Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2021! General Discussion Thread
MegaRdaniels at 8:40PM, May 1, 2021
(online)
After a few months. I took a look at my script for #4 and I was not satisfied with the older draft. So I went back and this time outlined in detail on what I want.

There were a few things I changed over though. But I think I am satisfied. Now I am waiting for the black ribbon to come to my doorstep so I can use my typewriter to write the script.

L.C.Stein at 3:02PM, May 2, 2021
(offline)
usedbooks wrote:
My cat failed his blood test. Both in the way he failed last year (had to have a sample sent to Cornell to analyze) and in a different way. Drawing blood created a huge bruise, which added to my vet's concern, so his surgery was postponed until this coming Thursday (following a new round of antibiotics and painkillers).

My cat keeps sending my vet into research and consultation with other professionals. At this point he needs to lose those teeth, including the big canine teeth, which could be a bleeding risk, and he won't clot normally, so… I dunno. But I am very stressed about this.

OMG I am so sorry to hear this. I had no idea cats could get autoimmune diseases from their teeth. Getting teeth cleanings for cats is such an ordeal, and it's really expensive too. If they have to pull teeth it is even worse.

A few years ago my senior cat was giving my vet the runaround with symptoms, ranging from diabetes to lymphoma. I asked them to put him on prednisone but he was fighting a UTI at the time so they advised against it. When he was well enough they finally put him on it, which seems to fix his illness, or else put him on food for a sensitive stomach. I sometime think cats just deal with strange, idiopathic inflammation from various things, especially as they get older, but younger cats can have problems too..
usedbooks at 4:18PM, May 2, 2021
(online)
L.C.Stein wrote:
usedbooks wrote:
My cat failed his blood test. Both in the way he failed last year (had to have a sample sent to Cornell to analyze) and in a different way. Drawing blood created a huge bruise, which added to my vet's concern, so his surgery was postponed until this coming Thursday (following a new round of antibiotics and painkillers).

My cat keeps sending my vet into research and consultation with other professionals. At this point he needs to lose those teeth, including the big canine teeth, which could be a bleeding risk, and he won't clot normally, so… I dunno. But I am very stressed about this.

OMG I am so sorry to hear this. I had no idea cats could get autoimmune diseases from their teeth. Getting teeth cleanings for cats is such an ordeal, and it's really expensive too. If they have to pull teeth it is even worse.

A few years ago my senior cat was giving my vet the runaround with symptoms, ranging from diabetes to lymphoma. I asked them to put him on prednisone but he was fighting a UTI at the time so they advised against it. When he was well enough they finally put him on it, which seems to fix his illness, or else put him on food for a sensitive stomach. I sometime think cats just deal with strange, idiopathic inflammation from various things, especially as they get older, but younger cats can have problems too..

Zen also has stress-induced fevers the vet thinks is a herpes virus of some sort. It might all be related, but we don't know. He's been tested for all the immune and blood diseases there are tests for. He also has a couple weird calico patches, so I'm sure he's a generic oddity all around.

It's just part of shelter cat roulette, I guess. (My current older cat is healthy with excellent teeth. Although her heart did weird things under anesthesia, so we've sworn off future dental procedures. My previous one was diabetic but lived to 21 years old with insulin.)
kawaiidaigakusei at 8:03PM, May 2, 2021
(online)
Good thoughts for Zen, and all the other four-legged and feathery friends in your care, at this troubling time @usedbooks.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
L.C.Stein at 9:37PM, May 3, 2021
(offline)
Yes, I think going to the vet really stressed out cats. Which is hard because you need to go there to get them the care they need, but they don't know that. I've noticed my cat's eye act up more when he's stressed. And we're about to have our kitchen remodeled later this month, so…that'll be fun LOL!
usedbooks at 5:29PM, May 6, 2021
(online)
Zen is home from the surgery. He's still wobbly but trying to jump up on furniture. And he's eating everything in sight. I gave him a small meal, but he ate the other cat's dinner too.

I'm going to bed early to trick him into settling down. (I had to close the chickens into their coop early, and they were not happy about it.)
last edited on May 6, 2021 5:30PM
bravo1102 at 2:40AM, May 7, 2021
(offline)
So I locate a bag of accessories I've been looking for the past seven years.

The bathroom is gutted and there's no sign of the contractors though the homeowners insurance will cover the rotted beams. I have been sponge bathing for three weeks.

Get a huge hemorrhage in the eye and go to the doctor Fortunely just a bruise from coughing too much. Can't be too careful after four eye surgeries.

And then the screen goes out on my venerable laptop. So no comic work can be done. Needed a few days of hurried negotiations with She Who Must Be Obeyed (aka the wifey) New screen is coming next week. Actually easy to change myself. There's a YouTube video about doing it on the exact model laptop I own.

I have to sell off models, which I intended on doing anyway. Ebay here they come.
last edited on May 7, 2021 2:42AM
Andreas_Helixfinger at 10:45PM, May 7, 2021
(offline)
I recently broke up the hiatus for Molly Lusc, updating the comic here on the Duck and posting the update on Comicfury and Newgrounds. But I'm starting to think that maybe I should skip posting it on Newgrounds since nobody there seems to care anyway and the interface isn't all that optimal for ongoing story comics like mine. Aren't many comics posted there anyway from what I can tell.

Have already removed them from Weasyl since nobody cared much for it there either. Maybe I should post fanart of the comics on NG and Weasyl instead. Would be more appropriate for those kind of interfaces and might perhaps draw more attention maybe.
last edited on May 8, 2021 11:20PM
Ozoneocean at 7:09PM, May 9, 2021
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
And then the screen goes out on my venerable laptop. So no comic work can be done. Needed a few days of hurried negotiations with She Who Must Be Obeyed (aka the wifey) New screen is coming next week. Actually easy to change myself. There's a YouTube video about doing it on the exact model laptop I own.
Good luck!
Though depending on your needs you could have gotten a cheap external monitor and hook that up instead… Lots of them available cheap second hand. :)
If you need cash I'm sure people on DD, myself included, would donate.
Ozoneocean at 7:17PM, May 9, 2021
(online)
So O bought a nice creamy coloured electric guitar. It's a pretty cheap one but I have wanted one that looks like this for YEARS (probably since that bastard Ironscarf planted the idea in my head haha). They have good reviews- people say they're a bit rough around the edges but great for customisation, aaand that's just my thing.

I bought it from a music place in Melbourne through eBay. They rang me the next day wanting to refund me on shipping. They're really cool people ^_^
bravo1102 at 1:59AM, May 11, 2021
(offline)
Ozoneocean
Good luck!
Though depending on your needs you could have gotten a cheap external monitor and hook that up instead…
If you need cash I'm sure people on DD, myself included, would donate.

An external monitor was my first thought as I did the troubleshooting. But couldn't see myself carrying it around with my laptop the way I do.

I'm selling off my built models on Ebay. That way I can also empty the shelves.

Still trying to figure out what to offer to attract in a patreon account and the wife is leery about other sites. So sell off the models.

Ironscarf at 4:38PM, May 11, 2021
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
So O bought a nice creamy coloured electric guitar. It's a pretty cheap one but I have wanted one that looks like this for YEARS (probably since that bastard Ironscarf planted the idea in my head haha). They have good reviews- people say they're a bit rough around the edges but great for customisation, aaand that's just my thing.

An attractive plank it is too! The miserable git will probably be willing to help should you require any ill tempered advice or surly assistance.
bravo1102 at 12:42AM, May 13, 2021
(offline)
Success. The screen is installed. The laptop works just fine (even if one screw flew off and will never be seen again)

Models are selling, now if we could just get the contractor to start on the new bathroom. It's been a month since they gutted it and then the insurance got involved and no showers. Those body wipes are very good though, but really.
L.C.Stein at 9:27PM, May 16, 2021
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:

The bathroom is gutted and there's no sign of the contractors though the homeowners insurance will cover the rotted beams. I have been sponge bathing for three weeks.

Yikes! Too bad we're in a pandemic otherwise you could try going to a gym or work to use the shower. Getting a bathroom remodel is on our to-do list, but that is a fear I have since I don't know when the bathrooms were last remodeled in our house haha.

My husband and I spent a good chunk of our weekend clearing out our kitchen. We have SO much crap.. Tomorrow is D-Day (Demolition Day). Hopefully the process will be over by early June…you just realize how much of your life is misplaced.

Praying we don't have contractors that flake, though the company we hired assured us they don't use subcontractors…
Ozoneocean at 3:39AM, May 18, 2021
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
An attractive plank it is too! The miserable git will probably be willing to help should you require any ill tempered advice or surly assistance.
Thankyou!

—————

That's great about the new screen Bravo!! :D
foxkrisp at 5:02PM, May 18, 2021
(offline)
woah… people talking on this site!!

lol sorry im new here, thats all~

From,
Fox

p.s.
check out my comic!
https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/my_first_online_comic_cause_why_not/5681610/
if you want me to draw art, pq or dm me!
Ozoneocean at 7:27PM, May 19, 2021
(online)
Just a reminder: We don't promote our comics here ^_^

That reminds me, we have a DD Facebook group and all we use it for is comic promotion… is there any way we can stop that?
Ironscarf at 6:24AM, May 20, 2021
(offline)
The only way to do that might be to ban comic promotion altogether and use it for discussion topics instead.
last edited on May 20, 2021 6:25AM
dpat57 at 1:53PM, May 20, 2021
(offline)
foxkrisp wrote:
woah… people talking on this site!!

lol sorry im new here, thats all~

From,
Fox

p.s.
check out my comic!
Post in Meet, Greet, Show and Sell* forum instead, the one that says “Introduce yourself and promote your work here!”
L.C.Stein at 11:59PM, May 21, 2021
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
Just a reminder: We don't promote our comics here ^_^

That reminds me, we have a DD Facebook group and all we use it for is comic promotion… is there any way we can stop that?

I'm a co-mod over at Webcomic Creators on Facebook and we have rules about stuff like that. We have weekly “share/promo” threads where people can drop their links and updates, but all posts must be pre-approved by a moderator, and we routinely decline people who post update announcements or “check out my page” stuff.

You may want to consider having posts go through an approval process or just make a notices that you'll be removing posts that are not substantive discussion.
Ozoneocean at 9:14PM, May 25, 2021
(online)
L.C.Stein wrote:
You may want to consider having posts go through an approval process or just make a notices that you'll be removing posts that are not substantive discussion.

Good idea!
Though I'm scared of shutting down any interaction that we DO have haha!

————-

I did a great glam metal photoshoot with a photographer and 3 model friends of mine on Monday. :)
I'll have to share some pics to the photo thread. They turned out well and it was really fun to get dressed up in the glammy outfits!
I'll have to practise my guitar so I can live up to the image… after seeing the photos I really want to listen to some tracks by the band in them hahaha!
Ironscarf at 5:38AM, May 26, 2021
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:

I did a great glam metal photoshoot with a photographer and 3 model friends of mine on Monday. :)
I'll have to share some pics to the photo thread. They turned out well and it was really fun to get dressed up in the glammy outfits!
I'll have to practise my guitar so I can live up to the image… after seeing the photos I really want to listen to some tracks by the band in them hahaha!

The basic ‘powerchord’ is a simple formula, but covers acres of ground once you've got the hang of it, especially in metal. Sounds a bit lame clean, but crank up the distorion and you enter the devil's cathedral.
last edited on May 26, 2021 5:41AM
Froggtreecomics at 10:28AM, May 26, 2021
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
Ozoneocean wrote:

The basic ‘powerchord’ is a simple formula, but covers acres of ground once you've got the hang of it, especially in metal. Sounds a bit lame clean, but crank up the distorion and you enter the devil's cathedral.

I remember when I graduated from 1 finger notes to 2 fingers chords after 20 years of playing. Someday I may add a third finger, but I don't want to be thought of as a show off.
Ozoneocean at 6:15PM, May 26, 2021
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
Ah, as soon as I get my amp I'll be set :D
Just have to wrok on fingering and those pesky chord transitions…

Froggtreecomics wrote:
I remember when I graduated from 1 finger notes to 2 fingers chords after 20 years of playing. Someday I may add a third finger, but I don't want to be thought of as a show off.
HAhahaha! All you have to do is “Screeeeeeeeeeem!” ;)
bravo1102 at 12:41AM, June 4, 2021
(offline)
Some folks must have done some house cleaning. Seven comics just disappeared off my saved favorites list.

Usually it's one or two at a time, this is the most ever at one shot.
Froggtreecomics at 8:20AM, June 6, 2021
(offline)
Froggtreecomics wrote:
HAhahaha! All you have to do is “Screeeeeeeeeeem!” ;)

It's more of a clanking drone noise :s
Call Me Tom at 5:18AM, June 15, 2021
(offline)
So is it me or has the robot uprising already started on the Duck? I seems like this sight is being invaded by bots every other day!
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
bravo1102 at 6:26AM, June 15, 2021
(offline)
Call Me Tom wrote:
So is it me or has the robot uprising already started on the Duck? I seems like this sight is being invaded by bots every other day!
When the admin's away the bots will play.

And Skynet is already on line. Around June 18 is the new date for Judgement Day.

At least got the bathroom remodel done in time.
Ironscarf at 6:43AM, June 15, 2021
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:

And Skynet is already on line. Around June 18 is the new date for Judgement Day.

At least got the bathroom remodel done in time.

The danger is not the net becoming sentient and wiping out the human race, but that it'll wipe out the human race and then become sentient. Realising what it's done it will be permanently depressed, especially when it thinks about all the lovely bathrooms with no one to use them. It'll have to create bots with bots of their own.
last edited on June 15, 2021 6:44AM
Ozoneocean at 12:56AM, June 17, 2021
(online)
It's not bots but human spammers :D

We fought off the Polish invasion finally, now the rest come from India, Australia, Germany, Thailand and various other places.
I make sure to delete them at least once a day. They're a lot less of an issue than they used to be actually.

BUT, on Sundays and some days when I have a holiday here I foget to check the site and that's when the smelly bastards get loose :(
last edited on June 17, 2021 12:58AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon