Tips and Tricks/Support

DD Suggestions Thread
HippieVan at 9:57AM, March 12, 2015
(online)
posts: 3,003
joined: 3-15-2008
It will probably be a million years before any suggestions are implemented, but feel free to post them here anyways!
Here are a few that I grabbed from older threads: 
- Fix the bugs (duh)
- Bring back the HTML editor
- Allow Project Wonderful ads
- Improve comic search function - allow filtering by number of pages
- A spot on the front page for community projects
- Improve forums (especially quotes)
- Only allow comics above a certain number of pages in Quail's Random
- Notifications for PQs
- DD mobile app
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on March 12, 2015 10:34AM
Luccia at 9:36PM, Sept. 2, 2015
(online)
posts: 124
joined: 3-24-2010
What really bothers me about Quail's Random is not the number of pages, but the year of the last update. I've come across a few stellar looking comics that haven't been updated since let's say 2009. 6 years, I get convinced that they are probably not coming back.  
irrevenant at 4:39PM, Sept. 19, 2015
(online)
posts: 779
joined: 1-13-2007
I'm actually going to disagree with this. I've found some great gems this way.  A good comic that hasn't been updated since 2009 is still a good comic. Especially if it stopped updating because it's completed. 
What might be useful is the ability to see in the popup summary whether a comic is Ongoing,  Completed or On hiatus (probably defined as not having updated in 6 months) .  That would help readers choose for themselves whether or not to read a particular random comic. 
(If the On hiatus thing is too controversial, maybe just include the ‘last updated’ date and let the reader decide whether it's ongoing or on hiatus. A ‘completed’ flag would be especially important in that case). 
Luccia wrote:
What really bothers me about Quail's Random is not the number of pages, but the year of the last update. I've come across a few stellar looking comics that haven't been updated since let's say 2009. 6 years, I get convinced that they are probably not coming back.  
HippieVan at 10:39AM, Sept. 20, 2015
(online)
posts: 3,003
joined: 3-15-2008
irrevenant wrote:
What might be useful is the ability to see in the popup summary whether a comic is Ongoing,  Completed or On hiatus (probably defined as not having updated in 6 months) .  That would help readers choose for themselves whether or not to read a particular random comic. 
  
That's actually a really good idea! Regardless of whether people are using Quail's random or just looking for comics elsewhere, that could be really useful.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
irrevenant at 7:12PM, Jan. 26, 2016
(online)
posts: 779
joined: 1-13-2007
Couple of new suggestions:
- Fix the way the Duck handles logged out access to adult comics. ie. If I'm logged out and I click on an adult comic, and it warns me that it's an adult comic and I need to log in, so I login… please then send me to the comic I was originally trying to open! This is especially annoying if, like me, you tend to open half a dozen items of interest in new tabs, then look at them - and they're all just login screens that don't take you to your comic.  
- allow comics wider than 950 pixels and make the page html flexible enough to handle that. (I think that's the reason for the restriction. If it's more about keeping filesizes down, a filesize cap would be better.)
Neither of these are top-tier bugs, but it would be great if they could be added to the list and fixed at some point. 
last edited on Jan. 26, 2016 7:14PM
Banes at 8:07PM, Feb. 8, 2016
(online)
posts: 453
joined: 8-13-2008
I'd love to see the timed release feature come back. To have a new page show up on the front page and in peoples' favorites list, the thing has to be updated manually at about 3:00 am where I am. I don't think this has been addressed in the first round of fixes.


Another one is comic ranking. Not to be seen by the public (other than the search feature, which I think will rank comics from most popular down); but I loved that feature on the old site, to see whether I was ranked 17,844th or 17,84-eleventh!
ashtree house at 11:34AM, Feb. 9, 2016
(offline)
posts: 123
joined: 1-15-2015
I was thinking, maybe an easier way to check recently updated comics, like ones that got bumped off the list? Unless there is a way I haven't figured out, I have to like go to comics>select all>choose last update>today. Might be easier to have a “more” option under the recently updated and then list all of today's updates in order, in case someone misses it in the time frame the comic is shown on the update list. That way I don't miss any brand new comics too :3
irrevenant at 1:44PM, Feb. 9, 2016
(online)
posts: 779
joined: 1-13-2007
ashtree house wrote:
I was thinking, maybe an easier way to check recently updated comics, like ones that got bumped off the list? Unless there is a way I haven't figured out, I have to like go to comics>select all>choose last update>today. Might be easier to have a “more” option under the recently updated and then list all of today's updates in order, in case someone misses it in the time frame the comic is shown on the update list. That way I don't miss any brand new comics too :3
Oh wow, so very seconded!

Maybe an arrow like for featured comics? I see no reason not to add one to top ten and random, too. That would be a huge improvement.
last edited on Feb. 9, 2016 2:44PM
irrevenant at 2:46PM, Feb. 9, 2016
(online)
posts: 779
joined: 1-13-2007
BTW, has any thought been put into setting up a Patreon for The Duck? That could help a bit with the fundraising on a more ongoing basis.

EDIT: Just noticed from a newspost in March 2015 that it's already on the cards. How's that going? I'd throw in a little bit each month.

EDIT2: Yup, found that other thread shortly after posting here.
last edited on Feb. 9, 2016 6:05PM
HippieVan at 4:13PM, Feb. 9, 2016
(online)
posts: 3,003
joined: 3-15-2008
irrevenant wrote:
BTW, has any thought been put into setting up a Patreon for The Duck? That could help a bit with the fundraising on a more ongoing basis.

EDIT: Just noticed from a newspost in March 2015 that it's already on the cards. How's that going? I'd throw in a little bit each month.

Just posted in that other thread! We haven't discussed it recently because we did other things (PW ads and indiegogo) but it's still a possibility.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
HippieVan at 4:28PM, Feb. 9, 2016
(online)
posts: 3,003
joined: 3-15-2008
Also, I've just made up a form where you can submit your suggestions! I've tried to keep track of all suggestions made on DD and elsewhere, but this is the ‘official’ way to submit your idea, if you will. It will be launched officially on Friday, but I figured those of you who are contributing in this thread might want to take advantage of it.

http://goo.gl/forms/K6vgUqAjmD
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
irrevenant at 6:14PM, Feb. 9, 2016
(online)
posts: 779
joined: 1-13-2007
Would it be a good idea to set up something like Bugzilla or would that be overkill?
C Cheng at 6:33AM, June 11, 2016
(online)
posts: 4
joined: 6-10-2016
Is it possible to upload multiple pictures on one “page” and have them follow one after the other when published? I'm new here and I have a long strip style comic ready to show others! I don't plan on uploading a hundred pictures at once, more like two or three so that that particular scene can flow better. Is this possible for Drunk Duck?
HippieVan at 7:31AM, June 11, 2016
(online)
posts: 3,003
joined: 3-15-2008
C Cheng wrote:
Is it possible to upload multiple pictures on one “page” and have them follow one after the other when published? I'm new here and I have a long strip style comic ready to show others! I don't plan on uploading a hundred pictures at once, more like two or three so that that particular scene can flow better. Is this possible for Drunk Duck?

Multiple image files one after the other, you mean? No, that's not possible unfortunately. Sorry about that! My suggestion would probably be to edit the images together if it's necessary that they appear that way.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
C Cheng at 9:07AM, June 11, 2016
(online)
posts: 4
joined: 6-10-2016
@HippieVan thank you! Hopefully the 20MB will be able to hold the pages :)
irrevenant at 4:04AM, June 20, 2016
(online)
posts: 779
joined: 1-13-2007
When you set pages to upload at a future date they're immediately visible to you as owner.

Woild it be possible to have an obvious visual indicator on those pages that they're not actually live? It scared the bejeebuz out of me! O_o I thought it had all gone live!
ozoneocean at 8:49PM, June 21, 2016
(online)
posts: 26,908
joined: 1-2-2004
Goo idea!
 
Avart at 9:39AM, March 3, 2017
(offline)
posts: 23
joined: 2-19-2017
Hi! I was wondering if there's a way to receive “notifications” when somebody likes your comic, or when somebody writes on your comic forum. Also, when you add a comic to favorites notify the author that his/her comic has faved. I think that “like” and “favorite” needs to be recognized as a different kind of reward.
I know that the PQ serve as a way to stay in touch with someone, but for new users (like me) this is a little complicated since I don't know much authors yet.

Thanks!
ozoneocean at 11:03PM, March 5, 2017
(online)
posts: 26,908
joined: 1-2-2004
When we work out how to get funding that's the next thing we want to have; notifications for everything!
 
AmeliaP at 10:23PM, Aug. 20, 2017
(online)
posts: 6
joined: 7-25-2017
Is there a kind of notification when someone comments on our comic and vice-versa? It's easy to track back and answer the comments, but after the 30th page, the things got pretty hard to track back. I tried to find if there is this resource here, but I couldn't find it.
ozoneocean at 3:27AM, Aug. 21, 2017
(online)
posts: 26,908
joined: 1-2-2004
AmeliaP wrote:
Is there a kind of notification when someone comments on our comic and vice-versa? It's easy to track back and answer the comments, but after the 30th page, the things got pretty hard to track back. I tried to find if there is this resource here, but I couldn't find it.
Not yet. That's a feature we want to introduce on the next upgrade when we can afford to pay a programmer. It should probably work like the one at Deviant art, but better.
 
Evil Dog at 2:42PM, June 3, 2018
(online)
posts: 1
joined: 2-5-2009
Is there any plans to implement HTTPS in the Duck?
there are a couple of services that will give you a TLS cert
the reasoning would be mostly for login security
ozoneocean at 7:18PM, June 5, 2018
(online)
posts: 26,908
joined: 1-2-2004
Evil Dog wrote:
Is there any plans to implement HTTPS in the Duck?
there are a couple of services that will give you a TLS cert
the reasoning would be mostly for login security
I'll ask our programmer about it.

Google and other browsers are making a big deal about HTTPS but on this site it's pretty unnecessary… we don't collect any sensitive information or connect with any sites that do (facebook, twitter etc)
 
LuchaCoffee at 6:58PM, June 19, 2018
(online)
posts: 329
joined: 4-24-2007
Is there a way to edit usernames?

I've decided to change mine to something a bit nicer but no way for me to be able to :C
I like my horror films like I love my burgers…Full of Cheese!!

ozoneocean at 9:31PM, June 19, 2018
(online)
posts: 26,908
joined: 1-2-2004
sux wrote:
Is there a way to edit usernames?

I've decided to change mine to something a bit nicer but no way for me to be able to :C
I can do it, what do you want?
 
KimLuster at 12:46PM, June 20, 2018
(online)
posts: 782
joined: 5-15-2012
Ha, I might want mine changed too… I've had lots of regrets in making my UserName the same as my main character… But I've been here so many years now… Kinda seems little point now, not to mention might add confusion to my posts and comments
ozoneocean at 6:12PM, June 20, 2018
(online)
posts: 26,908
joined: 1-2-2004
You can still do it if you want though ^_^
 
Draconis381 at 9:07PM, Aug. 8, 2018
(online)
posts: 1
joined: 10-22-2007
I usually come to the site once a day, or every other Day. I click on the My Favorites link on the side bar and watch the List of Comics open up… to an alphabetized list. I always switch it to “Last update” so I can see whats new. I would imagine most people do the same. I know it doesn't take a lot of time or effort to switch it each time, but it would be nice if the default was for last update instead of sorted by title. In short, my suggestion is:

- Change the default display order for your favorites list to last update.
Or,
- Give the user the option of setting the default display order to Title or Last Update.
last edited on Aug. 8, 2018 9:08PM
ozoneocean at 9:21PM, Aug. 8, 2018
(online)
posts: 26,908
joined: 1-2-2004
Draconis381 wrote:
I usually come to the site once a day, or every other Day. I click on the My Favorites link on the side bar and watch the List of Comics open up… to an alphabetized list. I always switch it to “Last update” so I can see whats new. I would imagine most people do the same. I know it doesn't take a lot of time or effort to switch it each time, but it would be nice if the default was for last update instead of sorted by title. In short, my suggestion is:

- Change the default display order for your favorites list to last update.
Or,
- Give the user the option of setting the default display order to Title or Last Update.
Oh I agree 100%!
It was a moronic idea to have it by alphabetic order and there's no reason for it.
We'll certainly have that changed when we can
 

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Google+