Comic Talk and General Discussion *

ALCOHOL
lothar at 5:06AM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
Yall remember this place was DRUNK duck at one time ?
is it bad to talk about alchohol here ?

anywya , I have been drinking quite a bit since my breakupo. I was wondering whats you poison or are you a teatotallitarian ?
I prefer whiskey or taquila. but here in Jpan Whiskey is wayyyy cheaper . you can get a 4 liter bottle for about 17 bucks american thats a bout 2500 yen. the exchange rate sucks right now.

whats your thoughts on the beverages?
Ironscarf at 5:43AM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
Four litres of whiskey for seventeen dollars? I'd be doing the highland fling if I could get it for that price! Being British I often drink gin & tonic, with a lime wedge rather than a slice of lemon, but I also enjoy brandy, whiskey, vodka and tequila, plus all manner of liquours, wines, beers and ales. Apologies to any I've missed.

If I remember correctly the Drunk was removed for the benefit of potential advertisers. They should get out more. Cheers!
dragonsong12 at 8:55AM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
“Alcohol, my permanent accessory.
Alcohol, a party-time necessity.
Alcohol, alternative to feeling like yourself.
Oh, alcohol, I still drink to your health.”

BNL - Alcohol

…but seriously it's fine. I'm not super into drinking myself, but I don't hate it or think it's evil or anything. I'm just sort of indifferent, haha! But hey! If it brings you joy, or even just comfort then that's reason enough.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 10:16AM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
Very much like my home country I have quite a history with alcohol. I've mellowed out with the years, but I still drink whenever I'm offered the spirits at my parents house out in the country or buying for myself from Systembolaget (Transl. “The System Company”) - being our goverment-owned chain of liquor-stores up here - after a hard week at work.

We're typically a vodka or brännvin type of drinking culture when it comes to the stronger stuff (like our slavic speaking neighbours, the russians and the polish, we scandinavians love potatoes and particularly love booze distilled from potatoes), but I personally prefer whiskey (scotch or bourbon, I like em' both) or rum (preferably dark rum), though I do drink brännvin too when it's offered me.

I also enjoy strong beers, cider and wine (in fact I have a personal, annual tradition of drinking a whole bag-in-box wine on ascension thursday and the days that follows. Not for any religous reason, my excuse simply being "Jesus drank wine, so I should drink some wine too, giving my cheers to the Jesus in heaven where I'm sure he's drinking with me:P). I used to be into absinth after I brought some with me home from my trip to Gran Canaria, though not so much of that these days. I did try out mead some months back, you know the wine made from honey that my ancestors was so in love with - and the ancient chinese before them if I'm not mistaken - and I gotta tell you it's one hell of a sugary sweet drink. I could never drink mead regularly that's for sure.

And being swedish you tend to especially drink around november when the nordic winter gloom starts to eat away at your soul, usually a bag-in-box of wine (which I think I might be sub-consciously yearning for at this moment8P).

To the youths in our country it's practically a right of passage to drink any kind of alcohol they can get their hands on. In Sweden the legal age to have sex is 15 years old, but the legal age to buy booze from a liquor store, or from anyone else, is 20 years old. So that should tell you how strict we are when it comes to alcohol in this country. As I said, we have quite a history with it.

By the way, just because I feel like it, here's a song dedicated to Alcohol by swedish troubadour Lars Demian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cejj7k4h4EA
last edited on Nov. 3, 2022 7:22PM
Ironscarf at 12:29PM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
Andreas_Helixfinger wrote:

or rum

How could I forget rum, one of my all time favourites! My Grandfather used to drink Lemon Hart rum, which I don't think you can get anymore. My Father in Law drank Wray & Nephews, which you definitely can.

Your link turned up Video Not Available for me by the way.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 12:42PM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:

How could I forget rum, one of my all time favourites! My Grandfather used to drink Lemon Hart rum, which I don't think you can get anymore. My Father in Law drank Wray & Nephews, which you definitely can.

Your link turned up Video Not Available for me by the way.

Dammit! It was like the perfect song ever to be dedicated to both the wonders and blunders of alcohol. But, yeah, rum is a jolly good beverage when you wanna feel like a pirate, yo-ho^^ I recently found out that rum and Julmust is a pretty good mixed drink, about as good as with coca-cola. Also I really dig baltic dark beer. Haven't done much Guiness (that dry stout that the irish are really in to) or any stout in general for that matter, but I do find the flavour interesting.
last edited on Nov. 3, 2022 1:08PM
dpat57 at 1:19PM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
I worked in a bar for 2 years and tried every drink they had, and they had a long, long gantry full of bottles. Never found an alcoholic drink I liked the taste of, or that didn't repel me on smell alone. Maybe I'm just a sensitive snowflake, dunno.
Ironscarf at 1:59PM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
dpat57 wrote:
Maybe I'm just a sensitive snowflake, dunno.

Absolutely not. People who don't drink alcohol are worth their weight in gold, especially if they drive a car!

Seriously though, nobody should feel compelled
to drink the stuff if they don't enjoy it. You wouldn't harangue a grown person for not liking parsnips and they do a lot less damage than alcohol.
lothar at 4:36PM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
Not drinking does have it's advantages. I woke up this morning on the floor under my desk. That usually doesn't happen if I'm not drinking.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 6:39PM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
No nasty hangovers. No vomiting. No blackouts waking up in your bed after a night out with no idea how the hell you even made it home, which I've had happen to me a number of times in the past. No accidently pissing off that Finnish dude that offered you booze at his place and then taking forever to find his baseball bat as you quite calmly tie your shoes, say goodbye and leave, both of us drunk out of our minds (that memory still feels like someone's weird comedy scetch everytime I think about it).

From the sober end of the spectrum, sitting on the bus on my way home seeing some partying boys and girls coming aboard, one girl who had too much to drink vomiting in the middle of the bus and then sitting and crying in the back of the bus as one of her female friends tries to calm her down. Yeah, I'm quite happy that I've gone easy with the spirits over the years:P In fact, thinking about that now might be enough to make me skip out on that wineXP
last edited on Nov. 3, 2022 6:56PM
Unka John at 9:14PM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
I knew a man who came out of a blackout at a wedding. He asked who got married. They informed him that it was he.

Now, I'm not saying drinking is bad, but any substance that can lead to matrimony must be handled with care.
Ozoneocean at 9:56PM, Nov. 3, 2022
(online)
I get migraines a lot so I don't like anything that causes similar nightmarish pain and discomfort XD
Plus, being in a relationship where my partner had a problem with it made me reallllly not like getting drunk.
I like the buzz though occasionally.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon