Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, and wildebeest needs
Lonnehart at 11:50AM, Dec. 6, 2011
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
eh? hdmi cables aren't expensive. Or at least not over here. sure some stores may try and sell you a gold plated super dooper mega hdmi cable but after a point they are all the same. You shouldn't need to spend more than $20 dollars on one, at a guess.
That's probably why they're so expensive around here.Gold platedare the only kind of cables the stores here carry. -_-

Sometimes I wish someone would invent a purediamond or diamond studded CPU heat sink. I hear that diamonds conduct heat very VERY well. That'd be one expensive CPU heat sink though…

Heh… what a close call earlier today. Came really close to reinstalling Windows to my SATA drive so I could toss my old IDE hard drive in the trash. I thought it was failing, or that the IDE to SATA connector was frizzing out. Turns out that the power supply plug going into the HD was faulty… the wire had come off one of the clips. One thin rod and a set of longnose pliers later it was fixed. Apparently the cable was only soldered on. At the end of the clip are a pair of tabs that are supposed to wrap around the wire. They weren't in this case.

Now everything's working as it should. And my IDE will be good ‘til the HD prices finally come down and I can add a 500 GB or 1 TB drive to the system (and remove the old IDE drive I’m using as the System drive and reinstall WinXP on the 160 GB SATA drive). :)
last edited on Dec. 6, 2011 12:20PM
ayesinback at 5:02PM, Dec. 6, 2011
(online)
@Hippie Van: e-l-f c-o-s-t-u-m-e

@Niccea: I'm so sorry - that sounds like such a major disappointment. I have a lot I could write, but much could sound condescending (posts are rather limiting). this much is true: I've lived thru some disappointments that were major to me and mine, and the best I can advise is to try to recognize “the flow” and swim with it. “Fighting on” is NOT the same as “fighting the good fight”. There is always a flow, sometimes hard to recognize, but once you see it and embrace it, you will be amazed how fast things will unfold.
Re: your parents - it is good to recognize that they will have their disappointments, but it is critical to hold true to who and what you are, and not what they have envisioned you to be. not easy - but important.

skoolmunkee wrote:
I play everything on a console because my tv is nice and big and it's in front of a super comfy chair by the radiator and I can bundle up in blankets. :]

and about ME :)

I had a blessed day. I hope I will always remember it. After a month with this whole illness nonsense, I appeared back in the office today. It was really, really tiring (oh my gosh - how tiring it is to pay attention to people who just blah, blah, blah). But I hope I will always remember how so many people came up and sincerely told me that they were glad to see me back. Yeah, there's a whole lot to catch up on. and sure: everyone says they don't expect a miracle, but they'll want one any way. But things did Not fall apart. yay! And there are lots of mistakes made because people didn't know how to do what I do, so I AM needed. I couldn't (and didn't) imagine a more perfect balance.

and my husband, who has not always been stellar about thinking how my day was/is (gag/cough – understatement) was wonderful.

an “ordinary day” that has been especially beautiful. I guess it's just my turn to have something a little wonderful. I hope you all will have your turn, too, very, very soon.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Ozoneocean at 8:17PM, Dec. 6, 2011
(online)
@Niccea- Wow, that must be heartbreaking!
But if it's somewhere you don't really fit then it's probably for the best that you got out this early, before you actually started working in the field… Still, all that time and money spent, the work you put in… Wow.
Hopefully that experience and time spent will still count for something in your future study and work.

@Lonne- You're right Lonne, I didn't know that about Diamonds! Apparently Graphite is even better, but only under special circumstances…

@Skool- man, I hate console controls, so crude and limited… Most of my work is done on my comp so I have a pretty comfy chair, nice huge screen, surround sound and all the rest.- massive desk too…
But then I don't really game, so it doesn't count. Good for movies though.

@Ayes- Hopefully you'll get back into the groove soon, it's hard getting back up to speed, but often the break you have refreshes you and makes things better at work after a while. Knowing you're needed afteral and that you were missed is a pretty good feeling.

————-
I woke to a dripping kitchen tap… Luckily I have a big tub in the sink for washing up so I can save the water for the plants. -it was full to the brim. Looks like I'll have to do some home plumbing. Should be interesting!
Either that or just turn it off REALLY, REALLY hard.
HippieVan at 8:39PM, Dec. 6, 2011
(online)
ayesinback wrote:
@Hippie Van: e-l-f c-o-s-t-u-m-e
Sorry, ayes! I didn't have enough time to make a proper elf costume so I just dressed up in Christmas-y clothes. A green plaid skirt, red shirt, and a santa hat.

I'll post some Halloween pics in the photo thread to make up for it. : )
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Niccea at 1:31AM, Dec. 7, 2011
(offline)
My mom thinks getting an MBA is a bad idea. I went ahead and started the application anyways becasue the school's priority deadline was last week.) She doesn't feel like I could be successful with that degree (granted this is the same womand that didn't think I could do anything with a bachelors in psychology and frequently confused it with philosophy. She keeps trying to push me into computer engineering which I'm not paticularly interested in (she tried to push me into it 6 years ago too when I was starting my college planning. Hubby is all for the MBA, and I am getting good vibes off it. Though, frankly, I really don't know and I kinda want to make a decision so I can start acting on it next semester.
bravo1102 at 2:02AM, Dec. 7, 2011
(offline)
Climb Mount Niitaka

Tora tora tora
Genejoke at 4:31AM, Dec. 7, 2011
(online)
Niccea wrote:
My mom thinks getting an MBA is a bad idea. I went ahead and started the application anyways becasue the school's priority deadline was last week.) She doesn't feel like I could be successful with that degree (granted this is the same womand that didn't think I could do anything with a bachelors in psychology and frequently confused it with philosophy. She keeps trying to push me into computer engineering which I'm not paticularly interested in (she tried to push me into it 6 years ago too when I was starting my college planning. Hubby is all for the MBA, and I am getting good vibes off it. Though, frankly, I really don't know and I kinda want to make a decision so I can start acting on it next semester.
There is no point working towards a goal you have no interest in reaching, as when/if things get tough your desire to do it will not be enough to get you through.
HippieVan at 3:41PM, Dec. 7, 2011
(online)
Just found out that my great-aunt died. I only met her twice, but she was the one who put me up when I was in London and we spent some good time together then. I'm quite upset. I wish I could be there for the funeral.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 5:29PM, Dec. 7, 2011
(online)
ugh… sleep problems again. No matter how much I sleep or how much coffee I take in (without sugar) for some reason there are those times when I'm pretty sure I'm going to just fall asleep no matter what I'm doing. X_X
Ozoneocean at 6:39PM, Dec. 7, 2011
(online)
@Hippie- that's sad about your great aunt… Congrats on meing our community spotlit person though. But that doesn't make up for the loss :(

@Lonne- coffee doesn't help in the end. Exercise does though. That gets the heart going nicely… Do about 20 to 25 quick push ups and maybe some other stuff too. That really helped me. There's definitely a lessening of the sudden sleepiness after a few days. Getting to sleep at around the same time every night and eating right is also important. Boring as all that sounds. :)

PEOPLE! We need your contributions to the genre thread for this week's podcast! Please :)
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/174831/
Ozoneocean at 9:46PM, Dec. 7, 2011
(online)
You know, we're getting way less activity on the forums than we even had when the site first came back after its big death in the last days of Cecember 2005!
Combination of shitty forums, bugs and Christmas coming up…
Lonnehart at 11:01PM, Dec. 7, 2011
(online)
Heh… I find that THIS forum section alone is getting most of the attention. We should probably do some serious advertising or something…

I wonder if removing my case cover and photographing the innards (including all those messy cables) will attract more attention…

Probably not, but it's worth trying. :)
bravo1102 at 1:43AM, Dec. 8, 2011
(offline)
@Niccea: one of the most useful graduate degrees in today's business climate is an MBA. It's a basic like an undergrad degee in Business Administration was twenty years ago. Do it.

I keep getting called in to work but can't because of the schedule I keep caring for the wife. Her pain is really getting bad as she's coming off the hard pain meds and the bones are really coming together around the hardware in her one ankle eight weeks after the injury. Lovely. And I have my eight hour SORA recertification class today. *yawn* Last one I did I was the only one who managed to stay awake.
Ozoneocean at 3:52AM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
Searchable Ornithological Research Archive?
Sora - Kingdom Hearts?
Sora: Tribe. Sora is the tribe inhabitant the districts of West Siang and East Siang of Arunachal Pradesh in the North-East Indian Himalayas…?
Sora is a Canadian singer/songwriter whose music is a fusion of folk, celtic, world and neo-classical?
Sora is a novel software radio platform with fully programmability on commodity PC architectures?
Sudanese Online Research Association?
bravo1102 at 3:57AM, Dec. 8, 2011
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Searchable Ornithological Research Archive?
Sora - Kingdom Hearts?
Sora: Tribe. Sora is the tribe inhabitant the districts of West Siang and East Siang of Arunachal Pradesh in the North-East Indian Himalayas…?
Sora is a Canadian singer/songwriter whose music is a fusion of folk, celtic, world and neo-classical?
Sora is a novel software radio platform with fully programmability on commodity PC architectures?
Sudanese Online Research Association?
SORA: Security Officer Registration Act.

The least interesting of the above choices.
Ozoneocean at 5:47AM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
Even more than the programming one?
Popular acronym.

———
Lettering my current page now finally. Always a chore…
The continuing Sisyphean saga that is the creation of each page of Pinky TA. But unlike Sisyphus, at least I have something to show at the end of each trial, for him it was always back to the start.

I need to draw more sexy bods… drawing these war machines all the time is a little dry,
Niccea at 6:33AM, Dec. 8, 2011
(offline)
I really need to lay off facebook for a while. Right now all my classmates are posting “I graduate next week!” But update to the saga. I applied to the grad school Tuesfday night and yesterday I emailed some old teachers begging for last minute recommendation letters. The teacher that presided over kicking me out of OT school got me a real complementary one within 2 hours of my original email. And the other one I emailed promised me one this morning and knowing him, it might be more like this afternoon. I guess that is a silver lining…I didn't get kicked out of school because my teachers hated my guts, just because I sucked at OT.
Im writing on behalf of (Niccea) and her interest in pursuing a degree in
business management. (Niccea) undertook coursework in occupational therapy for a period of
time. (Niccea) is a very sound student academically, but the clinical environment of health
care services might not have been the best fit with her math and computer strengths. So I
was excited to hear that shes interested in aspects of a business career. I believe (Niccea)
could find a good match here.
(Niccea) is methodical and logical in her approach to tasks; she demonstrates dependability in
meeting deadlines, following through with commitments and responsibilities. She can
adapt to necessary changes and make compromises with others when appropriate; she was
a hard working member of student group assignments. She demonstrates commitment and
focus in her studies.
I would recommend (Niccea) for a graduate course in business studies. Please feel
free to contact me if you need further information.
Nothing like an ego stoke.
last edited on Dec. 8, 2011 6:37AM
Macattack at 7:46AM, Dec. 8, 2011
(offline)
BONJOUR! I have been off of these waaaaay too long….. considering I was going to change my avatar and then was like “Oh hey… it's winter again I don't have to!” Anyways… busy year busy year and as this seems to be the only section rapidly updating…. What all have I missed??
Ozoneocean at 9:05AM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
@Niccea- Good on ya gal!
Macattack wrote:
What all have I missed??
Skoolmunkee had Bravo's baby, but then she cheated on him with Lonnehart. he found out and took the baby away to raise it as a single parent in Barbados.

But his evil twin brother Ironscarf tracked him down and stole the baby and Bravo's moustaches, leaving Bravo utterly bereft and dejected.

Meanwhile, Ironscarf impersonated Bravo and got Skoolmunkee to take him back (thinking he was Bravo). The baby started to speak however and was about to spill the beans on Ironscarf, when he thrust it into a time machine and sent it into the past to keep it quiet.

Ayesinback, a wealthy heiress of the lichenbacher chewingum billions, schemed to take a controlling interest in drunk duck with the help of the evil Ironscarf, but her daughter Rokulily foiled her plans with the assistance of her mysterious Latin lover, Product Placement. But it turned out that Product Placement wasn't Latin at all! He was actually part of a secret terrorist Icelandic plot, involving his fellow countryman Gulas, their sole goal being to kidnap Skoolmunkee and make her the queen of all Iceland!

But in a crazy twist they mistakenly kidnapped Hippie Van instead. Hippie has been queen of Iceland for 5 months now.

Oh, and in an even crazier twist, it turns out that I was in fact the baby that was sent back in time! I only doscovered it the other day when I suddenly went bald in the same place as Bravo, and grew a pair of boxing gloves. That's right, SKoolmunkee is my real mother and Bravo is my dad!
DUN DUN DUN!
Genejoke at 9:21AM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
Ozone, you really should write superhero comics… you'd be a natural.
Macattack at 10:47AM, Dec. 8, 2011
(offline)
hmmm glad to see I didn't miss anything out of the ordinary. 10 to 1 you're now going to try and interfere with history to foil the evil ironscarf however this will cause a rip in the time space continuum (If he prevents himself from being sent to the past then how will he be there to warn the future/past selves etc) which will then lead to many questions, dozens of fan fictions and a writer strike. Finally we'll all discover we're really dead and head towards an elaborate purgatory to hide making it all alright.
Also why would they bother making skoolmunkee queen of Iceland? isn't she already queen of the entire world??
Niccea at 1:57PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(offline)
Don't forget me the Empress. I had an epic battle with the most evil man in the world (Roy Duncan. Somewhere between learning I as skoolmunkee and ozone's love child.
gullas at 4:32PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(offline)
huh… we might possibly have the next community project here… Super Hero comic based on the avatars of the users? BRILLIANT!
rokulily at 4:55PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
i can't keep the people around me in line. first my mom trys to take over drunkduck and then my kaerasti kidnaps hippievan? clearly i must do something drastic and awesome. luckily my avatar is always ready to be awesome

also i miss my rival. hope he's alright
Niccea at 5:43PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(offline)
Actually, Ozone's narrative reminded me of a soap.
Macattack at 5:51PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(offline)
I'm deffinately with Nicea on this one. Definately a soap. I've tried several times to get my user name into a story of some type over the years (you'd think with a name like Macattack it would be easy… surprisingly not) I'm totally picturing an oceans 11 motiff with the users here though. “The plotter, the villain, the mastermind, the queen, the insane one, the one who's just ready for AWESOME” etc :P
Ozoneocean at 7:43PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
Wow, already talks of a new community project? o_O
It could work… could.
It'd be better as a story though, because that'd be way too much for me to even think of drawing. It could work well as radio soap on the Quackcast. I could read it all out in weekly instalments. ^_^

whoever wants to could write up their own adventures based on whoever they want.

@Niccea- you're The love child from Skoolmunkee and I? Considering Skool is my future/past mum, that's horribly incestuous! No wonder you have pointy ears…

In our next instalment, learn about the dastardly scheme cooked up by Genejoke and Macattack to curtail DD's butter supplies and force us all to use margarine!
gullas at 7:45PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
In our next instalment, learn about the dastardly scheme cooked up by Genejoke and Macattack to curtail DD's butter supplies and force us all to use margarine!
THE HORRORS!!!!
Ozoneocean at 7:49PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(online)
gullas wrote:
THE HORRORS!!!!
I know. Those two have no conscience, no humanity. :(

Actually I reckon that if we do this, ANYONE who wants will be able to read out their weekly instalment of the story.
I'm going to make a new thread now!

Submit anything here:
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/174836/
last edited on Dec. 8, 2011 8:04PM
Macattack at 8:08PM, Dec. 8, 2011
(offline)
BUTTER IS BAD FOR YOUR ARTERIES!!!!! I'M ONLY DOING IT FOR THE SAKES OF THE OBESE CHILDREN OF THE FUTURE!!!! MARGERINE ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon