Comic Talk and General Discussion *

End of the world as we know it
lothar at 5:07AM, April 19, 2022
(offline)
Is anyone else bummed out that the world might end this year?

From famine to nuclear Armageddon, solar storms/EMPs, tiramisu world government or technocracy. I think we are boned now. And it doesn't look like there are any aliens coming to save us.

What are you going to miss the most.
I would say dollar stores and the internet

Thank you
bravo1102 at 6:02AM, April 19, 2022
(offline)
After fifty-seven years on this planet I've reached the conclusion that every year is the end of the world as I knew it and that every day is the first day of the rest of my life.

I grew up on Late Great Planet Earth and the Prophecies of Nostradamus so end times is all the time and has been for a long time. Heck, Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet and the book of Revelation was about the 60s A.D when Jerusalem and Judea really did end.

Then there's the 13th century BC when the world of the Late Bronze Age civilization ended. There's a few years in the 5th to 14th century AD where everything ended. A third of everyone died on the entire Eurasian landmass.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most and that's long gone, like twenty years. Anything else goes might just make things easier. Having had a few near fatal accidents helped too. Looking death in the face and somehow finding myself still alive, I'm hard to kill. I'm a freaking survivor. So one day at a time and keep plugging away.
last edited on April 19, 2022 6:06AM
Ironscarf at 7:01AM, April 19, 2022
(offline)
As a kid I saw a TV show about Old Mother Shipton who predicted, amongst other things, the end of the world in 1981. The presenter assured us she'd never been wrong so I grew up fully expecting an early 80s armageddon. Anything beyond that feels like a bonus to be honest.

I would miss comics, guitars and strolling through peaceful cemeteries.
last edited on April 19, 2022 7:05AM
dpat57 at 11:38AM, April 19, 2022
(offline)
Last week I received a text alert that passengers for the UK's Armageddon Ship (elites only, no riff-raff) should be ready to grab a bag and make their way to the assembly area pending launch. I always wanted to explore other planets and moons but not like this, not like this. Let's see what happens! A little optimism never killed anybody.
Ozoneocean at 9:08PM, April 19, 2022
(online)
Nuclear war is always a possibility… sometimes it gets more likely.
It's those F***ing nationalists that are to blame. China is jonsing SOOOOO hard for Taiwan, that have a massive boner for it.
China's war to take Taiwan will make the Russian invasion of Ukraine look like a party.

Luckily/unluckily what the nuclear threat means at the moment is that a major nuke power can invade smaller non-nuke powers and no other nuke powers can get involved directly to stop them. Unlike the weird proxy wars of the Cold War, we have direct, full on invasions now, where other countries do everything short of getting involved too.

———-

In my opinion the start of the post-cold war military template was really Iraq invading Kuwait back in the 90s, with the USA rushing out there to crush them - BUT they had the sense not to take it further. It was very “Falklands War” in that regard. But it only got worse from there unfortunately…
lots of failures with the NATO policing actions against Serbia vs separatist Albanians in Kosovo, Russia flaccidly flopping around all over Chechyna and Ingushetia, Israel doing what it wants with impunity against the Palestinians and Lebanon. And so much more…

But the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq were the very stupidest things. -NOT in hindsight either, at the time it was a moronic idea and pretty evil. That more than anything laid down the “road map” for future conflicts- major nuclear powers and other first world powers ganging up for terribly planned invasions and even worse planned occupations of two different unrelated countries with limited military resources and high geographic strategic value.
That said: “We have the power, we can invade any country we damn well want for any reason we invent and there's nothing anyone can do to stop us. This is the world now.”

That's what's allowed the Russian invasion of Ukraine to happen and why Taiwan is on borrowed time.
ArrenMcStealsalot at 1:24AM, April 22, 2022
(offline)
While I don't believe that world will end, I have a feeling that we're experiencing end of an era now. Mostly because West apparently wants to commit economic suicide by doubling down on sanctions. Somehow Western leaders fail to understand that Russia controls a lot of resources and food, and other countries from Asia are going to buy, so all they will achieve will be cutting away themselves from things they need.
Unfortunately for US they made money printer go BRRRR long time ago and those who know something about history, know where pirniting money leads. If the pertodollar goes down, US is finished and my biggest fear about nuclear war is about Russia using them, but West doing something stupid because their puppet state is now loosing the war.
Ozoneocean at 7:08AM, April 22, 2022
(online)
For some reason it never really clicked for me but the depression some younger people feel about the future because of climate change (that inevitable impending disaster sort of feeling, a feeling of quite desperation, or resignation, or astonishment over why people aren't coming to their senses and doing anything about it), is EXACTLY what we were feeling in the 1980s with nuclear war…

People forget how bad that was. The world was split in twain… it felt like only the smallest thing could set it off. Ronald Regan was behaving like an absolute tit and driving us hell for leather towards it in a game of chicken.
Sometimes late at night I'd hear the roar of a jumbo jet flying over and I'd think “what if this time it's an ICBM?”
(I think an ICBM would probably be silent as it came down though)

I think most people were thinking we wouldn't make it to the 1990s… Or if we did, Mad Max would basically become a reality in the nuclear aftermath.
Ironscarf at 4:55AM, June 8, 2022
(offline)
Adnan7 wrote:
Custom Boxes Wholesale

I take it these are lead lined concrete radiation proof boxes?
Genejoke at 5:34AM, June 8, 2022
(online)
Or maybe we won't have to worry about starving as we'll have so much spam/
cdmalcolm1 at 3:37PM, June 26, 2022
(online)
2019 our universe “snapped” to another universe. Damn you Thanos!!!!!!!!!
sleeping_gorilla at 4:12PM, July 9, 2022
(offline)
eh, I feel fine…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon