Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Skullbie at 8:16PM, June 11, 2014
(online)
I love queen's blade! But i fast forewarded through a lot of parts. It's like some huge breast filled soap opera and you gotta find characters you like and tune out the less interesting ones.
———
My male goat injured his horn. I was watching tv and i heard a loud scream. I ran outside and he was freaking out. It looks like he pulled his horn when he got caught on something playing around. It's a nasty wound, he was bleeding around the base. Thank gid he didn't pull the horn off. (goats are different from cows - their horns are VERY sensitive and full of nerve endings)
I put some neosporin around it and gave him some generic aspirin. It's not bad enough for a vet visit…even if it was - a livestock vet would charge me 400-500 to perscribe banamine(aspirin) and put a neosporin off-brand around his horn. -_- Sigh. It's night so no flys are gonna bother him, but i'll see if I can't bandage it when its light out.
bravo1102 at 7:37AM, June 12, 2014
(offline)
Here's hoping that Queen's Blade lost something in translation. I know that most tranlated dubs are iffy so the script might actually be half-way decent in Japanese. Considering this is an absolute franchise with three seasons, multiple OVAs it proves the popularity of boobs with nipples. Trying to make up for all the anime that have all kinds of bare breasts ala Barbie. Totally smooth. Nothing. ziltch zero, nada. So how do women breastfeed? Just shapely lumps on the chest? Bare breasts, show bare breasts with intact anatomy or go with the strategic scrap of clothing, strand of hair or sunbeam, Neptune the Animation had a funny bit with the strategic sunbeams.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 has fanservice! Yuki's butt in your face, and shower sequences and a buxom nurse character. The original 1974 series had one scene with a bra and only two female characters. Now there at least four major female characters on the ship and one female Gamilar. Now at least one third of the crew is female and there's a plus-size crew woman in the crowd scenes. Oh what a difference 30 years makes.

Speaking of 30 years, Iraq two years or so after the US exits goes the way of South Vietnam two years after the US left in 1973. It's 1975 all over again. The 30 years anniversary of the PAVN invasion and reunification of Vietnam in 1975. Hopefully this time we'll be spared the embarassment of the chopper on the embassy roof.
Lonnehart at 3:50PM, June 12, 2014
(online)
I wonder…

How much trouble would I get into if I made a Star Trek Online fanwebcomic? I'm pretty sure at some point CBS will have something to say, though…

My siblings and cousins keep making jokes about how they're going to drag me off to the Philippines to find me a “proper wife”. I'm horrified at the thought of being hitched to someone I don't know. Even worse they'll shove the fact that it was one of my father's wishes (before he passed on) in my face to make me feel obligated…

I prefer a happy marriage to a woman who I have some knowledge of (and who knows me as well). And who can also bear children…

We can dream, can't we? :)
last edited on June 12, 2014 3:51PM
Skullbie at 4:00PM, June 12, 2014
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Neptune the Animation had a funny bit with the strategic sunbeams.
Have you played the ps3 game, neptunia V? Funniest shit I've played since ever. Even the premise is hilarious.
Speaking of video games…i am PUMPED for dragon age inquisition! The main quest is 50 hours alone and the customization options are elder scrolls level(you can also pick between american and british voices)
Ozoneocean at 10:19PM, June 12, 2014
(online)
I agree, nippled boobs are better, same with nipples on male chests and genitals on male and females as well. I strongly advocate clever concelment if they're not allowed to show the area, that's way better than showing a bizare bare patch- you ramp things up to uncanny valley territory then very quickly. It doesn't matter that the characters are only human in an abstract sense; when you remove bits from them that should be there is produces a monsterous effect.

I will say that Princess blade is very good in that regard! They don't show groins, they go for clever concelment,

I hope you guys don't mind the Wildfire comic ads too much, it's a replacement background image while we promote a Wowio comic… Part of the compromises we have to go through in oder to move ahead with this slllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooowwwwwww site control transfer.
Lonnehart at 11:28PM, June 12, 2014
(online)
And now… two things I didn't think could go together. Star Trek Online (the current Planet Risa summer event) and “The Macarena”… or whatever that is…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5_9Gv0gbgAll this talk of console gaming makes me want to jump back in. Too bad I can't afford the XBox One or PS4 just yet. And at the moment I'm not seeing the need to get one with their current libraries…
Ironscarf at 3:12AM, June 13, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
I hope you guys don't mind the Wildfire comic ads too much, it's a replacement background image while we promote a Wowio comic… Part of the compromises we have to go through in oder to move ahead with this slllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooowwwwwww site control transfer.
I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it - it was blending in was my desktop foliage. I always have a landscape, something with trees in it and a horizon to look at - without that illusion of depth I get this terrible sense of being trapped in a room and staring at four walls.
Ozoneocean at 5:49AM, June 13, 2014
(online)
Mine is always art from Pinky TA, so I have the illusion I'm trapped in my comic…
Only figurativley though- I look at the art and think about how much I really should be making MORE of it and wondering how I ever drew that well in the first place… and secretetly cursing the past me for being such a showoff and for rubbing present me's face in his artwork.
We're not on speaking terms.

That gives me an interesting idea though… When this WIldfire promo is over, we can occassionally use our own custom backgrounds for DD. People could come up with nice pro backgrounds for the site to use. Maybe there could be a monthly competition? People submit their pieces and everyone jugdes which is best?
bravo1102 at 2:54PM, June 13, 2014
(offline)
Wildfire ads are much better than the pop-up take over your screen Ford ads I was getting for a while. Comic ads on a comic site. How appropriate. Better than an ad for a pick-up truck.

Skullbie: Never played Ps myself, but a co-worker discussing the game was how I came across the anime. Magical girl animes can be fun though.

Battle on Titan is great in concept and art but has some huge technological holes that bug the piss out of me. It's the old creator coming up with “something super cool!!!” (the manuver gear) and forgetting more mundane applications of that technology which would make “something super cool” totally unnecessary. Compressed gas shooting a pitots with cannons and HE rounds would lead to explosive tipped harpoons fired by compresed air not a system of gear for guys to fly around like spiderman. But it's super cool and is the only way to fight the titans. Let's forget crossbows or ballistae that would easily penetrate the neck and knock-out that bit on the back of the neck to kill the things. And why doesn't the Survey Corps have field artillery?

But the manuver gear is just so cool.
Skullbie at 8:16PM, June 13, 2014
(online)
There's a kitty outside. It's too friendly to be a stray….but im weak. I fed it. I can tell dogs to go away, but when it comes to cats I have no spine…i even let him inside for a bit. (he hissed at my cat and then i told him to beat it) Now he's sitting on the porch cleaning himself. My parents are weak too they rushed out at 8pm to pet it even though we have two indoor cats haha
Ozoneocean at 9:31PM, June 13, 2014
(online)
Cats are sacred. I can't get out of bed right now because of the big purry one on top of me.

@Bravo- I thought exactly the same thing. It killed the suspension of disbelief for me.
They have the time and effort to make walls as big as sky scrapers, AND they have cannons, AND they have the tech to make gas propelled grappling hooks… But they never put those skills together? Never just decided to make huge fucking cannons?
Instead they chose a way harder, more dangerous method to fight the titans? WHY? Are they all imbeciles?

Attack on Titan is an example of bad writing in that respect:
You want to use your cool concept in a story, well that's fine, but you also need a logical framework that supports it- implicitly, not explicitly; you don't need to explain it, just make it obvious through the story setup.
-They should have removed all the cannons and anything related to guns, so we just imagine they don't have the tech.
-With siege weaponry that's easier because those fire too slow to hit moving targets accurately.
-With the gas propelled stuff I suppose they could just show the obvious limitations there; you can only propelled things so far and fast in gas pressure alone, and its much harder to do with bigger projectiles.
Ozoneocean at 4:08AM, June 14, 2014
(online)
Speaking of logic fails in anime… and being a huge dork about it…

I started watching Black Lagoon, which is a great action series, with a lot of hollywood style improbable stunts, which I won't go into. I did wonder why their massive anti-tank rifle was ineffective against a Hind 24A though, should've been an ideal tool.

This Jappanese salleryman, boring bussiness type fellow finds himself joing a priratical mercenary crew working out of South East Asia. He has this thing in that he refuses to “dress the part” and instead sticks with his ugly white short sleaves busines shirt, tie, and suit trousers.
No way.
Those trousers would be ripped to hell in the first week of living that way. Grubby, stinky, wrinkled, stained, and torn. Likewise with the shirt!
For that outsit to work, even in a nice clean city, you have to have spares and clean the stuff constantly, and ot be in an environment where you're crawling around sharp, smelly, grease covered machinary, EVER.

But then I do two comics where ladies dress rather improbably on occasion…
Skullbie at 7:45PM, June 14, 2014
(online)
So 22 jump street has replaced topgun as the gayest movie on earth, they literally did a topgun reference in the end credits. There's too many moments to list but holey moley, one every ten minutes maybe. It got old after the mid-point so i kind of wished they'd have just went ‘yes they’re gay' or found another schtick.
Also i see now early showings are the key to success. I went to see how to train your dragon 2 midnight release…three people in the theatre. Quiet, no children, serene, awesome. Go today and there's a line out the door waiting for the movie with a million kids! Haha yeah have fun in that movie!
bravo1102 at 8:00AM, June 15, 2014
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
And why doesn't the Survey Corps have field artillery?

Made it to the end of the first season and the Survey Corps did have field artillery, which they use to trap the female titan with grapling hooks. No, no, no look at what Gustavus Adolphus did with galloper guns! Come on people. Mobile field artillery with the manuever gear swords would make mincemeat out of the titans too. One hit shattering something important to immobilize the titan and the guys with the swords go in and take out the neck. Move those guns as fast as those guys with the manuever gear!

All that being said I can hardly wait for the third season. I want to see just what titans are. After the OVA-01 tease with one talking and burying a dead human I'm past the technological holes and want to see the twists of the origins of the titans. I'm leaning toward a biological warfare population control weapon gone horribly wrong.
(children of Ymir? Wait they're Frost giants? This is happening before the arrival of Odin? Why not huge fucking guys with hammers agaisnt these things then?)

If you can, find the 6 specials each running between 6 and 11 minutes. They're self-parodies of the school bits and are hilarious.
Ozoneocean at 9:53PM, June 15, 2014
(online)
The titans are mormal people who have mutated.
-A guess based on the first two episodes and what little I've read. :)

———

It should be illegal to eat tinned fish in an office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrrrgghhh! The smell! The smell! NOOoooooooooooOOOOooooOOOooOoOo ;_;

———

Now that's out of my system, our Quackcast Quiz experiment seemed to go over ok!
I hope people don't get tired of the same crew for that… It's just that Abt-nhil, Tantz, and Pitface are super reliable and always up for anything, as well as having gotten to be great friends with us.
We WILL open the Quizes up to more people obviously though if the format has legs… I wrote the questions and they were pretty crappy, so I dunno. :)

After the QuackQuiz we had a skype video chat, which was cool! I've actually never done that. Banes couldn't do it and Abt didn't have a cam, but Pit, Tantz, and I were all lights camera action.
It was lovely to see them! And I have to add that I respect Tantz and Pit imenseley, both are amazingly tallented, highly skilled, highly educated people with pretty signifigant achievenets under their belts, and they kick arse every day in what they do in every aspect of their lives - But I also have to say that both are pretty hot babes as well.
bravo1102 at 7:30AM, June 16, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
But I also have to say that both are pretty hot babes as well.
And coming soon Quackcast: the swimsuit edition.
Ozoneocean at 8:03PM, June 16, 2014
(online)
Well Tantz DID bring up the subject of the “dickini”, that's very popular on the Greek party island of Mikonos at the moment… so if you play your cards right Bravo, Banes and I will be putting on quite a show for you :D
bravo1102 at 8:07AM, June 17, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Well Tantz DID bring up the subject of the “dickini”, that's very popular on the Greek party island of Mikonos at the moment… so if you play your cards right Bravo, Banes and I will be putting on quite a show for you :D
You and Banes in a thong? Or thongs? You pretty much already did that with your spacesuits from the previous Quackcasts in space. Looked like thongs with space helmets and you painted yourself blue or red.

Speaking of underwear, who would have thought there was an anime series about a girl obsessed with it that also teaches you how to properly choose and fit what is appropriate for the female figure? Talking about Chuu-bra. Under that there's a sweet story about friendship and the personalities in middle school. Once you're past the fetish it's really sweet. And knowing the problems women do have with their underwear it's helpful and informative. I taught Middle school. Girls at that time could use a TV series to teach them about underwear and the proper sizing of bras. So could a lot of adults.
Skullbie at 8:20PM, June 17, 2014
(online)
That outside kitty breaking my heart man. He'd rather be pet than fed and he's constantly trying to run inside with us, so he's obviously someones inside cat. We can't let him in though. We have two snobby territorial cats already and they barely tolerate eachother. My uncle said he'd call all our neighbors, and if nobody claimed him my aunt wants him bad. I'm not so sure, though…they lost their last two dogs to their pitbull and this kitty definately does not deserve the same fate.

I might put up posters at the post office. Gah my heart feels so heavy right now
Ozoneocean at 10:22PM, June 18, 2014
(online)
@Bravo- Both Banes and I in the same thong. We're close like that. My spacsuit: fake lobster abs, a thong, a fishowl, and 3 cans of red spraypaint. :D

Chu-bra sounds interesting and creepy…

—–

@Skull, what is up with your Aunt's pitbul? If it's killed two dogs already? Man… why not put it down? Were the killings in self defence? Is it like the George Zimmerman of dogs? …those two puppies were wearing hoodies, it was terrified for its life! Damn gangbanger pups, with their low trousers…

I hope you find a good home for the puss!

——————–

Does anyone care about the future of webcomics????? If so, please comment in the Quackcast thread with the red title text and tell us your thoughts. Pleeeaaase!
last edited on June 18, 2014 10:28PM
Ironscarf at 4:29AM, June 19, 2014
(offline)
There is no future in webcomics! I made a post anyway roflmao.

Cats are notorious for hanging out wherever they might get fed - I think your little visitor is on the make Skullbie and probably already has a good home, so I'd hesitate to offer him to anyone else! I had a cat once: he was that good at faking being a lost kitty for boiled fish, the neighbours up the street searched hard for anyone who'd lost a siamese in the area and he was very nearly sent to Scotland by train.
bravo1102 at 8:25AM, June 19, 2014
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
Cats are notorious for hanging out wherever they might get fed -
So am I. Free food and I'm there.

The neighborhood outside cat is marking my backyard as his again. He's been coming by for years. I don't feed him. Under my house there is a free all you can eat buffet of critters. Used to have a mouse problem but not in the years since he started marking the back yard.
Lonnehart at 1:31PM, June 19, 2014
(online)
Hmm…

Webcomics may need to evolve now. Especially with the ability to make your own videos being all over the place.
Maybe webcomics can become same kind of thing that short cartoons were way back when? Instead of watching a thirty minute show on TV (with nearly half the time going to commercials) you could watch a whole string of short video stories based on webcomics?

It probably won't be long now before easy to animate software comes out so no one has to draw on paper anymore….
Okay…. I just scared myself with that last line… O_O

I would love a pet cat. But the dogs here hate cats. They've been known to dig holes under fences, jump over fences, and even wait for the gate to open before rushing in to go after the cat… and any other small animal they can detect…
Curiously enough they'll stay away from the mailman…
last edited on June 19, 2014 1:33PM
HippieVan at 3:08PM, June 19, 2014
(online)
@Lonne: A cat wouldn't stay inside a fenced-in yard anyways. If you want a pet cat to live any significant length of time they should really be kept indoors.

I've been back at work about two weeks now and it suuuuuucks. I don't have a big project this year so all I do is help out one of the other people in my department. And for whatever reason even though she's the only one who assigns me work she always seems to assume that I have something to do. But I feel guilty (and bored) if I'm not doing anything, so I've basically just been making up spreadsheets of potentially useful information that will probably never be used. Last year I made up a big list of deficiencies as I was working through the personnel files and nothing was ever done with that, which was kind of depressing. And for this I wake up at 6am every day, which makes me feel like I'm going to die. Also, they did a bunch of construction while I was away and somehow messed up the vents or whatever so my cubicle is ridiculously cold. I sit there in a jacket all day. I really shouldn't complain about this very easy job but I'm just feeling grumpy about it.

Also, no one sent me anything for the newspost this week (you jerks) so I have to come up with something to write about, and I'm way too tired for that to be a pleasant job this evening.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 5:17PM, June 19, 2014
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
@Lonne: A cat wouldn't stay inside a fenced-in yard anyways. If you want a pet cat to live any significant length of time they should really be kept indoors.

We do keep them indoors. However, that doesn't stop the dogs. However, we always managed to chase them out or our property before they even get into the house.
Ozoneocean at 8:10PM, June 19, 2014
(online)
HippieVan wrote:

And for this I wake up at 6am every day, which makes me feel like I'm going to die. Also, they did a bunch of construction while I was away and somehow messed up the vents or whatever so my cubicle is ridiculously cold. I sit there in a jacket all day.
Preach it sister!
Although I arranged it so I don't start work till ten, so I sleep till 8 every morning. It's still cold though because stupid people tend to love getting their hands on tempereture controls… That's universal.
I gave up doing make-work when I have free time at work. For me that's only for show… Free time is for web browsing and drawing! Yay for tablets!

My cats have always been outside cats and they've always lived a good long time. I train them from a young age that they're not allowed out the front, so they learn to fear the road, cars and creatures out there.

The main problem is rival tomcats. With my big tom Simon I got him a custom made thick wide black leather colar with big stainless steel pointed studs. I also trained him to know how to fight properly through a lot of play fights whn he was younger.
That worked very well, he hasn't been badly injured since he was little. The downside is that now he's older he's a bit of a gangster… He has dominance issues. He can be as cudley as a big fluffy bear most of the time, but at others he finds anyone walking up past him offensive and will attack you for it. …that and the territory marking -_-
-He was nutered as a very young kitten too!
kawaiidaigakusei at 12:25AM, June 20, 2014
(online)
There was once a stray black cat in my old neighborhood that would bring trophies of mice and small birds to the front doorstep. The neighbors warmed up to him and we would leave cat food out for him to eat. Years later after I left for college, I found out he met his end during a confrontation with a coyote that had been displaced by construction projects.

I have been on a cross country road trip traveling across the United States since early June. Yesterday I was in a charming, hipster friendly town filled with people my age in Kansas and tonight I am in New Mexico.

Along the trip, I visited my mother's family home from my childhood and it was a time capsule of a building with the olive green kitchen stove, long shag carpet, and floral printed window curtains. The house has not been redecorated since the late seventies, and so I spent the days wiping off accumulated dust and cleaning the kitchen to restore it to the way it was when I would visit during the long summers of my childhood. It was a trip down memory lane and the small town has not changed much over the years including the same old ice cream stand and local burger joints. I was both elated and saddened at the whole experience–happy that the house contained so many memories with framed photographs in their original position, but sad that the people who once made that house so special are no longer there. It made me think that if I could somehow fix up that house by giving it some much needed love that I could restore it to the way I remember.

It did make me wonder, when everything is all said and done, why even bother of buying a house?
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Skullbie at 2:46AM, June 20, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:

@Skull,
what is up with your Aunt's pitbul? If it's killed two dogs already?
Man… why not put it down? Were the killings in self defence? Is it
like the George Zimmerman of dogs? …those two puppies were wearing
hoodies, it was terrified for its life! Damn gangbanger pups, with their
low trousers…

It ‘saved their grandsons
life’ or some shit, they did want to kill it, trust me. I don't
generally hate animals but i hate that thing with a passion. Pro-pittbul
sites always amuse me because they want to spread the ‘word’ bout how
pitbulls arent bad, yet their fact pages always read like giant warnings
labels. Try to find a page like that for a collie or a german sheppard, lol.
Ironscarf wrote:
I think your little visitor is on the make Skullbie and probably already has a good home, so I'd hesitate to offer him to anyone else!
I agree with you 100%. Problem is finding his home, he's very obviously someones pet, but not a pampered one(he's a year old and still not neutered) so we haven't seen any signs for him. Also i guess my aunt retracted the offer to take him *shrug* Just as well.
I cant wait til my parents leave for the weekend. I'm gonna put the cats in my bedroom and let him in the house for a bit. He already ran in and tried to sleep on dads chest, haha. Ugh god i feel bad for him
Lonnehart at 2:53AM, June 20, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Along the trip, I visited my mother's family home from my childhood and it was a time capsule of a building with the olive green kitchen stove, long shag carpet, and floral printed window curtains. The house has not been redecorated since the late seventies, and so I spent the days wiping off accumulated dust and cleaning the kitchen to restore it to the way it was when I would visit during the long summers of my childhood. It was a trip down memory lane and the small town has not changed much over the years including the same old ice cream stand and local burger joints. I was both elated and saddened at the whole experience–happy that the house contained so many memories with framed photographs in their original position, but sad that the people who once made that house so special are no longer there. It made me think that if I could somehow fix up that house by giving it some much needed love that I could restore it to the way I remember.

It did make me wonder, when everything is all said and done, why even bother of buying a house?
*sigh* Kinda reminds me of what my house USED to look like. If I could, I'd rebuild it to what it was when I was a child back in those days…

Of course this was before very strong typhoons came over and tore the place to shreds more than once…. :(
lba at 5:40PM, June 20, 2014
(online)
I've owned a couple pitbulls over the last few years and given them both up because I had other commitments ( Military life, yo. ). Most of the time, their fabled “aggression”,
is misplaced hyperactivity ( and forgive me if you doubt because it is based on my own experience. ). They're dogs who are permanently on the
same activity level as a 5 year-old human, and when you add that to most
dogs tendency to get mouthy when excited, they can be provoked into
fighting pretty quickly if you don't keep them active and occupied. My
last one was the reason I started taking up training for a half
marathon. It was all I could do to run the little bastard to exhaustion
within 5 miles and he'd tear things apart, up to and including the
squirrels in the backyard if he didn't get either a long run or an hour
at the dog park.They can be tempered with a milder breed or older dog like I have, but they're still like that obnoxiously hyper friend who always wants to go down to the pub for a few and winds up leaving with half the bar poured on himself. No matter how much behavior modification, they still always have that hyperactive impulsiveness.

I need to post more often, but I've been busy. I'm only $2,000 away from my estimated amount required for me to move out of the Midwest to somewhere a little more suitable to my tastes. Right now, it's even money between Austin, Texas and San Diego, California. Either way, I need about the same amount, and I'm so close I can taste that sweet, sweet victory.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon