Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2019! General discussion thread
Ozoneocean at 6:47PM, Jan. 9, 2018
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I was summoned for jury duty and I am spending the morning in the juror lounge watching Netflix and hanging out. I already gave the green light that I am available for a six day trial.

I must need a holiday from work if jury duty looks like a much needed vacation.
Don't do it, being on a jury is a soul draining experience.

last edited on Jan. 9, 2018 9:38PM
usedbooks at 7:04PM, Jan. 9, 2018
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
usedbooks wrote:
Job hunting is stressful and painful. The worst part is when well-meaning people try to give you “advice.”

Well meaning “advice” - sister to that special form of “encouragement”, where they tell you all the things they'd be doing if they had your talent.

Yeah. There is nothing that highlights and deepens the generation gap than “well-meaning advice” – at least when it comes to jobs/education/economy.

I'll take cooking and housekeeping advice from the more experienced generations at any time. Also writing, plot development, and art tips if they are in the field/interest. (But not unsolicited. Actually, all unsolicited advice sucks regardless of interest/expertise/usefulness.)
bravo1102 at 8:44PM, Jan. 9, 2018
(offline)
usedbooks wrote:
Ironscarf wrote:
usedbooks wrote:
Job hunting is stressful and painful. The worst part is when well-meaning people try to give you “advice.”

Well meaning “advice” - sister to that special form of “encouragement”, where they tell you all the things they'd be doing if they had your talent.

Yeah. There is nothing that highlights and deepens the generation gap than “well-meaning advice” – at least when it comes to jobs/education/economy.

I'll take cooking and housekeeping advice from the more experienced generations at any time. Also writing, plot development, and art tips if they are in the field/interest. (But not unsolicited. Actually, all unsolicited advice sucks regardless of interest/expertise/usefulness.)
My highly successful sister is running into the same issues with our nephews. She's even run successful mmentoring and intern programs for many who have become successful in their own right. But her own family finds it difficult to follow her advice. One of her under achieving brothers never did and is a complete ne'er do well stuck in a minimum wage job and only finding satisfaction through creating visually sumptuous but little read fiction.
Emma_Clare at 9:38PM, Jan. 9, 2018
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I was summoned for jury duty and I am spending the morning in the juror lounge watching Netflix and hanging out. I already gave the green light that I am available for a six day trial.

OMG this. Did it once and will never do it again. It was so emotionally difficult.
bravo1102 at 11:06PM, Jan. 9, 2018
(offline)
Emma_Clare wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

OMG this. Did it once and will never do it again. It was so emotionally difficult.
And I have done it three times. I can't get picked for a jury because between my wife and sister I know most judges and lawyers in my county. So it's time to sit and watch movies.
But going to court as a plaintiff or defendant is draining. And depositions and arbitration? Talk about slow dread leading to absolute terror.

For me the hardest thing about being a potential juror is finding a parking place. But going to court? Couldn't I just be a victim in a slasher film instead?
last edited on Jan. 9, 2018 11:09PM
Ozoneocean at 11:04AM, Jan. 11, 2018
(online)
Pakistani and Muslim religious people keep on trying to add me as friends on Facebook… I'm not sure why.
I know partly: it's because of my hussar stuff and the Pakistani people that want to add me mostly seem to make complex uniform replica items so I imagine they're stalking me to sell me stuff.

But I don't get why the Muslim religious attraction. I stick up for Muslims when people are being dicks to them but I'm not interested in being facebook friends with anyone that defines themselves by a religion, no matter what it is.
usedbooks at 11:09AM, Jan. 11, 2018
(online)
ozoneocean but I'm not interested in being facebook friends with anyone that defines themselves by a religion, no matter what it is.

Me either. Unfortunately that includes the vast majority of my dad's cousins. -_- (So I have them friended – but marked as acquaintances and I don't follow them.)
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:39AM, Jan. 11, 2018
(online)
Okay, so to follow up, the case turned out to be a Criminal Trial. I managed to pass three levels of the screening process and the next thing I knew, I was going up an elevator to enter the court room for jury screenings.

I jokingly said, “This is like ‘The Voice’ only the winner gets to be on a jury for a MURDER!!” Welp, it turned out that the case really was for a murder, and the suspect was sitting right in front of me in the defense chair.

When it was my turn to answer a questionaire during the selection process, my answers were SO biased that they had no choice but excuse me ASAP. I walked out feeling relief because the thought of missing six days of work and having to see graphic images of murder weapons that were used on a female victim made me sick to my stomach.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 7:17PM, Jan. 11, 2018
(offline)
usedbooks wrote:
ozoneocean but I'm not interested in being facebook friends with anyone that defines themselves by a religion, no matter what it is.

Me either. Unfortunately that includes the vast majority of my dad's cousins. -_- (So I have them friended – but marked as acquaintances and I don't follow them.)
I don't mind so much. In fact one of my namesakes on FB is a pastor and posts inspirational evangelical stuff. I have to deal with religious people all day, every day especially evangelical Christians so I have to be tolerant. I'm the despised minority, though I love blowing their minds with how much I know about the Bible and ancient history.
usedbooks at 8:15PM, Jan. 13, 2018
(online)
Bouncing a string of brainstorms off my brother, I finally broke through writer's block for the B plot of my next section of Used Books. Nick of time too, since I'm at the climax of my current arc.

(My brain has been stuck in the finale arcs, which are four or five stories down the line. It sucks that my mind gets far-sighted and I can't focus on the more pressing material.)
lba at 11:32AM, Jan. 16, 2018
(online)
I never get picked for jury duty because the mail-in questionnaire always asks, “are you or is any close family member or friend a law enforcement officer”. I always tick “yes”.

Not my fault they're not specific enough to ask if my jurisdiction is 300+ miles away and only covers specific people under certain circumstances.
KimLuster at 12:31PM, Jan. 16, 2018
(online)
Ughhh… legal stuff… I've been involved with it all… juries, plaintiffs, defendants, criminal and civil, para-legal work, lawyer friends… It all leaves me feeling oily and dirty!! Blech!!

And I used to like toying with the religious-fanatical types (I'm good at throwing the ‘hard’ questions at them and watching them squirm, get confused and frightened, get defensive, get angry and tell me I'm going to hell…) but as I get older I tend to leave them alone. Not worth my time and you are NOT going to change their minds, no matter how much you grind them into the dust with logic. (Incidentally, I love talking with people-of-faith that are humble and open in their beliefs, and/or are educated with at least a modicum of scientific knowledge).
Niccea at 4:40AM, Jan. 18, 2018
(offline)
I have only recieved jury summons once and that was 8 years ago. I filled out my full time student exemption and that was that.

My husband on the other hand had three summons in the last 8 years. First one he also had student exemption. Second one was for a noise complaint against a gas well. He said he lives next to Texas Motor Speedway and has no compliments, so he wasn't picked. Third time was summons from a county we weren't in.

My father-in-law gets out when he asserts a firm belief in the letter of the law during interviews.
last edited on Jan. 18, 2018 4:51AM
tupapayon at 8:29PM, Jan. 19, 2018
(online)
About religion… I can't tell who's right or who's left… once a recruiter for a seminary talked to me about joining the seminary and get a degree… I was thinking: have you seen my posts and comments on FB?… anyways, his thinking was that I was able to ask the hard questions some won't ask… I guess one of them would be: what the heck is tohuvabohu really about?…
Ozoneocean at 11:47PM, Jan. 20, 2018
(online)
tupapayon wrote:
what the heck is tohuvabohu really about?…
I think we're all mystified about that ;)
Ozoneocean at 11:20PM, Jan. 21, 2018
(online)
This morning before work I thought I'd clear up some fallen umbrella tree stems. I gathered them up in a bundle and went to snap them so they'd take up less space in the bin.
But they wouldn't snap :/

Sometimes they're pretty tough to snap in a bunch so I tried harder… and nothing happened.
I thought I might be having a really weak moment. I thought about harshly snapping them over my knee, but decided instead to snap them over a stone wall.
So I put all my strength and weight in the task and slowly bent them all… but they weren't really snapping, just bending. I was very confused. :?

It was only when I went to finally stuff them in the bin that I realised that one of the stems was actually a solid steel rod!! Because it was rusty brown it looked the same as an ordinary brown, brittle umbrella tree stem. The bastard thing was a hook used for hanging flowerpots. it had fallen amongst the stems and hidden, waiting to play a joke on me :(

I am SO glad I decided not to snap it over my leg O_O
last edited on Jan. 21, 2018 11:21PM
bravo1102 at 12:44AM, Jan. 22, 2018
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
tupapayon wrote:
It's one of those things that people are more interested in debating than actually finding an answer.

As for breaking branches; reminds me of the old analogy of the sticks. Separately they are easily broken but bound together they cannot. Divide and conquer. I wouldn't have gone on trying different methods to break them, I would have made smaller bundles.
last edited on Jan. 22, 2018 12:51AM
KimLuster at 7:57AM, Jan. 22, 2018
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:
tupapayon wrote:
It's one of those things that people are more interested in debating than actually finding an answer.

As for breaking branches; reminds me of the old analogy of the sticks. Separately they are easily broken but bound together they cannot. Divide and conquer. I wouldn't have gone on trying different methods to break them, I would have made smaller bundles.

Together… apes strong!

Apes stupid!!
bravo1102 at 8:59AM, Jan. 22, 2018
(offline)
KimLuster wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:
tupapayon wrote:

Together… apes strong!

Apes stupid!!
Benjamin Franklin as about to sign the Declaration of independence: this paper is our ticket to the gallows; but one thing is sure, if we do not hang together we most assuredly will hang separately.
Ozoneocean at 2:39AM, Jan. 23, 2018
(online)
It's very satisfying and time saving to break them all at once… which pretty much always works XD

That steel rod was very tough I'm surprised I bent it like that. I needed a vice to bend it back into shape.
Usually I'm very careful about that sort of thing, i.e. applying too much strength to something.
I've fallen into that trap before and ended up breaking things, including myself. It's even possible to do a simple lazy, tired stretch and injure yourself by doing it too hard. Human bodies don't have many failsafes built in to prevent overuse. :(

Reminds me of the stupid myth that a person who doesn't feel pain must be superhuman and able to be a great fighter or athlete or whatever, hahaha, noooooo… if you don't feel pain you have a SERIOUS disability and will very quickly lose a limb or die from nothing more serious than a tiny cut.
The fate of diabetics and lepers.
(-it gets infected and they don't know because they can't feel it, it goes sceptic and they lose the limb or die)
last edited on Jan. 23, 2018 2:42AM
bravo1102 at 8:08AM, Jan. 23, 2018
(offline)
Also extreme endorphins and adrenaline one feels no pain. Soldiers in combat often won't realize they're wounded until they see their own blood and then feel the pain. See John Keegan Face of Battle and Alexander Rose Men of War: The American Soldier in combat at Bunker Hill, Gettysburg and Iwo Jima. among other works.

My brothers brother-in-law just passed away due to complications from surgery for sepis from diabetes.

And don't remind me about stretching too much destroying your body. I tore my aductor because of stretching for running.
Ozoneocean at 8:37AM, Jan. 23, 2018
(online)
That's terrible about your brother in law :(

Re: no pain in fights-
In my teens I got into a lot of fights and yeah, you tend not to feel anything in the middle of one. You can take huge dammage. The only things that can stop you is physical restraint, getting the wind knocked out of you, losing energy to your limbs (weird when it happens), or being knocked out, which never happened to me but I came close.
Pain didn't come into the equation. I punched a brick wall twice in a row once when the guy kept dodging. There was skin hanging off my thumb but I didn't feel it. it just made me angrier at him.
tupapayon at 5:11PM, Jan. 27, 2018
(online)
Part of my health problems have been the fact that I cannot feel my feet.So, slight injuries can become infected rather quickly. Add to that some renal problems and you get a life full of adventures… and antibiotics…
fallopiancrusader at 2:56PM, Feb. 4, 2018
(offline)
Just in case anyone is interested, I posted up another tutorial in the tutorials section http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/tutorial/549/ It's a youtube video of me coloring pen and ink line work using Photoshop. I accelerated the recording 4x, then narrated over the video. The subject matter is an industrial design presentation drawing, but the visual style is pretty much the same as what's seen in traditional comic books. This video talks more about the thought process behind creating visual narratives, as opposed to elucidating specific drawing techniques.
Ozoneocean at 8:15PM, Feb. 6, 2018
(online)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
Just in case anyone is interested, I posted up another tutorial in the tutorials section http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/tutorial/549/
Brilliant!
PIT_FACE at 3:31AM, Feb. 9, 2018
(online)
Why's it smell like someone took a shit in the hallway!!

bravo1102 at 6:42AM, Feb. 9, 2018
(offline)
PIT_FACE wrote:
I called the plumber, going to have to snake the whole sewer line.
Ironscarf at 11:30AM, Feb. 9, 2018
(offline)
PIT_FACE wrote:

Directly below you, there's a giant fatberg, laced with human excrement?
Ozoneocean at 6:34PM, Feb. 13, 2018
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
PIT_FACE wrote:

Directly below you, there's a giant fatberg, laced with human excrement?

The scary thing is that those aren't just comical concepts… o_O
Ironscarf at 8:17PM, Feb. 13, 2018
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
The scary thing is that those aren't just comical concepts… o_O

Definitely not and we are justifiably proud of our sewer monsters!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon