Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2024! General Discussion Thread
Ozoneocean at 6:46PM, April 7, 2024
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
Shareholders benefit, while the rest of us suffer an ever decreasing quality of life. The idea that individuals have some responsibility for this is a classic distraction technique.
Exactly. And it's primarily big business owners in the US and Europe.
One of the latest things they they're marketing is the new “green” paper XD
It's fully sustainable and doesn't hurt trees at all, Made from “stone” they say.
Except I did some very shallow digging and found it's made of plastic mixed with chalk. And can't really be recycled because low quality plastic mixed with chalk can't really be processed in 90% of places. More greenwashing to make huge profits.

I still have some old bakelite plastic around the house… The doorknobs are like glass.

J_Scarbrough wrote:
although I will admit to preferring the warmth of VHS or DVD quality
Errors caused by static are often perceived as “warmth”, but the stuff people believe about vinyl records is absolute complete bulshit XD
The true reason records came back was as a way of combating file-sharing (which was easier with CDs) and also rejuvenating small bands and record labels… Before all the massive names took it up too and made it pointless.

Back in the day when people HAD to use record players all this “warmth” myth was entirely wrapped up in valves in amps, instead of using transistors. You could literally go into a special record shop and get a $30,000 amplifier made with gold, marble, and vacuum tubes and THAT was the pinnacle of “quality” sound, compared to that just playing any old record on an ordinary turn table was considered the same thing as listing to it on FM radio, so all this modern fad and mythos around records is pure shiza XD
Even the humble cables were hundreds of dollars, they were thick and had gold and silver in them.
-So because it was mainly about the amp people thought that CDs produced the same warmth.

I really hate urban myths and how they twist kernels of truth and become so widely believed… like the idea you get a cold from being a little chilly, that you can get tetanus from any stab by metal… and so may other things lol!

bravo1102 wrote:
With all the services and streaming it's become that you find out about something you want to see? You have to go hunting for it.

True. It's actually harder to find a lot of shows and movies now than it used to be before streaming.
last edited on April 7, 2024 7:04PM
J_Scarbrough at 8:38AM, April 8, 2024
(offline)
It sounds like then that you would completely disagree with the opinion that leans towards film celluloid over digital cinematography in this video essay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNKtxGMHig

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
Ozoneocean at 9:45AM, April 8, 2024
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
It sounds like then that you would completely disagree with the opinion that leans towards film celluloid over digital cinematography in this video essay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNKtxGMHig
I don't have time to watch that now, but no. Old style film at the moment is better in the result because it's higher resolution and the colour quality is more interesting.

obviously digital is better in the actual filming process because the cameras are smaller, you're not anywhere nears as limited by how much you can film, the film processing is way cheaper, massively faster and much easier, quality cameras are cheaper, you can quickly and easily make heaps of copies of your footage so it's much safer, you can shoot in much higher frame rates so you can slow-mo any part of it.

As a practical thing in the day to day work of filming digital cameras are far better.
PaulEberhardt at 4:48AM, April 9, 2024
(offline)
No digital version will ever be quite the same as the real thing.
But they're good. Really good. Too good, that's probably it.

I know this very well from electric guitar amps. There are digital emulations of just about everything, they are much more practical than carrying around heavy equipment, and they'll always sound the same no matter where you set them up (quite unlike analogue amps, which sound a bit different every time). Still a lot of people, myself included, stick to these old bulky valve things that weigh tons and require you to constantly fiddle with the settings.
Just why? I'm afraid I haven't even got a good rationalising answer, it just feels more right, plus it's stuff I'm used to. For some quasi-masochistic reason, a stack as heavy as yourself behind you is just satisfying and trying this and that to get the sound just right is part of the ritual.

Ok, some rationalising after all, but bear in mind I know that's just what it is:
I know first-hand that when staying analogue, tube/valve amps do sound better than transistor ones. Don't ask me why, they shouldn't, but even people who have no truck with music whatsoever can hear the difference. The sound is so much clearer and more defined. Also, vacuum tubes don't burn out as easily as transistors. Then, you can actually get a decent amp for small money these days if you don't insist on fancy names like Marshall (one more for the overrated things thread), that's probably because of the digital alternatives though.
Part of the beauty of the electric guitar is that they got it all so right on first try the basic technology hasn't fundamentally changed since the 1950s. For a weak comparison: try reading a 1960s punch card with your laptop, after finding any reason to do so.

A good friend of mine who plays piano and keyboard recently told me something about a digital Hammond organ emulator that kind of says it all: Mr Hammond, back in the day, worked all his life to get rid of the characteristic click of the keys when playing, never quite succeeding. Today's software engineers apparently work just as hard at getting these very same key clicks exactly right.

We're creatures of habit, and sometimes things can be done too well for our tastes. There's an emotional component here that digital tech can't really satisfy.

On another note, I wouldn't go back to analogue photography either. Digital photography gives you way more options and a better focus too, which I wouldn't want to miss.
last edited on April 9, 2024 6:26AM
J_Scarbrough at 3:09PM, April 9, 2024
(offline)
As long as we're continuing to discuss technical aspects of various and sundry mediums like this, here's another one I have to get off my chest.

I'll admit that with modern technology, it's possible for digital to emulate the look and aesthetic of film celluloid, and it's something that I myself do thanks to a combination of camera filters and lumetri and filmstock presets in Adobe Premiere, however, I can discern a different between 24fps shot on film and 24fps shot on digital. While that type of framerate does have a cinema look regardless of how it was shot, 24fps on film looks a lot smoother and more fluid than 24fs on digital, which is choppier and has that sort of old-fashioned slow-mo look to it. My camera is definitely an example of this, which is why I never actually film with the 24p setting on my camera; instead, I film in 60p, then render and export the final production in 24fps (and I mean 24 frames per second, not 23.97, or whatever it is) - it gives the production that cinematic film look, but without the choppiness. I experimented with the same method while filming with my camera's 60i setting, but the end results come out interlaced, and even Adobe Premiere's deinterlacing doesn't always work.

Joseph Scarbrough
Ironscarf at 5:53PM, April 9, 2024
(offline)
PaulEberhardt wrote:

Ok, some rationalising after all, but bear in mind I know that's just what it is:
I know first-hand that when staying analogue, tube/valve amps do sound better than transistor ones. Don't ask me why, they shouldn't, but even people who have no truck with music whatsoever can hear the difference. The sound is so much clearer and more defined. Also, vacuum tubes don't burn out as easily as transistors. Then, you can actually get a decent amp for small money these days if you don't insist on fancy names like Marshall (one more for the overrated things thread), that's probably because of the digital alternatives though.
Part of the beauty of the electric guitar is that they got it all so right on first try the basic technology hasn't fundamentally changed since the 1950s. For a weak comparison: try reading a 1960s punch card with your laptop, after finding any reason to do so.

I'll refute all of that! It's all totally subjective. I've been playing for over forty years, never owned a valve amp and never will. Most people can only ‘hear’ the difference when they know it's a valve amp, which they know is allegedly supposed to sound better. Sound quality itself is totally subjective and there's a long list of guitarists in genres from jazz to heavy metal who prefer transistor amps for a clearer, more defined sound. The life of a vacuum tube is not subjective though - it's pretty much universally agreed that they should be replaced after a few thousand hours at best. There's no similar recommendation for silicon chips and transistors (germanium transistors sound better of course, because they are rare and expensive, don't work very well and are full of faerie dust).

I've had to play through valve amps on occasion, but never enjoyed the experience, which proves I have cloth ears and will never know anything about guitars or music! I don't want another hernia though, so I'll remain blissfully tone deaf.
Ozoneocean at 9:15PM, April 9, 2024
(online)
Yup! And vales burn out quite a bit while transistors don't.
That was one of the reasons we didn't have satellites in the old days (Arthur C Clare wrote a short about this aspect), they'd have needed astronauts to live on the, in order to change the valves all the time.

I have an old valve radio and keyboard. Neither are big but weigh SOOOOOO much… And the radio takes a while to turn on and warm up… I'm not sure if the sound is better, I think there's just a background hum to it.
PaulEberhardt at 12:23AM, April 10, 2024
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:

I'll refute all of that! It's all totally subjective. I've been playing for over forty years, never owned a valve amp and never will. Most people can only ‘hear’ the difference when they know it's a valve amp, which they know is allegedly supposed to sound better. Sound quality itself is totally subjective and there's a long list of guitarists in genres from jazz to heavy metal who prefer transistor amps for a clearer, more defined sound. The life of a vacuum tube is not subjective though - it's pretty much universally agreed that they should be replaced after a few thousand hours at best. There's no similar recommendation for silicon chips and transistors (germanium transistors sound better of course, because they are rare and expensive, don't work very well and are full of faerie dust).

I've had to play through valve amps on occasion, but never enjoyed the experience, which proves I have cloth ears and will never know anything about guitars or music! I don't want another hernia though, so I'll remain blissfully tone deaf.

Oh dear. I knew, rationalising is never a good thing…

Yes, of course it's all subjective! Should have made that clearer. Anything with the word “better” in it is completely subjective. Tastes are different, and I don't think at all anyone playing a transistor amp is hard of hearing or something. So let me rephrase this: I like the sound better, and no matter whether anyone else does or not, I don't think I'm imagining things.

No, I'm not going to start the old tube vs. transistor argument again, either! It's really nothing more than a matter of personal preference, and mine just happens to have shifted a bit towards “ye olde stuffe” a year or so ago, and I tried to figure out why, actually.

In point of fact, I used to be a stubborn transistor amp user before. My amp failed right before a gig and I felt it was time for an upgrade anyway, remembering how much I liked the sound of those stacks I'd borrowed whenever my own amp was too weak. Found one at a very cheap price, it uses valves, which had to be replaced, but it was a bargain even so, and I totally subjectively think it sounds better. Others around me do notice a difference without being told first, one of them asking me whether I had a new guitar, which I don't - that's the person who has little clue about music btw.. I came love that thing, irrational as that may be, and its sound. Doesn't mean anything else is bad. In fact, I had the other amp repaired and our singer currently uses it to add some rhythm guitar on some songs.

No hard feelings, I hope?
last edited on April 10, 2024 12:45AM
PaulEberhardt at 12:39AM, April 10, 2024
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
That was one of the reasons we didn't have satellites in the old days (Arthur C Clare wrote a short about this aspect), they'd have needed astronauts to live on the, in order to change the valves all the time.

I have an old valve radio and keyboard. Neither are big but weigh SOOOOOO much… And the radio takes a while to turn on and warm up… I'm not sure if the sound is better, I think there's just a background hum to it.

Sure, the limited lifespan of vacuum tubes is a disadvantage, but it's not that bad and while this lifespan still lasts they are in fact quite robust, against overcharging that is. A transistor burns out immediately if it overheats, a tube only after a while. Ask any old radio amateur.
This said, we wouldn't have spaceflight without transistors and ICs, but not because vacuum tubes were unreliable.
Having to replace wearing parts as part of the normal servicing would certainly cause some problems with satellites, and of course valves are bulkier and heavier and don't hold up so well against mechanical stresses like the acceleration in a rocket.

The thing to remember here is me and the band are not planning to tour Mars any time soon. I'd use emulation software too if we did. ;)

The hum can be anything, and with radios these components don't make that much of a difference, except that you probably can't run it on batteries.
Ironscarf at 3:48AM, April 10, 2024
(offline)
PaulEberhardt wrote:

No hard feelings, I hope?

Crikey no, I love to drone on about this stuff as much as any guitarist! A guitar playing friend bought his first full scale (Fender) transistor amp a while back and it conked out immediately, so he went out and got a new valve amp the next day. That's twenty years of suggesting he didn't need to drag a Fender Twin around anymore, completely wasted! He says his fingers won't do a lot of things and I'm sure it's a result of carrying that amp.

What is the comics equivalent of valves versus transistors I wonder? It used to be traditional vs digital but I rarely see that mentioned now.
Ironscarf at 3:59AM, April 10, 2024
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:

This is reminding me of that original Star Trek episode where they find themselves back on early twentieth century earth, but Spock is able to take apart an old valve radio to build a device that could project visions of the future. It burned out quite quickly of course, but the resulting image had that warmth you only get from a well used vacuum tube!
bravo1102 at 5:09AM, April 10, 2024
(offline)

This is reminding me of that original Star Trek episode where they find themselves back on early twentieth century earth, but Spock is able to take apart an old valve radio to build a device that could project visions of the future. It burned out quite quickly of course, but the resulting image had that warmth you only get from a well used vacuum tube!

“City on the edge of Forever. ”
The phrase Spock used to describe his set up was “stone knives and bearskins ”
Going to have to work that into a future story. Love doing Star Trek :TOS stuff. Writes itself.

The Arthur C. Clarke story was dramatized as a radio play. A lot of the late 1940-1950s science fiction stories were.
last edited on April 10, 2024 5:12AM
Ironscarf at 8:19AM, April 10, 2024
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:

“City on the edge of Forever. ”
The phrase Spock used to describe his set up was “stone knives and bearskins ”
Going to have to work that into a future story. Love doing Star Trek :TOS stuff. Writes itself.

Thanks Bravo, best thing Joan Collins ever did! Also one of my favourite episodes along with The Way To Eden, which most fans seem to hate. If you can't enjoy Spock taking his Vulcan Lyre to a jam session with a bunch of space hippies, I have to wonder if there's any joy in your life at all. The tone he summons from those dilithium transistors is the stuff of legend.
Ozoneocean at 6:55PM, April 10, 2024
(online)
PaulEberhardt wrote:
Anything with the word “better” in it is completely subjective.
Here is a question on the German language:
I have the impression that it's more exact than English and there's not a lot of leeway in meaning?

I'm studying it and it seems mostly as open as English, which it's very similar to, but in the past when I've talked a lot to German friends (using English), they never seemed to understand the open meanings, double meanings, triple meanings, and big leeway that a lot of English terms and sayings have.

I always put that down to them being more used to the German language and it didn't do that sort of openness as much.

What is your opinion?
Was ist Deine Meinung?
last edited on April 10, 2024 6:56PM
bravo1102 at 3:09AM, April 11, 2024
(offline)
My late impish German neighbor loved how German was full of very dry puns. Lots of homonyms in German that often rely on context for what the speaker is actually saying. But like so much in German it is very dry.
For good understanding of the German sense of humor it's good to read or see accounts of Monty Python troupe's experience doing their German TV special.
J_Scarbrough at 8:23AM, April 11, 2024
(offline)
As I understand, because of Germany's post-Hitler geopolitical landscape, German imports of HOGAN'S HEROES had to undergo a lot of drastic changes from the original version; for example, whenever the German characters like Klink, Schultz, Burkhalter, or Hochstetter give the Party Salute, instead of saying, “Heil Hitler!” they sayd, “How high is your corn?” which apparently German audiences find hilarious. They apparently also managed to invent an entirely new character who's always refered to, but never seen: Klink's sexy housekeeper who cleans his quarters naked.

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 10:26AM, April 11, 2024
(offline)
In the newer German dub of Hogan's Heroes they also added in various German regional dialects and accents for comic effect.
PaulEberhardt at 11:22AM, April 11, 2024
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
PaulEberhardt wrote:
Anything with the word “better” in it is completely subjective.
Here is a question on the German language:
I have the impression that it's more exact than English and there's not a lot of leeway in meaning?

I'm studying it and it seems mostly as open as English, which it's very similar to, but in the past when I've talked a lot to German friends (using English), they never seemed to understand the open meanings, double meanings, triple meanings, and big leeway that a lot of English terms and sayings have.

I always put that down to them being more used to the German language and it didn't do that sort of openness as much.

What is your opinion?
Was ist Deine Meinung?

Interesting question.

I think you know, Oz, but this being a forum: I grew up bilingually but spent nearly all of my life in Germany, so my major influence is German, and I make my living by teaching English at school from initial lessons right to graduation level, which will certainly have produced some quirks of its own, and it's still Easter holidays in my region. This means I might get carried away. Let's see.

I think German could actually be just as open as English, but this openness is kept down by its speakers out of habit - if that makes any sense. Your observations may also have something to do with the way Germans learn English and perhaps with practice.

There are lots of multiple meanings and usages in German, and they, as well as preferences, vary with region, age and personal background. So far so good. I'd say in theory German should be as varied and rich of nuances as British English, and I'm not even talking about the variety of dialects both have. However, there's the German attitude towards language, and I'm afraid making it clear will seem like confirming one or two German clichés (but then they do have to come from somewhere, that's always the thing about clichés). I just might exaggerate them a bit, too.

1. Germans might not always love order and precision, but it's undeniably ingrained in our culture.

2. Therefore, we can't allow our language to run it's natural course and have the Duden instead. Sure, English has its OED and Webster too but they're just commonly acknowledged reference works as they should be. The Duden, however, is the LAW. (This is an urban myth, by the way, although way too many Germans believe it. In fact, sticking to the Duden's spellings, usages and grammar is only a mandatory regulation for public service and educational facilities, and to mind that's already bad enough.)

3. If you want to come across as educated (or just want someone who does to deign to talk to you) you'll have to present yourself as a firm upholder of this law. That may or may not include unsolicited advice to strangers, depending.

4. You may not be proud of anything German, including your language, but upholding the LAW (see 3) is different. Successfully enforcing the LAW, respectively your interpretation of it, asserts your authority.
4a. Special bonus if in doing so you can successfully expose a phrase as coined by the Nazis and therefore inherently evil: your opponent's life points in conversation get instantly reduced to zero, no matter if this phrase actually stems from the Third Reich or not.

5. Whatever you picked up as a habit is right, and Germans are stubborn.

6. Or did you actually make a mistake all these years? OMG! OMG!! OMG!!!Making mistakes is shameful!!!! Only stupid people make mistakes!!!!! Don't let on and remember to check quietly later.

7. Germans have a compulsion for numbered lists (Duh!) and every proper list has seven items (Ok I made that last part up).

What does this attitude produce?

When two people use an expression differently in conversation, they will ignore the idea that the other one could mean anything that doesn't fit their own usage. If this goes on, one of them will see it as their duty to enforce the LAW, the way they're used to it. However, what you remember having learned twenty years ago is right, so the other one will enforce the LAW too. Short break. The conversation is picked up again and starts running in parallel, two train of thoughts running on two different rails, and the first one to switch tracks loses.

Much of German humour relies on creating such a situation on purpose, twisting each others' words in their mouths and so on, the drier the better. Bravo's neighbour was 100% accurate. The TV sketches of Loriot show this extremely well, too. I'll have to see if any of them got translated against his wishes - Loriot himself thought they wouldn't catch on anywhere else.

I think we Germans tend to keep each other on our toes, to the point that some people even disapprove of someone adding too much colour to their expressions. There could be more leeway, but it's kind of discouraged. One phrase one meaning, please.

On an unrelated side note: Plattdütsch is much more open. As it has to make do with less words than German, multiple meanings is the rule. Besides, it freely adopted words from languages like High German, French, English and Dutch but speakers use them as the see fit instead of what they originally meant.

On a very much related side note: If it seems like I was bashing Germans and the German language above, it was only in an affectionate way. I love them even so, even if they do get on my nerves sometimes. It's not as bad either, most of the time.

From my experience of teaching English, I'd hazard a guess that your German friends probably know more about the leeway English could potentially give them than they realise but may be reluctant to use it fully. Learning English at school used to be a pretty mechanical affair that involves learning vocabulary and grammar by heart. Combine this with what is possibly another German thing, an attitude of being afraid of making mistakes even when it doesn't really matter, and you'll get people who get to be quite good at English, too, but stick with exactly what they've learned just to be on the safe side.
These days we're trying to break that up a bit in lessons, putting more emphasis on actual use and learning by doing. It's a delicate business to put it into practice, as many students get easily overwhelmed by getting too much leeway at once. I feel it's worth it, though, even if the stricter-than-necessary framework still needs to be dusted off from time to time to make it work.

There's one more thing I've just remembered. Spoken English does much more with intonation, the way something is said. German doesn't have that, which is also why English speakers from Germany may sometimes sound a bit monotone. Nearly all the nuances in meaning in German are in the expressions themselves rather than the way you say them, which builds a habit of looking for them only there. That may make nuances in English slightly harder to pick up - and by extension harder to try.

It's cool you're studying German, Oz. It's not the easiest language to learn, but very well worth the effort. Wenn du mal irgendwas brauchst, sag einfach Bescheid. :)
PaulEberhardt at 11:30AM, April 11, 2024
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
As I understand, because of Germany's post-Hitler geopolitical landscape, German imports of HOGAN'S HEROES had to undergo a lot of drastic changes from the original version; for example, whenever the German characters like Klink, Schultz, Burkhalter, or Hochstetter give the Party Salute, instead of saying, “Heil Hitler!” they sayd, “How high is your corn?” which apparently German audiences find hilarious. They apparently also managed to invent an entirely new character who's always refered to, but never seen: Klink's sexy housekeeper who cleans his quarters naked.

Yes, I can confirm that. It's probably because the salute and the accompanying phrase are on the list of anti-constitutional symbols and illegal except for educational works, historical research and so on.
A Hitler's salute might get you a substantial fine or even up to some years in jail in Germany.
This said, using it in entertainment like a movie or TV show is usually fine, as long as it's not presented in any way that could be interpreted as positive. Could be that the TV station thought the German characters could be too nice and didn't want to run a risk.
last edited on April 11, 2024 11:31AM
bravo1102 at 11:55AM, April 11, 2024
(offline)
In English it's not so much the dictionaries that are the LAW, it's the style manuals. Do any professional writing and use terms wrong or not quite up to date and you will get slammed. That's how Kiev changed to Kyiv practically overnight. Don't know how well it's going for Turkey's transition to Turkiye among other transitions in written and spoken English going on.
It's amazing how much has changed over the decades.
J_Scarbrough at 12:04PM, April 11, 2024
(offline)
I've also heard that, similar to M*A*S*H, the UK has recently eliminated the laugh track from HOGAN'S HEROES, because they want to emphasize the show's more serious moments . . . which, honestly, were very few and far between compared to M*A*S*H.

Joseph Scarbrough
dpat57 at 2:03PM, April 11, 2024
(offline)
You may be right, but I haven't seen Hogan's Heroes on TV for decades… and can't find any streaming service that currently offers it here in the UK. I wonder if it will ever come back, and if anyone watching it will remember the German actors had fled Europe to escape the Nazis, and the actor playing LeBeau had a camp number tattooed on his arm. Passing this info on to a contemporary audience might give the series enough of a “serious” vibe without removing the laughter… which was there to mock the dumb Nazis.
J_Scarbrough wrote:
I've also heard that, similar to M*A*S*H, the UK has recently eliminated the laugh track from HOGAN'S HEROES, because they want to emphasize the show's more serious moments . . . which, honestly, were very few and far between compared to M*A*S*H.
bravo1102 at 1:21AM, April 12, 2024
(offline)
dpat57 wrote:
You may be right, but I haven't seen Hogan's Heroes on TV for decades… and can't find any streaming service that currently offers it here in the UK. I wonder if it will ever come back, and if anyone watching it will remember the German actors had fled Europe to escape the Nazis, and the actor playing LeBeau had a camp number tattooed on his arm. Passing this info on to a contemporary audience might give the series enough of a “serious” vibe without removing the laughter… which was there to mock the dumb Nazis.
J_Scarbrough wrote:
It's on Freevee through Amazon Prime. I started watching it because we've nicknamed our supervisor Major Hochstetter because he's blown up a couple of times similar to Hochstetter's “WHAT IS THIS MAN DOING HERE!?”

And of course I'm Sergeant Schultz. “I see not-HING!”
last edited on April 12, 2024 1:23AM
Ironscarf at 6:58AM, April 12, 2024
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:

I grew up watching M*A*S*H and honestly had no idea it was supposed to be a comedy show. I thought it was drama with a good dose of light hearted moments, until one season they left in the laugh track and everyone was up in arms. It felt like a completely different show and we just couldn't get our heads around it, so they took it out again for subsequent seasons.
J_Scarbrough at 8:47AM, April 12, 2024
(offline)
The producers were originally forced to include a laugh track against their will, and that was mainly because back in those days, American audiences were conditioned on hearing the sounds of laughter when watching comedy. Watching comedy is a communal experience, and in the days before television, people would see comedies in theaters, in the presences of others, and psychologically speaking, we as humans are more prone to feel comfortable laughing in the presence of others than we are all by ourselves, so for sitcoms that aren't shot in front of a live audience, that's why they would have a laugh track, to emulate the experience of watching a comedy within the company of others. M*A*S*H was technically a sitcom, and because there was so much scrunity and meddling from the network suits, they were afraid that viewing audiences wouldn't tune in if they couldn't figure out it was a comedy if it didn't have any laughter; as the years pass by, however, and the show and its staff proved themselves more and more, the network gradually eased up on the reins, so more and more they had the freedom to reduce or even eliminate the laugh track altogether as they saw fit. If M*A*S*H was made today, they probably wouldn't even have to include a laugh track at all, since, thanks to THE OFFICE, single-camera sitcoms are almost always structure in a mockumentary format now.

As for Sergeant Schultz, boy am I glad I'm no longer bigger than he was. In the past two years of my present weightloss journey, I have lost altogether a total of approximately 80 pounds. Feelin' pretty damn good about myself.

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 5:00AM, April 14, 2024
(online)
PaulEberhardt wrote:
It's cool you're studying German, Oz. It's not the easiest language to learn, but very well worth the effort. Wenn du mal irgendwas brauchst, sag einfach Bescheid. :)
Hmmmmm

No matter how much I learn it's still so terribly inadequet! :(
I knew only some of those words, but at least I can speak them with a good enough accent that google translate understands me perfectly haha!

Thankyou for the offer! ^_^
And thankyou for that amazing ouline of the use of German!!

—————–

OH DEAR I have been through the wrineger today and last night!
The lastes Windows update wreked my computer. :(

The other day I was able to fix that after a lot of tries by getting a system restor to work, but after a restart last night the update snuck in again and ruined my comp AGIAN and this time it made sure to delete the restore points LOL

And thos happened DURING our Quackcast time! Such stress!
Lucky my old laptop from 14 years ago running Windows 7 was able to go into service in seconds and handle anything I threw at it with great speed and ease. That Samsung is THE best comp I ever bought.

Banes and Tantz helped gve me advice and I was eventually have to finally wrestle the crappy Asus into safe mode- no restore points as I've said so I had to do a full reset.
I've mostly finishe reinstalling programs and hardwre and getting them all working right , siginging into accounts and stuff, but there are still some lingering issues.

Initially I thought there might be a silver lining because things that didn't work on this machine had started to work after the reset- the stylus, the fingebprint scanner etc… but the scanner stopped working after I reinstalled sme stuff so poo to that.
How can a mchone that's over 3 times the age of this one, with an OS 2 generations older work better and be more stable?
Windows 11 could be the issue or maybe Asus are just not as good computer builders as Samsung.

J_Scarbrough at 8:32AM, April 14, 2024
(offline)
That's exactly why I eventually changed my update settings to where the updates have to be manually installed by me if I choose to.

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 7:07PM, April 14, 2024
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
That's exactly why I eventually changed my update settings to where the updates have to be manually installed by me if I choose to.
I should have done that LOL!
I should probably do it now.

I will say that even though a full recovery like that is really really annoying, it's easier now than it's ever been since the comp just downloads and reinstalls Windows itself, and it keeps all your files.
Sure you have to reinstall and resetup you programs, but with the internet based ones you just sign into the accounts and all the info is restored.

The only issue I really had was getting my old Cintiq to work correctly. I had to go through a few different drivers that I had saved… and a backup of the settings that I had before I got it to work right.
Good old Photoshop CS4 and Illustrator CS4 installed off the DVDs ok and I got the settings back to how I like them.

I keep all my important stuff on multiple external drives so that was safe regardless, but would have been safe on the Laptop.

And if I couldn't have got the cintiq to work correctly I'd just continue to use my Samsung tablets.

It's not like back in 2000 when you were tied to the desk with a BIG heavy multi-thousand dollar high powered desktop PC that was the ONLY choice to properly do digital art with because you NEEDED all the power and drive space you could get back then to properly run Photoshop (which was your ONLY digital art choice), and run your big Wacom Intuos to produce high quality, high-res artwork.

Now if I want I can do that on my Samsung phone, which uses hat exact same Wacom tech.
J_Scarbrough at 12:09PM, April 17, 2024
(offline)
I couldn't log into my account this morning and started freaking out thinking that maybe I'd been banned or hacked or something, but then finally figured out that I was hitting the caps lock at the wrong times when typing my password, lol.

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 7:25PM, April 21, 2024
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
I couldn't log into my account this morning and started freaking out thinking that maybe I'd been banned or hacked or something, but then finally figured out that I was hitting the caps lock at the wrong times when typing my password, lol.
I couldn't log into my computer a while ago because my brain reversed my passcode XD

———————

There's this phenomena that when you get to a certain age you stop caring as much about current pop-culture and start focussing more on the stuff you liked as a teen/young adult.

I think this is wrongly interpreted in terms of “coolness” and knowing what the “it thing” is (Simpson's reference). Because the more I've thought about it the more I realise it's just a part of that teen/young adult desperation to fit in, it's a genetically driven instinctual imperative, a need we don't have much control over: we do everything we can to fit in during those prime breading years, partly because of the mating instinct but mainly because we're a herd species and that stuff helps with bonding.

We watch the TV shows and movies that are seen as the cool thing or that are special amongst our chosen subculture, the same with the music we like, the books we read, and the clothes we wear and anything else we're into or try like drinking, clubbing, drug taking etc.
NOT one skerrick of it has to do with coolness or style or taste, we're all just forced by our instincts to behave that way to fit in.

As older adults we're generally not affected by those drives anymore because the hormones aren't running so wild and our brains are also used to them so know what to ignore. We actually CAN have real taste and the freedom to be genuinely cool… if we so wish.
But we're also belaboured with the memories of what we got into during those formative years which is why we keep going back to that stuff we were into in out teens and YA years :)

-I thought this was a better perspective of looking at the stuff from how it's usually seen.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon