Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Show off recent art you are proud of.
sleeping_gorilla at 1:03PM, Nov. 3, 2022
(offline)
Show off recent art you are proud of. Limit 3 per day.

McCavity, doomed rogue from Hellhounds. To keep themselves out of hell they hunt down other bad guys.

Anderson Pope from Hellhounds. Serial killer for Satan.

Honesy Abe vs Amos the Talented. I have not illustrated this yet.
last edited on Nov. 3, 2022 1:15PM
dragonsong12 at 11:36AM, Nov. 4, 2022
(offline)
I really love the angles and energy of your work! Like, that first image feels really powerful and the second give me a sense of foreboding because of the low angle. And the fact that the grayscale doesn't get muddy and gives the image a lot of depth is just really fantastic!
You have every right to be proud of these!

For me, “proud” is a bit of a strong statement, haha. But sometimes I find stuff I like. Neither of these is “recent” but the fact that I made them a little while ago and still kinda like them means a lot:

Just an image of fall inspired by “Over the Garden Wall”:

And this is a design for an upcoming character in one of my comics (it involved a lot of back and forth and designing and tweaking, so that's why I'm still pleased with it):
Genejoke at 5:31PM, Nov. 4, 2022
(online)
Something a bit different for me, both being cartoony and hand drawn.

sleeping_gorilla at 9:22PM, Feb. 9, 2023
(offline)

fallopiancrusader at 7:18AM, Feb. 10, 2023
(offline)
And now, for something that has nothing to do with any of my comics!
Surf's up!

Live to ride, ride to live!
last edited on Feb. 10, 2023 7:25AM
usedbooks at 10:53AM, Feb. 11, 2023
(online)
I'm pretty proud of the last couple title pages for my short story project.

sleeping_gorilla at 9:55PM, Feb. 12, 2023
(offline)
@fallopiancrusader Those have a ton of energy. I have always liked your art.

@usedbooks Simple but expressive and interesting.

I did some fan art of Jubilee.
Gumshoecomix at 10:58PM, March 29, 2023
(offline)
arspitzer at 10:12AM, March 31, 2023
(online)
Grenadine Luncher in an upcoming Ripping Off King Arthur strip!

Othosmops at 12:10AM, April 6, 2023
(offline)
Wow, so much impressive action here! Here comes something different: Nothing's going on here.

J_Scarbrough at 8:46AM, May 3, 2023
(offline)
While this actually isn't too recent, this was something that I did that basically commented on what the current state of character design in western animation has basically been reduced to for the past decade or two. . . .

Hoo boy, did I get flack on Twitter for this!

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
dpat57 at 1:21PM, May 3, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Hoo boy, did I get flack on Twitter for this!
If I wrote PUNCH ME on my forehead in marker pen, I would not be totally surprised if people punched me.
J_Scarbrough at 2:16PM, May 3, 2023
(offline)
I mean, I wasn't really on Twitter that much anyway, but even so, I wasn't looking to start anything, just expressing some commentary of mine . . . which I eventually learned you're apparently not allowed to do on Twitter, which is why I finally just gave up on the platform and left (even before Elon Musk took over and fucked things up): nobody on Twitter wants to engage in any kind of discourse unless it's to start flame wars over unpopular opinions - another time I dealt with this was when I tweeted that there are loads of other far more established, influential, groundbreaking, and trailblazing female artists in music history who could and should be named the greatest female artist of all time instead of Taylor Swift.

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 6:16PM, May 3, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
was when I tweeted that there are loads of other far more established, influential, groundbreaking, and trailblazing female artists in music history who could and should be named the greatest female artist of all time instead of Taylor Swift.
They attacked you because of that?
Whoa… Twitter users really tend to be mainly a bunch of proverbial cultural goldfish: swimming in a massive school, all following the same thing (even when they disagree with each other politically), with no memory of anything beyond the moment.

-Yes I know that's a memory myth about goldfish but it's a cultural expression

Taylor Swift isn't even close to “ground breaking” or “trailblazing” and her influence is debatable and minimal.
J_Scarbrough at 7:13PM, May 3, 2023
(offline)
Tell me about it! Her music is terrible anyway! It's all the same: she hooks up with a guy, they date for a while, they break up, she writes and sings about what a loser he is for dumping her because she was the greatest thing he ever had, arbitrarily throw in at least one “damn” and/or “hell” to sound edgy, lather, rinse, repeat. Not to mention what a narcissistic little POS she is.

Seriously. Aretha Franklin? Diana Ross? Stevie Nicks? Janis Joplin? Carly Simon? Tina Turner? Cher? You're telling me Taylor Shit is better than these musical pioneers? Puh-lease! But yeah, I had a bunch of angry Swifties basically lynch me for that, lol.

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 11:47PM, May 3, 2023
(offline)
The folks on Twitter may be cultural goldfish but whenever slighted they become a pool of piranha and relentlessly attack.

I came late to that thread after the piranha had fed. Heck, what about Lady Gaga? Don't see Taylor Swift doing standards with Tony Bennett. Mobilize the Little Monsters and the Swifties usually run away.
Ozoneocean at 7:01AM, May 4, 2023
(online)
It's probably the pretty woman thing: She's super pretty so they ascribe to her all sorts of other talents and abilities- or at least when she does something they magnify the importance of that thing because of the prettiness.

Like Marylin Monroe or Princess Diana. They're both super mega Uber goddesses who loved the world and did everything… when in reality one was just an actor who got famous for playing a ditz and one was a minor aristocrat who married into royalty, divorced out of it with millions of dollars and then lived the lived it up around he world as a super rich woman.
She did all the same charity stuff as any other royal but in her case because she was pretty apparently she meant it more than the ones with horsey faces XD

Anyway, I'm sure swift has some ok music, but I have no time for modern stuff.
fallopiancrusader at 1:30PM, May 4, 2023
(offline)
A panel from the next page of Tusk. Somewhat inspired by a painting by Rudolf von Alt
last edited on May 4, 2023 1:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon