Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, and wildebeest needs
HippieVan at 8:10PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
In our next instalment, learn about the dastardly scheme cooked up by Genejoke and Macattack to curtail DD's butter supplies and force us all to use margarine!
I prefermargarine. Is it possible I've already been brainwashed? D:
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
rokulily at 8:55PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:
In our next instalment, learn about the dastardly scheme cooked up by Genejoke and Macattack to curtail DD's butter supplies and force us all to use margarine!
I prefermargarine. Is it possible I've already been brainwashed? D:
oh gosh! when will the horrors cease?! at this rate the land of iceland will be covered in margarine
Ozoneocean at 9:03PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
@niccea nad Mac- You both possibly already have! Infact, I prefer it too, so their plan is already working… Noooo, I don't wanna cook my eggs with margrine! D:

-Again, submit any plot ideas here:
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/174836/
rokulily wrote:
oh gosh! when will the horrors cease?! at this rate the land of iceland will be covered in margarine
And then eaten with vegimite by Australian tourits…
last edited on Dec. 8, 2011 9:08PM
Lonnehart at 11:20PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
Wow… had a short dream where I was playing the next story of the Mass Effect series. The main character was an Asari… Shepard's daughter. I guess that statement by Bioware is getting to me… that ME3 will be Shepard's LAST appearance in the series. Either he'll go out with some great big sacrifice, or the next game will take place in a future after Shepard has died of old age…

I also learned earlier that there are a couple of methods of cooling down the components in your computer case. The method my case is using right now is called “negative pressure” cooling. Basically all the fans are set up to suck air out of the case, with new fresh air entering the case through every opening it can find. Works great as there's always no hot air in the case, but dust (and a lot of it) gets sucked in too.

Then there's “positive pressure” cooling which is the opposite of “negative pressure”. All the fans suck air in from the outside, with the hot air inside being forced out of any holes in the case. Great for keeping out dust, but has a chance of trapping the heated air inside, causing the system to heat up as well…
So I went and flipped one of the fans around (the one on the side of the case) and my system temperature went up by 2 degrees celsius… O_O

Ahh… the things I learn while surfing Youtube…
last edited on Dec. 9, 2011 12:11AM
Product Placement at 5:46AM, Dec. 9, 2011
(online)
…wait? What's getting covered in what now?

Lonnehart wrote:
I also learned earlier that there are a couple of methods of cooling down the components in your computer case…
Negative presure is usually better but you should maintain a stable airflow through your computer. It's best to suck in air in the front and blow it out at the back. A good configuration is a front fan, positioned at the bottom of the chassis and another fan blowing out the back, alongside the power supply fan that's also blowing air out. You want to create a current that moves through the entire computer.
In server rooms, computer chassis are shaped like very slender boxes that are slit into a shelves; they're called blade chassis. This maximizes space efficiency and allows you to position rows of fans that blow air one way through the entire computer.
This is what a typical motherboard, that's designed for a blade chassis looks like:

Here you see rows of blades packet together in a single server cabinet:

4 courses done, 1 to go. Last test on Tuesday and this semester is finally done.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on Dec. 9, 2011 6:54AM
ayesinback at 6:05AM, Dec. 9, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Skoolmunkee had Bravo's baby, but then she cheated on him with Lonnehart. he found out and took the baby away to raise it as a single parent in Barbados.

But his evil twin brother Ironscarf tracked him down and stole the baby and Bravo's moustaches, leaving Bravo utterly bereft and dejected.

Meanwhile, Ironscarf impersonated Bravo and got Skoolmunkee to take him back (thinking he was Bravo). The baby started to speak however and was about to spill the beans on Ironscarf, when he thrust it into a time machine and sent it into the past to keep it quiet.

Ayesinback, a wealthy heiress of the lichenbacher chewingum billions, schemed to take a controlling interest in drunk duck with the help of the evil Ironscarf, but her daughter Rokulily foiled her plans with the assistance of her mysterious Latin lover, Product Placement. But it turned out that Product Placement wasn't Latin at all! He was actually part of a secret terrorist Icelandic plot, involving his fellow countryman Gulas, their sole goal being to kidnap Skoolmunkee and make her the queen of all Iceland!

But in a crazy twist they mistakenly kidnapped Hippie Van instead. Hippie has been queen of Iceland for 5 months now.

Oh, and in an even crazier twist, it turns out that I was in fact the baby that was sent back in time! I only doscovered it the other day when I suddenly went bald in the same place as Bravo, and grew a pair of boxing gloves. That's right, SKoolmunkee is my real mother and Bravo is my dad!
EXCELLENT!!! Our next radio play! only a few characters short.
Add in the butter and margarine manufacturers, the time machine merchant (and his slimey agent a la Jay Mohr), maybe the child winner of the bubblegum poster contest, and a couple of random “HEY Now”s from Abt_Nihil, and we've GOT someting.
can't Wait to hear all the “Natasha” impersonations as they try-out for skoolmunkee . . .

other news: on my way for another cat scan. “Jane!! Get me off this crazy thing!”
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Product Placement at 6:57AM, Dec. 9, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Drama ensues.

…I did what now?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Macattack at 1:38PM, Dec. 9, 2011
(offline)
Product Placement wrote:

ozoneocean wrote:
Drama ensues.

…I did what now?

see, THIS is the dangers of eating margarine before going to sleep. You wake up with a margarine hangover realizing that last night you somehow became a weird latin american/icelandic terrorist and/or kidnapper
but if you had done it with butter you would've done all that AND have had zits! MARGARINE FOREVER!
Product Placement at 2:57PM, Dec. 9, 2011
(online)

The fact that you insinuated that I eat margarine, means that I'm forced to make you my enemy now. Honor demands it.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Macattack at 3:00PM, Dec. 9, 2011
(offline)
bah! What army do you have at your command? All of Iceland?? I have everyone who eats Margarine to command. Global army
Product Placement at 8:18PM, Dec. 9, 2011
(online)
An army of margarine eaters? And here I was expecting a tough fight.

Although I suppose there's no need for that, since you just indirectly acknowledged that no one in Iceland eats margarine and thus I can drop the feud.

edit: but seriously though, what's all this talk about margarine?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
last edited on Dec. 9, 2011 8:20PM
Macattack at 8:24PM, Dec. 9, 2011
(offline)
Hard to know for sure…. one minute I was asking what I missed over the last year, the next I've apparently become involved in a massive scheme to switch out the world's butter for margarine…… I missed these forums
Lonnehart at 10:29PM, Dec. 9, 2011
(online)
Product Placement wrote:
Negative presure is usually better but you should maintain a stable airflow through your computer. It's best to suck in air in the front and blow it out at the back. A good configuration is a front fan, positioned at the bottom of the chassis and another fan blowing out the back, alongside the power supply fan that's also blowing air out. You want to create a current that moves through the entire computer.
So I guess having 5 fans (two in the power supply and 3 case fans) sucking out the air from inside the case isn't enough? I'll install one more fan at the bottom front of the case though mounting it would be a problem (I'd have to remove the entire front panel then mount the fans using nuts and bolts instead of the screws supplied with it). I guess I'll also need a larger fan for that section…
last edited on Dec. 9, 2011 10:33PM
Ozoneocean at 6:19AM, Dec. 10, 2011
(online)
If you want to change the course of the margarine wars, write it into our DD soap thread :)
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/174836/
This is going to be epicly epic.
Niccea at 6:44AM, Dec. 10, 2011
(offline)
I might get my Christmas present today. My husband and I are going to the animal shelter to look at kittens.

Stilll waiting for my other reccomendation letter to come in. I'm getting worried because I waas already applyingt late and time is literally money. I might just send in what I got tomorrow night so they can get started at least.

In other news. I'm really worried about my 14-year-old brother. He has a C or is failing several of his classes in middle school right now. And the worst part is, it is because he isn't even trying. He doesn't turn in his homework and he doesn't bother studying. He is a smark book learning kid like me, but he is making some really dumb mistakes. My father is a hairs bredth away from sending him to military school or kicking him out of the house all together. (Which is really making a failure at OT school not seem to bad, really.) The kid is my husband and my little bro and we don't know what we can do to help him. He had told us several months ago that he wanted to come live with us because we are much cooler than his parents and my husband and I were quick to inform him that the gloves come off when acedemics are on the line.
gullas at 11:45AM, Dec. 10, 2011
(offline)
drinking bad german beer and watching a cheesy “So you think you can dance”-style show…. Saturday night, baby!
rokulily at 7:22PM, Dec. 10, 2011
(online)
sometimes when i see smoke coming out of a chimney i imagine the house is alive and its just really cold…
Lonnehart at 7:26PM, Dec. 10, 2011
(online)
rokulily wrote:
sometimes when i see smoke coming out of a chimney i imagine the house is alive and its just really cold…
Isn't smoking bad for anything? ESPECIALLY HOUSES?!?

heh… sorry… everytime I see smoke, a blazing infernoisn't too far from it…
rokulily at 7:37PM, Dec. 10, 2011
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
Isn't smoking bad for anything? ESPECIALLY HOUSES?!?

heh… sorry… everytime I see smoke, a blazing infernoisn't too far from it…
it's okay… if it's coming from the chimney. otherwise i'd just be like- that house isn't alive, it's on fire

'chimneys- the fine line between having a fire and being on fire'
last edited on Dec. 10, 2011 7:39PM
ayesinback at 12:54PM, Dec. 11, 2011
(online)
OMG:

I was just imitating (mocking?) Paul McCartney's cover of “I't's So Easy To Fall In Love” and I sounded exactly like Adam Sandler. And it's not just me who thinks so.
Not only was my husband “impressed” (concerned?), but Roku concurred. And you know, I mean, we're talking ROKU (Minister of Cutenes et al) uncanny stuff, man

S0: ah-question-roony: Is there only one thread alive on DD(ye know: this one). IS THERE?!

I propose that someone ( out there - in the nether) create a thread for just this kind of OMG nonsense. And another thread for: techno is eating me alive (aka: As Lonnehart's PC Turns).

I'd do it, but it is a constant embarrassment to me about how many threads I've started already. If the DD Awards had THE Annual Spammer – well, I definitely would have been a contender.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
gullas at 5:15PM, Dec. 11, 2011
(offline)
ayesinback wrote:
S0: ah-question-roony: Is there only one thread alive on DD(ye know: this one). IS THERE?!

More or less. And it's only going to get worse. But some days after new years it should go back to september/october ish traffic…
Ozoneocean at 6:17PM, Dec. 11, 2011
(online)
Well, there's the Random discussion forum… :) Pretty bare in there though.
And yeah… Lonne's comp stuff is a bit of a non sequitur. Could be a good idea for a thread though, where people just talk about computer stuff and get all technical.

Forum posting is a silly beast: people don't see anyone posting in a while, so they don't post themselves… and so on in a spiral of defeat.
Buuut I'm still here. ^_^

OK, the week's quackcast will be about Christmas/holiday stuff, so if you want to record a Christmas carol or thanks to all your commenters over the year, or thanks to the comics you read, or write something about you fave Christmas filler, Please post it here:
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/174847/
Product Placement at 6:56PM, Dec. 11, 2011
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
So I guess having 5 fans (two in the power supply and 3 case fans) sucking out the air from inside the case isn't enough?
5 fans sounds a little excessive, actually, and it's quite possible that the fans aren't working in cohesion. I have no idea how the fans are currently aligned on your computer so I honestly can't judge the best configuration for the fans but I'd suggest aligning them so that they're blowing in air from one side (preferably the front) and blowing out the other side (preferably the back). Try to align it so that it's expelling as much potential heat out of the computer. A fan positioned near your graphics card, that expels air, is a good idea, for example.
ozoneocean wrote:
Well, there's the Random discussion forum… :) Pretty bare in there though.
I'd contribute more to it, except that combination of being very busy nowadays and losing the ability to moderate has kept me away from such important duties.

…and I liked the name “WTH”. <_<
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
last edited on Dec. 11, 2011 7:11PM
Lonnehart at 10:42PM, Dec. 11, 2011
(online)
2 inside the power supply (it came with them), 2 on the back of the case, one on the access panel, and another one I added to the lower front after removing the front panel. Decided to go ahead and switch the access panel fan around so that it's sucking air into the case. Oddly enough my system temperature rises, but my CPU temperature goes down. What the heck is going on?!?

And now apparently my CPU temperature is 92 degrees F while the system temperature is 102 degrees F. Oh, well… I won't try frying eggs on the motherboard.
Ozoneocean at 7:58AM, Dec. 12, 2011
(online)
Megabejebus thunderstorm here!
I went outside to watch it, but couldn't see much with the houses and trees in the way, then I saw a flash coming from behind me, then one to the side… And realised I was right in the centre of it.
VERY, very loud out there. Sounded like something exploded a couple of times, I swear one of them sounded like electrical sparks and fizzles on a massive scale after the initial titanic CRACK. Lots of rain afterwards too, bucked down! But it never lasts long here.

I unplugged all the computers and electrical stuff almost exactly 2 minutes before the power winked out. Very lucky. I probably shouldn't have left it that late. :)
Genejoke at 10:44AM, Dec. 12, 2011
(online)
most of the day we've had bright sunshine but just as I picked the kids up from school it turned foul. no thunder but wind and rain a plenty. ALso living on the seafront the wind is pretty strong, it's howling between the houses.
Lonnehart at 2:01PM, Dec. 12, 2011
(online)
Ugh… let's hope a thunderstorm is all you get, Ozone. Don't want to find out you dropped off the radar due to Mother Nature throwing a fit…

And thanks for the advice, Genejoke. My PC's temperature has been holding steady between 30 and 45 degrees celsius. All I gotta worry about now is dust control…

Yes… evil Dust Bunnies around the world are conspiring to short out everyones computers…
Macattack at 8:51PM, Dec. 12, 2011
(offline)
I used to think that you just needed to turn off your computer and not unplug it… then one day we had lightning hit our backyard which traveled through the ethernet in the wall and litterally scorched out anything that had an ethernet cable attached to it in the house…. that was a daaark daaark daay for me
Lonnehart at 9:20PM, Dec. 12, 2011
(online)
Macattack wrote:
I used to think that you just needed to turn off your computer and not unplug it… then one day we had lightning hit our backyard which traveled through the ethernet in the wall and litterally scorched out anything that had an ethernet cable attached to it in the house…. that was a daaark daaark daay for me
Yikes… didn't think that much electricity could travel through such thin cables.

Oh… and if any of you out there are doing work on your own computer, you don't have to unplug from the outlet (but you should do so anyway in case a bolt of lighting strikes your house from out of the blue). Lightning doesn't strike here too often, so I just use that black power switch located on the power supply…

I need to stop admiring the thing… then again, it's the first time I've had one with black housing… And I also look at the Radeon Sapphire 6570 video card too much too as it's the first ATI card I've ever put in any machine I've built. Now I gotta figure out what to do with those SATA and power cables. They're not blocking airflow, but they sure look messy…As for that custom cowling you see on one of the fans, I took it off and decided it was a better idea to invert the fan on the access panel so that it blows air into the system. Now my system looks kinda evil at night with the red shining through the drive bays.

Now here's a random thought… if the Reapers from Mass Effect attempted to invade the Star Trek universe, would that universe survive at all? I'm pretty sure even the Borg will end up indoctrinated by them…
last edited on Dec. 12, 2011 9:29PM
Product Placement at 7:46AM, Dec. 13, 2011
(online)
X

Done with tests. I'm done. It's over. Now I'll get 3 weeks of blissful holidays and cake eating and then it's back to school.

…I think I'm gonna take a nap now.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon