Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2017 Rant/Share/General Discussion Thread
HippieVan at 3:43PM, April 28, 2017
(online)
Things have been super crazy for me lately. April is essays and exams time, which means all of a sudden TONS of work for me. The annoying part is that because of weird admin stuff, I get paid in March for April hours. Less incentive to get things done when I've already been paid for it, haha.

I've decided to go to the University of Toronto for my MA! I won a pretty prestigious (and big!) scholarship to go study there, and my supervisor seems awesome - he's already offered to fund some research travel for me.

Also exciting - just this week I've started dating the guy who I've been vaguely in love with for like 4+ years. It's been a super gradual thing over the last few months, spending more time together and getting more flirty and affectionate until things finally happened. ^_^
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Genejoke at 1:31AM, April 29, 2017
(online)
Good news on both fronts then Hippievan. Hope both go well for you.

I've started comicking again, currently replacing the pages of Blood and water having added a filter to the artwork and I've nearly finished a new page which I will post Monday.

Love life aside everything else is going the right direction for me at the moment so fingers crossed that keeps up.
Ironscarf at 7:31AM, April 29, 2017
(offline)
Double great news Hippie and double also great news Genejoke!

Reading those has lifted my mood considerably. I've lost all interest in posting about the mildly irritating thing I came here to post about.

:)
Ozoneocean at 1:02AM, May 1, 2017
(online)
Congrats Hippie and Genejoke, that all sounds really cool!
Hippie's in lurv! And Genejoke too! Just not with each other XD

———–

Man I had a rough day today! UGH!!!!!
This damn client… and the damn job I did for him…
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:26AM, May 7, 2017
(online)
Where to begin, where to begin?

First off, hello Drunk Duck world! I have been here, but not exactly posting on here, so I feel there needs to be an update.

When we left off, I was required to drive one of those unmarked white vans for my job, which left me in a constant state of anxiety and turmoil mixed with dread of the huge amount of responsibility that was handed over to me when I first took on the General Manager assistant position. I asked you all for guidance and several of you reassured me to keep doing the daily task until it became rote or routine, and that was what I did. I kept driving the white van until I tamed it and it tamed me, the scary beast of a vehicle got me through some of the most heavy down pour rains that I actually felt more comfortable in it than my own car. Ten months down the line, my boss told me I no longer had to drive the white van and surprised me with keys for a new, smaller company car to drive while I am at work. It is a Mazda 5 mini van and has far less blind spots and greater steering control than the white van. My nervousness concerning the sensitive information like door lock combinations and safe codes has also dwindled since I have most of them memorized by heart and I make sure to double check door handles.

I woke up yesterday morning, got dressed and went to work and I felt very free of any feelings of negativity or depression. In fact, I am in a very good place in my life and I am content with the way things are going. I have been balancing five jobs and working seven days a week ever since January 2016, I did the math and I work roughly 65-70 paid hours each week. All the jobs keep me pretty busy without much time to think about anything besides sleeping and eating, but I enjoy what I do and the people I get to interact with, so it is more fun than anything else.

I have been smiling a lot more whenever I go out lately. Recently, I upgraded my wardrobe to Ann Taylor brand clothing to dress more professionally like a teacher, and people have been very receptive to the changes. I receive better customer service by bank tellers, students treat me with more respect in the classroom, and random strangers start up conversations with me in passing. During the last couple of months, this really nice barista that works at a coffee shop near my weekend workplace has been giving me free upgrades on my drink and food orders and charges me less than he is supposed to, sometimes I notice he added a couple of freebies in my order. It is what it is, but I live in a small city where people are pretty friendly.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 2:18AM, May 8, 2017
(offline)
Wonderful how great things are going for you Kawaii and you too Hippie!

Ann Taylor is a great line and my wife likes it as does my sister, mother and sister-in-law.

I am at last back to work and the idiots are still on parade. I missed almost two months of work and nothing has changed. At least I won't be stuck at home anymore and getting involved with Facebook on an hourly basis. I'll go back to twice a week if that.
Ozoneocean at 9:40AM, May 8, 2017
(online)
Wow Kawaii, I knew you worked a lot but not THAT much o_O
If you'd like we could pass your DD duties on to someone else for a while to give you some respite…
Only if you want though, ‘cos I know how much you’re dedicated to DD and you do a great job! :D
lba at 5:19PM, May 10, 2017
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
During the last couple of months, this really nice barista that works at a coffee shop near my weekend workplace has been giving me free upgrades on my drink and food orders and charges me less than he is supposed to, sometimes I notice he added a couple of freebies in my order. It is what it is, but I live in a small city where people are pretty friendly.

That's flirting. Unless there's something you arent telling there ain't no two ways ‘bout it. If it’s not flirting, then you live in the most clueless and friendly city on earth.
last edited on May 10, 2017 5:20PM
kawaiidaigakusei at 1:56AM, May 11, 2017
(online)
Two weeks ago, I ordered an iced coffee, he grabbed the large cup and rang me up for a small and then after I had paid and my order was settled, he said a little less obviously, “So do you want any sandwiches?” I laughed a bit and responded with a smile, “It is okay, I'll be good.”

I had to ask a few friends what it could mean, a free sandwich is an upgrade from the typical free pastry, right? Well, a friend told me, “Everyone loves free food. People go to bars and buy drinks, you do not go to bars OR drink, so take the sandwich!”

Last week, we chatted for a bit on Saturday, I noticed he added extra food to my bag after I returned to the office, so the next day I go back. He handed me my hot chocolate and says very quietly, “Do you want any wraps?” I was going to say something until suddenly, a Marine, who is also a regular at my shop steps inbetween us and says, “Is this man Harrassing you, Ma'am?” And I look bewildered and say, “How do you two know each other?!?!?” The Marine says, “He lives next to me, he is my neighbor!”

So The barista asks me, “So what would you like?”
“What can I get?”
“Whatever you want, I can make it for you.”
“Well then, Surprise Me!”

I wait around for a bit until it felt a bit awkward standing there, so I said, “Ok, I am going to head back.” The marine asks, “Wait, aren't you still waiting for something? You know what? I will take it there for you.” So I go back to the break room at my workplace. While I am sitting back there, the assistant manager walks in holding a paper bag and says, “Umm, did you forget something that you ordered?” And she hands me the bag.

I unwrapped it and it turned out to be the sandwich made with an everything bagel that has been my usual order over the last year.

Yup, people are definitely friendly in my city. They are also slick, extremely slick.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on May 11, 2017 5:26AM
usedbooks at 10:05AM, May 14, 2017
(online)
Moving is getting real now. I arranged to have my RV transported this Saturday. Moving to a mobile home park in Newport News, VA. I visited a couple days ago to scout the area and felt a bit intimidated by the traffic. WAY different from the 25 mph tourist island I lived on last summer. I like urban areas, but they scare me too. I have a thousand different feelings about this situation.

Whatever happens now happens. The die is cast, and I'm moving and starting a new job. Have to learn how to balance my life/time/finances all over again (with a dog added to the mix).
Ozoneocean at 4:19AM, May 16, 2017
(online)
Doing the featured comic today killed me… One of those days where the first two comics you read through just aren't suitable and you waste your time reading through them and setting them up. But the 3rd one was GOOD. I'm really happy with tomorrow's feature, it's just the sort of comic I like to promote:
A labour of love where the creator tries their very best on the art and is continually trying to better themselves; very individual style; regular updates; and a really entertaining story that hangs together. Helps that it made me laugh too XD
KimLuster at 8:25AM, May 16, 2017
(online)
Well… certainly looking forward to that feature! ;)
bravo1102 at 12:48AM, May 17, 2017
(offline)
I was expecting something good, but that wasn't it. Same shit, different day.

After my recovery and with all the rain my lawn was a jungle. I finally had a chance to mow it. Of course the mower wouldn't start. Wrenched my shoulder working that out.

Got it done but all the out door power cords were messed up. So I had to use broom and shovel rather than leaf blower. That screwed up my hand. It's all swollen but should be fine if I keep up with the ibuprofen and ice packs.

And I ditched the beard because it's spring. First person to notice said I looked ten years younger. I looked positively ancient with it. Now I am back to “distinguished ” Just a euphemism for an old guy.
Ozoneocean at 5:59AM, May 17, 2017
(online)
KimLuster wrote:
Well… certainly looking forward to that feature! ;)
I hope I didn't oversell it. I loved reading it, quite a lot more than more professionally done pieces.
The story has a lot of heart and humour.
Amelius at 2:06PM, May 19, 2017
(offline)
I don't think you oversold it Oz, I think that comic's a delight! :D

In other news, did anyone here catch wind of the Tapas kerfuffle? They added something to their TOS– and promptly removed it when people panicked– a “Right of First Refusal” clause. People are leaving in DROVES. Drunk Duck, over here in the shade, sipping his beer and looking on… oh what drama!
Too bad it's a little quiet over here to appeal to webcomics looking for a new host after deleting theirs from tapastic, they seem to be just jumping over to Webtoon. It feels like this place is hardly a blip on the radar anymore :C
Ozoneocean at 11:23AM, May 20, 2017
(online)
Amelius wrote:

In other news, did anyone here catch wind of the Tapas kerfuffle? They added something to their TOS– and promptly removed it when people panicked– a “Right of First Refusal” clause. People are leaving in DROVES. Drunk Duck, over here in the shade, sipping his beer and looking on… oh what drama!
Too bad it's a little quiet over here to appeal to webcomics looking for a new host after deleting theirs from tapastic, they seem to be just jumping over to Webtoon. It feels like this place is hardly a blip on the radar anymore :C

Really?

Wow.We really need more promotion and a radical redesign, DD looks and operates pretty datedly…
Just need the cash for a fully update of our look- while not changing the functionality too much.
(improving and adding to it, but not changing how basic stuff is actually done- saves a lot of money)
bravo1102 at 10:59PM, May 20, 2017
(offline)
You know Webtoon is based in South Korea. What happens if Kim Jong Un calls the bluff? It's also the home of the only known Robofemoids fan page.

Don't kill my one and only fan!

And the home of my favorite model company Academy! Noooooo!!!!!
stinger9 at 12:37AM, May 21, 2017
(offline)
Eh I'd say even in it's current state, the site still operates better than a lot of the popular ones. Never understood the appeal of some of them, it always felt like they were putting flashiness over usability.
You never know though, all this might still attract some people over, there's got to be some who'd rather look at a relatively smaller site to join. Not to mention DD still appeals to certain audiences in a better way than others do. With any luck there'll be at least some people who end up googling for hosts, or even just former users who feel like giving things another chance.
I dunno though, guess I'm just feeling optimistic today!
Ironscarf at 4:42AM, May 21, 2017
(offline)
Amelius wrote:

In other news, did anyone here catch wind of the Tapas kerfuffle?

Yes this is hilarious! I just started putting my comic up there because I wanted to experiment with the vertical layout, only to find everyone is running like hell in the opposite direction! Looks like they scored a massive own goal.

There are definitely things they do right though. I only just realised there's a share option here and looking into it, I can't see any sign of an Instagram button. No Instagram? It's like we're trying to be ironic or something!

The main social media buttons should be clearly displayed next to a comic page, not hidden behind a menu. And how I ask you, is Kylie Jenner going to share my comic if there's no Instagram button?
Ozoneocean at 8:39AM, May 22, 2017
(online)
I'm going to make a thread asking for site redesigns soon.
I have FINALLY updated our copyright terms to clarify that it's only creators who own their comic rights:
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/copyright/

I wonder why I never bothered before…
Mika_yi at 7:44PM, May 28, 2017
(offline)
Amelius wrote:

I only heard about it because the greater of cosmo song said something about it. I am so out of the loop about things I didn't even know what was going on. But I think someone said it was wording and they took it off after people freaked out. But geez you know more about it then me and I am on that site. Show how much I pay attention.
Mika_yi at 7:47PM, May 28, 2017
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
I'm going to make a thread asking for site redesigns soon.
I have FINALLY updated our copyright terms to clarify that it's only creators who own their comic rights:
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/copyright/

I wonder why I never bothered before…
The ending to that! Love it. You know I think I read through the tos long time ago. But this is good and valuable information. Short and to the point.
Ozoneocean at 9:12PM, May 29, 2017
(online)
Good!
I don't know why the Wowio people never put that in there… Seems obvious, but they just never thought in terms of the people who actually use the site.

A lot of decisions were made that way I think. Even while the changes were happening it was obvious in a lot of ways- the site because anticommunity… notifications being taken off of messages was a real nail in the coffin.
Ozoneocean at 7:07AM, May 30, 2017
(online)
My phone died! I only had it less than a year and a half.
It was a great phone too in every respect- wonderfully stylish, fast, light, great looking, worked beautifully. But now it's utterly, irretrievably dead.
bravo1102 at 8:40PM, May 30, 2017
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
My phone died! I only had it less than a year and a half.
It was a great phone too in every respect- wonderfully stylish, fast, light, great looking, worked beautifully. But now it's utterly, irretrievably dead.
Planned obsolescence crept up on you. Some electronics are manufactured so they wear out in a year or two to force the consumer to buy a new one. But don't tell anyone that, they'll think you're some kind of curmudgeon luddite.
Ozoneocean at 6:33AM, May 31, 2017
(online)
In this case it's a fault rather than a plan. Apparently it's unique to phone models produced during a certain time period. The manufacturer replaces them- according to cases I've read on the net anyway…
I will see what I can do tomorrow. :/

A full page DD ad:
last edited on May 31, 2017 6:54AM
fallopiancrusader at 10:19AM, June 9, 2017
(offline)
For those people who have occasionally commented on my drawing techniques, I have put up a link to another tutorial video in the the tutorials section. This one is different from my previous ones, in that it doesn't demonstrate the techniques that I use in my comic on this site. It's about the more traditional industrial design style that I use for my commercial work. I hope this doesn't come across too much as self promotion. I'm just trying to share any tips or techniques that might end up being helpful to other artists out there. http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/tutorial/527/
Ozoneocean at 10:11AM, June 15, 2017
(online)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
For those people who have occasionally commented on my drawing techniques, I have put up a link to another tutorial video in the the tutorials section. This one is different from my previous ones, in that it doesn't demonstrate the techniques that I use in my comic on this site. It's about the more traditional industrial design style that I use for my commercial work. I hope this doesn't come across too much as self promotion. I'm just trying to share any tips or techniques that might end up being helpful to other artists out there. http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/tutorial/527/
WOW! Amazing work man!!!!
Everyone should watch.

BTW, Pinky TA has updated: http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Pinky_TA/5543232/
BnW at 7:56PM, June 22, 2017
(online)
Hello…how could i upload series of pages here??? Becoz it allows me only to upload 1 comic thumbnail and 1 heading …thanks..
Ironscarf at 6:18AM, June 23, 2017
(offline)
BnW wrote:
Hello…how could i upload series of pages here??? Becoz it allows me only to upload 1 comic thumbnail and 1 heading …thanks..

Answered on the Tips/Tricks/Support thread. Good luck.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon