Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2019! General discussion thread
El Cid at 7:42AM, Oct. 6, 2019
(online)
I finished the artwork for the story over a week ago. It's 35 pages. I'm gradually filling in the dialogue as I find time.
bravo1102 at 9:37AM, Oct. 6, 2019
(offline)
El Cid wrote:
I finished the artwork for the story over a week ago. It's 35 pages. I'm gradually filling in the dialogue as I find time.

El Cid and Friends: A Drunk Duck Anthology

The popularity of El Cid's comics might prove to be a selling point. ;)
El Cid at 1:40PM, Oct. 6, 2019
(online)
Once they find out there's no sex in the story, interest may wane a bit.
Genejoke at 2:13PM, Oct. 6, 2019
(online)
Shush, think of marketing.
Ironscarf at 3:53PM, Oct. 6, 2019
(offline)
El Cid wrote:

You mean, my story will have more sexual content than yours???

Genejoke at 8:53PM, Oct. 6, 2019
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
El Cid wrote:

You mean, my story will have more sexual content than yours???

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.
Genejoke at 1:32AM, Oct. 7, 2019
(online)
I should be on holiday, sadly my gallbladder and pancreas had other ideas and I'm high as a kite and in hospital.
bravo1102 at 4:13AM, Oct. 7, 2019
(offline)
Hope it's nothing too serious that medical treatment can take care of with little difficulty.

The wife keeps “shopping when hungry ” and brings home snacks. So I binge and my blood pressure skyrockets. I shouldn't eat the stuff. I can't eat the stuff. Up hacking half the night from my reflux.

And it's getting to the point where any caffeine is too much. I'm getting old. Lol.
Genejoke at 4:53AM, Oct. 7, 2019
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Hope it's nothing too serious that medical treatment can take care of with little difficulty.

The wife keeps “shopping when hungry ” and brings home snacks. So I binge and my blood pressure skyrockets. I shouldn't eat the stuff. I can't eat the stuff. Up hacking half the night from my reflux.

And it's getting to the point where any caffeine is too much. I'm getting old. Lol.

It's sort of borderline. Painful and can be serious, not sure if mine is yet
Ironscarf at 11:28AM, Oct. 8, 2019
(offline)
Best of luck, I'm keeping everything crossed for you. I'm sitting in recovery myself as I type this. Sadly not high as a kite - might have to ask for more pain killers.

e: Hernia fixed and I now have a couple of weeks of not being able to do very much at all. Perfect time to start kicking my anthology contribution into shape.
last edited on Oct. 9, 2019 8:27AM
BearinOz at 6:10AM, Oct. 10, 2019
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:

. Up hacking half the night from my reflux.

It's sort of borderline. Painful and can be serious, not sure if mine is yet
I hope you're not a Ranitidine user like I am (was, in 4 tablets time), since it's been withdrawn now !
Genejoke at 8:12AM, Oct. 10, 2019
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
Best of luck, I'm keeping everything crossed for you. I'm sitting in recovery myself as I type this. Sadly not high as a kite - might have to ask for more pain killers.

e: Hernia fixed and I now have a couple of weeks of not being able to do very much at all. Perfect time to start kicking my anthology contribution into shape.

Sounds good on both counts. I'm still stuck in hospital, having a camera stuck in my gullet Monday and hopefully soon after that they will decide they can operate. It's very tedious but I've been getting some reading done, but being in a ward of men with dodgy digestive systems isn't conducive to creative writing. Maybe I'll try again tonight to the sound of them all snoring, I can imagine sleeping elder god's as inspiration.
Froggtreecomics at 10:15AM, Oct. 14, 2019
(offline)
Get Well Soon, all you ill people. (Even though we all know that you are FAKING to dodge double Maffs on Tuesday.)
El Cid at 6:16PM, Oct. 14, 2019
(online)
Oof! Hope it goes well, Genejoke!
Ozoneocean at 1:26AM, Oct. 22, 2019
(online)
Get well man!!!!
Ozoneocean at 9:50PM, Oct. 24, 2019
(online)
I haven't been too active on the forum here but I've been tackling the advertising, news reposting, Quackcasts and constantly checking and deleting spam accounts, so rest assured the place is alive and I'm still here working every day :)
Ironscarf at 5:57AM, Oct. 25, 2019
(offline)
In a world of ever increasing uncertainty, that's good to know.
Ozoneocean at 9:30PM, Oct. 31, 2019
(online)
All quiet on the western front? :D
Ironscarf at 4:27PM, Nov. 3, 2019
(offline)
Are we getting to the end of the page? All live in quiet dread of that frightful juncture, for whomsoever posts at Pagefall, shall ne'er be qouted at Pagerise again.

bravo1102 at 1:55AM, Nov. 4, 2019
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
All quiet on the western front? :D
Quiet? No.

Nothing to report? Yes.
bravo1102 at 12:51PM, Nov. 4, 2019
(offline)
Call Me Tom wrote:
I don't know how not to feel crippling guilt whenever I try to draw comics any more.
Is the guilt legitimately yours or was it given to you by someone else? Either way you can disown it.

Do you need it? Is it doing any good for you or is it stopping you from growing as a person?

What would happen if you just bundled all.thf guilt up into a ball and threw it away? Would the guilt police come and imprison you?

Write out an essay “why I am guilty” put down everything that makes you guilty and bad and awful. Take it out and tip it to shreds and burn it and throw it away. Your guilt is now gone. It is no longer a part of you.

People do this every day and it works. There are self help books as well as health care professionals who will walk you through this.

It's not easy, but it can be done and you can go on to live the rest of your life to your full potential.

And there are some days when I just can't get out of bed and two weeks ago I didn't. But I so needed that. Just time for me and not the 8 hours of torture I call my job. But the rest of the time I can do it. One day at a time.
Ozoneocean at 6:30AM, Nov. 15, 2019
(online)
A reply to Skreem about the new Star Wars movies-

Film series are for whoever choses to whatch them, not for any particular group 😉

There's a popular misconception nowadays that the original films were for kids, but when the original series was released it was mainly young adults and teens that it was marketed to and who went to see it. Look at all the footage of the people who lined up for it.

I think the “for kids” thing comes from the fact that Lucas was trying to sell the toys to kids as a marketing tie in, but people tried to do that with all TV shows and movies that had any SciFi or fantasy elements, even David Lynch's Dune and V had toys 😁
Even Blake's Seven, and that was Darrrrk…
last edited on Nov. 15, 2019 6:32AM
Ironscarf at 7:56AM, Nov. 15, 2019
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:

I think the “for kids” thing comes from the fact that Lucas was trying to sell the toys to kids as a marketing tie in, but people tried to do that with all TV shows and movies that had any SciFi or fantasy elements, even David Lynch's Dune and V had toys 😁

I got a UFO interceptor back in the early seventies. That show had plenty of tie in merch, but it definitely wasn't intended for kids. It seemed very dark to me at the time. Even the end theme (best end theme ever) was a little disorientating on a Sunday morning!
bravo1102 at 11:40AM, Nov. 15, 2019
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:

I got a UFO interceptor back in the early seventies. That show had plenty of tie in merch, but it definitely wasn't intended for kids. It seemed very dark to me at the time. Even the end theme (best end theme ever) was a little disorientating on a Sunday morning!
I was told by guys who worked in toy design that it wasn't so much the audience the show was intended for as it was what elements could be merchandised and what things from the show were the most “toyetic”

Dinky had all the Gerry Anderson shows and made all the vehicles. They also did Blake's Seven for the ships.

Dune was merchandised because there were so many things in it that could be made into toys. The line failed.

Robotech was weird because it was sold to Matchbox who made a line of fashion dolls? A violent giant robot anime got fashion dolls? Huh?

Today a lot of toys are as much for collectors as they are for kids. Look at the whole Todd MacFarlane lineup.

The J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies had large scale figures but the line was cut short – and there was so much clamor from collectors that the canceled items were released in a special collector series.

Star Trek The Original Series has gone through four or five different toy lines and the first wasn't until after it was cancelled and in syndication. The gift that keeps giving.
last edited on Nov. 15, 2019 11:46AM
dpat57 at 12:28PM, Nov. 15, 2019
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
I would have killed for that, just so you know.

Forces TV (obscure satellite channel in the UK) ran UFO eps a few weeks back, I missed a few, hope they'll start them over again soon. Those I saw were great. You're not wrong about the end theme. I loved those shiny spinning UFOs.
Ozoneocean at 4:34AM, Nov. 17, 2019
(online)
That UFO show freaked me out!
Banes at 9:01AM, Nov. 17, 2019
(offline)
It's so weird to pop in to the forum to see a UFO topic. I just woke up from a vivid dream about driving down the road and seeing this weird object up in the sky, looking kind of like a big, sleek kitchen appliance.

Then, right up ahead and hovering over me was this big rectangular object. My mind was racing, panicked at what was going to happen to me. I kept driving and saw multiple objects overhead, some of which were house-shaped (but made of a white, plastic looking material.

They didn't look to be actual houses - they were the right shape, but looked like models of houses. The bottoms were solid material; it didn't look like they'd been pulled out of the ground.

Things were scattered all over the sky. On the road, in the middle of the expressway were various other objects - some were alien looking, and some phone booths for some reason. Ah, dream logic.

Everything's over, I thought. What's going to happen to us?

It was one of those hyper-real dreams. Freaked me out.

Like I said, it's odd to see UFO talk here after waking up from that.

Do you guys know something???

last edited on Nov. 17, 2019 9:03AM
bravo1102 at 12:53PM, Nov. 17, 2019
(offline)
Gerry Anderson special effects take flight. Was Skydiver in there Banes?

And the ladies with the tight silver suits and purple hair from Moonbase?

Interceptors immediate launch!

I have the UFO series on DVD. It's my favorite of the series. Never quite understood it as a kid. UFO or Space:1999 was on at 4 pm, Mission:Impossible at 5 and Star Trek at 6. Sundays in the 1970s.

I still have dreams about coming across a “lost” original series of Star Trek episode and then it shifts to doing a comic with the figures and I'm in the crew and then on a sound stage and back at the TV in typical dream logic.

And I wake up and shake my head and know I have to do another Tales of SIG story.

Which as I've said is tribute to another Gerry Anderson series that was a sequel of sorts to UFO though it preceded it. Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons Gerry Anderson fandom wove all the series into one future history with UFO in an alternate 1980s, Space:1999 following and believe it or not Thunderbirds and Stingray are happening in our present day. The Mars flight should be happening in a couple of years and the encounter with the Mysterons soon after.

Still time to join Spectrum boys and girls because Spectrum is Green and International Rescue is FAB.

And there's a new Thunderbirds Series too. In its third season already.

last edited on Nov. 17, 2019 12:59PM
Ozoneocean at 10:19PM, Nov. 22, 2019
(online)
What's it called when you're in an emotional state where most things don't affect you too deeply, where you're sort of observing but not really able to feel the same things as others (or as deeply), so you have to try and take queues in order to catch on and work out the right responses and the right way to act?

I think that's where I am at the moment. It feels like Missing the first 2 episodes of a series so you have to catch up and trying and work out what's going on via context clues XD

BearinOz at 10:43PM, Nov. 23, 2019
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
What's it called when you're in an emotional state where most things don't affect you too deeply, where you're sort of observing but not really able to feel the same things as others (or as deeply), so you have to try and take queues in order to catch on and…
“Cues” …it sounds like depression B-) I've learned a lot about depression in recent years, before realising I get it. Most people think depression is being incredibly sad, gut ‘sad’ is an emotion at least, so when I'm sad, I realise I'm no longer depressed. ‘Proper’ depression is more of a ‘pit’ of not giving a minus thousand fucks about anything.
I know that's NOT what you're talking about though… it's more the “cultural enthusiasm” you don't feel for stuff . I get that a lot ! B-)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon