Comic Talk and General Discussion *

A "comfortable" buffer.
Furwerk studio at 7:32PM, May 19, 2021
(offline)
When doing a storied comic I prefer to have at least a full year's worth of comics (about fifty-two pages or more if possible) before official launch, honestly this way I have an easier time keeping the schedule.

The gag stuff is just whenever it strikes me because of it's in the moment nature of them.

So, what do you consider a comfortable buffer for your comic if you have one?

hushicho at 10:42PM, May 19, 2021
(offline)
In my webcomics tutorial video, I said two months worth of comics is usually the minimum anyone should have before they get started posting it, and I stick by that!

But usually, I personally prefer to have at least a year's worth of buffer before I post anything. That way, if I end up not really being as into the comic as I thought I would be later, I can at least have a year worth of fun for the audience. It also gives me a year to get up some can-do to do more work and continue the comic, which has been a huge help in some cases. And it is a really nice buffer, in case anything happens to distract or interfere with its production. In this day and age, that's very valuable!

I currently have over three years worth of comics of the most recent work I'm doing, and I still need to post it. Soon! The time has just not been right. But I've been prompted by uncommon inspiration to do more with it, so that has helped.
♥*♡∞:。.。 Official Site 。.。:∞♡*♥
Call Me Tom at 11:54PM, May 19, 2021
(offline)
Well I feel like crap now. I have no buffer because without the need to get things done by a certain time I'm really good at talking myself out of making pages. Then because I have infinite time I have no excuse not to make every page perfect and let's be honest I'm at the top of my game when I achieve mediocre.
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
bravo1102 at 12:50AM, May 20, 2021
(offline)
There are several factors involved in figuring out a buffer. It's all a matter of schedule and planning. How often will the comic update? How long does it take to do a page? Do you anticipate any RL difficulties or opportunities? Have you allowed for friction?

In building this buffer are you just procrastinating?

There's waiting for everything to be perfect, every page, buffer all filled up– wait want a little more – little more – not yet. Almost– and it never happens. The proper buffer goal has become another way to never get it done. Be realistic. Be pragmatic and know yourself and your habits.

Make a realistic update schedule based on your work habits and goals. You might be someone who needs deadlines and pressure to get things done. So having a modest buffer will keep you going. But allow for friction. Plan for the unforeseen. So give yourself a couple of months. Because they can fly away very quickly especially if you get distracted.

I've done the two months only to see it disappear time and again. I've done week to week and made it work with a tight work schedule and cracking the whip.

And once I waited for everything to be completed before posting a single page. I really hadn't needed to do it, but it was a good way to assess and improve my work habits.

Everything comes back to the placard on my First Sergeant's desk: Proper planning prevents piss poor performance.
usedbooks at 5:08PM, May 20, 2021
(online)
When I have a buffer, I instantly eat through it rather than staying ahead of it. So, I don't do buffers any more.

I like it better that way because feedback from my few but much appreciated readers helps me gauge whether the story is clear and progressing at the right pace. I can modify my scripts and insert or lengthen scenes to help clarify when needed.
dpat57 at 11:33PM, May 20, 2021
(offline)
I have a *story* buffer in that I know what's coming next and where it's all going. I don't have a *comic pages* buffer. That's a personal preference, not an essential thing that must be accumulated in vast quantities before posting. It's perfectly fine to post pages as you make 'em.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 1:23AM, May 21, 2021
(offline)
dpat57 wrote:
I have a *story* buffer in that I know what's coming next and where it's all going. I don't have a *comic pages* buffer. That's a personal preference, not an essential thing that must be accumulated in vast quantities before posting. It's perfectly fine to post pages as you make 'em.

That pretty much sums up how I go around it right there. I started out with about a two months buffer on Molly Lusc, but that one ran out quickly. Ever since I haven't bothered to make another buffer, partially because I'm too impatient. Whenever I finnish a page I just have to upload it right away.

But also because it buys me time to work out my scripts, which always have new ideas and new elements added to them. I figure that the writing is where I'm going to excel in anyway, so I might as well work ahead on that first and foremost.
bravo1102 at 5:35AM, May 21, 2021
(offline)
dpat57 wrote:
I have a *story* buffer in that I know what's coming next and where it's all going.

I have a script library “story buffer” that'll last me for decades yet. That's why I try to get far ahead on the actual pages so I can produce one of them while the buffer runs its course.

Did that with Attack of the Robofemoids into Mask of the Aryans and that into Battle of the Robofemoids and so on. I had a continuous run of currently updating comics for a few years. It was all scheduling that kept the production continuous, though there was a lot of self doubt in there as the comics built an audience.

Even worked breaks in there to work on my other hobbies.

Though a couple of times there was more than one comic updating, production was always sequential and not jumping back and forth. I know my work habits well enough to know I can't do that. Though there is space for little things like Drunk Duck awards pages and group projects. In fact, the my efforts in the last DD Awards show segued right into the current Belle's Best run. Love it when a plan comes together.
last edited on May 21, 2021 5:44AM
usedbooks at 5:27PM, May 21, 2021
(online)
dpat57 wrote:
My scripts are literal years ahead of my pages. I continue editing and revising them all the way to eleventh hour (and beyond).
L.C.Stein at 12:02AM, May 22, 2021
(offline)
dpat57 wrote:

Same here! I have ideas for weekly comics that I keep in a notebook. Unfortunately I do not have a drawing buffer, but I should since drawing takes up SO much time.

I do a short strip each week, but I think if I was doing a longer-form type comic I would want to have more of a buffer.
MegaRdaniels at 7:20AM, May 23, 2021
(online)
Whenever my issues are almost done, I always plan ahead and start creating buffers… at least 30 pages worth.
fallopiancrusader at 10:01AM, May 23, 2021
(offline)
I have no buffer. I have frequently tried to build up a buffer, but then a client will call with an aggressive deadline, and I would burn through my buffer pretty quickly. As I say in my author’s comments, “when the client says ‘jump!’ ya gotta jump!” The best I can do is give an estimate of when the next page might be posting, but that usually gets exceeded as well.
theRedDeath at 7:40AM, May 24, 2021
(online)
I've got a buffer of around 10 pages, more or less depending on how much time I've had that week.

Script wise is a little trickier. I don't really write scripts for each page, I do my comics in a weird one-man-Marvel-style, where I plan general outline, draw thumbnails, then do the art, then add the actual dialogue in last. I've got about 33 chapters of general outline planned as of right now.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon