Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, Moan and Rave - 2010 edition
Ironscarf at 3:50AM, Nov. 13, 2010
(offline)
skoolmunkee
This might blow your mind but most Americans do not even have electric kettles. Most of us go through our lives boiling water on the stovetop, not knowing electric kettles exixt. (I do think they are probably more popular now than they were 5 years ago, people may have heard of them at least.)

That's incredible! Every household in the UK most have at least one kettle - every office kitchen and factory too - probably even some rabbit hutches.

I had to inspect a factory one day in North London - boring looking place full of huge machines, all churning out little copper rings. When the job was done I asked the guy what they were making and he says,

“You know the cordless kettle, where you lift the kettle and the base stays behind? Well this ring is the electrical contact that joins the two and we make them for every kettle in the world.”

I practically fell at his feet - I had just inspected tea Nirvana!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
ayesinback at 4:05AM, Nov. 13, 2010
(online)
Ironscarf
skoolmunkee
This might blow your mind but most Americans do not even have electric kettles.

That's incredible! Every household in the UK most have at least one kettle - every office kitchen and factory too - probably even some rabbit hutches.
I vouch for skoolmunkee. When visiting some friends in Scotland, I was amazed that not only did their electric kettle have front and center in their kitchen, but it included electronic settings calibrated to the point-celsius to heat the water to that magical temperature for perfect tea. They about dropped when I said I usually toss a teabag into a mug of water and zapped it when I wanted tea (a la Ochi). Celestial Seasons at that.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Product Placement at 4:47AM, Nov. 13, 2010
(online)
ayesinback
When visiting some friends in Scotland, I was amazed that not only did their electric kettle have front and center in their kitchen, but it included electronic settings calibrated to the point-celsius to heat the water to that magical temperature for perfect tea.
Well, I have a kettle that's not nearly that sophisticated. Only brings the water to a boiling point before shutting down automatically.

It's quite handy for when I want to make oatmeal and/or tea; because I don't need to fill it completely for something like that and the time it takes to heat up that amount is near instant. If I'd start heating the water before getting my cup or bowl ready, it always finishes before I'm ready for it.

Something I learned while staying in America; everyone has a toaster oven. It's like a normal oven except it's tiny and sits on the counter.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Ironscarf at 5:34AM, Nov. 13, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
Something I learned while staying in America; everyone has a toaster oven. It's like a normal oven except it's tiny and sits on the counter.

I found out about those from Skool. I'm still not sure what it's for, but they look cool.

Ochitsukanai at 6:44AM, Nov. 13, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
Most of us go through our lives boiling water on the stovetop, not knowing electric kettles exixt.
I've heard of them, but never actually seen one. I just bought a metal pot that sits on the stove…I thought it was super-cute…

Don't have a toaster oven either, but am heartily amused that they're an American thing!

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
Ozoneocean at 6:57AM, Nov. 13, 2010
(online)
ayesinback
Ironscarf
With that security label and casual action pose, you look curiously like a fashion shop window display!
Maybe even a Christmas window display! OZ would look GREAT in the Macy's display (they have nutcrackers, you know).
I know what I'll be doing in my next job…
Hopefully I'll get off with an attractive female mannequin. ;)

—————–
WTF? You don't commonly have kettles in America? Every house in Australia has at least 1, usually several. Electric or for the stove.
Ahahaha, you're pulling my plonker. Of course you have kettles.

…not the great big saucepans that are traditionally called “kettles” either…

BTW, what is a toaster oven?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Mettaur at 11:15AM, Nov. 13, 2010
(offline)
I'm getting surgery in little over a week. wish me luck, I may never be able to have children.
Been years since I was here. I've been at rehab since. So uh. Yknow, things got interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
Skullbie at 12:36PM, Nov. 13, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean

It's a mini oven/toaster that sits on your counter like a microwave. You wouldn't bake anything too fancy like a real oven, but it's great for heating up things up and not getting that nasty mush texture from the microwave.

———

I'm bored out of my mind….i wish my laptop hadn't died. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
skoolmunkee at 3:20PM, Nov. 13, 2010
(offline)
ozoneocean
WTF? You don't commonly have kettles in America? Every house in Australia has at least 1, usually several. Electric or for the stove.
Ahahaha, you're pulling my plonker. Of course you have kettles.

…not the great big saucepans that are traditionally called “kettles” either…

Dedicated tea-drinkers (a minority of the population) have got stovetop teakettles, sure. But the electric ones are a real rarity. I can't imagine ever going back to boiling a litre of water in a stovetop pot now that I'm used to electric kettle goodness. You can get electric ones off Amazon now, I've sent some as gratefully received gifts.

As posted, toaster ovens are good for reheating some foods, they're also good for making things like cheese toast (not too drippy). You wouldn't want to really cook anything in them. although they can get quite hot and most have specific temperature settings, they're not usually sealed properly and the heating elements are pretty close to the food. So they're best for cooking/reheating/toasting dry things.

That said I haven't really missed mine much, since my oven here has a separate grill compartment.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
Ozoneocean at 10:31PM, Nov. 13, 2010
(online)
Ah-ha!

Those would be good for making toasted cheese! My oven is crap for that :(

———-
I needed a shave badly today, but I'd run out of shaving cream! Disaster! D:

I had to mix-up a soap lather and apply it using a shaving brush… so old fashioned. Lucky I had some old shaving brushes on display as curiosities. I never thought I'd actually have to use one!

Worked pretty well considering. My face feels much better than shaving after using shaving cream.
Weird…

I may try doing that again next time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
seventy2 at 10:34PM, Nov. 13, 2010
(online)
i found myself offended today while talking to my 14 year old cousin. she said a bunch of stuff, and i was like O.o Do you even know what that means??? and she was all like “yeah it means bla bla blah” (this is an example). and i was like. no…not at all.
and she was all like o.O ooooh crap. we totally did not have the same meanings.

I didn't think the language could change so much in one area, in only 10 years.
——-

I bought my wife a ceramic tea kettle, while i was in england years back. we never use it. it looks all fancy.

We believe in cold tea. sweet sweet southern cold tea.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:31PM
crocty at 10:35PM, Nov. 13, 2010
(offline)
Ahhhh one of the many reasons I stopped considering ever moving to America. Stupid lack of kettles.
And apparently England and the US are the only place where you find toasters?

Jeez, next you guys will tell me you don't have sandwich making machines, fuck, how could anyone live without them?
Yes I know.

EDIT: also 7two sounds like you may have mixed up kettles and teapots. Kettles are used to boil water, teapots are used to pour the boiling water in to to allow the tea to brew. I don't think you could reliably use a ceramic kettle. Maybe.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Ozoneocean at 10:38PM, Nov. 13, 2010
(online)
crocty
I think actual toasters for toasting bread are universal…?
…maybe not.
crocty
EDIT: also 7two sounds like you may have mixed up kettles and teapots. Kettles are used to boil water, teapots are used to pour the boiling water in to to allow the tea to brew. I don't think you could reliably use a ceramic kettle. Maybe.
Ya… exactly.
Kettles are made from metal because it's a great conductor and heats the water fast. Teapots are ceramic because it's a good insulator and stops the water cooling down too fast.

They don't switch roles well.

Last time I got a new kettle, it was the second most expensive on n the shop. The most expensive one had buttons on for different settings, like Ayes saw. I thought that was a little silly… Anyway, it's all nice, fully stainlessteel, boils fast, makes little noise, and goes “BING” when it's ready.
I love my kettle.

The kettle we use in the office at work is all plastic. Brown plastic. So ugly…
seventy2 at 10:44PM, Nov. 13, 2010
(online)
crocty

see, the average american doesn't even know the difference.
facara
Ozoneocean at 11:47PM, Nov. 13, 2010
(online)
This is the proper way to use one Seventy

seventy2 at 1:04AM, Nov. 14, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
This is the proper way to use one Seventy

thanks ozone! now it's not gonna sit all lonely anymore, now that i know how to use it. also, that looks like fun.
——–

I forget what i'm doing cause terminator 3 is on. i've never seen it in whole, and i must watch it before i watch 4.
facara
Salsa at 1:08AM, Nov. 14, 2010
(offline)
Well, I can't seem to catch a break. I'm off early, because my car's brakes went. So yeah, no car, no work, no money. The worst part is that I think the shop that “fixed” my car messed up the brakes on it. >< Not. My. Night.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
Product Placement at 2:04AM, Nov. 14, 2010
(online)
crocty
Toasters? You mean these?

I think everyone has toasters. We were talking about toaster ovens.

And while I may not personally own a sandwich grill (if that's what you meant by sandwich making machine) you can rest for sure that it's a common household item where I live.

P.S. Does anyone own a waffle iron?

Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Ozoneocean at 2:49AM, Nov. 14, 2010
(online)
I think Crocty was joking about sandwich machines.

What I find strange are breadmakers.
What's the point? Just mix up the ingredients in a bowl and cook it in the oven… Do you really need another kitchen gadget sitting on the shelf, taking up space, or stuffed into a cupboard, taking up space?
crocty at 5:09AM, Nov. 14, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
crocty
Toasters? You mean these?

I think everyone has toasters. We were talking about toaster ovens.

And while I may not personally own a sandwich grill (if that's what you meant by sandwich making machine) you can rest for sure that it's a common household item where I live.
Oh jeez, I was gonna say, toasters, man! No one could live without them. Well, I guess billions of people could before they existed, but NO LONGER.

Also yeah the sandwich maker thing I made up entirely! Hahaha, I am such a bastard!
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
ayesinback at 6:04AM, Nov. 14, 2010
(online)
Ah - but there ARE sandwich makers :) Kind of a make-your-own-hot-pocket deal.

I don't have one of those, but with a large family that likes to keep me well-gadgeted I do or did have at one time:
* an old-fashioned metal, on-the-stove tea kettle
* something like 6 tea pots (cuz they're pretty)
* a waffle maker
* a bread maker (these Are silly, unless kneading is too aerobic or you need loaves that are brick-shaped so you can make a bread wall). I burned it out, so I'm back to the old-fashioned, do-it-yourself
* not one but Two blenders (we like those frozen drinks)
* a Good food processor (I Love it! the only way I can make good pesto)
* a toaster oven (when we got married, we actually received 3 among the wedding gifts, along with two electric can-openers, which are the STUPIDEST gadgets ever. When do you most need to open a can? When the power goes out)
* a microwave
* a coffee-maker
* a hand-mixer (very small but does the trick)

but no sandwich maker and No toaster.

Now you can see another reason why we're re-doing the kitchen. STORAGE.

more importantly: Best wishes, Mett. positive thinking Does help.

Salsa at 10:50AM, Nov. 14, 2010
(offline)
Just the toaster (nothing with open heating elements are allowed, but toasters are) Toasted Peanut Butter and Jelly sammiches are the bomb!
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
skoolmunkee at 1:44PM, Nov. 14, 2010
(offline)
What's up guys :]

10-21-10
Title:
Episode 1, This Is Only A Test

Short Summary:
The fabled(?) “Episode Zero.” Ozoneocean and skoolmunkee navigate some hosting speedbumps and get rolling on talking about their favorite subjects: comics and their creators.

Topics and Shownotes:
* comic contests which probably aren't still running
* the Facebook group and how to join
* the Tinychat group, what's that?
* featured comic: DD24 Hour 2010
* featured comic: Robot Friday
* featured comic: Riddick Q Loss Tales
* looking forward to the redesign
* Unnoticed creative DD comics thread

They've been delayed :ssh: We've been told they should be released this week.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
bravo1102 at 1:51PM, Nov. 14, 2010
(offline)
Living in the North east corner of the USA you have to own a large slot toaster to accomodate bagels. They weren't common back when I first got married.

—-

Twelve hour shift at work and I finished a half dozen pages for the comic. Not a lot happens on my shift.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
PIT_FACE at 3:03PM, Nov. 14, 2010
(online)
Mettaur
I'm getting surgery in little over a week. wish me luck, I may never be able to have children.

i wish ya well, dont die!
what exactly are ya gettin done?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
elektro at 4:04PM, Nov. 14, 2010
(offline)
We MAY be getting a new furnace soon. Last winter, we spent almost the entire time using a small ceramic heater to keep warm, and those things run up an electric bill something fierce. We're tired of trying to find quick fixes to our current furnace, so we may be getting a somewhat smaller, but newer furnace.

I'm thinking of taking the old furnace and giving it the same treatment that printer got in Office Space, complete with Geto Boys soundtrack.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
Skullbie at 4:06PM, Nov. 14, 2010
(online)
EVERYTHING IS UNGODLY! DARK-SIDED! That medical marijuana bill passed.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
ayesinback at 5:22PM, Nov. 14, 2010
(online)
Skullbie

THAT has debate/discussion written all over it. Do it — post it there!
Ironscarf at 5:38PM, Nov. 14, 2010
(offline)
ozoneocean
I needed a shave badly today, but I'd run out of shaving cream! Disaster! D:

I had to mix-up a soap lather and apply it using a shaving brush… so old fashioned. Lucky I had some old shaving brushes on display as curiosities. I never thought I'd actually have to use one!

Worked pretty well considering. My face feels much better than shaving after using shaving cream.
Weird…

I may try doing that again next time.

Aha! Well done sir! You have discovered that a shaving brush is not just a historical curio, but the most important tool next to a sharp blade in getting a decent shave.

Took me 42 years to find that out. Thanks to the greed of the male grooming industry, most men never do. I salute you and your softened/raised bristles!
Ozoneocean at 7:46PM, Nov. 14, 2010
(online)
PIT_FACE
Mettaur
what exactly are ya gettin done?
Soundslike something around the meat and two vege area… He's getting his brussell sprouts boiled.
skoolmunkee
What's up guys :]
10-21-10
Title:
Episode 1, This Is Only A Test
Woot! I hope those go live soon!
Skullbie
lol. We need a godwarrior!
Ironscarf
I salute you and your softened/raised bristles!
They'd salute back, but I shaved them all off.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon