Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Share a Top 10 list of yours!
InkyMoondrop at 12:17PM, Oct. 27, 2022
(offline)
Good idea. I'll check out Samson and Sally. I still have to watch The Plague Dogs, people compare it to Watership Down. Probably a perfect choice for Christmas over at my pal's, he already picked Step Brothers, it should create a balance in the force.

Animated movies:

A Silent Voice - Not a perfect adaptation, but still amazingly directed
Inside Out - Just a great idea, you don't even miss the antagonist
The Illusionist - It'd work even as a live action
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion - total mindfuck
Only Yesterday - another one that's like a live action, reminds me of Ozu's works
My Neighbor Totoro - it's quite nostalgic and the ending can be interpreted several ways
Paprika - it's not the experimental kind of crazy, but it can still make you say: this is what animation is for
How to Train Your Dragon - just a good watch, puts you in the right mood and all
Monsters Inc - People don't like the kid in it, I dunno, I think the whole concept is very entertaining
Cat City - political satire, action, adventure, comedy… it's a real gem from the 80s Central Europe.
last edited on Oct. 27, 2022 12:18PM
Amelius at 1:12PM, Oct. 27, 2022
(offline)
(it's actually been scientifically proven that watching SpongeBob makes you dumber)

FALSE.
I know what “”“study”“” this refers to and it didn't prove anything, it's never been peer reviewed, hasn't been repeated since 2011, the methodology was incredibly flawed, it's Frederick Werthram “Seduction of the Innocent” level “science” you're citing here.

“Study finds that four year olds don't like it when you show them a cartoon intended for older children, chop it to bits then shut if off before the cartoon ends then make them take tests.” Is the only thing that study “proves”.

Just imagine you're promised 100 bucks to sit for 1 hour and the person starts counting out singles, stops at $30 and leaves without a word, then their assistant makes you sit for 4 hours taking tests. You'd be thinking about whether you're getting that last 70 bucks or not, thinking about places you'd rather be and how long this is going to go on and have trouble taking a test too I'll bet.
“Study proves money makes people dumber! Should we be paying employees for their work?”

When they come after Spongebob they don't mean just Spongebob, it's every cartoon you actually love, because to these people Spongebob is a catch-all for “dumb cartoons that aren't Baby Einstein/edutainment that make kid more smarter” (which don't, that's BS too).

Please don't endorse bad science just because you think it confirms your bias.

Finally, I don't love the show but the first 3 seasons of Spongebob are pretty good, Spongebob's actual problems are it's overstayed its welcome and flanderized every cast member; and Nikelodeon won't let anything threaten to be more popular than it and actively sabotage other shows that do because they own the merch rights lock stock $ barrel whereas for other shows, they don't.
bravo1102 at 6:23PM, Oct. 29, 2022
(offline)
So it's just like the vaccines equal autism nonsense. Poorly constructed and results never repeated. Media reports it, ignorant people grab ahold of it and there's a movement. Not nearly as dangerous as anti-vax though. How about a ten lists of pseudoscience?

1. Anti-vax
2. Chiropractic
3. Colon cleansing
4. Flat earth
5. Electric universe
6. Ancient aliens
7. Scientology
8. Eugenics and “race”
9. Free energy
10. Homeopathy
last edited on Oct. 29, 2022 6:33PM
J_Scarbrough at 8:30PM, Oct. 29, 2022
(offline)
You have to admit, each new generation of kids gets dumber and dumber than the ones before, and just look at what they're exposed to (like SpongeBob). . . .

I mean, look at Millennials (a generation I'm unfortunately lumped into, despite being born at the tail end of the 80s): they don't know that a couple is two, that a dozen is twelve, that homage is pronounced “OH-MAJ,” that you twist salt and pepper shakers, or really much of anything that should be common knowledge.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
lothar at 11:22PM, Oct. 29, 2022
(offline)
I remember the Flat Earth Society existing before the internet. I thought people just did it as a lark, knowing it was bullshit.
bravo1102 at 3:49AM, Oct. 30, 2022
(offline)
lothar wrote:
I remember the Flat Earth Society existing before the internet. I thought people just did it as a lark, knowing it was bullshit.
They did. Read Flat Earth: The history of an Infamous Idea by Christine Garwood. Once upon a time it was a hoax and then a club to make fun of stuff. But there were always an isolated tiny handful of true believers.

It took the internet, specifically the algorithm on YouTube to make the belief system quite real. Lots of folks are in this one. Dunning-Kruger study describes their thought process quite well.

Still a fight going on waged by such brave folks as Scimandan and Professor Dave Explains (and many others) to wipe out this bastion of Anti-intellectualism.

If you've ever looked out over the sea on a fine clear day and followed something as it eased below the horizon, there is no believing the earth is flat. Lots of ignorant types spout all kinds of memes about the ancients, but never talk of the mariners and map makers. The philosphers and priests in their homes and temples could afford to think the Earth was Flat. Those who braved the ocean knew it was round or else they could not see what they saw with their own eyes on the far horizon and navigate to where they needed to go. Maritime peoples knew the earth was at least an overturned bowl and not a pancake.
last edited on Oct. 30, 2022 3:52AM
bravo1102 at 3:55AM, Oct. 30, 2022
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
that homage is pronounced “OH-MAJ,”

In French. The English pronunciation is aa-maj or ah-maj. It's based on when the word came into Middle English from Norman French. English speakers simplified many counter intuitive French pronunciations. The pretentious would say it's to our detriment and will use French pronunciation even though the word has been in English since before Chaucer.

It was pronounced as it was initially spelled. However, since English spelling wasn't regular until the dictionaries of the early 18th century you will see it written as omage in some texts.

Sucks to be educated from the age before the internet when research was plowing through stacks of paper.
last edited on Oct. 30, 2022 4:03AM
moizmad at 6:46PM, Oct. 30, 2022
(online)
TOP 10 Heartthrobs Past:
Bettie Page
Grace Kelly
Marilyn Monroe
Bobbie Gentry
Madonna
Sigourney Weaver
Debbie Harry
Jodie Foster
Sade
Diane Lane

TOP 10 Heartthrobs Present:
Emily Blunt
Andrea Riseborough
Olivia Wilde
Kate Winslet
Scarlett Johansson
Brooke Henderson
Halle Berry
Emma Stone
Kristen Stewart
Rosamund Pike

(dang, had to leave off so many, maybe a TOP 100?)
Ozoneocean at 9:15PM, Oct. 30, 2022
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Sort of what Bravo says but more-so, In English now “Ho-marj” is completely correct and “oh-maj” really isn't, because the word came into our Saxon based language so long ago it's been changed for a long time to fit with our pronunciations, which are very different than the French, since our language is mainly German based.
Taking it BACK to the French is new and not correct.

We have a lot of words like that:
Hotel: Never say “an Otel” as in French, it's always “a ho-tel”.
Furore. Never say “Few-roar-ay” as in Italian, It's always “Few-roar”
History. Never say “an istory” as in French (une histoire, silent H), it's always “a his-tory”.

Although the USA skews more to going back to French pronunciations than the rest of the world, and that again is relatively recent historically speaking.

————————

Top ten Anime:

1. Ghost in the Shell. (the first movie)
2. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
3. Spirited Away
4. Robotech (yes, Harmony Gold kludge of Macross, Super Dimension Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeeda).
5. Baka and Test
6. Heaven's lost Property
7. Angelbeats
8. Kill La Kill
9. Gurren Lagann
10. Log Horizon
last edited on Oct. 30, 2022 9:16PM
J_Scarbrough at 9:52AM, Oct. 31, 2022
(offline)
I gotta tell you guys, I have literally never heard it pronounced AA-MAJ/AH-MAJ. Ever. Not once. I was always taught that the proper pronunciation was OH-MAJ, but anymore, I just hear people pronounce it the way it's spelled: “HAW-MAHJ”.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
Banes at 10:46AM, Nov. 1, 2022
(offline)
Top Ten Slasher Movies (plus one book)

1. Friday the 13th part 2
2. Scream
3. Hot Fuzz (a buddy cop comedy/thriller with a slasher tucked inside it)
4. Psycho (still good)
5. Tucker and Dale vs Evil (sort of a reverse slasher…but becomes a real one)
6. Friday the 13th Part 6
7. Halloween
8. Alien (a scifi/alien slasher, but too good not to include)
9. Freddy vs Jason (a monster v monster movie, but also a slasher)
10. Friday the 13th pt 7 (I prefer it over beloved part 4. flawed but underrated)

Plus the novel
And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie)

Genejoke at 11:33AM, Nov. 1, 2022
(online)
Ozoneocean wrote:
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Sort of what Bravo says but more-so, In English now “Ho-marj” is completely correct and “oh-maj” really isn't, because the word came into our Saxon based language so long ago it's been changed for a long time to fit with our pronunciations, which are very different than the French, since our language is mainly German based.
Taking it BACK to the French is new and not correct.

We have a lot of words like that:
Hotel: Never say “an Otel” as in French, it's always “a ho-tel”.
Furore. Never say “Few-roar-ay” as in Italian, It's always “Few-roar”
History. Never say “an istory” as in French (une histoire, silent H), it's always “a his-tory”.

Although the USA skews more to going back to French pronunciations than the rest of the world, and that again is relatively recent historically speaking.

————————

Top ten Anime:

1. Ghost in the Shell. (the first movie)
2. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
3. Spirited Away
4. Robotech (yes, Harmony Gold kludge of Macross, Super Dimension Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeeda).
5. Baka and Test
6. Heaven's lost Property
7. Angelbeats
8. Kill La Kill
9. Gurren Lagann
10. Log Horizon

you forgot Herb/'erb.

A top ten….

my top 10 werewolf movies.

1. American Werewolf in London
2. Dog Soldiers
3. Wolf
4. The Howling
5. The Wolfman
6. Silver Bullet
7. Werewolves within
8. Howl
9. Ginger Snaps
10. Late phases

Ozoneocean at 8:50PM, Nov. 1, 2022
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
you forgot Herb/'erb.

A top ten….

my top 10 werewolf movies.
I did! Hahaha, “erb”! The French pronunciation in English is mainly an American thing, and we can forgive that there because of the greater French influence in the 19th century. But In Britain and Australia is just pretentious and ignorant.

So you don't include any of the Underworld movies? O_O
I know they're vamp AND Werewolf, but they're pretty good.

——————-

Top ten fantasy movies:

1. Conan the Barbarian.
2. Willow
3. The Lord of the Rings : The Fellowship of the Ring.
4. Time Bandits
5. Excalibur
6. Conan the Destroyer
7. The Thief of Baghdad
8. Stardust
9. First Harry potter movie
10. Fire and Ice

Im still not sure about that order and more should maybe be included (Jaberwocky, Erik the Viking, Army of the Dead, Dragonslayer…), and I haven't seen the rest of the Harry Potter movies or the last Lord of the Rings movie because the second one sucked.
lothar at 9:06PM, Nov. 1, 2022
(offline)
Excalibur is a great movie.
I would add Ladyhawk to that list.
InkyMoondrop at 9:34PM, Nov. 1, 2022
(offline)
2. Dog Soldiers
I remember watching that from a pirated disk I got from the flea market when it came out, soooo many years ago. :D I even spotted a mistake in it, but it was an overall good watch.
last edited on Nov. 1, 2022 9:38PM
Ozoneocean at 4:16AM, Nov. 2, 2022
(online)
lothar wrote:
Excalibur is a great movie.
I would add Ladyhawk to that list.
Agreed. Both films had stellar casts.
I remember in Ladyhawke there was Rutgar Hauer, Michelle Pfifer, Mathew Broderick, and Leo Mackern, among others. For a fantasy film at the time that alone was pretty amazing!

In that vein I should add The Princess Bride! Jeez! That one is the king of kings!

Rutgar became a “B” and “C” movie actor towards the later part of his career, only doing dodgy Scifi action movies, much like Christopher Lambert, but in the early 80s he was still an A-lister so it was cool he was in Ladyhawke.

He was in Flesh and Blood too, but even though that's a sword and armour film it's historical fiction rather than fantasy
last edited on Nov. 2, 2022 4:21AM
Andreas_Helixfinger at 9:01AM, Nov. 2, 2022
(offline)
Top 10 favourite Metal bands (at least when naming on top of my head)

1. Neurotech
2. Enter Shikari
3. Children of Bodom
4. Alestorm
5. In Flames
6. Dark Tranquility
7. Metallica
8. Nightwish
9. System of a Down
10. Rammstein

Now, to be honest I've only listened to one album of Neurotech - titled Antagonist - that I also own a physical copy of, that I had to order and have sent all the way from Russia via discogs some three years ago. But I'll be fu**ed if it isn't the greatest motherfu**ing metal album that has ever been put together. Multiple eargasms on the songs Nonexistent and Inject me
last edited on Nov. 2, 2022 9:22AM
fallopiancrusader at 6:48AM, Nov. 4, 2022
(offline)
Top ten favorite fashion designers:

1)Iris Van Herpen
2)Thierry Mugler
3)Viktor + Rolf
4)Rudi Gernreich
5)Issey Mikyake
6)Gareth Pugh
7)Alexander McQueen
8)Jean Paul Gaultier
9)Cristobal Baliencaga
10)Terrence Zhou

Iris Van Herpen and Alexander McQueen are my top favorites, The others are in no particular order.
Ozoneocean at 7:44AM, Nov. 4, 2022
(online)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
2)Thierry Mugler
I love his stuff, He was so creative 😁

Ah, I went to the last day of the Alexander McQueen exhibition at the MET in 2011 with my crazy friend Bianka 😅
She blushitted our way to the head of a gigantic queue that stretched up two floors through the entire building and down the street out the front, in both directions (whoever said New Yorkers don't queue was a twit).
It was a good show but I don't remember much of it unfortunately. Bianka kept the exhibition book and I'm pretty sure she lost it in her various moves across the country. :(
fallopiancrusader at 11:11AM, Nov. 4, 2022
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:

Ah, I went to the last day of the Alexander McQueen exhibition at the MET in 2011 with my crazy friend Bianka 😅

I went to that show too! It was amazing to see his stuff up close. One of the other cool fashion shows I saw at the Met was a show about new materials in fashion. 3D printed clothing, self-illuminating fabric, that sort of stuff. It's amazing what materials science is coming up with now.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon