Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA!
Lonnehart at 3:48PM, Feb. 13, 2012
(online)
I don't get “men” these days. I'm playing The Sims 3 to relax on my day off today and my neighbor sees me. He then accuses me of being “girly” because I'm playing with a virtual dollhouse. He even refuses to acknowledge that this is a video game, not some model house with plastic figurines inside. Makes me wonder how his mind ended stuck in the old victorian days…

Shouldn't matter though. I let him know that I'm man enough to play this game and I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I'm also man enough to watch cute animal videos… especially the one where the rabbit keeps biting the snake ‘til it tries to ru… er… slither away as fast as possible finally escaping up a tree…

And for those of you “men” who claim you didn’t play with dolls, but instead with Acton Figures… better accept the fact that you were playing with dolls. They're just called “action figures” so young boys don't feel so bad about it… That's my guess anyway.

So what do we call those transforming robots? Toy cars, or robot dolls?

precccioussss coffffeeee…..bwahahaha!!! >:-D
last edited on Feb. 13, 2012 3:51PM
Ozoneocean at 5:03PM, Feb. 13, 2012
(online)
Careful Lonne… (Bravo)

Speaking of “men” I had a funny conversation with a co-worker:
She was talking about her sister going out with an SAS (Like a Navy SEAL) guy and how controlled and strange he seems, and I mentioned I'd known a guy in the police SWAT team once and how he was built like superman, very super ultra-masculine and I wondered how that could appeal to women…
Soooo funny. As soon as it was out of my mouth I realised how amazingly stupid a question that was. Doh! >_<

Funny about that guy though, he gave me a whole load of his old fantasy books, all by Katherine Ker. I found them too girly and naive to get into.
Also, I met a lot of UFC fighters at Comic Con last year; big, massively muscled, scary looking monsters, but as a man all were gentle, polite and some even a bit effeminate…
Guess it's all about image and projection.
Macattack at 5:48PM, Feb. 13, 2012
(offline)
@Lonne: If it makes you feel any better I can quote Pride and Prejudice off by heart and enjoy cheesy romances… if people question my manliness I just sigh heavily and feel sorry that they still feel they have to work so hard to prove they're men :P … Either that or they see me playing halo or some other videogame involving high explosives…. or just high explosives in general and realize I'm still a guy at heart >:)
I'm going to try to not go into a rant about the state of the reputation of men these days and how far downhill it's gone…. but it is a pretty big pet peeve of mine :P *resisting urge… avoiding trouble…*
Ozoneocean at 6:45PM, Feb. 13, 2012
(online)
Mac, you could be our new Kyupol if you do :)

Most men are manlier and matier around other men or strangers they're unsure about and all all considerate, gentle etc around women, parents or those who they share a passion with.
Same but different with women- Girlier around men or strangers, matier or more “boyish” with each other and friends etc.

It's funny how people change in situations, isn't it?
I noticed it with my students when teaching. Grown, controlled, highly inteligent, older, powerful adults turning into little kids when talking to “teacher”. Same with the cool, hip, groovy young 20's and so on. Bizarre.

I think men in general are tending to lose the ultra-maleness a bit though. There's a lot more of the, almost girliness, about now…
Nothing wrong with that, I'm definitely NOT the most male archetype around, but it is interesting/
Product Placement at 9:53PM, Feb. 13, 2012
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
This has all been reported in Skeptical Enquirer and The Skeptic
While I'm sure these are fine articles, one can't help but to think that the names of these magazines were poorly considered. Names like the “The skeptic” screams of bias, which will target those who are likely to already agree with the contents, while scaring off those who'd be more critical.

Special interest magazines carry the stigma of containing nothing more than pandering for those who wish to hear nothing but stuff that won't challenge their perfect world view and thus anyone who isn't already a follower of this way of thinking, is likely to avoid it.

You'd have a hard time convincing a devoted Christian to read an article from a magazine called “The Atheist weekly”. Similarly allot of people will automatically believe that whatever content “Evangelist times” contains is nothing more than religious propaganda.

Not sure where I'm going with this. I'm just someone who likes my media to be neutral, even though there's no such thing as a neutral viewpoint.
ozoneocean wrote:
Also, I met a lot of UFC fighters at Comic Con last year; big, massively muscled, scary looking monsters, but as a man all were gentle, polite and some even a bit effeminate…
Guess it's all about image and projection.
You know, I'm already forming a plausible theory behind this interesting trend that you noticed. How likely do you think that these big burly men were being extensively bullied, back in the days when they were wimpy little effeminate boys? Perhaps they were forced to learn to fight early on, which affected their upbringing to the point where they picked fighting as a career choice.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on Feb. 13, 2012 9:54PM
Lonnehart at 10:18PM, Feb. 13, 2012
(online)
Or maybe they're just big gentle effeminate guys who love a good brawl?

Okay… I'm creeped out by the smooshed TV looking object at the bottom left of my browser window whenever I check this site…
bravo1102 at 11:35PM, Feb. 13, 2012
(offline)
Product Placement wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
This has all been reported in Skeptical Enquirer and The Skeptic
While I'm sure these are fine articles, one can't help but to think that the names of these magazines were poorly considered. Names like the “The skeptic” screams of bias, which will target those who are likely to already agree with the contents, while scaring off those who'd be more critical.
Special interest magazines carry the stigma of containing nothing more than pandering for those who wish to hear nothing but stuff that won't challenge their perfect world view and thus anyone who isn't already a follower of this way of thinking, is likely to avoid it.
You'd have a hard time convincing a devoted Christian to read an article from a magazine called “The Atheist weekly”. Similarly allot of people will automatically believe that whatever content “Evangelist times” contains is nothing more than religious propaganda.
Not sure where I'm going with this. I'm just someone who likes my media to be neutral, even though there's no such thing as a neutral viewpoint.
Both magazines are devoted to rational investigation based on evidence, critical thinking and observation. Opinion doesn't enter into it until after the evidence is examined. It is the most neutral reporting I've been able to find outside of actual scientific journals.

And frankly more Christians would do well to read “Free Inquiry” or “The Atheist” for the same reasons I do read “Calvary News” “Evangelist Times” etc. You just might learn how someone else thinks so you can combat the ignorance and lack of thought their belief system is based on whether as a theist or atheist. Sun Tzu said “know youropponent as yourself”
Product Placement at 11:48PM, Feb. 13, 2012
(online)
Note that I already did mention that the articles are probably good. However my point is that the term “Skeptic” is generally considered to be negative. Skeptic means someone who's skeptical, is hard to convince of something, distrustful.

Anyone who has never picked up a magazine of The skeptic and hears about it for the first time is more than likely to quickly form the opinion that it's probably something that goes out of the way to nitpick common myths and beliefs.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
Lonnehart at 5:05AM, Feb. 14, 2012
(online)
Picked up Resident Evil Revelations. I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Though I'm stuck in that one part where all your weapons have been taken away… Played for a good long while before I realized something… that sickness you're supposed to feel when you're viewing it too long doesn't seem to happen to me…

Also picked got Mighty Switch Force and Zen Pinball from the online store. Those Hooligan Sisters in the Mighty Switch Force game wear very skimpy prison outfits…
last edited on Feb. 14, 2012 5:13AM
ayesinback at 6:32AM, Feb. 14, 2012
(online)
Happy Valentine's Day one and all. For many years, I've chosen to ignore the Romance and Passion attributed to the day (after all - romance and passion tend to end badly if you look at the classics) and focus on the warmth of the heart. warm wishes to everybody :)

— so manliness, ey?
I suggest looking at the phrase “man up”. Essentially, I think of it as “take responsibility” or “do for yourself”. “Stand on your own two feet.” Not: 6-pack abs, battleship biceps, 2+ metres in height, etc.

but then, that means women could be “manly”. It's pretty straight-forward: “Man” means adult male. there's not much debate about what makes one male – but adult? Again, imo, an adult is self-sufficient, and makes some time to “give back” / contribute to others' needs.

If anyone of any age devotes the majority of his/her time in entertaining oneself, whether that is video games, or sex, or drinking, whatever, I try not to judge, but I don't take them seriously as an adult.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
rokulily at 7:13AM, Feb. 14, 2012
(online)
that's it i'm having a tea party
Macattack at 8:58AM, Feb. 14, 2012
(offline)
@Rokulily: Can I wear a tux??
@ others: I've never really been a fan of the media… I guess having family around the world has kind of ruined it for me as I hear what they're going through vs what the media says. My comic even covers the entire issue of the power media seems to have these days over public opinion. Personally I think the problem is that they changed it so that media is a business first and public service second. I mean if there's a newspaper or magazine out there which is trying to simply warn or inform society than cool, but more often than not it seems they just make misleading headlines and create panic attacks to draw the reader's attention and to sell more papers :/
That being said I'm totally aware that everything we write is with bias and even basic stats can be biased, but still, the system we have right now doesn't seem to be working. I prefer trying to get information on what's happening first hand if I can
rokulily at 9:37AM, Feb. 14, 2012
(online)
at mac- oh of course you can wear a tux. toyed with the idea of wearing fancy stuff myself but i have furniture making today and i'm not too sure how i feel being dressed to the nines at the ol' buzzsaw

as far as the media goes i always like to remember the saying history is written by the victors, it's full of the stories told the way someone else wants it to be preceived and you have to dig and think about things for yourself to get a better grasp on what really happened.
Lonnehart at 12:02PM, Feb. 14, 2012
(online)
*yawn* a brand new day. And I've got tons of stuff to do even though it's my second day off (I get two so the company doesn't have to pay overtime). Cutting down the lawn, grocery shopping, making sure my POV (Personally Owned Vehicle) is in good working order for the next week… And of course getting my uniform ready for the next workweek grind. And hopefully the boss doesn't put herself in the field during MY shift… I hate having to deal with office staff. I'm not totally happy with work… the moped that some people attempted to steal a couple weeks ago was stolen this time. Thethieves waited ‘til my day off, then had one person distract the guy who replaced me on tuesday nights while some other guy and his friends threw the thing in the back of their truck. I’m glad the owner was understanding when he discussed this with me the night before last. He knows I'm off on certain nights. I hope he considers my advice next time he buys a moped… get some large object to attach it to next time he leaves it out in the garage (his apartment has no room inside). ANY LARGE OBJECT! He tried to just secure the back wheel, but… well… that didn't work too well as mopeds could just be carried off by a few people…

Oh, well… time to sharpen the heavy macheteblades. My lawn is going to get a grasscut today. :)
last edited on Feb. 14, 2012 1:34PM
Ozoneocean at 6:28PM, Feb. 14, 2012
(online)
Coming up with designs for logos or uniform styles for sporting teams is always a F-ing nightmare. As a rule, sporting teams as a whole or at least the people in charge of getting the logos and uniforms done are the most styless, tasteless unfortunate excuses for aesthetically challenged human beings.

If all those big famous sports teams people love so much had their logos and uniforms designed by the players instead of the corporate entities that actually do the work for them it would be a hilarious vomitsome mess.

Time and again I work my arse off to comic up with something stylish, striking, clever, cool, modern and exciting and they come back to me with some cartoon that looks like it was drawn by a severely retarded 5 year old, or some insane idea about covering a t_shirt with a collage of photos.
These are the people who make me want to quit my job.
Niccea at 7:46PM, Feb. 14, 2012
(offline)
It finally happened. Mr. Niccea has joined Drunk Duck. Be nice to Ice Pick.
Macattack at 7:57PM, Feb. 14, 2012
(offline)
haha awesome! Welcome to the, occassionally disfunctional but always loveable webcomic family Ice Pick!
Ozoneocean at 9:02PM, Feb. 14, 2012
(online)
He's got a nice avatar!

——

My next design for this team will make them look like court jesters.
They want stupid?
I can do stupid.
They'll look like a joke. ^_^
bravo1102 at 10:56PM, Feb. 14, 2012
(offline)
Niccea wrote:
It finally happened. Mr. Niccea has joined Drunk Duck. Be nice to Ice Pick.
Be nice or else that Ice Pick will be in your forehead.

So most recent count I have managed once again to kill threads.I can even kill the REDUX: updatethread in Meet, Greet, Show and tell. These are the times when I just want to sell off the dolls. It doesn't help that money is getting very tight because the wife's salary match ran out and the powers that be like to wait forever to process claims.

Good news is that she has found an attorney in California and the case has been filed. Here's hping the City of San Francisco is as liberal as everyone tells me and just settles with a large check.
Lonnehart at 11:45PM, Feb. 14, 2012
(online)
Heh… would've visited my nieces and nephews today except one of them came down with scarlet fever. Sandpaper-like skin and sore throat… and whatever other symptoms it has. Thing is… I've never seen it here before. My youngest nephew is the first case I know of now and apparently it is contagious. Judging from what my niece was telling me, it doesn't seem too bad, though. :(
Kroatz at 5:05AM, Feb. 15, 2012
(online)
HELLO EVERYONE!

I would like all of you to respond to this post:

http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/174998/

The guy is working on the same project that I am working on and I recommended The Duck to him.

PLEASE.

Respond.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Ozoneocean at 6:37AM, Feb. 15, 2012
(online)
Bravo, you don't kill threads, it's natural causes! ^_^

OMFG! I did NOT realise it would take me from bloody 4 in the afternoon till 10:30 at night to finish scripting the latest DD soap and then parcelling out all the lines.
Bloody hell I am tired now! And I STILL have to do my feature.
Jebus…

Imagine how much extra work it'd be if I also had to write the thing from scratch??? o_O
Thank heavens for people like Bravo1102, and I mean that sincerely!

————

@Kroatz
Best to describe what it's about, that will make it more enticing for people to have a look at the link.
Also, since this place is so quiet now the best way to get people onboard is to directly approach artists here that you know and have a good relationship with- PQs of course are pretty useless without notifications so comments in their threads on the forums or on their comics would be a good idea.
There's also the DD Facebook pages:
http://www.facebook.com/DrunkDuckcomics
This one is a closed group so you have to ask to join:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/drunk.duck/
last edited on Feb. 15, 2012 6:45AM
Macattack at 8:52AM, Feb. 15, 2012
(offline)
@Lonnehart: What's with everyone getting Scarlet fever all of a sudden?? It's like my past coming back to haunt me! I'm sorry to hear that though. Bright side is that if it's like Canada they'll get Banana flavoured medicine which is like the ONLY good tastine medicine out there.
Also Birthday today! Yay?? 21?? <:I—-< (that's me blowing those blowy things at birthday parties) I really don't know how to feel about this. I had a rough life growing up and it never really clicked in my mind that I'd live this long. I mean I had figured out plans for 10 years old, 15, 16, 18, 20, but nothing after. Ah well whatever comes next it's been a crazy ride so far, let's see what comes next
bravo1102 at 9:41AM, Feb. 15, 2012
(offline)
Imagine how much extra work it'd be if I also had to write the thing from scratch??? o_O
Thank heavens for people like Bravo1102, and I mean that sincerely!
Thank you, you are most kind. With Ironscarf finally making his appearance the story could reach a new low but then I always liked Terry-Thomas and he makes the perfect villian. This could easily veer into one of those all-star 1960's crazy/wacky comedieslike those Daring Young men in their Flying machines or It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World that I grew up watching.
Macattack at 9:59AM, Feb. 15, 2012
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
This could easily veer into one of those all-star 1960's crazy/wacky comedieslike those Daring Young men in their Flying machines or It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World that I grew up watching.
“Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines” I've always loved that one and “It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World”. “The Great Race” is also pretty similar to that. Basically little to no story line and numerous famous people making cameos and having fun together. Gotta love it
rokulily at 11:22AM, Feb. 15, 2012
(online)
good luck macattack, have a happy birthday and do your best to enjoy life!
Lonnehart at 2:21PM, Feb. 15, 2012
(online)
Ugh… don't wanna work tonight. But I must. Without a job I don't get that green rag paper. And without that green rag paper I don't have anything to trade for food, water, electricity, etc… I wonder why we can't just trade holographic plastic paper instead? At least that paper would be more entertaining to look at.

Just noticed this in the stores. Imitation Shark Fin. I'll bet that won't curb all the shark hunting going on… cutting off their fins then throwing the rest of the shark back into the ocean. What a waste..
HippieVan at 5:21PM, Feb. 15, 2012
(online)
It's funny how eager everyone is to get me back into a job right away. Now I'm no lazybones, I like to work, but I've had so many issues with anxiety and it's actually been really nice for me to just take time to work on that. Since I quit my job I've started feeling a lot better about going out - I was getting quite agoraphobic over the last couple years. I think now that may have been partly because I hadn't had more than two days off in a row(and even that was lucky) in two years. I've never coped with stress very well.

When people ask me if I'm looking for a new job I've been consistently telling them that I don't have to worry about money so I'm not too worried about finding a job, but the first thing out of every older person's mouth is “SO HOW IS THE JOB HUNT??” What job hunt? I wouldn't mind having another job but I'm certainly in no hurry.

The only acceptable excuse for not working seems to be travelling.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
bravo1102 at 10:34PM, Feb. 15, 2012
(offline)
Hippie Van wrote:
It's funny how eager everyone is to get me back into a job right away… I like to work, but I've had so many issues with anxiety and it's actually been really nice for me to just take time to work on that. Since I quit my job I've started feeling a lot better about going out - I was getting quite agoraphobic over the last couple years….
When people ask me if I'm looking for a new job I've been consistently telling them that I don't have to worry about money…
The only acceptable excuse for not working seems to be travelling.
Or disability/injury. I'mdeveloping the same condition. I work three days a week and on thefourth day I'm shaking and on the verge of tears. Gives me pause about going back to full time work.

But then the wife and I do have serious concerns about money. After all how can I get new outfits for my dolls in that comic no one reads if there's no money?

@Lonneheart: I'm surprised at you. Paper currency is facinating especially when you start looking at all the threads and color variation and symbology. It's like some kind of mystical document as oppsed to simple paper currency.
Genejoke at 1:38AM, Feb. 16, 2012
(online)
So most recent count I have managed once again to kill threads.I can even kill the REDUX: updatethread in Meet, Greet, Show and tell. These are the times when I just want to sell off the dolls. It doesn't help that money is getting very tight because the wife's salary match ran out and the powers that be like to wait forever to process claims.
Fixed.
Have a job interview today, it's nothing special but it's the first interview I've had in ages.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon