Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2015 Rant/Share/General Discussion thread
Genejoke at 5:01AM, Dec. 24, 2015
(online)
It's 52 degrees here.
tupapayon at 8:00AM, Dec. 24, 2015
(online)
I wouldn't say i's hot here, bu I'd say it's not how it should be… the climate is changing… Time to rewatch that movie “The Day Before Tomorrow”… no, no, “The Day After Yesterday”… I mean “The Day Afer Tomorrow”…
Ozoneocean at 10:15AM, Dec. 24, 2015
(online)
Well it's 2am here and that means it's Christmas. I've already had two presents: One cat brought me a dead rat and the other got me a live gecko. Very generous…

The default PW ads are now some sexy artwork that points people towards the Quackcast! I hope you like them if you ever get to see 'em ^_^
Vindibudd at 10:47AM, Dec. 24, 2015
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Well it's 2am here and that means it's Christmas. I've already had two presents: One cat brought me a dead rat and the other got me a live gecko. Very generous…

The default PW ads are now some sexy artwork that points people towards the Quackcast! I hope you like them if you ever get to see 'em ^_^
I wonder if it is hotter there than it is in Orlando, 28 degrees celsius.
rockmaryrock at 8:41PM, Dec. 24, 2015
(online)
tupapayon wrote:
I wouldn't say i's hot here, bu I'd say it's not how it should be… the climate is changing… Time to rewatch that movie “The Day Before Tomorrow”… no, no, “The Day After Yesterday”… I mean “The Day Afer Tomorrow”…
Wow, I literally just finish watching this a third time at a friend house. What a coincidence! I love the comic too.
Ozoneocean at 5:33AM, Dec. 25, 2015
(online)
Christmas night and it's actually cool and nice here.

Welcome to the forum Rockmaryrock and welcome back Vindibud!
tupapayon at 6:41AM, Dec. 25, 2015
(online)
Merry Christmas everybody!!
Hope you are well and enjoying a good time…. family… friends… one night stands… whatever…
I was wondering why Santa didn't come this year…
Ozoneocean at 9:51PM, Dec. 25, 2015
(online)
Happy Boxing day everyone! Enjoy the mystery named 26th of December.
Seriously, NO ONE knows why it's called that.
- Has nothing to do with retail workers taking home boxes of stuff. That is a simply MORONIC theory since the name of the day is obviously older than stupid cardboard boxes.
So it's also unlikley to be about putting presents in boxes or any other box container related thing since the main boxes around would have been made of metal and wood and not popular for the type of stuff you share during Christmas. i.e. VERY heavy containers for carrying things about! They were mainly for storage, not for casual transport of goods.

- Is it about pizefighting? I'm not sure why it would be but the name IS English and boxing was basically invented there - hand to hand fighting was more popular in Britian than any other country outside of East Asia because civilians didn't use weapons that much (for whatever reason). So while you have a LOT of sword and pistol duels in Europe, Russia, India etc, in Britian it was mainly bare knuckle fighing, even between women.
They did have weapon duels but it tended to be very ileagal, ESPCIALLY if you managed to kill your oponent.
People would often make a trip to Ireland if they wanted to fight a weapon duel.

- Wikipedia talks about “Christmas boxes” for tradespeople from the 1830s and some notion that there used to be boxes for gifts placed outside churches in the 1700s and earlier. But the truth is that these are the sorts of things you often get on wiki: Explanations made to fit the premise. The truth is that the real explnation for the day is not known and those are just theories.

Any other theories about boxing day? I haven't got any.
Lonnehart at 3:27AM, Dec. 26, 2015
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
HAHAHAHA! Lone, it's STILL over twice as hot in Gaum as it is anywhere in the UK ^_^
True enough, but the nights and early mornings have gotten cold enough to have me put something on at work to keep the wind from nipping at me (and I have to stay outside at work)…
Ozoneocean at 3:52AM, Dec. 26, 2015
(online)
“Put something on”
Now I'm imagining you in a speedo and security gaurd cap, relutantly wearing a jacket… Gah! o_o
Lonnehart at 3:58AM, Dec. 26, 2015
(online)
O_O Actually the uniform I wear is a bit low on the quality side…

At least I have a game project going now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw16_auhW6s
Just taking the Extra Credits team's advice and testing the “minimum viable product”. Think Flappy Bird, but you have to shoot AND mantain altitude…
bravo1102 at 4:26AM, Dec. 26, 2015
(offline)
And I always thought Boxing Day was about children getting their ears boxed for being so naughty the day after Christmas.
Ironscarf at 4:38AM, Dec. 27, 2015
(offline)
Happy left overs week everyone.
kawaiidaigakusei at 12:46PM, Dec. 27, 2015
(online)
Here, here. I just ate really tasty lasagna leftovers for lunch. If it were Monday, I would be having a Garfield experience.

Super slow day at work. Pretty much, I am getting paid to watch movies. Guardians of the Galaxy, Never Been Kissed, Princess Diaries, and now Legends of the Fall.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Ozoneocean at 5:02PM, Dec. 27, 2015
(online)
I have none!
…ok, I have some Christmas cake that I keep forgetting about. It was just too hot here for me to bother making food. >:/

It's STILL too hot! Here I am on holiday, having to wake up early on Monday morning and make sure everything is watered because I'ts going to be hell outside, now I'm in my cool, dark office room ediin the Quackcast tomgether.
bravo1102 at 2:10AM, Dec. 28, 2015
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
Happy left overs week everyone.
Wot no twelve days of Christmas in the best English tradition? Though it is difficult to maintain the yuletide cheer till Twelfth Night.
HippieVan at 5:57PM, Dec. 28, 2015
(online)
I'm being really fussy about fonts with my comic right now. One of the pages is meant to look a bit like a vintage travel brochure (thanks again to Oz for finding reference material!) and I can't decide on a font for the longer text bits. I haven't taken any kind of graphic design classes since high school so I have just enough knowledge to know that what I have doesn't look right, but not enough to know why or what to look for.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ozoneocean at 6:08PM, Dec. 28, 2015
(online)
What period was the broucher again? From memory Futura was super popular for everything in the ‘20s and ’30s. It has lots of variations (bold, thin, ulltrabold etc), so it works well for paragraph text as well as titles.
HippieVan at 7:29PM, Dec. 28, 2015
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
What period was the broucher again? From memory Futura was super popular for everything in the ‘20s and ’30s. It has lots of variations (bold, thin, ulltrabold etc), so it works well for paragraph text as well as titles.
I don't have it. :( I think my reference material was all 1930s. Most of them seem to use serif fonts for longer text, but not all of them.
Ozoneocean at 7:54PM, Dec. 28, 2015
(online)
Well it's super old so it's also super free!
https://www.fontyukle.net/en/1,futura

Stuff in the style of it:
http://www.1001fonts.com/futura-fonts.html
HippieVan at 10:56PM, Dec. 28, 2015
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Well it's super old so it's also super free!
https://www.fontyukle.net/en/1,futura

Stuff in the style of it:
http://www.1001fonts.com/futura-fonts.html
Yay! Thank you. I switched to Fortuna from the serif font I was using and it looks a lot nicer. I'm still not 100% happy with it, but at this point I think it might just be the effect of having stared at the same thing for too long.
Lonnehart at 5:19AM, Dec. 29, 2015
(online)
Just thought I'd show off my Space Luxury Liner… in combat… :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoblqk1Eiy8
tupapayon at 7:30AM, Dec. 29, 2015
(online)
The only thing I liked from Star Trek was that R2D2
Call Me Tom at 11:14AM, Dec. 29, 2015
(offline)
Hi I started a new community project any one intrested?
Anyone?
Hello?….
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
last edited on Dec. 29, 2015 11:15AM
HippieVan at 11:58AM, Dec. 29, 2015
(online)
That looks super fun, Call Me Tom! I'll put it in my newspost this week. :)
Ozoneocean at 8:30PM, Dec. 29, 2015
(online)
That's a heavily armed space yacht Lonne. More like a pirate ship in that configuration?

————-
Well our ad revenue for this month is WAY up on what it's been, in fact we've had our highest month ever!!!
We were steadily decilining before I hired Alexey for the emergency fixs, and I really thought it wouldn't even be enough to pay the bare bones site costs… But this month people are paying crazy amounts for the ad space, so even with the extra added cost of $48+ US a month for our image server we will STILL have a very safe proffit margin.
-Which goes to pay me for the $90+ in back costs I paid off on the unpaid AWS bill, but that's STILL a boon. I honestly didn't expect to have that almost paid back so soon.

We can't expect the same rates of earnings though, you simply cannot rely on Project Wonderful ads to give you a consistant amount. So rather than expecting the ad revenue to increase even further I will just assume that this month was a bit of an abaration and it will go back down to normal again- or bellow normal, you just can't ever tell.
I expect the worst but hope for the best ^_^

All that said though, at the moment the site is financially quite healthy and ticking along better than it has for the last few years.
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:05PM, Dec. 29, 2015
(online)
That is some fantastic and uplifting site news, Oz! Buy that duck another drink. He has been sober for way too long.

My New Years Eve plans have just become a lot more exciting. I plan to spend the new year changeover at a nerd convention, it is actually called NerdCon. There are supposed to be lasers and other outrageous things and people. I am really looking forward to this event. It fits my comfort zone.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
HippieVan at 10:20PM, Dec. 29, 2015
(online)
@oz: That is super awesome!
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
My New Years Eve plans have just become a lot more exciting. I plan to spend the new year changeover at a nerd convention, it is actually called NerdCon. There are supposed to be lasers and other outrageous things and people. I am really looking forward to this event. It fits my comfort zone.
That sounds really fun! I have one party invite but not sure if I'm going to go. Pros: the friends whose party it is has a really cute cousin. It's also sort of a family-plus-other type of party, so chances are there won't be too much crazy drinking. Cons: I'll only really know the one friend.

I haven't been posting here all that much recently because I've been taking advantage of my holiday to socialize with real life people, so that's been nice. I think I've gotten far less awkward over the past couple years - university has been really good for me.

For my curatorial practicum course I'm supposed to find a job posting that I would be somewhat qualified for after have graduated and completed the practicum, then put together a mock resume and cover letter. This is a tremendously depressing assignment because *surprise* no one cares about your history degree. It's actually easier to get a museum job as a history student than as a person with a history degree, because the government helps to fund a bunch of student jobs. There's very little in the museum field without a master's degree in Canada.
last edited on Dec. 29, 2015 10:21PM
Gunwallace at 11:58PM, Dec. 29, 2015
(offline)
This may be the second Rusty Nail of the evening talking, but Better Off Ted is a very under-rated show.
“God you're so paranoid. No wonder the company has to secretly manipulate you.”
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Lonnehart at 5:53AM, Dec. 30, 2015
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
That's a heavily armed space yacht Lonne. More like a pirate ship in that configuration?

————-
Well our ad revenue for this month is WAY up on what it's been, in fact we've had our highest month ever!!!
We were steadily decilining before I hired Alexey for the emergency fixs, and I really thought it wouldn't even be enough to pay the bare bones site costs… But this month people are paying crazy amounts for the ad space, so even with the extra added cost of $48+ US a month for our image server we will STILL have a very safe proffit margin.
-Which goes to pay me for the $90+ in back costs I paid off on the unpaid AWS bill, but that's STILL a boon. I honestly didn't expect to have that almost paid back so soon.

We can't expect the same rates of earnings though, you simply cannot rely on Project Wonderful ads to give you a consistant amount. So rather than expecting the ad revenue to increase even further I will just assume that this month was a bit of an abaration and it will go back down to normal again- or bellow normal, you just can't ever tell.
I expect the worst but hope for the best ^_^

All that said though, at the moment the site is financially quite healthy and ticking along better than it has for the last few years.
If I was playing a Klingon warrior, it would DEFINITELY be a pirate ship. But I'm playing a Federation character so….

And I just realized… my character's name (Y'ndere) and her ship (Killer Lady) is an unintentional reference to an anime called School Days, where meme “Nice Boat” came from… You may want to look that up, though… O_O

As for the Drunkduck website news, I'm happy to see things are going up. I look forward to things geting better next year. :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon