Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What are you watching right now?
moizmad at 12:44PM, May 16, 2021
(online)
posts: 297
joined: 8-28-2010
THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW - Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, Gary Oldman, Fred Hechinger to name a few. Amy is a recluse head-shrinker, spends her time drinking wine and watching neighbours across the street, one of which may be a murderer. No make-up for Amy? yikes, she looked horrible. A just under 2 on the Moizmeter.

SELF/Less - Ryan Reynolds in a screwball drama about new bodies and identites??? Couldn't keep track of who or what is who or what. A 1 and a half on the Moizmeter.




















L.C.Stein at 9:31PM, May 16, 2021
(offline)
posts: 95
joined: 10-2-2020
moizmad wrote:
THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW - Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, Gary Oldman, Fred Hechinger to name a few. Amy is a recluse head-shrinker, spends her time drinking wine and watching neighbours across the street, one of which may be a murderer. No make-up for Amy? yikes, she looked horrible. A just under 2 on the Moizmeter.


I was considering watching that one, and I spent half the preview wondering if that was Amy Adams or not LOL. She sure has carved out a niche playing women with loose grips on reality LOL
Ozoneocean at 3:40AM, May 18, 2021
(online)
posts: 27,730
joined: 1-2-2004
moizmad wrote:
SELF/Less - Ryan Reynolds in a screwball drama about new bodies and identites??? Couldn't keep track of who or what is who or what. A 1 and a half on the Moizmeter.
I found that awful and had to quit after half an hour.





















 
moizmad at 12:43PM, May 28, 2021
(online)
posts: 297
joined: 8-28-2010
PREDESTINATION - Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook, Noah Taylor…turns out everyone's the same person??? I got completely lost and only Sarah kept me onbored. A 1 on the Moizmeter.
fallopiancrusader at 6:57PM, June 8, 2021
(offline)
posts: 302
joined: 12-27-2013
“Love, Death, and Robots” season 2. The only mistake the producers made with this show was to market it it as a group of edgy, daring, innovative science-fiction short stories. Now, if they had marketed it as a group of tired, hackneyed science-fiction cliches that have been done to death a million times over the past forty years, I would have at least given them credit for honesty.

The first episode in this collection is cute and funny. The last episode actually starts to scratch at the surface of thought-provoking originality. The rest are dreck.

It was a classic example of the old Hollywood technique of trying to save a garbage screenplay by throwing a heap of cutting-edge special effects at it and hoping that all the technical bling will distract the viewer from the product's essential emptiness.
last edited on June 8, 2021 7:06PM
fallopiancrusader at 6:52AM, June 9, 2021
(offline)
posts: 302
joined: 12-27-2013
@Jamesonmount:

I think you might have put two quotes together by accident. The last part of my comment, which you quoted above,

“I also really liked the old Pablo Escobar series “Narcos”. Where he did whatever he wanted, ate lobsters, killed people, played aussie online casino, it was great. I am very sorry that the second season is over.”

Was not written by me.
moizmad at 12:10PM, June 9, 2021
(online)
posts: 297
joined: 8-28-2010
OCULUS - from 2013? No name cast, maybe the worst movie I've toughed out for some time, I should get Oscar for lasting all the way. A goose-egg on the Moizmeter.
Banes at 6:16PM, June 9, 2021
(offline)
posts: 579
joined: 8-13-2008
Fallopiancrusader- that is a hilarious review of love, death and robots. I’m still watching bits of the first season and there’s some good stuff there! The preview for the second season looks exactly how Jamesonmount describes it - all looks exactly the same. Sad to hear it went downhill so badly. The season 2 promos suggested it had.


Not watching much lately, but began the bbc cop drama Line of Duty. A couple episodes in and it’s spectacular. I can’t believe how much has happened in just a couple episodes. The plot is thrilling, and it must be researched VERY deeply. There are nuances to the way the police operate that are fascinating, seem very true to life, and that I’ve never seen explored on other cop shows.



Genejoke at 1:02PM, June 10, 2021
(online)
posts: 3,939
joined: 4-9-2010
fallopiancrusader wrote:
“Love, Death, and Robots” season 2. The only mistake the producers made with this show was to market it it as a group of edgy, daring, innovative science-fiction short stories. Now, if they had marketed it as a group of tired, hackneyed science-fiction cliches that have been done to death a million times over the past forty years, I would have at least given them credit for honesty.

The first episode in this collection is cute and funny. The last episode actually starts to scratch at the surface of thought-provoking originality. The rest are dreck.

It was a classic example of the old Hollywood technique of trying to save a garbage screenplay by throwing a heap of cutting-edge special effects at it and hoping that all the technical bling will distract the viewer from the product's essential emptiness.

I loved the first season, the second was generally uninspired. Still I'll see what the 3rd season brings to the table.
usedbooks at 5:34PM, June 10, 2021
(online)
posts: 3,307
joined: 2-24-2007
Genejoke wrote:
fallopiancrusader wrote:
“Love, Death, and Robots” season 2. The only mistake the producers made with this show was to market it it as a group of edgy, daring, innovative science-fiction short stories. Now, if they had marketed it as a group of tired, hackneyed science-fiction cliches that have been done to death a million times over the past forty years, I would have at least given them credit for honesty.

The first episode in this collection is cute and funny. The last episode actually starts to scratch at the surface of thought-provoking originality. The rest are dreck.

It was a classic example of the old Hollywood technique of trying to save a garbage screenplay by throwing a heap of cutting-edge special effects at it and hoping that all the technical bling will distract the viewer from the product's essential emptiness.

I loved the first season, the second was generally uninspired. Still I'll see what the 3rd season brings to the table.

For me, the first season seemed to take more risks and was more imaginative both in the stories and styles. It resulted in some excellent pieces and some that were just awful but at least they were uniquely awful. The second season fell into the mediocre, not daring to take risks.
Ozoneocean at 7:59PM, June 10, 2021
(online)
posts: 27,730
joined: 1-2-2004
I'm watching old episodes of Futurama and American Dad on Disney +
They're both good stuff. :)

I've also started watching White Collar.
It was always advertised after the old episodes of Miami Vice I was going through a while ago, so now that it was easily available to me I thought I'd check it out.

It's actually really bland. It stars a pretty male actor, there are a lot of shots of men in suits, there are under and over plots about the loves of the main male characters… these and other factors make me realise that show is aimed at over 30s women. In this world New York is a stylish place with great views, artist lofts, nice restaurants, parties on top of buildings with beautiful gardens and models and yet we mainly only see the handsome men in suits there XD

The story is about a handsome master forger who escapes jail just before his release date to go after his GF who has to leave him. The FBI capture him and he helps them with a case. Because he's such a MASTERFUL criminal and super intelligent fellow they hire him on to help them with other crimes and look handsome in his suit while in the office…

The stakes are pretty low and the characters are bland, unrealistic cutouts. Plus the FBI guy has a terrible haircut. I'm not enjoying it much so far.
I suppose they thought it paired well with Miami Vice because of the handsome protagonist/sophisticated city/fashion thing, but the plots and characters don't match up to that level. This is more like as if Miami Vice had been written by the Hallmark people.
 
Ironscarf at 4:23PM, June 13, 2021
(offline)
posts: 1,641
joined: 9-9-2008
I'm watching Fargo season 4 and enjoying it thoroughly. The show is packed with great performances but I can't take my eyes off Salvatore Esposito in any scene he inhabits. He plays Gaetano, the brother sent over from Italy to help sort out a few problems, but he might has well have been sent straight from the set of a silent movie, or a spaghetti western. His deliberately over the top characterisation is both cartoonish and menacing, quite something to behold.



Top quote:
“In the land of taking and killing, Gaetano is king.”
 
last edited on June 13, 2021 4:30PM
moizmad at 12:47PM, June 14, 2021
(online)
posts: 297
joined: 8-28-2010
AWAKE - Gina Rodriguez, Ariana Greenblatt, Frances Fisher, Barry Pepper, Jennifer Jason Leigh and a cast of sleepers. Movie's title should be changed to ASLEEP, as I had all I could do to stay awake trying to make sense of this hogwash, but I did and it gets a 1 on the Moizmeter.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Google+