Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2022! General Discussion Thread
Ironscarf at 7:39AM, Nov. 22, 2022
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:

You'd think Hallmark channel would get on it and do Valentine's Day in Minnesota with twelve feet of snow.

Are they the ones who make all those Christmas movies, where the guy/girl gets stuck in some small town where everyone is obsessed with Christmas, but Christmas won't be Christmas anymore because of X,Y or Z, but they end up falling in love and together they save Christmas against all the odds and then they stay forever in Christmas town? They choke me up every time.

bravo1102 at 8:32AM, Nov. 22, 2022
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:

You'd think Hallmark channel would get on it and do Valentine's Day in Minnesota with twelve feet of snow.

Are they the ones who make all those Christmas movies, where the guy/girl gets stuck in some small town where everyone is obsessed with Christmas, but Christmas won't be Christmas anymore because of X,Y or Z, but they end up falling in love and together they save Christmas against all the odds and then they stay forever in Christmas town? They choke me up every time.

Yes. That is one of their stock plots. They have a selection of formulas. In fact, they did a contest where they had entertainment writers choose a stock plot and do a script with a suggested cast. At least one ended up being made. Pure formula but some really transcend the genre.

The movie industry knows a good thing. They've only been doing formula pictures for certain audiences for 110 years or so.
dpat57 at 12:11PM, Nov. 22, 2022
(offline)
The no-nonsense lady exec who sneers at the little town's batty inhabitants and can't wait to sell her inherited property (ruining everybody's Xmas) and move back to the city, but then she meets the handsome local log cutter and learns the true value of tinsel. I love those.
Ironscarf at 12:32PM, Nov. 22, 2022
(offline)
dpat57 wrote:
The no-nonsense lady exec who sneers at the little town's batty inhabitants and can't wait to sell her inherited property (ruining everybody's Xmas) and move back to the city, but then she meets the handsome local log cutter and learns the true value of tinsel. I love those.

And the local log cutter lost his wife three years back in a tragic local log cutting accident, so he's selling up and moving his daughter to the city so they won't be haunted by memories, but the little girl is heartbroken cos she only wants to sing in the Christmas pageant, like her poor mom always did and the no nonsense exec lady realises she doesn't want to be an exec lady after all, she wants to be the little girls new mom and open a local Christmas bauble store. I really love those.
Ozoneocean at 8:55PM, Nov. 22, 2022
(online)
AND HE HAS A DOG AND A BEAT UP OLD PICK-UP TRUCK!

He HAS to.

It is required and mandatory that he has those two things in order to be a proper son of the earth in rural America.
bravo1102 at 12:01AM, Nov. 23, 2022
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
AND HE HAS A DOG AND A BEAT UP OLD PICK-UP TRUCK!

He HAS to.

It is required and mandatory that he has those two things in order to be a proper son of the earth in rural America.

Unless he's the victim of a country western song and his pick up was repossessed and his dog got run over. Or maybe both were taken by the girl that broke his heart. Pretty much anybody can write one of these things.
dpat57 at 11:04AM, Nov. 23, 2022
(offline)
His beloved Tesla pickup truck dun up and left him, but he's still got his old guitar, and when the scheduled band can't make it to the pageant because of the sudden snowstorm, it's his time to shine. They thought he was a deadbeat loser until he played the opening bars of JOLENE. His daughter loves him again.
Ozoneocean at 6:57PM, Nov. 23, 2022
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Unless he's the victim of a country western song and his pick up was repossessed and his dog got run over. Or maybe both were taken by the girl that broke his heart. Pretty much anybody can write one of these things.
Nope. There's no crossover with country songs because those are aimed at guys and these are aimed and women. So the dog and pickup are constants. ^_^
dpat57 wrote:
His beloved Tesla pickup truck dun up and left him, but he's still got his old guitar, and when the scheduled band can't make it to the pageant because of the sudden snowstorm, it's his time to shine. They thought he was a deadbeat loser until he played the opening bars of JOLENE. His daughter loves him again.
This is a forbidden fan-fiction and therefore it has to include at least one vampire, werewolf, billionaire bondage dom, or pregnant Sonic. XD
kawaiidaigakusei at 3:50PM, Nov. 24, 2022
(online)
ThrisbyDude wrote:
No turkey or honeybaked turkey slices this time. It's all gourmet fried chicken this Thanksgiving for me and my family. ((leans back on office chair in delight))

Happy Thanksgiving, ThrisbyDude. :)
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Ozoneocean at 7:19PM, Nov. 24, 2022
(online)
Happy Turkey time to the USA people :)

————-

Isn't it one of the weirdest pieces of irony that anyone who claims to be an “empath” is the exact opposite of the meaning of that word?
It could be used as the definition of “Irony” actually.

They claim to be sensitive to people's feelings and to know exactly what they're feeling.
But in my experience and the experience of people I've talked to about them, what they actually do is TELL people what those people are feeling and then take actions based on their own invented idea of the person's mental-state/pain or whatever else they claim to intuit with their fake powers of empathy. XD

Never, ever trust an “empath”.
J_Scarbrough at 8:22PM, Nov. 24, 2022
(offline)
Am I the only one in the world who never feels sleepy after eating turkey?

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
Ozoneocean at 8:41PM, Nov. 24, 2022
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Am I the only one in the world who never feels sleepy after eating turkey?
No one is answering you because they're ALL asleep! XD

I'm in Australia so I didn't eat any. ^_^
J_Scarbrough at 8:43PM, Nov. 24, 2022
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
No one is answering you because they're ALL asleep! XD

Joseph Scarbrough
J_Scarbrough at 10:21PM, Nov. 24, 2022
(offline)
Y'know, maybe I'm just being a snob about this, but I feel as though Anime Ace has become the most overused word balloon font in both professional and amateur comics over the past decade or so. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad font at all, and I can understand why it's so widely used (mainly because it's one of the few word balloon fonts that's free), but it's become so prominent and so prevalent in comics that it's become ubiquitous.

I am, however, a snob when it comes to the letter U in word balloon fonts: I very much hate those letter Us that look like lopsided letter Vs having sex with uncrossed letter Is.

Joseph Scarbrough
dpat57 at 3:02AM, Nov. 25, 2022
(offline)
When I started making webcomics lo those many years ago, I picked Anime Ace 2.0 because it was closest to my own hand lettering. I had no idea everyone would be so impressed by my comics that they would use it, too!

J_Scarbrough wrote:
Y'know, maybe I'm just being a snob about this, but I feel as though Anime Ace has become the most overused word balloon font in both professional and amateur comics over the past decade or so. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad font at all, and I can understand why it's so widely used (mainly because it's one of the few word balloon fonts that's free), but it's become so prominent and so prevalent in comics that it's become ubiquitous.
bravo1102 at 3:52AM, Nov. 25, 2022
(offline)
Never anime ace. Use zud juice. More expressive and it was El Cid's font of choice and he really knew how to pop dialogue. Actually knew how to pop a lot of things.
My own handwriting is illegible and I've never been able to find anything to match its drunken schizophrenic scrawl.

There might be few free balloon fonts now, but it wasn't always like that. Winkie, balloon, zud juice, komika (huge family there) were all free. Pig Iron cost money but that was a loooooong time ago. Seiber space and bazooka are good effects fonts.

In fact just did a search of free comic fonts and one site had 20+ pages of fonts. But then I'm a font collector. Once slowed a computer to a crawl by installing too many fonts back when RAM was still measured in MB.

But then the weakest of all weakest parts of my comics is the lettering. Just get lazy with the balloons and kerning. Did a pile of on line tutorials and just ignore everything I should have learned.
last edited on Nov. 25, 2022 4:14AM
Ironscarf at 4:21AM, Nov. 25, 2022
(offline)
Anime Ace is a quality font, which might explain it's popularity over most free fonts, but also quite distinctive. I definitely register it as Anime Ace when I see it, but I'm probably more obsessive over lettering and dialogue fonts than most. These days I create the balloons and start lettering before doing any serious drawing and keep tweaking them until it's time to post.
bravo1102 at 4:38AM, Nov. 25, 2022
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
Anime Ace is a quality font,
And everything else is crap so welcome to crappy. We know how these things work. The “in” crowd uses it and is popular and Beautiful and everything else is not Scottish so it's crap.

Ironscarf at 4:49AM, Nov. 25, 2022
(offline)
I'd say all of the free fonts available at Blambot are quality fonts. Some have more options than others, but Anime Ace seems to be the most widely adopted. I don't know why that is, but ‘Anime’ in the title has at least something to do with it.
J_Scarbrough at 8:39AM, Nov. 25, 2022
(offline)
I at least thankful that my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription has licenses to use certain selected fonts from both Comicraft and Blambot, because there have been some fonts that I've liked to use that aren't necessarily just the same freebies we see over and over again. I'm kind of partial to Meanwhile myself - it's got that combination of a handwritten look, while also still appearing somewhat “clean” and legible that I tend to prefer in a word balloon font.

dpat57 wrote:
When I started making webcomics lo those many years ago, I picked Anime Ace 2.0 because it was closest to my own hand lettering.
Neat! My handwriting has always been terrible, even as a kid when I would make homemade comics and did everything by hand (even the coloring with pencils), the lettering was also so terrible, you could barely read it. Being able to use actual fonts was a big step-up in the game for me.

bravo1102 wrote:
Never anime ace. Use zud juice.
Way back when I started lettering digitally, I used Zud Juice, because it was free, but I honestly never really care for it that much - I was never really sure why, but I just didn't. I remember just to try something different, I tried another freebie I believe was called SundayComix, and while I liked it only marginally better than Zud Juice, there were still some things I didn't like about it both from an artistic and a technical perspective: artistically because it looked too “clean,” like it really looked nothing like a handwritten font because the letters and characters were just too neat for any human to write themselves; technically because it was kind of a glitchy font - you couldn't use apostrophes, because it would always substitute quotation marks for some reason, and it lacked the Crossbar I technology, so all Is were uncrossed, even when used for first-person pronouns.

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 9:00AM, Nov. 25, 2022
(offline)
When you've taught and graded papers you'll find the kid whose hand writing matches every particular “handwritten” font in existence. Like I said my handwriting is a schizophrenic drunken scribble that changes and morphs constantly. You should see the handwritten daily reports at my job. 🤣🤣

I switch fonts comic to comic. I've done ten so have done lots of experimentation. I just keep coming back to zud juice for basic dialogue. I'll probably even download anime ace and test it.

The best font in the world won't save an awful comic.

Bad is bad. Whether the lettering is perfect or a scribble or the most popular font ever. No-one ever praised and read an otherwise awful comic just for its great balloons and lettering.
Ozoneocean at 9:11AM, Nov. 25, 2022
(online)
I use my own handwriting for Bottomless Waitress now.
My handwriting is famously pretty horrible, but I KNOW this so I try extra hard to make it neat for the comic. It works well :)

I got tired of Anime Ace. I used it because it was the best “hand written” font at the time, closest to what they use in pro comics. I tried version 2 when that came out as well.
For Pinky TA though I now use Digital Strip because it's better than Anime Ace. Anime Ace is the “basic bitch”.
Ironscarf at 10:53AM, Nov. 25, 2022
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
I'm kind of partial to Meanwhile myself - it's got that combination of a handwritten look, while also still appearing somewhat “clean” and legible that I tend to prefer in a word balloon font.

Meanwhile was the first pro font I invested in. A good all rounder with just enough character while being as you say, very easy on the eye. Comicraft New Years day sale is a real godsend for those of us who haven't ascended to the cloud.
bravo1102 at 11:12AM, Nov. 25, 2022
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:

For Pinky TA though I now use Digital Strip because it's better than Anime Ace. Anime Ace is the “basic bitch”.

I used it on one of the Belinda Brandon movies in Belle's Best. So many fonts, so little time.

dpat57 at 12:28PM, Nov. 25, 2022
(offline)
I gaze longingly at Comicraft fonts as if through a Victorian sweetie shop window, always wrestling with that terrible decision: do I buy groceries this month, or a Comicraft font?
Ironscarf wrote:
Comicraft New Years day sale is a real godsend for those of us who haven't ascended to the cloud.
kawaiidaigakusei at 5:11PM, Nov. 25, 2022
(online)
ThrisbyDude wrote:
Three letters and one word: VTC Letterer. That is all.
>Nah, not really all.<

When it comes to text in speech bubbles, I always use the font I mentioned above, unless I add different colors or text inside those bubbles. Now for projects' titles on a cover page, I hand-draw the text and use {free} fonts depending if they work well together.

I looked up VTC Letterer, it is not bad.

I am partial to anything in the “Architect” family of fonts. AutoDesk has a good copyright on an Architect typeface, “Flux Architect Font” is a nice alternative.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
J_Scarbrough at 5:52PM, Nov. 25, 2022
(offline)
VTC Sunday Komix! That was the font that I used for a while! Yeah, like I said, it was only marginally preferable to Zud Juice IMO, but it still wasn't 100% satisfactory since, like I said, it lacked the Crossbar I technology, and for some reason, didn't have an apostrophe, so it instead used quotation marks, which looked weird.

Come to think of it, for some reason, I think the Meanwhile font I have installed through my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription must have rolled back to a previous version, because it suddenly lacks the Crossbar I technology, even though I know they updated that in recent years.

Otherwise, I'm about to really date myself here, but I'm actually old enough to remember when Comic Sans MS used to be considered a really cool font. No, really.

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 3:23AM, Nov. 26, 2022
(offline)
All this subjective chatter is nice, but how about the experienced opinion of someone who's done multiple comics; maybe around a dozen; in different formats and genres. I'd like to hear their opinion.

Thanksgiving was listening to my twenty something nephew spout his all knowing wisdom endlessly. He knows all about narrative form because he watched the entire MCU movie run and played D&D. The uncle who's written a dozen webcomics and created over a thousand pages of content just said nothing. Wiser to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Couldn't get a word in so just nodded and listened. Listening is what I do best. Two ears and one mouth and all that and realize that when I was his age I too could hold them spellbound with my nonsensical rambling and prove myself a fool time and time again.

I should ask for one of his campaign logs and make a comic based on it. Might banish the doldrums.

last edited on Nov. 26, 2022 3:27AM
kawaiidaigakusei at 7:47AM, Nov. 26, 2022
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:

Thanksgiving was listening to my twenty something nephew spout his all knowing wisdom endlessly.

I take it, he is your favorite nephew?
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
J_Scarbrough at 10:26PM, Nov. 26, 2022
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
Like I said my handwriting is a schizophrenic drunken scribble that changes and morphs constantly.
My signature is the same way (and yes, I actually know how to sign my name, as opposed to the current generations who apparently know nothing about this, and just print their names in lieu of even knowing what a signature is): I'm honestly surprised I've never been arrested for suspicion of fraud or something, because I were to write my signature on a single piece of paper 10 times, not a single one would look like the other . . . my last name is especially hard at the B-R-O part.

Joseph Scarbrough

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon