Comic Talk and General Discussion *

And this is why we can't have anything nice
bravo1102 at 3:33AM, Sept. 7, 2022
(offline)
Way back in the early ‘aughts around 2004 or so I brainstormed a word for the alien created indestructible laser wielding battle women created by aliens from abducted human females. It was Robofemoids. Robo-for robot, fem for female and -oid from androids.
The comic first went up on a action figure forum in 2006. It premiered here two years later. The shortened form “femoid” was always implied by the storyline and used a few times in discussions before the 2015 Video short “Femoid ” came out in 2015.
I had nothing to do with that though wouldn’t surprise me if the creator there read one of the Robofemoids comics.
Incels started using femoid as a derogatory term for women around the same time it coming into its own in 2017.
Someone on reddit was surprised to find the term femoid on the web way back on 2007-2010 which was the original run of Attack_of_the_Robofemoids .

Guess they didn't look hard enough. But now in seeing how “femoid” has taken off and become a derogatory insult used by incels I'm not sure if I can still use the term I created without getting lumped in with them.

However the term was always meant to be demeaning and reducing women to mere objects to the point where the original Robofemoids were faceless though stripped to the waist. The fact that the term was created as part of a satire may deflect some blame, but we all know how humorless some people are these days.

I'll probably own up to it and insist it was stolen from what was intended to be a bad sci-fi movie franchise sloof and the characters who created them could be seen as a twisted interpretation of incels. Might even give the comics a boost that the term has been appropriated. Probably was someone who glanced at the comic. After all great flashes of inspiration only happen once and it's not like several people come up with same idea in different places around the same time. This isn't the wheel or wagons this is a science fiction webcomic for Sagan's sake. (Trying out a new secular swearing convention. Taking Carl Sagan's name in vain)

And I do have all the original files going back to the original outlines of 2004 so I can back up my claims.

So where do I go to claim my webcomic inspired the word and that everyone should read it and revel in it's satirical mediocrity?

Genejoke at 3:46AM, Sept. 7, 2022
(online)
That's would make for an… interesting claim to fame. I'd say fuck incels but I guess that's what they desperately want.

I think incel is an inaccurate term anyway. If you sit in your bedroom avoiding actual social interaction and hurl abuse at woman online and generally act like a sexist douche nozzle then your celibacy is in fact voluntary.

You have so many comics featuring femoids so don't delete or change it. It's your creation, just try not to become an incel icon in the meantime.
bravo1102 at 6:45AM, Sept. 7, 2022
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
That's would make for an… interesting claim to fame. I'd say fuck incels but I guess that's what they desperately want.

I think incel is an inaccurate term anyway. If you sit in your bedroom avoiding actual social interaction and hurl abuse at woman online and generally act like a sexist douche nozzle then your celibacy is in fact voluntary.

You have so many comics featuring femoids so don't delete or change it. It's your creation, just try not to become an incel icon in the meantime.

Definitely agree. I was in a similar situation in the pre internet eighties but realized that I was the problem, not all women everywhere.

Female humans actually respond positively to being treated with consideration and compassion. Who'd have thought?

Makes me a very unlikely choice for an incel idol. Could use the Japanese word Otaku or a Neet which does include the preference of 2D females to the real thing but hardly the virulent misogyny and pantophobia.
last edited on Sept. 7, 2022 6:47AM
Ironscarf at 8:11AM, Sept. 7, 2022
(offline)
100% agree with Genejoke on this. You are the inventor of the Femoids, whilst simultaneuosly having taken a shower and spoken to a woman in the same day. If in doubt, perhaps throw in a bit of lore somewhere about how the Femoids wiped out the Incelibots and nobody much minded.

I'm kind of glad that I never used my idea for a feminist folk group in my comic though. A sort of British version of Pussy Riot who were in the news at the time, I think the idea was sound but I took inspiration for the name from The Proclaimers. In retrospect, I don't think The Femmesplainers would have had quite the meaning I hoped for.
bravo1102 at 3:43PM, Sept. 7, 2022
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
100% agree with Genejoke on this. … If in doubt, perhaps throw in a bit of lore somewhere about how the Femoids wiped out the Incelibots and nobody much minded.
It's in development. Tentatively titled Conquest of the Robofemoids
kawaiidaigakusei at 4:06PM, Sept. 7, 2022
(online)
@bravo1102- Your name will go down in Internet history (on theDuck) as “The Father of Robofemoids”

===

I have thought about this topic a bit since the advent of real, life-size Robofemoids will most likely take the world by storm in the next five years (similar to the iPod)—

The only way a Robo(Mal)oid would EVEN be a desirable purchase (upwards of >$6,000) would be if it could read books BETTER than Teddy Ruxpin AND looked hotter than Teddy Ruxpin.

A robot that can read well > An illiterate robot

( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
memo333 at 7:36AM, Nov. 23, 2023
(offline)
so….they stole your idea__??..

thats what all this fuzz is about>?

All my stuff here: https://linktr.ee/memo333
bravo1102 at 3:36AM, Nov. 24, 2023
(offline)
memo333 wrote:

I coined a word and someone took it and twisted the meaning. Over time it has become even more clear the “femoid” was my invention way back in the day. It appears no where until my comic.
Tantz_Aerine at 7:22AM, Nov. 24, 2023
(online)
I agree with Genejoke's take. I'd suggest you also perhaps add a little extra link where you explain it all. Readers should know who stole femoids from who.
Othosmops at 2:18PM, Nov. 24, 2023
(offline)
Tantz_Aerine wrote:
I agree with Genejoke's take. I'd suggest you also perhaps add a little extra link where you explain it all. Readers should know who stole femoids from who.

Yes, and Bravo1102 should also emphasize that in his, i.e. the original narrative, those Incels who would have been subjected to the same treatment as the Robofemoids would not have become glorious Robomasculinids, but corpses.
So much about the superior status of men.
Othosmops at 2:27PM, Nov. 24, 2023
(offline)
memo333 wrote:

They have compromised the central concept of a work that has been developed over decades.
It happens from time to time that popular idiots appropriate terms that are actually helpful and drag them through the mud in such a way that they can no longer be used with a clear conscience. This is always annoying and bitter.
But in the case of Bravo's comics, it's a real mega-spoiler.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon