Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2019! General discussion thread
BearinOz at 10:47PM, Nov. 23, 2019
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Gerry Anderson special effects take flight.
And the ladies with the tight silver suits and purple hair from Moonbase?

Interceptors immediate launch!

I have the UFO series on DVD.

And there's a new Thunderbirds Series too. In its third season already.
Well I was in my 20s, when UFO was on the idiot box. I used to love it. 1999 too. I'd forgotten about “tight silver suits and purple hair” B-)
Ozoneocean at 4:24AM, Nov. 24, 2019
(online)
It's personal as well as cultural…
Maybe it is depression or ennui or something. I don't know.
I feel, but there's quite a delay, like hitting your thumb with a hammer and then yelping in pain an hour later XD
bravo1102 at 1:01AM, Nov. 26, 2019
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
It's personal as well as cultural…
Maybe it is depression or ennui or something. I don't know.
I feel, but there's quite a delay, like hitting your thumb with a hammer and then yelping in pain an hour later XD

What, that isn't normal? Well, I hope your brain at least turned off the oven before it went on holiday.

Sensory overload. So much has come so fast that the brain needs time to rest and process everything.

So you can feel distracted or not in the moment because the brain is still off trying to make sense of last week.

Been a few comics and cartoons done about this feeling. Like one where the guy is still working away feeling detached and his brain is on a lounge chair with sun glasses drinking a Margarita with Jimmy Buffett.
Natalaa Hopkins at 4:28PM, Nov. 26, 2019
(offline)
How do I post on this website? I can't figure it out.
Genejoke at 5:22PM, Nov. 26, 2019
(online)
User control panel-create comic
Genejoke at 5:26PM, Nov. 26, 2019
(online)
Well I've had my operation and I'm fairly well recovered but I cannot get my head in to anything creative. To be honest part of me wants to delete all my comics and start fresh.
Ozoneocean at 11:31PM, Nov. 26, 2019
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Like one where the guy is still working away feeling detached and his brain is on a lounge chair with sun glasses drinking a Margarita with Jimmy Buffett.
Hahaha! Sounds about right BD

Genejoke wrote:
To be honest part of me wants to delete all my comics and start fresh.
Never a good idea :D
last edited on Nov. 26, 2019 11:33PM
Genejoke at 1:45AM, Nov. 27, 2019
(online)
I know, and so far I have resisted the urge. I'll get my head round it soon enough.
bravo1102 at 4:06AM, Nov. 27, 2019
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
I know, and so far I have resisted the urge. I'll get my head round it soon enough.

I know how you feel. But don't. They're a legacy and to be honest, I keep finding that new readers have discovered them as the likes go up on comics that I concluded years ago.
Genejoke at 6:46PM, Nov. 27, 2019
(online)
Well I resisted and have started work on a short story for the anthology, the first two pages are complete.
Ozoneocean at 8:12PM, Nov. 27, 2019
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
Well I resisted and have started work on a short story for the anthology, the first two pages are complete.
That's awesome! :D
Ironscarf at 7:48AM, Nov. 29, 2019
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
Well I've had my operation and I'm fairly well recovered but I cannot get my head in to anything creative.

I had a similar experience and I'm thinking it could be a side effect of the general anaesthetic? Everything came to a standstill and I could barely motivate myself to pick up a pencil or open a digital file. I'm glad you managed not to trash everything.

Ozoneocean at 1:54AM, Nov. 30, 2019
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
I had a similar experience and I'm thinking it could be a side effect of the general anaesthetic? Everything came to a standstill and I could barely motivate myself to pick up a pencil or open a digital file. I'm glad you managed not to trash everything.
Possibly.
Possibly as simple as the brain suffering a crash after being used to being bathed in happy happy serotonin. :)

That happened to me routinely when I took opiate based painkiller for migraines. It's the reason I hate them so much.
BearinOz at 4:21AM, Nov. 30, 2019
(online)
That happened to me routinely when I took opiate based painkiller for migraines. It's the reason I hate them so much.
Oh yeah… I get a strong codeine/paracetemol the doc has to ring Canberra for a permission code for. Use them as little as poss' - they just stuff up your whole metabolism….had Sat-Tues on them for hip pain after falling on my slate floor, Friday. Was also on them for a full fortnight a few months ago, for an abcess. They give me nightmares too, quite often (which the ‘real poppy juice’ never did, in my mildly wayward ‘yoof’ B-) )

Genejoke at 6:36PM, Nov. 30, 2019
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Ironscarf wrote:
Possibly.
Possibly as simple as the brain suffering a crash after being used to being bathed in happy happy serotonin. :)

Opiate based pain killers… I've been on morphine for a while that could have been a factor as I've been cutting down.
Ozoneocean at 12:32AM, Dec. 2, 2019
(online)
That's exactly what it does:
When you're off it you can get lots of nasty withdrawal symptoms:
Lack of motivation.
Depression.
Ennui.
Irritability.
Short temper.
Tiredness and fatigue.

The depression and lack of motivation can be absolutely crippling for a creative person!

You have to balance all that up against the pain you're using the pills to fight… but the thing is that opiates are bad for chronic or long term pain because they lose their effectiveness and you have to keep on increasing the dose.

In the end it's best just not to take them unless you're desperate- that has 3 benefits:
1. It's cheaper.
2. You avoid the side effects.
3. They keep their effectiveness.
Genejoke at 5:57PM, Dec. 15, 2019
(online)
Just had a holiday and while on it I discovered there was a recent mini series updating one of my favourite characters from my childhood. After reading it I wasn't overly impressed, sure there were things to like but over all it was a bit childish for my tastes now. That's more my problem than an issue with the product, tastes change after all. Still it got me wondering how I would have done it and before I knew it I had a solid outline for a fan comic. The problem was that my outline was perhaps too different as it lost some of the key elements that have always been there with the character. A day or two later I thought the idea was solid, so why not make an original comic from it? A few hours later I had a script written, but it was too grounded in reality and didn't lend itself to the tone I was aiming for. A little bit of tweaking and setting it in a more obviously alternate version today I nailed the tone I wanted. So now I have a script for the first story of a potentially ongoing series, and a series document with all manner of characters and plot threads to build upon the question is, will I ever make it? hmmm, dunno.

Banes at 8:37AM, Dec. 16, 2019
(offline)
that’s awesome, Genejoke! Glad to hear you’ve jumped back into things!

bravo1102 at 7:04AM, Dec. 17, 2019
(offline)
That's wonderful Genejoke. That's why I came up with the atrocity that's my current comic. I had to do something. Anything to keep myself going.
Ironscarf at 8:37AM, Dec. 17, 2019
(offline)
That's the spirit, the old creative juices don't ferment in silence indefinitely. Sooner or later lid will blow and a new brew will emerge.
Ozoneocean at 6:42PM, Dec. 18, 2019
(online)
Good on you Genejoke!

Does anyone else use Duolingo?
If so, what langaunge are you doing and is it any good for really learning?

I'm doing German, my name is Ozoneocean MJM on there if you want to add me :)

I'd like to think I'm learning and getting better but I'm slightly doubtful.
last edited on Dec. 18, 2019 6:46PM
MYCROWSCREAMS at 6:58PM, Dec. 19, 2019
(offline)
hey! i have a comic that i've been working on for, erm, two days, haha. and i really enjoy what i have so far, i'd appreciate it if you looked!
https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/THEOCRACY/
Genejoke at 5:21AM, Dec. 24, 2019
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Good on you Genejoke!

Does anyone else use Duolingo?
If so, what langaunge are you doing and is it any good for really learning?

I'm doing German, my name is Ozoneocean MJM on there if you want to add me :)

I'd like to think I'm learning and getting better but I'm slightly doubtful.

nope. will have to look it up as I need to improve my spanish.
Ozoneocean at 4:05AM, Dec. 30, 2019
(online)
It's pretty good. If you DO try it let me know :)

Anyone got any plans for new years?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon