Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2021! General Discussion Thread
L.C.Stein at 2:31PM, April 4, 2021
(offline)
@MegaRDaniels WOW!! I love that cover! Beautifully illustrated! <3

I am also interested in possible print on demand services / experiences as well.
bravo1102 at 5:07AM, April 5, 2021
(offline)
Bottom just fell out. Was going along and suddenly all I could do over the weekend was sleep. The comic is staring at me but I have a buffer. Still biologically based depression just sneaks up and rips it all out of me.

And entirely too many cookies.
Ozoneocean at 6:08PM, April 5, 2021
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Bottom just fell out. Was going along and suddenly all I could do over the weekend was sleep. The comic is staring at me but I have a buffer. Still biologically based depression just sneaks up and rips it all out of me.

And entirely too many cookies.
Same man. Starting on Monday.
UGH! It's awful… :(
MegaRdaniels at 7:49PM, April 5, 2021
(online)
L.C.Stein wrote:
@MegaRDaniels WOW!! I love that cover! Beautifully illustrated! <3

I am also interested in possible print on demand services / experiences as well.

Thanks! I do have a few pages if one would like to see them. :)
bravo1102 at 6:51AM, April 7, 2021
(offline)
Well I've now had run ins with 9/11 Truthers and Flat Earthers on Twitter. Incredible.

The 9/11 folks were especially fanatic trying to prove everything via meme. Even worse they were the “no airplane” truthers twisting things out of all recognition. I only jumped in because they totally misrepresented how armor piercing rounds work on a tank to say that aluminum can't penetrate the steel of the twin towers. They neatly overlook that fact that the buildings were only steel frame and that steel was not face hardened armor plate. But who's counting?

The flat earther was beyond belief. YouTube is the authoritive source for science not professional journals and real life peer-reviewed scientific data.

H.l. Mencken was right , One belly laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. I just couldn't stop laughing.
Ozoneocean at 7:40PM, April 7, 2021
(online)
It's also energy, not just one material vs another: i.e. the weight of all that aluminium and its speed equals a lot of energy, which would even go through tank armour :(
Battleship armour might be ok, possibly… But yeah, the sides of buildings aren't normally covered in 12 inches of hardened steal plates.

—————————-

My little 10 year old tabby cat thinks she's in charge of me.
She tells me when I should go to bed and gets very annoyed when I don't and she also tells me when I should wake up in the morning- NOT because she wants food, because she doesn't like eating that much anyway, there's always dry food in her bowl and she doesn't get wet food till lunch time anyway- she just thinks I should be out of bed by 7.30am

This morning she was jumping and crawling all over me, meowing, chatting, batting and biting my thumbs.

All the while her brother sleeps happily on the bed in another room and doesn't wake up for anything XD
BearinOz at 11:06PM, April 7, 2021
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Well I've now had run ins with 9/11 Truthers and Flat Earthers on Twitter. Incredible.
I don't do twitter… but one of life's little joys - web interaction with fuckwits B-)
Ozoneocean at 7:40PM, April 8, 2021
(online)
BearinOz wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
I don't do twitter… but one of life's little joys - web interaction with fuckwits B-)
Facebook is more full of those XD
bravo1102 at 1:01AM, April 9, 2021
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
BearinOz wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
Facebook is more full of those XD

Also YouTube. Actually the internet is teeming with them in their little echo chambers going on about how exceptional they are. But that's another thread.
Call Me Tom at 1:58PM, April 9, 2021
(offline)
Maybe my drawings aren't as bad as I think they are.

Oh wait I think I may be worse than I thought! 😜
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
Ozoneocean at 6:46PM, April 9, 2021
(online)
Call Me Tom wrote:

Awesome :D
Genejoke at 2:47PM, April 10, 2021
(online)
Call Me Tom wrote:

Callmetom, sort your self esteem out. You art is fine always has been. I really like your art style and have no idea who or what makes you feel bad about it, but whatever it is… it's wrong. Keep going, keep enjoying doing it and ignore the doubts.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 11:09PM, April 10, 2021
(offline)
Call Me Tom wrote:

Looks pretty cool to me👍
MegaRdaniels at 6:28PM, April 12, 2021
(online)
I am finally writing Vol 2. Of Stringy and Mopy: Underground #1. The Fourth issue for Vol 1 is completed and everything. So that's two scripts done. :)
Andreas_Helixfinger at 6:56AM, April 13, 2021
(offline)
MegaRdaniels wrote:
I am finally writing Vol 2. Of Stringy and Mopy: Underground #1. The Fourth issue for Vol 1 is completed and everything. So that's two scripts done. :)

Way to go, MegaRDaniels👍 I'm myself finnishing up on some of my own comic scripts as we speak. Gotta go like a sword & sorcery style barbarian warrior on those docs, sword and axe in hand, and just clean house!
last edited on April 13, 2021 7:01AM
bravo1102 at 5:53AM, April 14, 2021
(offline)
Well, posted all the pages I have done and even with increasing to three times a week there is enough of a buffer to last until the end of May.

In other news got my first COVID19 vaccination shot and my left shoulder hurt for three days. But putting together that bathroom cabinet right after probably didn't help. I also picked the wrong arm. I forgot that I had pulled a muscle in my left shoulder two months ago and the shot was right into a trigger point. Should have gotten the shot directly into my head. That seems to be dense enough. 🤣
Ironscarf at 4:56PM, April 14, 2021
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
In other news got my first COVID19 vaccination shot and my left shoulder hurt for three days.

I had three days of sore arm too, plus a feeling of being halfway through a bottle of wine for a few days. I was hoping that side effect would be permanent, but no such luck.

I listened to the quackcast today and discovered the Mary Sue contest was running again and now I'm searching the recesses of my old desktop for the idea I had first time around, but didn't get to make.
This comes exactly as I'm writing the character I came up with back then into a new comic. Coincidence perhaps, but I prefer to think precognition is another vaccine side effect.
MegaRdaniels at 7:26PM, April 14, 2021
(online)
So as I am buttoning up Issue #4 Script for Stringy and Mopy: The Adventure Begins, I hired Riley Webber for the character designs for Stringy and Snow White. Tbh. I REALLY love how they come out. I'm going to get them colored in a bit.

Ozoneocean at 8:10PM, April 14, 2021
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
This comes exactly as I'm writing the character I came up with back then into a new comic. Coincidence perhaps, but I prefer to think precognition is another vaccine side effect.
No, we routinely read your mind. It's a big help to managing the site in general :)

Happy you're listening to the Quackcast ^_^
kawaiidaigakusei at 12:09AM, April 20, 2021
(online)
Is today a holiday for anyone on here? I remember being abroad in a few places where people celebrated today very publicly. It also coincides with a lot of other days, some sad, some notorious.

As a whole world, we need a day where everyone can just chill out.

Cheers, Ducks!
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Andreas_Helixfinger at 12:42AM, April 20, 2021
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Is today a holiday for anyone on here? I remember being abroad in a few places where people celebrated today very publicly. It also coincides with a lot of other days, some sad, some notorious.

As a whole world, we need a day where everyone can just chill out.

Cheers, Ducks!

Indeed. Things lately, at least for me, has kind of just been bad news, upon bad news, upon bad news. For the last month I've sort of been stuck in this relentless aura of dread, making me feel incredibly stressed and agitated over the slightest thing.

Its kind of why, I think, I've been more vocal then usual on the DD newsfeed and the forums lately. Seeking more attention, unpacking more then necessary. I tried posting a reply to the forum thread that also happens to be the subject of today's Quackcast, did so twice, only to realize that both times it was kind of supurflous stuff that didn't really contribute much to the discussion, which is why I deleted it soon afterwards.

But recently, this last sunday, I took a walk around a forest area I' haven't been in for a while because of nearby construction blocking the usual walkpath. It was a very, very long, sunny walk around the whole thing and back home that took several hours to complete, and I sort of taught myself during this walk to instead of wrestling with this dread I've been feeling for so long, making it even worse doing so, how about I just allow myself to just get weak for a moment.

Go down with that feeling instead of fighting it, giving it a chance to settle and thus allow myself to begin to calm down. And now I must say. It actually helped. I feel like I'm much better at absorbing that dread now, and I feel much more calm, much more positive and much more productive as a result.

Sometimes the only thing you can do is to allow yourself to become vulnerable and treat that feeling like its no less natural to you then any other emotion you feel. It can frankly be the best kind of healing you can perform on yourself in times like these. Go with it, not against it. At least that's been my experience lately^^

Cheers!
last edited on April 22, 2021 12:56AM
bravo1102 at 12:54AM, April 20, 2021
(offline)
Had to take a week off. It was a use it or lose it. Home all week and puttered around with the comic. Set up a realistic goal of 9-10 pages of script rather than finishing it. I have a buffer through the end of May but why not?

Had up to page four on Friday. Saturday got a HUGE headache so was in bed most of the day. So it was down to the last minute on Sunday and I got it done.

FIDO Fuck it, drive on.
Froggtreecomics at 5:17PM, April 25, 2021
(offline)
So, my computer died and took all my comic stuff with it. Unless I become a computer genius and stuff in the next few days, I wonder if it would be beyond the pale for the world to just imagine a bunch of really amazing comics for a while and we can pretend I did em. Alternatively I am gonna poke it with a stick and hope for a miracle.
bravo1102 at 12:44AM, April 26, 2021
(offline)
Backup everything and backup the backup.

Something I had feared lost forever that I had looked everywhere for, for several years, showed up in a box I didn't know I had. But my memory was good. It was the box I remembered putting the stuff in. Just I had totally forgotten I had moved the box to another room that was outside the search area.

So I found it! Now to find the other stuff I moved more recently–
Ozoneocean at 6:30AM, April 27, 2021
(online)
Froggtreecomics wrote:
So, my computer died and took all my comic stuff with it. Unless I become a computer genius and stuff in the next few days, I wonder if it would be beyond the pale for the world to just imagine a bunch of really amazing comics for a while and we can pretend I did em. Alternatively I am gonna poke it with a stick and hope for a miracle.
It depends how it does but you have options:
take the hard drives out and put them in a hard drive enclosure hooked up to another computer and read them that way
-enclosers are cheap, just get one that fits your kind of drive. A computer repair place will be able to do it for you.

You can also put the drives into another computer and read them that way.

If the drives are wiped there are recoverey programs available online that can get the files back. Jast ask Ironscarf.
usedbooks at 6:48AM, April 27, 2021
(online)
Sigh. My cat Zenigata is having surgery Thursday. Last year, he had all his molars and premolars removed. Thursday, he's losing the rest of his teeth.

He has stomatitis, which essentially means he's allergic to his teeth (technically, it's a reaction to plaque, but it can become an autoimmune condition). We tried all kinds of oral and injection options, but he didn't respond to them. The surgery last year was very effective, afterwards he has no inflammation at all in the back of his mouth. In many cats, it clears up the condition entirely, but Zen still has inflammation around his incisors, so now they need to go.

The condition is usually discovered in older cats when they stop eating or start drooling and having issues, but a Facebook friend noticed Zen's inflammation in a photo last year, so I immediately mobilized. The condition can be part of FIV or Feline Leukemia. He was tested twice to rule that out. He's two years old.
Froggtreecomics at 1:50PM, April 27, 2021
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
Froggtreecomics wrote:
It depends how it does but you have options:
take the hard drives out and put them in a hard drive enclosure hooked up to another computer and read them that way
-enclosers are cheap, just get one that fits your kind of drive. A computer repair place will be able to do it for you.

You can also put the drives into another computer and read them that way.

If the drives are wiped there are recoverey programs available online that can get the files back. Jast ask Ironscarf.

I managed to get it running in safe mode for long enough to copy my comic junk! But, I'm afraid the machine itself will have to be consigned to Davy Jones's locker :S
Ironscarf at 5:42PM, April 27, 2021
(offline)
Froggtreecomics wrote:

I managed to get it running in safe mode for long enough to copy my comic junk! But, I'm afraid the machine itself will have to be consigned to Davy Jones's locker :S

That's great news! As much as I enjoy your comics, I don't think I'm capable of imagining them for myself. It would be like Gordon the Gopher standing in for Basil Brush.
(And Ozone definitely saved my posterior when the local repair shop told me there was nothing left on my hard drive)
last edited on April 27, 2021 5:43PM
Froggtreecomics at 9:18AM, April 30, 2021
(offline)
That's great news! As much as I enjoy your comics, I don't think I'm capable of imagining them for myself. It would be like Gordon the Gopher standing in for Basil Brush.
(And Ozone definitely saved my posterior when the local repair shop told me there was nothing left on my hard drive)

I found a gordon the gopher puppet in the cupboard the other day.
/WEIRDFLEX
usedbooks at 9:22AM, May 1, 2021
(online)
My cat failed his blood test. Both in the way he failed last year (had to have a sample sent to Cornell to analyze) and in a different way. Drawing blood created a huge bruise, which added to my vet's concern, so his surgery was postponed until this coming Thursday (following a new round of antibiotics and painkillers).

My cat keeps sending my vet into research and consultation with other professionals. At this point he needs to lose those teeth, including the big canine teeth, which could be a bleeding risk, and he won't clot normally, so… I dunno. But I am very stressed about this.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon