Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2024! General Discussion Thread
bravo1102 at 4:54AM, Feb. 10, 2024
(offline)
Every time I hear that wonderful George Harrison song I find myself singing the lyrics from Weird Al's parody This Song's just Six Words Long

What can I say, I'm that kind of person. Parody and satire is just how I think.

That said I also like When We was Fab which does feature a second Beatle on it and the video was originally rumored to have a third but again that's me.
last edited on Feb. 10, 2024 4:57AM
J_Scarbrough at 8:31AM, Feb. 10, 2024
(offline)
I'm the same way whenever I hear Michael Jackson's “Beat It.”

Interestingly, because parodies are covered by the Fair Use Act, you don't need to seek permission to parody somebody else's work, however, Weird Al always does, simply because he's not an asshole like that . . . buuut, in the even that somebody expressed disinterest in having him parody their work, he will also play the Michael Jackson card just to remind them that MJ had no qualms about any of his songs being parodied; that usually changes their minds.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
Tantz_Aerine at 3:48AM, Feb. 11, 2024
(online)
Another interview is in the works! Guys consider going to the thread about questions to ask artists and post more questions! This interview set is sent to the creator but I'm going to run out and I like linking to more webcomickers in each interview in a kind of cross promotion :D
Call Me Tom at 10:39AM, Feb. 13, 2024
(offline)
Well today I was reminded that I'm a garbage human and can't figure out why I should carry on living since all I do is bring harm to others.
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
Ozoneocean at 4:18PM, Feb. 13, 2024
(online)
Call Me Tom wrote:
Well today I was reminded that I'm a garbage human and can't figure out why I should carry on living since all I do is bring harm to others.
Not this again man. :(

Look, the secret is that we ALL feel like that, but most of us have mechanisms that automatically push those feelings down and hide them from us. They only occasionally rise up and sometimes even take over.
In you case however they take over most of the time…

Please get your medication changed. That's not a psychological problem, this is a brain chemistry issue. Those feelings don't point to anything real, they are NOT a product of your thinking mind. This is your brain being messed up and sending the wrong signals to the wrong places. You NEEEEEEEED the right meds to stop that.

Nothing anyone can say or so will change your thinking till you get that mind in balance.

——————–

Back when Got My Mind Set On You came out I loved it so much I got the whole album on tape and listened to it over and over again on my walkman. I'm that old.
When We Was Fab became my fave song.
bravo1102 at 11:53PM, Feb. 13, 2024
(offline)
When We was Fab has been stuck in my head since I mentioned it here. And I don't mind one bit.
bravo1102 at 5:33AM, Feb. 14, 2024
(offline)
Call Me Tom wrote:
You're always telling us of these feelings and you needed to be reminded?

What is telling you this? Sounds like you sought validation of your own feelings and didn't stop looking until you found it. Need some reality testing to see where this is really coming from. That way even if the biochemistry is off you can disown the feelings as untrue and move on with life.

This feelings have been getting pretty intrusive in my own head lately but I know they're not true. I know my meds need adjustment but psychiatrists near me are overwhelmed and not taking new patients. See if I can get some support maybe. Sometimes just being with others can banish all my negativity.
Ozoneocean at 4:57PM, Feb. 15, 2024
(online)
Meds man, He needs those more than anything.
lothar at 2:03AM, Feb. 19, 2024
(offline)
Hey everybody…. It was a good ride.
Thanks for all the fish.

Edit, I shouldn't drunk post
last edited on Feb. 19, 2024 3:50PM
J_Scarbrough at 8:46AM, Feb. 19, 2024
(offline)
Wait, are you leaving lothar?

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 6:49PM, Feb. 19, 2024
(online)
lothar wrote:
Hey everybody…. It was a good ride.
Thanks for all the fish.

Edit, I shouldn't drunk post
What's up man?
lothar at 2:45AM, Feb. 20, 2024
(offline)
Yeah, I'll survive. thanks for asking
I found out I'm gonna be impoverished for a while longer. I thought I was almost done with that shit. Lawyers are foul serpents. By the time I ever have enough freedom to spend more time drawing the ai will be the norm.
SAD
Ozoneocean at 7:37PM, Feb. 20, 2024
(online)
lothar wrote:
Yeah, I'll survive. thanks for asking
I found out I'm gonna be impoverished for a while longer. I thought I was almost done with that shit. Lawyers are foul serpents. By the time I ever have enough freedom to spend more time drawing the ai will be the norm.
SAD
Was this about a divorce?
lothar at 10:27PM, Feb. 20, 2024
(offline)
Yeah. My legal bills are insane. I feel ripped off. Like, it's way more than they said it would be. I'm trying to figure out how to avoid losing everything I own.

SUCKS
Ozoneocean at 4:14PM, Feb. 25, 2024
(online)
lothar wrote:
Yeah. My legal bills are insane. I feel ripped off. Like, it's way more than they said it would be. I'm trying to figure out how to avoid losing everything I own.

SUCKS
That's terrible man!
I didn't picture you as the type to have been married… Was this a marriage to a Japanese woman?
J_Scarbrough at 8:44AM, Feb. 26, 2024
(offline)
DAMMIT!! It's jump up to 70 degrees again; it's not supposed to be this warm in February! FUCK CLIMATE CHANGE!!!

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 4:16PM, Feb. 26, 2024
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
DAMMIT!! It's jump up to 70 degrees again; it's not supposed to be this warm in February! FUCK CLIMATE CHANGE!!!
It's Lothar's lawyer trouble that's causing it :P
lothar at 10:46PM, Feb. 27, 2024
(offline)
You know what's a good band….. Joy division!
I'm drunk, going to work. I'm not gonna leave yet. I got shit to do.
J_Scarbrough at 5:53PM, Feb. 28, 2024
(offline)
Well, today is a sad day for me; I finally lost Adobe Fireworks - the image editing software I have been using since 2005, back when it was still a Macromedia product.

So what happened was I had to renew my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription a couple of months ago, and for whatever reason, that somehow effed up my already-existing apps that I had installed on my computer, including Fireworks and Premiere Pro CC 2018. Both were reverted to free trials for some reason, so I was able to keep using Fireworks for about a month, but now the “trial” has expired . . . I can't “buy” or “license” the app again, because it was actually discontinued several years ago in favor of Photoshop (Fireworks has always been almost identical to Photoshop, however, I've always found Fireworks to be more user-friendly) . . . and I can't install Photoshop, or even upgrade my Creative Cloud suite because my OS is outdated (I'm still using 7). At this point, I suppose all I can do is wait until I'm able to get a new computer with a more up-to-date OS, reinstall the Creative Cloud suite, and then install Photoshop and learn how to use it (I heartell from others that the latest version of Photoshop sucks ass).

So this means, until further notice, nothing new from me in terms of comics or any sort of visual contributions to DD. :(

Also, I see that Premiere Pro CC 2018 will be revert to only a 7-day trial, but I am not starting that trial until I know for absolute certain I will be able to finish a current movie project I've been working on. Granted, all of the files associated with the project are backed up, so it's not like I can't just rebuild the project from scratch on a new computer with a new version of Premiere (which I have heard the latest versions also suck ass, which is another reason I haven't upgraded since 2018, because each upgrade seems to remove more and more useful features and effects).

Before anybody suggests, yes, I've tried using GIMP before, and it's terrible: it's needlessly and unnecessarily complicated to use, and a lot of its functionality makes no sense.

Again, sad day for me.

Joseph Scarbrough
lothar at 12:18AM, Feb. 29, 2024
(offline)
I've been using PS6 since the year 2001. Sometimes Krita.
bravo1102 at 12:28AM, Feb. 29, 2024
(offline)
More than a decade ago Adobe discontinued updating Photoshop CS2 and offered it as a free download. Been using it ever since. I remember Fireworks. I had the whole Macromedia suite. Only ever used Flash though. Might even still have the discs somewhere. Don't trust clouds. Something about the wispy nature of water vapor bothers me about the whole concept.
dpat57 at 12:31AM, Feb. 29, 2024
(offline)
Sucks when you lose familiar software! Or have it taken from you by disrespecting baboons. I've been using Paint.NET since I started making comics. Everything else I've tried using seems needlessly overcomplicated by comparison.
Ozoneocean at 4:30AM, Feb. 29, 2024
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Well, today is a sad day for me; I finally lost Adobe Fireworks - the image editing software I have been using since 2005, back when it was still a Macromedia product.
I bought all the adobe CS4 stuff on DVD on ebay.
So I don't have to pay subscription. :)
There are soooome issues with stuff like Premier on Windows 11 but all the rest works great.
Genejoke at 7:18AM, March 1, 2024
(online)
I dropped adobe stuff about a year ago. actually I've dropped about everything that's subscription based. Tried Krita but wasn't keen so it was back to Gimp, which after a little adjusting to is just as good as photoshop anyway.

Suffering burnout atm, can't get on with anything creative.
J_Scarbrough at 8:33AM, March 1, 2024
(offline)
I mean, to be fair, subscription-based services do have their advantages, and in this case, for only like $30 a month, I have access to their entire Creative Cloud suite Adobe has to offer, so I can try something out without having to buy an entirely separate software, and if I don't like it, I can just uninstall it - not to mention, its easy to update to a new version without having to rebuy it, which was great with Adobe Premiere, because each new version was better than the previous version up until CC 2018 when they began doing away with certain features and effects.

The problem with installation CDs is that Adobe is completely dropping support for older versions of their apps, so if you were try to register your products from an installation CD, you probably wouldn't be able to, because the serial numbers would be expired, and Adobe wouldn't recognize what you attempted to install . . . not to mention the compatibility issues, because I still have some PC games and other software I have the installation CDs for that date back to the Windows 95 and 98 days - I could install them on my previous XP laptop just fine, but not on my current 7 laptop, because they weren't compatible.

But interestingly, as an alternative, I tried looking for an installation CD for Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018 on eBay and Amazon (as well as Fireworks CS 6), but all I can find are the instruction booklets.

Joseph Scarbrough
lothar at 5:44PM, March 1, 2024
(offline)
Serious question, as someone who has used the same copy of Photoshop for over 2 decades, what's so great about newer versions. I literally never have a situation where there's something I want to do in PS but can't.

So like, what's different in later versions?
Genejoke at 6:44PM, March 1, 2024
(online)
very little. a few improvements sure, but also more ram intensive. in fact some features may have been removed to get you to subscribe to their other apps. feature removal and forced updates are a large part of why I got rid of it. That and I worked out how much it had cost me over a decade and there being no real upside to that expense compared to what I could do with free or far cheaper software.

Obviously it depends on which features you use but for me it wasn't worth it.
J_Scarbrough at 6:45PM, March 1, 2024
(offline)
I can't speak about Photoshop specifically, and in fact, many of my fellow artist friends who use Photoshop say the latest version sucks ass, and is barely even usable. As far as Premiere is concerned, admittedly, newer versions do tend have a sleaker and cleaner layout and interface that's easier on the eyes than older versions, but the downside is that they continually remove and retire features, functions, and effects that are actually necessary and useful . . . for example, I've been told that the next version of Premiere will do away with Legacy Titles, which . . . how are you even supposed to make titles without the Legacy Title feature? Even the version of Premiere that I've been using, CC 2018, certain effects that I used regularly in previous versions, such as Auto Color, Auto Levels, Fast Color Corrector, DeNoiser, Reverb, etc. were retired, but at least they were still accessible under a folder labeled “Obsolete.”

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 6:47PM, March 1, 2024
(online)
lothar wrote:
Serious question, as someone who has used the same copy of Photoshop for over 2 decades, what's so great about newer versions. I literally never have a situation where there's something I want to do in PS but can't.

So like, what's different in later versions?
-It becomes more reliable and less likely to crash
-There are some extra options for filters and effects.
-Brushes become smoother and more varied and also give you more control.
-It uses the computer GPU and can also use much more ram so you can work on much bigger images, any effects or complex changes you do update at real time so you don't have any delays and the image is always nice and smooth on the screen and not pixelated at certain magnification.
-You can use very large brushes.
-You can rotate the image and work on it at different angles- without changing the rotation of the actual image.
-There's things like a “healing brush” added to better fix up mishaps in photos

-Newer versions now have ai tools to change stuff and add in things that aren't there like grass, or changing a scene to night. Unlike moron art theft crap like ChatGPT, Mid Journey, StableDifusion and Dal-E it's trained on paid for and copyright free source material, but you're still a lazy POS if you use it. If you need a night scene take one with your camera.
lothar at 12:26AM, March 3, 2024
(offline)
Rotation sounds cool. I think I could do without the rest, especially the ai stuff.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon