Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Drunk Duck Awards 2024
bravo1102 at 3:24AM, May 2, 2024
(offline)
Whoo-hoo! I can't wait. Decisions, decisions of what to do or not do this year.
Niccea at 8:14PM, May 6, 2024
(offline)
Going to need one more day. My youngest jammed a rock up his nose today and we just got back from ER
Othosmops at 1:38PM, May 7, 2024
(offline)
I heard a story that supposedly originated with the DD Awards management, but I need confirmation that it's true.

The message was:
Luckily, the heroes of all completed comics at DD get ten years of free airfare and free hotel rooms to the awards festivities in Duckburg, so the deserving veterans can get a proper share of the glitz and glamor and yummy appetizers and all the hoopla.

If this is not the case, please respond quickly, lest I spread false good news.
last edited on May 7, 2024 1:40PM
Niccea at 6:33PM, May 7, 2024
(offline)
If by airfare, you mean a card board box with windows drawn in Sharpie, then yes.
Othosmops at 4:26AM, May 8, 2024
(offline)
Of course, for our comic heroes, the whole world consists of drawn or printed matter on paper, cardboard or screens.
bravo1102 at 5:05AM, May 8, 2024
(offline)
Othosmops wrote:
I heard a story that supposedly originated with the DD Awards management, but I need confirmation that it's true.

The message was:
Luckily, the heroes of all completed comics at DD get ten years of free airfare and free hotel rooms to the awards festivities in Duckburg, so the deserving veterans can get a proper share of the glitz and glamor and yummy appetizers and all the hoopla.

If this is not the case, please respond quickly, lest I spread false good news.
My characters can verify that this is in fact not true.
Bravo1102 production company pays all expenses except for Belinda Brandon characters which are paid for by Foley/Brandon productions.
That's for earth natives only. Any extraterrestrials provide their own transportation.
And my characters aren't paper and cardboard but I do record them digitally but they are anything but. 🤣 ROTFLMAO
last edited on May 8, 2024 6:55AM
Niccea at 8:12AM, May 8, 2024
(offline)
In case anyone misses it, the first FYC page is LIVE! I have gotten a few in so far so at this time I am releasing one FYC page a day. Quantity and frequency will vary based on how many I receive and how close we get to the ballots opening up.
plymayer at 3:50AM, May 9, 2024
(online)
Niccea wrote:
Going to need one more day. My youngest jammed a rock up his nose today and we just got back from ER

Is he okay?
Niccea at 4:07AM, May 9, 2024
(offline)
plymayer wrote:
Niccea wrote:

Is he okay?
He is fine. He was proud of the whole thing from start to finish. We had to go to the ER because it was late in the day and we couldn't get an ENT and the local Urgent Care couldn't help out.
Niccea at 3:54AM, May 10, 2024
(offline)
Does anyone have any comment on the categories this year. We have been doing these for so long that I think they don't need to be changed again. But it is the Drunk Duck Awards not the Niccea Awards.
bravo1102 at 6:11AM, May 10, 2024
(offline)
Niccea wrote:
Does anyone have any comment on the categories this year. We have been doing these for so long that I think they don't need to be changed again. But it is the Drunk Duck Awards not the Niccea Awards.
Don't really see any need of revisions. It all worked well last year. We've really streamlined them and any more would really take recognition away from creators who really deserve it.
Othosmops at 11:13AM, May 10, 2024
(offline)
Niccea wrote:

Two suggestions for two additional awards:

* Most inspirational comic:
I love comics that radiate mood, poetry or spiritual energy, that capture me in their world or even take me further in real life - beyond pure entertainment.

* Most impressive Comic Universe:
Many comics are embedded in their own special world, and some of these worlds are simply award-worthy, powerful, stunning, fascinating and complex.
Niccea at 12:24PM, May 10, 2024
(offline)
The first one may be too subjective to go though judging. But something like that may fall under the philosophical banner which we do have.

The second one would also be hard to judge especially since the reading for judging is limited to the last year. What if overall a comic is fantastic like that with an intricate and compelling world, but the world building took place over the last several years? Considering that judges just get partial glimpses of the comics it may be hard to judge fairly. But we do have the technical awards that at least pay some homage to those components i.e. dialogue, background, design

However both these categories are perfect for the Create Your Own Award. The intention is to recognize comics for a special niche that doesn't fit a category.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon