Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2021! General Discussion Thread
Ozoneocean at 9:38PM, Sept. 3, 2021
(online)
The page organisation feature is LIVE now!
lothar at 5:25AM, Sept. 7, 2021
(offline)
holy sh!t ! i just tried it … thats pretty coool m
Ozoneocean at 7:47PM, Sept. 7, 2021
(online)
lothar wrote:
holy sh!t ! i just tried it … thats pretty coool m
Thanks man!
Ironscarf at 7:19AM, Sept. 8, 2021
(offline)
I used it to reorganise all my pages and put them back in the right order easy as can be. No more fancy jigsaw puzzles for me.
Ozoneocean at 8:30PM, Sept. 16, 2021
(online)
So quiet here haha! What are you all doing?

Well I've broken up with my ex again… We may get together again… I don't know. I still love her but we're not really getting on.
lothar at 4:39PM, Sept. 20, 2021
(offline)
This place is wayyy to quiet.
It's like we are all drifting away in space. The communication lag time gets longer and longer.

Genejoke at 12:32AM, Sept. 21, 2021
(online)
Yup the feature works great, has made life a hell of a lot easier when inserting pages when I have a four month buffer.

In other news I've made some lifestyle changes lately, have given up smoking, that's proving a challenge but progress is being made. My diet has changed, less processed crap and fewer carbs and the weight seems to be dropping a bit. Had some dental surgery, that was unpleasant as teeth did NOT want to come out. They gave me all the anaesthetic they could and it still hurt. One in particular… the nerve pain as they ripped it out. UGH!

Next up is surgery for cubital tunnel syndrome, not looking forward to the recovery period as I won't be able to do much with my right hand for weeks.
After healing they will do the other hand.

Then if I shift some weight and surgeon feels it's safe I might finally be able to have spinal surgery next year.
Banes at 6:34PM, Sept. 22, 2021
(offline)
Good on you, Genejoke! Kudos for making those efforts. Best of luck on the surgeries too ✅

Ozoneocean at 9:47PM, Sept. 22, 2021
(online)
Yeah, kudos GJ! That's huge!
Facing pain and challenges like that is pretty damn hard.

@Lothar- Exactly! We're all off exploring the solar system. Time dilation is getting longer and longer…

————

I'm still on and off with my ex. Just taking things as they go :)
I love her a lot
Ironscarf at 8:24AM, Sept. 23, 2021
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:

In other news I've made some lifestyle changes lately, have given up smoking, that's proving a challenge but progress is being made.

That's a tough one. I wanted to give up for years but couldn't get the motivation. What finally did it was running out of money and cigarettes at the same time, so it was either hold up the corner shop or go cold turkey. Well done for tackling all of those issues.
Ozoneocean at 10:00AM, Sept. 23, 2021
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
Genejoke wrote:

In other news I've made some lifestyle changes lately, have given up smoking, that's proving a challenge but progress is being made.

That's a tough one. I wanted to give up for years but couldn't get the motivation. What finally did it was running out of money and cigarettes at the same time, so it was either hold up the corner shop or go cold turkey. Well done for tackling all of those issues.

Good on you both. It's so hard to do.

———-

My ex is having trouble with alcoholism again. I finally realised that was the entirety of her issues. She's great when she doesn't drink…
But when she does, try and suggest it's a problem and you're “gas-lighting” or “manipulative” or a “narcissist” - which I finally realised was a way of avoiding the issue and saying it was someone else's fault rather than actually accepting it and dealing with it.
lothar at 4:34PM, Sept. 23, 2021
(offline)
Some people turn psycho when they drink. I don't know about your situation but I know some people are just kind of holding back the rage when they are sober and alcohol just gives them an excuse to let loose the demons.I had to cut her out of my life after she tried to kill me.
Ozoneocean at 9:20PM, Sept. 23, 2021
(online)
lothar wrote:
Some people turn psycho when they drink. I don't know about your situation but I know some people are just kind of holding back the rage when they are sober and alcohol just gives them an excuse to let loose the demons.I had to cut her out of my life after she tried to kill me.
There's definitely an aspect of that. It lowers the inhibitions and lets the madness flow… All the anger, petty slights, any and all impulses are acted on.
She's usually got enough control not to get physical though.

I'm really sorry that happened to you man.
lothar at 4:42PM, Oct. 14, 2021
(offline)
It's crazy How this year is almost over. Like time is going faster. So much I wanna do but I have to spend my time doing crap I don't like
kawaiidaigakusei at 9:20PM, Oct. 15, 2021
(online)
lothar wrote:
It's crazy How this year is almost over. Like time is going faster. So much I wanna do but I have to spend my time doing crap I don't like

Hi Lothar,

Advice given to me when I was a high school freshman, twenty years ago—

1. Do what you Need to do.
2. Do what you Want.
3. Do nothing else.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Avart at 10:02PM, Oct. 16, 2021
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
lothar wrote:

Hi Lothar,

Advice given to me when I was a high school freshman, twenty years ago—

1. Do what you Need to do.
2. Do what you Want.
3. Do nothing else.

@Kawaii, best advice ever ;)
legacy at 9:59AM, Oct. 18, 2021
(online)
Not sure where else to put this… long-time lurker. Trying to figure out what happened to the Geminni comic/comic creator? Noticed that it was deleted a couple weeks ago and I didn't know if there was a reason or not.
Ozoneocean at 6:14PM, Oct. 18, 2021
(online)
legacy wrote:
Not sure where else to put this… long-time lurker. Trying to figure out what happened to the Geminni comic/comic creator? Noticed that it was deleted a couple weeks ago and I didn't know if there was a reason or not.
They're moved their comic to the Webtoon app, it's on their bio:
https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/user/kaleygeminni/

Pretty shitty since they've been with us so long, especially to put it exclusively on a lame copycat site like Webtoons exclsively… but it's their work and they can do what they want with it.
lothar at 3:56AM, Oct. 19, 2021
(offline)
Was that Kyupol's comic?
Ironscarf at 4:32AM, Oct. 19, 2021
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:

Pretty shitty since they've been with us so long, especially to put it exclusively on a lame copycat site like Webtoons exclsively… but it's their work and they can do what they want with it.

I could understand that if they were tied into Webtoon's exclusivity deal and getting paid by the man, but that doesn't look to be the case.
Ozoneocean at 8:18PM, Oct. 24, 2021
(online)
@Scarf: True
lothar wrote:
Was that Kyupol's comic?
Nope. Kyupol's was called Brood Knight Shattered Hate. aka BK Shattered Hate
He also had a few more:
BK Shadow Nemesis
BK CLASSICS
Combatron Space Warrior
MAG ISA
PATAWA

:)
Ironscarf at 3:51PM, Nov. 2, 2021
(offline)
I am trapped in Middle Earth* with no Tablet and no scanner, hence no updates. So frustrating.

(also known as the Midlands).
usedbooks at 10:13AM, Nov. 3, 2021
(online)
In honor of my last day of work (seasonal job), I added a new member to my household.

Her name is Dax. She'll be ten weeks old Friday.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 9:48AM, Nov. 4, 2021
(offline)
She's absolutely adorable<3 I'm sure she'll be a very happy dog in your household, Vickie.
usedbooks at 3:48PM, Nov. 4, 2021
(online)
Andreas_Helixfinger wrote:
She's absolutely adorable<3 I'm sure she'll be a very happy dog in your household, Vickie.
Thank you! She's fitting in very well. She's going to the vet tomorrow for vaccinations.
Ozoneocean at 7:07PM, Nov. 9, 2021
(online)
Nice little tiny doggy :)

————–

My cat Mouse catches and eats a lot of big rats.
His sister Esk is physically smaller and more timid, she's always been terrible at hunting. In the last few nights though she's been coming in proudly bearing her prey:
Big fat squashed beetles.
A wriggling detached lizard tail.
And he other day a live and totally uninjured mouse!

And ACTUAL mouse. I was shocked. And so was her brother (called Mouse), who went to investigate.

Esk was of course going to let it go so it would run free in the house. She just doesn't know what she's doing. As soon as I realised this I ran over to them to take care of the situation. I saw the mouse lying on its side perfectly still with its eyes closed, so I told Mouse to take care of it…
But then I had a second thought and picked it up by its tail.
As I thought the stupid thing was playing dead. It had no injuries.

Playing dead will stop cats or dogs pouncing and playing but it won't stop them eating you unfortunately, and that was what was about to happen.

So instead I took it with me outside and down the street and let it go in the tall grass of a vacant lot.
Gunwallace at 2:07PM, Nov. 12, 2021
(offline)
One of our cats, Batman Fishcat (we let a 4-year old name him) once bought in a rabbit. Completely unharmed. He carried it in by the scruff of the neck like it was a kitten. It was rather large, about 2/3 his size, and he's a big cat. It was obviously (once) someone's pet rabbit, judging by the breed. I rang up one of our neighbours who has many animals of various kinds, and sure enough their rabbit had gone missing. He came over to collect it, but it wasn't their rabbit. Too big. He took it home anyway, and it stayed around an became their new pet. My kids have never forgiven me for giving away the rabbit, and I'm not sure Batman Fishcat has either.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Ozoneocean at 6:43PM, Nov. 18, 2021
(online)
Batman Fishcat is probably what a cat would call itself I think.
Has to be pretty strong to lug a live rabbit! I used to have various rabbits. One would always escape… A couple of times I had to climb back over the neighbour's fence carrying a big struggling, madly kicking bunny in one arm, using the other to pull myself up tree branches and over the high fence. Such a naughty rabbit.

————

I'm trying a neeeew… DD Fashion Spotlight as the Friday newspost format.
I pick characters or a character from a webcomic on DD and talk about their fashion. We have soooo many comics and characters here it's inexhaustible! Plus it's a great way to promote comics without all the restrictions that a feature has: the comic doesn't need a good story, it doesn't need to have more that 15 pages, be recently updates and it can be adult rated.
Ozoneocean at 6:58PM, Nov. 18, 2021
(online)
Stupid Facebook interaction, Fashion related…

There was an image posted of a women in the mid 19th century having a giant crinoline hoop skirt put on her. I recognised it from a satirical series of photos that was designed to make fun of the trend for big dresses by exaggerating the size and the palaver involved in putting them on. I commented as much because most of the people commenting were ignorant of history and thought it depicted the real thing.
Letting misconceptions slip like that is toxic.

One person replied to me basically saying “nuh-uh! They were too that big, you're a MAN so you can't know”
I commented in a rather snooty way that her motivated reasoning and cognitive bias made her gullible to what she wanted to be true.

She commented back saying that I was “mansplaining” to her and that she is the director of costume and design for somewhere or other and then went on to post 3 photos of recreations of mid 18th century dresses with side panniers as proof.

I'm offended that is moron got a job as a director for costume and design when they can't tell the massive differences between styles separated by over 100 years!!!!
Her depth of abject ignorance to think that a gigantic oversized circular crinoline cage skirt from the mid 19th century is ANYTHING like the narrow side panniers of the 18th century is extremely sad and pathetic. Different look, only wide at the sides and not all the way around, extremely different construction, smaller dresses, and 100 years difference…

Forgiveable for a person who has the most basic, superficial idea of history, absolutely unforgivable for a person that claims to have authority on the subject and uses the term “mansplain”. I'm embarrassed for her and whoever has to deal with her.
last edited on Nov. 18, 2021 6:59PM
bravo1102 at 12:48AM, Nov. 19, 2021
(offline)
She's a costume director not an historian. Recreating period clothing is one little but of studying, let alone understanding a period. It's like having blinders on, so focused on the details of one thing in one time that miss the rest of the historic development of the clothing and it's context.

She knows only appearances not context. Like someone who knows all the uniforms of the SS but understands nothing of who they were and what they did. There was a Recent blow up on history Twitter over someone claiming that the Holocaust has no place in WW2 history while at the same time promoting a new history of one of the more Infamous SS panzer divisions that committed several massacres of civilians and prisoners of war.
last edited on Nov. 19, 2021 2:29AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon