layout customization away from us yet allow full HTML for the subpages.
Doesn't matter right now, though. Readers can't access those subpages in any way I've been able to find.
Ozoneocean at 8:36AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
There's nothing under my name to indicate I'm an admin user, nothing under mod names to indicate their status either.
Genejoke at 8:41AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
There's nothing under my name to indicate I'm an admin user, nothing under mod names to indicate their status either.
Perhaps your not anymore….
It still seems very inconsistent, one minute somethign works the next it doesn't.
The latest updates seem to be wrong half the time as well.
usedbooks at 8:44AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
I didn't read the whole thread, but this is my list of basic issues right now:

~“Links” aren't added anywhere. I tried to make links. Don't know what they are supposed to do. I was hoping they'd be on my actual comic, but they aren't.

~Image library doesn't work. When I try to upload anything, it simply doesn't. I had to use eternal images for my site design.

~The “favorites” drop down at the top of the page (when on comic pages) drops down fine, but it closes again if I try to scroll over any of the comics near the end of the list.This is a real pain in the butt since I now can't travel between my favorites at all and have to navigate other routes just to find the list.

~Also, I hate the alphabetical order. Can we do “latest update” order by default? I guess it'snot a big deal, but if it stays alphabetical, I might have to remove the older/finished comics from my favorites for easy navigation. I don'treally want to do that, though.

~“Last update” is severely messed up. It doesn't register the new update of preuploaded pages but instead registers any change to the comic description or layout. That makes finding new updates practically impossible. :P

~I wanted to move pages in my comic (basically moving filler back between chapters, which I do regularly), but the up and down arrows do nothing. When I click “V” the page reloads but the order of comic pages has not changed.

EDIT:
What is up with the forum and author comments? When I type something up,it changes all the line breaks and things so I have to edit everything after posting it to make it legible. That's pretty darn frustrating…
last edited on July 18, 2011 8:46AM
El Cid at 8:54AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
Perhaps your not anymore….
It still seems very inconsistent, one minute somethign works the next it doesn't.
The latest updates seem to be wrong half the time as well.
I think Genejoke's the new admin.

That update bug… it seems to list your comic as “updated” every time you modify a page. I've been going back and fixing all the broken links in my pages, so my comic's pretty much constantly been listed as “updated” even though I've only added one new page so far.
last edited on July 18, 2011 8:57AM
Genejoke at 9:05AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
Oh hell no. who would want to be an admin here at the moment? that's got to be a major stress.
Stig Hemmer at 9:39AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
/home/duck/public/drunkduck/users/templatetags/user_tags.py in is_mature

7.@register.filter
8.def is_mature(user):

9. if user.is_authenticated():

10. try:

11. birthday = user.profile.birthday

12. except:

13. return False

14. diff = date.today() - birthday

15. age = diff.days / 365

16. if age >= 18:

17. return True

18. return False

Move the “diff = ” and “age =” inside the “try:” section.
last edited on July 18, 2011 9:40AM
Grognard at 9:45AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
Please ignore if already reported.
BTW - if there is a search i am blind and cant see it
Win7 IE8 During main page load
TemplateSyntaxError

Exception Value:
Caught TypeError while rendering: unsupported operand type(s) for -: ‘datetime.date’ and ‘NoneType’

Exception Location:
/home/duck/public/drunkduck/users/templatetags/user_tags.py in is_mature, line 14

Python Executable:
/home/duck/public/drunkduck/

Python Version:

Python Path:
['/home/duck/public/drunkduck',
‘.’,
‘',
’/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pip-0.8.3-py2.6.egg',
‘/usr/lib/python2.6’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/plat-linux2’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-old’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL’,
‘/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6’,
‘/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages’,
‘/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg-info’,
‘/home/duck/public/drunkduck’]

Server time:
Mon, 18 Jul 2011 09:38:40 -0700
Stig Hemmer at 10:05AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
To all users: There is currently a severe bug that crashes the main page and all comic pages. (But not the forum, yay!)
To get around this bug you need to LOG OUT. The way to log out when you can't access the site is to DELETE YOUR COOKIES.
Of course, you can't read adult comics when not logged in. Nor post to the forum, which means I have to delete my cookies again…
srhdt at 10:21AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
plymayer wrote:
At this point I can't really do anything with the comics.

Can't read them (of any rating). Can't access my own (so there's no way to know if I will have the same uploading/formating/etc problems most others are having).

What I can do is send and receive PQs and post to the forums. Others don't seem to be able to do that so it's something I guess.

I've attempted everything from Firefox, IE and Chrome.

Going to wait and see what happens. Maybe the powers that be will fix the problems soon.

I like DD and looking at the other (free) webcomic hosts, I don't want to leave. Although, like 80% of the folks here I hate the new colors. I can live with them.

Don't want to the pay site thing. I'd have to go about getting advertising etc to manage it and that would just take the fun out of it.
I just checked your profile in the admin and for some reason your birthday field was blank. This probably explains why you weren't able to access ‘A’ comics. I just manually changed your birthday to 1-1-1955, so try it now.
srhdt at 10:34AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
To answer a few questions users have brought up:

The reason it's currently showing a comic is updated whenever anything is done to that comic is because we tried setting it so that it would only show something has updated when a page was added, and the whole thing broke. So we reverted it to updating whenever anything happens to at least include page updates. We're gonna fix this once some of these bigger issues are taken care of.
Pre-loaded comics are set to go live at 1AM PST. We'll eventually add a feature to allow users to chose a time for the comic page to go live in addition to a date.
We're running some tests on the image compression issue today and will let you know what's going on with that shortly.
We are re-importing comic forums now, so they should be up soon.

Edit: Comic forums should be re-imported now. So can someone check and see if all the forum posts in a particular comic forum is showing up now?
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:46AM
I Am The 1337 Master at 10:55AM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
they're up in my forum. :)
srhdt at 11:16AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
usedbooks wrote:

~Image library doesn't work. When I try to upload anything, it simply doesn't. I had to use eternal images for my site design.

Can you give us more info so we can investigate this? What was the image type you tried to upload? File size? Browser you used? If you want to host the image somewhere and link it here, we can try uploading it ourselves as well to see if it's maybe a problem with the particular image. Additionally, I don't know if you want to do this, but you could change your password to something innocuous and then PQ me the info and I can try logging in and repeating the process.
I Am The 1337 Master at 11:23AM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
srhdt wrote:
usedbooks wrote:

Can you give us more info so we can investigate this? What was the image type you tried to upload? File size? Browser you used? If you want to host the image somewhere and link it here, we can try uploading it ourselves as well to see if it's maybe a problem with the particular image. Additionally, I don't know if you want to do this, but you could change your password to something innocuous and then PQ me the info and I can try logging in and repeating the process.
i actually got it to work a couple days ago…weird…
Tantz_Aerine at 11:33AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
srhdt, could you please check the problem I have too? I can't get thebackground image I have already uploaded in my image uploader to remain after I have saved the background settings.I hit SAVE but when I deactivate the layout mode, it reverts to background without an image.
I use google chrome.
usedbooks at 11:41AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
usedbooks wrote:

~I wanted to move pages in my comic (basically moving filler back between chapters, which I do regularly), but the up and down arrows do nothing. When I click “V” the page reloads but the order of comic pages has not changed.

Update on this. The “^” button seems to work. The “V” does not.

As for the image locker. I tried uploading a .jpg (the wallpaper) and gifs (the nav buttons). The page simply reloads and continures saying “No images yet.” I use Windows 7 and Firefox.
srhdt at 11:52AM, July 18, 2011
(online)
Tantz Aerine wrote:
srhdt, could you please check the problem I have too? I can't get thebackground image I have already uploaded in my image uploader to remain after I have saved the background settings.I hit SAVE but when I deactivate the layout mode, it reverts to background without an image.
I use google chrome.
Can you give me the url to your uploaded image? I'll try setting it as a background on my test comic. Or you can PQ me with your password and the image url and I'll try it out on your comic. Also, what browser are you using?

usedbookswrote:
As for the image locker. I tried uploading a .jpg (the wallpaper) and gifs (the nav buttons). The page simply reloads and continures saying “No images yet.” I use Windows 7 and Firefox.
Can you try it on Chrome and see if you're still having the same issue?
last edited on July 18, 2011 11:55AM
skoolmunkee at 11:57AM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
Product Placement wrote:
Another thing you could do is take over my first post in this thread, using your godlike admin powers and post all the reported bugs that have been mentioned so far, thus saving newcomers from treading this entire thread to see if their complaints have already been brought up.
That is a good idea and something I'll start working on tonight. It sounds like a formatting nightmare though. :] I think I'll need to make some cookies first.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
srhdt at 12:01PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
Test.
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/169969/#2920400
Scorpion451 at 12:14PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
Okay, I have my comic forums back,
but two of my pages still look like this:
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Greening_Wars/5296414/
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Greening_Wars/5296415/
following an edit to the author's notes on those pages.
The index seems to have lost track of them somehow;
Any chance I can get some admin-ly or whatever-ly intervention to put them back where they go?
Updates every Tuesday!

Visit my deviantArt page to see some of my artwork and what I'm up to when I'm playing the not-working-on-my-webcomic game
last edited on July 18, 2011 12:15PM
plymayer at 12:47PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
srhdt wrote:

I just checked your profile in the admin and for some reason your birthday field was blank. This probably explains why you weren't able to access ‘A’ comics. I just manually changed your birthday to 1-1-1955, so try it now.
– After a quick look most problems seem sorted. Will take a closer look tonight whe I can. Thank you for your help regardless. 1955 makes me ten years older but there is nothing wrong with not having died so…..

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon