Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2015 Rant/Share/General Discussion thread
bravo1102 at 3:03AM, Feb. 28, 2015
(offline)
Leonard Nimoy had a great career and to me Star Trek was only one of many high points. In fact my favorite was his narration of the old TV series In Search of... and his stint as narrator of Ancient Mysteries. Eighty-four years is a great run.
Remember.
Ironscarf at 3:17AM, Feb. 28, 2015
(offline)
This short clip from The Way To Eden says it much better than I could.
Genejoke at 11:21AM, Feb. 28, 2015
(online)
Like has been said, 84 years is a damn good run.
KimLuster at 5:43AM, March 1, 2015
(online)
I lovedLenardNimoy as Spock! Everything Spock said and did I ate up…! I'd always had a hard time seeing Nimoy as anything but Spock! Whenever he performed anything I saw Spock! (a phenomenon that irrated him at points in his life - see his ‘I am not Spock’ memoir)
But then one day I came across this… Nimoy sings the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins hehe, everyone has that ‘one bad decision’! I still love Nimoy, and ‘Live Long and Prosper’ is a worthy RL farewell amongst friends!
last edited on March 1, 2015 5:44AM
Gunwallace at 1:24PM, March 1, 2015
(offline)
Had a great deal of fun over the weekend (it's Monday here now) putting together a short music comedy theme tune with the wonderful voice talents of Banes and Ozoneocean. But there were some unexpected fish that kept turning up.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Kroatz at 2:15PM, March 1, 2015
(online)
So, I've bee spending most of my week with the most amazing girl. She's there when I wake up, and she's there when I fall asleep, and I've rarely been happier in my life. Some of you guys have been here for a few years, and been there for a lot of the growing up I have done for the past few years, but this is the first time I really feel like a grown-up, like there's a place for me in normal society, like I could be happy with someone.

It's the best feeling in the world.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
bravo1102 at 3:34AM, March 2, 2015
(offline)
KimLuster wrote:
(a phenomenon that irrated him at points in his life - see his ‘I am not Spock’ memoir)
But then one day I came across this… Nimoy sings the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins hehe, everyone has that ‘one bad decision’! I still love Nimoy, and ‘Live Long and Prosper’ is a worthy RL farewell amongst friends!
I love that song.
Took years to figure out that the guy who took over for Martin Landau in Mission Impossible was also Leonard Nimoy. And the shows were filmed on neighboring sets. My local stations showed the re-runs back to back. Leonard Nimoy more than just Spock.
Genejoke at 10:36AM, March 2, 2015
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
So, I've bee spending most of my week with the most amazing girl. She's there when I wake up, and she's there when I fall asleep, and I've rarely been happier in my life. Some of you guys have been here for a few years, and been there for a lot of the growing up I have done for the past few years, but this is the first time I really feel like a grown-up, like there's a place for me in normal society, like I could be happy with someone.

It's the best feeling in the world.
That's awesome man. Just take it easy and enjoy.
KimLuster at 5:39PM, March 2, 2015
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
KimLuster wrote:
(a phenomenon that irrated him at points in his life - see his ‘I am not Spock’ memoir)
I love that song.
Ha, I like it too, but in that oh-my-god-what-was-I-thinking kind of way! Like when I look back and see old pics - how my hair used to look :D… It is catchy - I found myself singing it all day when I first came accross it *Bilbo…Bilbo Baggins…The Bravest Hobbit of them all…*
Banes at 8:47PM, March 2, 2015
(offline)
Oh man, that's hilarious!!
I haven't read the “I Am Not Spock” memoir…but I did read the decades-later follow up, “I AM SPOCK”. It was terrific - and the bits of the other Trek memoirs I've read seemed like they copied the tone/style of Nimoy's.

Ozoneocean at 8:54PM, March 2, 2015
(online)
Gunwallace wrote:
Had a great deal of fun over the weekend (it's Monday here now) putting together a short music comedy theme tune with the wonderful voice talents of Banes and Ozoneocean. But there were some unexpected fish that kept turning up.

That is exactly what I looked like doing the part :D

———-

That pic of spoc with the high red collar and white bowtie is very close to what my dad looked like back in the ‘70s… sans the tie and collar.

———-

Congrats to Kroatz!

———-

I’ve watched most of Acher now. It's a great show. The 3rd season wasn't as good as the rest but it bounced back in the 4th and the 5th was great too. Starting on the 6th now.

———-

My sister does a kind of Filipino stickfighting called “Eskrima”. The moves are the same as those for European sword fighting -with edged swords, not thrust-centric like foils etc.
Her and her boyfirend displyed some of the moves for me. I gave her boyfrined a couple of my sabres to use instead, so they both fough two handed: her using the two sticks and him with a sabre in each hand. It was VERY cool.
They were both used to using sticks so the wieght of the swords was unusual to them, which was why I gave him the sabres instead of her. He's a lont stonger so the wieght and balance wasn't as much a problem for him.
They put on an amazing display.I'll have to film them doing that one day.
bravo1102 at 8:52AM, March 3, 2015
(offline)
KimLuster wrote:
Ha, I like it too, but in that oh-my-god-what-was-I-thinking kind of way! Like when I look back and see old pics - how my hair used to look :D… It is catchy - I found myself singing it all day when I first came accross it *Bilbo…Bilbo Baggins…The Bravest Hobbit of them all…*

I taped it back in the 1970's off Dr. Demento and since I was a Tolkien fan I … learned all the words and would sing it to myself in school. Notice the Frodo Lives buttons on the pixies in the video. THAT was HUGE on campus in the 1960's. It appeared everywhere along with I Grok Spock. (From the Bob Heinlein novel Stranger in the Strange Land)Now that deserves a movie more than Jack Kerouac.

That was what everyone else was into when the tiny minority that were hippies stole all the attention. (last poll said 10-12%)
HippieVan at 11:25PM, March 3, 2015
(online)
I'm so freaking sick of running my student group. At this point I'd just like to kind of wrap things up until next year and let the 2015/16 exec start fresh, but I still have some upcoming commitments. It is WAY more trouble than it's worth, particularly because I literally haven't seen or heard from my Vice President since last semester. Getting people to help with a student group/show up to events is a really weird situation. You get the same social loafing effect that you get in any group, but it's also impossible to institute any kind of discipline because then it starts to feel like an obligation to the members and they'll just stop showing up entirely. Anyway, I spent ages putting together a behind-the-scenes tour of a local museum specifically tailored to our group, with a limited number of slots available because of museum rules. The tour is tomorrow…I had three people cancel on me TODAY, including one just now at 1am. All of them could easily have told me days or even weeks ago that they wouldn't be able to make it after all. I don't think people realize how much work it takes to put together even small events for a group of people, and how rude that is to cancel without advance notice.
If anyone doesn't show up tomorrow, I'm going to flip the fuck out.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
bravo1102 at 3:41AM, March 4, 2015
(offline)
HippieVan wrote:
I don't think people realize how much work it takes to put together even small events for a group of people, and how rude that is to cancel without advance notice.

This is why my sister stopped planning special get togethers with my college age nephews. It's not you, it's not any special dicipline problem, it is a stage of human development. Doesn't make it any less rude or irresponsible but it does make it easier to endure.

And you do know about the 5-15% rule about groups. Any group will have 5-15% who do more than 80-90% of the planning and over half of the work and the rest are followers who fill in the holes. I once was at a model show and found the other judges had each done a handful of categories, leaving a full third of them for me and one another guy to do on the fly. Then there was another show where I did three shifts judging because no one else could be bothered to volunteer. I knew the group percentages so I knew someone had to do it so it might as well be me.
Ozoneocean at 8:54AM, March 4, 2015
(online)
Heh, that reminds me of Skoolmunkee. She used to be that 5%. She would do an enormous amount of work. She really took up the slack, wherever it was: community projects, anything, not just admin work.
Then she burned out and became the complete opposite. I was doing her stuff as well as mine. I hated badgering her in any way because of how great she'd been, so I let it slide more and more, and it got slowly worse, then she formally quit.
Fair enough!
Unlink the people Hippie mentions, she'd done more than her for share in the past. She earned her break.
Kroatz at 9:43AM, March 4, 2015
(online)
I've been both the lazy one, and the project puller. I have to say that I prefer to be the one that actually contributes, mostly because that makes it possible for me to put my own stamp on the project. I can never really get mad when people don't do their work, because I've been on that side of the project as well.
We're all just people, I guess, although I can understand that inactivity of those around you can be a big bummer. I'm sure those of you that are waiting for the DD Radioplay to kick into high gear are feeling that right now as well.
Breaking appointments is something I do feel very strongly about though. It is ok if you don't really pull your weight, but just make sure you do what you promised. Get to appointments on time, show up when you promised to, and work on the stuff you are supposed to work on. I always feel bad when I am forced to not live up to my promises. I guess I should promise less.

- - -

I thank those of you that responded to my lovey-dovey post. She's very pretty, amazingly smart, unendingly interesting, and I would just like to share that little bit of happiness with all of you.

Anyone else recently in love? I think we're far enough from Valentine's to be able to talk about this without any of the mandatory exaggerated emotional expressions of faux feelings and forced friendliness concerning the fresh feelings of smitten sharers of that something special called love. I still think love is just the result of brain chemistry gone horribly wrong, but I guess that does not mean that it is unimportant.

- - -

I'd love to see those hypothetical eskrima videos, Oz. I've also been told that you've got some stuff out there yourself, so I'll be sure to check that out too.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
HippieVan at 3:40PM, March 4, 2015
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Heh, that reminds me of Skoolmunkee. She used to be that 5%. She would do an enormous amount of work. She really took up the slack, wherever it was: community projects, anything, not just admin work.
Then she burned out and became the complete opposite. I was doing her stuff as well as mine. I hated badgering her in any way because of how great she'd been, so I let it slide more and more, and it got slowly worse, then she formally quit.
Fair enough!
Unlink the people Hippie mentions, she'd done more than her for share in the past. She earned her break.

I think I'm probably feeling a lot like skoolmunkee right now. I've done plenty of shorter projects where I was the only one doing any real work and I don't usually care too much, but I've basically been doing this one for two years now and it's taking its toll. I really just want to completely give up and let other people worry about things(or not, whatever), but I can't quite make myself do it. The end isn't too far away, at least.

I keep meaning to tell you and kawaii and Banes how lovely it's been working alongside people who actually get things done and have a good time with it and everything! :)

@bravo: That number sounds about right. There is one other girl (who is the best) who helps me out a lot despite only being the group's secretary, but that's it. You could probably figure out numbers for other types of people, too. People who show up to meetings/events but won't help out unless individually told/asked what to do. People who make vague commitments but never follow through. People who make firm commitments and then fall off the face of the earth.
last edited on March 4, 2015 3:41PM
bravo1102 at 4:00PM, March 4, 2015
(offline)
I got my Leonard Nimoy head but it's one portraying him from the ST movies. I did some sanding of the jowls and around the eyes to get rid of the wrinkles so he loks more like from The Original Series.
The figure he;s going on has shipped but the easiest I can expect it is April. WHen something comes from Asia they always over estimate the shipping time. It is coming from Hong Kong so shouldn't get trapped like that little package that took two months to come from mainland China.

I redid my Lon CHaney jr. figure and while cutting out the neck stem sliced my finger but good. And cutting away from me. Those long fingers just got in the way. The bleeding didn't stop for a long time. Even used a bit of cyano glue to glue the skin together. And wouldn't you know I couldn't find any first aid supplies in the house under all the clutter? I ended up using a cotton ball taped on with electircal tape. When all the excitement subsided I was able to look more thoroughly and I located the proper tape and bandages.

And more snow! And timed perfectly so it's not bad when going to work but when coming home! Again. This is the third storm this year like this. Last time I took out a bus stop sign. I getting really tired of this and scared. I wasn't scared before I had done it so many times. And had everything go wrong. Now that I've done it so many times I'm more scared than when I had only done it rarely. Breaking point.
Gunwallace at 4:04PM, March 4, 2015
(offline)
*rant* The online media is often a garbage dump of pointless top ten lists and racy, click-bait headlines, but nothing is more pathetic that the steady stream of articles discussing what might happen in the next season of Game of Thrones. The preditions they make about upcoming storylines would just be the usual pointless media guessing game of unknown things to come (see sports ‘news’ for examples) but in this case there are actual books that exist that people can read that tell you almost exactly what is coming up. But no, in the true onlne journalist tradition these brave reporters scorn the books, and make their predicitons in complete dark, with lots of warnings to potential commentators that they must not discuss the books in the comments below or be banned. It encapsulates modern media in a nutshell … the actual answer exists, and can be easily read, but instead willful ignorance leads to so much more in terms of articles, and click-bait headlines, and advertising revenue–and anyone with the actual answer is silenced and banned. *rant*
HippieVan at 4:30PM, March 4, 2015
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
Anyone else recently in love? I think we're far enough from Valentine's to be able to talk about this without any of the mandatory exaggerated emotional expressions of faux feelings and forced friendliness concerning the fresh feelings of smitten sharers of that something special called love. I still think love is just the result of brain chemistry gone horribly wrong, but I guess that does not mean that it is unimportant.

Do cats count? My newest cat is such a big furry goofball, I can't stop snuggling him.

(Congrats, btw!)
Ironscarf at 2:04PM, March 5, 2015
(offline)
Gunwallace wrote:
*rant* anyone with the actual answer is silenced and banned. *rant*

Ain't that the truth - somebody ban this man! They did it to Jesus, they did it to Martin Luther King, they even did it to Skullbie. When will we ever learn?

Let my add my congratulation to Kroatz on his succesful chemical imbalance. This year me and Mrs Scarf will have enjoyed 30 years of dodgy brain chemistry and how quickly that went by. If it wasn't for her I'd be a miserable, pathetic wastrel, instead of the jovial, pathetic wastrel you know. I'd probably post a lot more comics too.
bravo1102 at 2:49PM, March 5, 2015
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:

Let my add my congratulation to Kroatz on his succesful chemical imbalance. This year me and Mrs Scarf will have enjoyed 30 years of dodgy brain chemistry and how quickly that went by. If it wasn't for her I'd be a miserable, pathetic wastrel, instead of the jovial, pathetic wastrel you know. I'd probably post a lot more comics too.
Me too. Congrats. To both Kroatz on discovering what makes humans come alive and to Ironscarf for proving it works for decades.
But think of it this way maybe not being in love is the imbalance. So you;re unbalanced all the time and only when in love are you balanced. Maybe that's one reason why this imbalance of “dodgy brain chemistry” can last for 20 -30- 75 years! When something seemingly doesn't make “sense” as it is turn it on its head and then it might be reasonable. What you think is normal may not be the optimum. The optimum is somehting else to achieve something you're unaware of. So far.

Maybe all our emotions evolved to ensure the survival of offspring. Those loving long term relationships have got to last because humans take so damn long to mature. If that brain chemistry didn't happen you might end up with a bunch of single moms and a bunch of predatory males fighting it out for food. That'd kill the species really fast. Bad enough it often ends up with one really strong male with loads of mates and other poor suckers with one or none.
Gunwallace at 4:19PM, March 5, 2015
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
This year me and Mrs Scarf will have enjoyed 30 years of dodgy brain chemistry.
I can ony claim half that number this year, but then my brain was altered a bit late in life.
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:14PM, March 7, 2015
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
She's very pretty, amazingly smart, unendingly interesting, and I would just like to share that little bit of happiness with all of you.

Dank je wel, Kroatz. Mijn vriendje is geweldig. Hij schaakt. Hij tekent strips. Hij leest heel veel boeken. Zijn Amerikaans heeft een charmant Nederlands accent. Ik hou van hem.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Lonnehart at 7:55PM, March 8, 2015
(online)
The Five Nights at Freddy's game series is something I find amazing. The gameplay itself isn't something revolutinary, but the story…

So many people seem to be entrenched in it. They're making theories about the events in the game and the character within. Like who they think the “purple man” is. The only thing we know is that the guy murdered several children and…

Better not give too much away.

Hopefully I can pick up the third game for my Android tablet so I can try to piece the story together myself.
Ozoneocean at 10:13AM, March 9, 2015
(online)
The weather is so hot here. Hot and sweaty. UGH!!!
I'm going great with my drwing stuff now though. It's slow, but my skills are tight. I just wish I had more time to spare for it. Fuck I LOVE drawing!!!!!!!!
Genejoke at 10:16AM, March 9, 2015
(online)
I agree with Ginwallace about the discussion rant, also the star wars possible plot discussion thing has gotten annoying now. I'm not sure I want to see it any more.
Lonnehart at 1:48AM, March 10, 2015
(online)
Been playing quite a bit of Galaxy on Fire: Alliances lately. Finally, a “realtime” strategy MMO on my Android. Action is pretty casual, but it's there. You do get three planets that are safe from attack, but any others outside this private system can be wiped out if you don't defend them adequately.

Still working on my drawing when I can. Problem is… I fall asleep every time I try. Or even when I'm doing something I find interesting (like playing games… I'll drop to sleep without knowing it which makes it hard for me to play too long). Maybe a massive dose of coffee will help? :(
HippieVan at 3:49PM, March 11, 2015
(online)
I feel really dumb, but I can't figure out how to colour this rocket ship with limited colours…the main body of it is metal, while the cone at the top is glass. I keep trying to put the highlights and shadows in different places but nothing quite seems to work. And should the top reflect the sky? That's probably more realistic, but I'm not sure how to make that work.

Lonnehart at 6:10PM, March 11, 2015
(online)
Maybe starting from the base of the cone you can use a very fine line to show that it's made of glass (hence see thru). Just break up the line a bit and maybe put hints of an outline of a chair. That's what I'd do anyway.

Watched the trailer for the third Five Nights at Freddy's game and… that animatronic you see twitching in the video?

That's the murderer of the five children… dying… because the suit locked around his body, crushing it and splitting his skull in two… That's right. The trailer is featuring the moment very moment that guy died.

So that single animatronic that actually kills you in the third game? He's an animatronic zombie haunted by the soul of the serial child killer(as it's decades AFTER he died in that suit)…

I guess the spoiler tags are disabled?
last edited on March 11, 2015 6:48PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon