Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2017 Rant/Share/General Discussion Thread
lba at 3:10PM, June 23, 2017
(online)
I have to ask to make sure I'm not just being a total jerk, but does it drive anyone else here to border-line spitting rage if someone touches anything in their work space? Am I the only one who views their work space as something sacrosanct?

I just came back from a 2 week vacation to find my garbage can full of boxes, and that someone had gone around hanging a bunch of fly traps all over, and I cussed someone out because of it. I mean, I realize it's probably an over-reaction, but my shop has to stay perfectly clean because it's where I have to make a living and it's about the only private space I have where 90% of my life takes place, so I get really touchy when people mess with it even in the slightest. I'm just wondering if other artists and designers are the same way, or if I'm just being a total golem about it.
last edited on June 23, 2017 3:11PM
bravo1102 at 4:45PM, June 23, 2017
(offline)
lba wrote:
I have to ask to make sure I'm not just being a total jerk, but does it drive anyone else here to border-line spitting rage if someone touches anything in their work space? Am I the only one who views their work space as something sacrosanct?

I just came back from a 2 week vacation to find my garbage can full of boxes, and that someone had gone around hanging a bunch of fly traps all over, and I cussed someone out because of it. I mean, I realize it's probably an over-reaction, but my shop has to stay perfectly clean because it's where I have to make a living and it's about the only private space I have where 90% of my life takes place, so I get really touchy when people mess with it even in the slightest. I'm just wondering if other artists and designers are the same way, or if I'm just being a total golem about it.
Yes, because it takes weeks for me to find anything. So my desktop is not to be touched.
Ironscarf at 7:17PM, June 23, 2017
(offline)
I don't have a workspace, I just fit in when and where I can. My main concern is remembering not to leave my Wacom pen behind afterwards, to avoid the inevitable:

“Pen? Oh yeah, I threw it out - no ink left in it.”

D:
HippieVan at 9:37PM, June 25, 2017
(online)
I also hate people touching my workspace, but I don't have a good reason for it. My desk is always a huge mess, and I'm sure could only benefit from someone else moving things around!

I've been so absent here lately! I'm working at a history magazine right now. It's a pretty mindless job, I'm just digitizing the magazine's archive, but it's cool getting to read through and handle the issues from the 20s and 30s in particular. (It gets really boring in the 40s for whatever reason.)

Things are going well with the new bf. Although dating someone who I have proper feelings for is bringing out whole new neuroses that I didn't even know I had! So that's a lot of fun for everyone. But aside from having to curb my anxieties sometimes everything has been really lovely. He's a big goofball and ate a lime the other day to impress me.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ozoneocean at 11:46PM, June 25, 2017
(online)
Good to hear about the job and the BF Hippie :)
There's always a place for you doing news blogs if you feel like it again ^_^

I can't stand anyone messing up my work space either. At the office or at home.
Sometimes they have to have another designer do work when I'm not there and these IDIOTS always use the wrong naming convention on the files and save them flattened…
Imbeciles.

How hard can it be to name a file in the right way when all the other files, thousands and thousands of them, are all names the same way?
(That's not an OCD thing, they have to be named in the right way so they can be found later amongst those thousands of files)

And WHY flatten working art onto one layer for god's sake? All the other art reference sheet PDFs have at least 2 layers, surely that would be a clue to how things are done…?

But that's par for the course, most graphic designers are rank neophytes.
Even me in many areas! I'm an expert at what I do in some narrow fields, but Graphic design is a massive area and I barely scratch he surface.
But at least I DO scratch it. Most people can't even WIPE it.
last edited on June 25, 2017 11:49PM
Ironscarf at 6:30AM, June 26, 2017
(offline)
HippieVan wrote:

Things are going well with the new bf. Although dating someone who I have proper feelings for is bringing out whole new neuroses that I didn't even know I had! So that's a lot of fun for everyone. But aside from having to curb my anxieties sometimes everything has been really lovely. He's a big goofball and ate a lime the other day to impress me.

He sounds like a great guy! I'm biased of course - us Brits practically live on limes.
radi0_cl0wn at 8:53PM, June 28, 2017
(online)
Hey guys, I'm brand new, any recommendations and/or tips would be much appreciated! I've only got the first page of my comic up at the moment, but I'll be uploading more throughout the week. :^)
HippieVan at 9:11PM, June 29, 2017
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
He sounds like a great guy! I'm biased of course - us Brits practically live on limes.

Ukrainians too, apparently! International Lime Showdown?

radi0_cl0wn wrote:
Hey guys, I'm brand new, any recommendations and/or tips would be much appreciated! I've only got the first page of my comic up at the moment, but I'll be uploading more throughout the week. :^)

Welcome! Are you looking for tips on anything in particular?
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Niccea at 3:47AM, June 30, 2017
(offline)
I think I need a new computer. It doesn't charge when connected to power anymore. Hopefully it can survive the Awards.

I'm also 2 to 3 weeks out from having my little one. Too many things at once. Can't wait to have the hard cider and rum my husband has been saving for me. (Not at the same time)
ayesinback at 8:16PM, July 2, 2017
(online)
Niccea wrote:

I'm also 2 to 3 weeks out from having my little one.

Congratulations!!! Take notes so you can remember everything about having your little duckling. (The new comic could be called Hatched) :)

—-

As to work spaces, at home no one messes with it but the cat. It can get piled really high and no one wants to tumble that mountain, except the cat.

When I was at the office, early on, I'd occasionally return from a break and find someone in my cube/at my pc. I wouldn't say anything (one time it took several minutes before that person even knew I was there). Then there'd be a rush of explanation about why they were there. I still wasn't saying anything, although I'd maintain steady eye contact. Then a flurry of ‘I’ll get out of your way now,' at which point I'd ask them ‘Do you need help with that?’

Every one who did it, did it only once, except for one. The second time she got treated to “the tone.” I speak very quietly, slowly, precisely (because I'm so pissed off that I feel it's the only way to avoid a full-on verbal rage torrent). I've been told by a couple of people that it's terrifying. I don't mean it to be.

But it was the last time someone used my work space at the office that I was aware of. Who knows? Maybe they'd party up the cube on my days off, and then carefully put all back as it had been. But I don't think so.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
lba at 8:11PM, July 3, 2017
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
I don't have a workspace, I just fit in when and where I can. My main concern is remembering not to leave my Wacom pen behind afterwards, to avoid the inevitable:

“Pen? Oh yeah, I threw it out - no ink left in it.”

D:

Uuugghh… yeah. I got back to work last week to realize that I screwed up and left my entire pencil case somewhere in Utah, halfway across the country. With both my main pen, AND the bloody damned back-up pen in it. And the worst part is that I still use an intuos 3, so I can either try to ebay bid for an entire new “used” tablet for $70, buy a new replacement pen for $70, or suffer until I scrape together the $600 for the current generation of tablet to replace the whole thing.

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets touchy about their work space though. Even the slightest mess in it means hundreds of dollars lost for me, so I'm on a permanent edge of "am I being too spastic about this?"
Ozoneocean at 9:32PM, July 3, 2017
(online)
Niccea wrote:
I think I need a new computer. It doesn't charge when connected to power anymore. Hopefully it can survive the Awards.

I'm also 2 to 3 weeks out from having my little one. Too many things at once. Can't wait to have the hard cider and rum my husband has been saving for me. (Not at the same time)
Congrats on the bubba! :D

With the computer, get another battery from ebay? It'[s a cheaper way to go. Or even just take it out? I think it'll probably run fine without it.

————————

No one in the office tomorrow except me and the accounts person. And our offices miles apart so I've got the space allll to myself. I'm going to crank up the heater…
That's the only thing. I pretty much do what I want regardless anyway, except the heater.
bravo1102 at 1:51AM, July 4, 2017
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Niccea wrote:

Congrats on the bubba! :D

With the computer, get another battery from ebay? It'[s a cheaper way to go. Or even just take it out? I think it'll probably run fine without it.
I've been using my laptop without the battery for a couple of years now. Just have to always plug it in.

Nature has been paying lots of visits to my work place lately with raccoons who are so into their meal they ignore security guards and rabbits running all over. The raccoon was funniest because I watched him open up the lidded garbage can, pick out dish and eat the chicken wings. Nothing could tear him away from those wings. He even posed for a picture.
Niccea at 5:49AM, July 4, 2017
(offline)
The problem is the where the cable plugs in. It is loose from wear. So new stuff won't help. Easier to get a new computer than to repair this one.
Ozoneocean at 9:51PM, July 5, 2017
(online)
I helped a friend movie two very old book presses yesterday. These things are made of solid iron and they were stupidkerphuken HEAVY!!!! OMG!
You don't realise how heavy iron really is till it's all there in one solid lump together. My back is sore :(

They weren't even that large looking, they were just HEAVY T_T

It was like a magic spell of gravity attraction had been cast on these small things… Like they were made out of lead, Osmium, iridium, Uranium, and plutonium in one weird alloy.

Perhaps the heaviest was over 100kg or over 220lb for you guys in old fashioned land!

I'm not a big guy, I weigh maybe all of 55kg. Milan, my friend is bigger at about 75kg maybe… Together we struggled.

Ironscarf at 2:27AM, July 19, 2017
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
I helped a friend movie two very old book presses yesterday. These things are made of solid iron and they were stupidkerphuken HEAVY!!!! OMG!

Wouldn't it be funny if your smartphone weighed as much as all the items it could replace, combined? Book presses, tv sets, travel agents, department stores, every pointless list you could possibly imagine…
ayesinback at 2:03PM, July 20, 2017
(online)
I have a pleasant “haunting” from my Czarina past. When organizing the radio plays, I created an email account using“drunkduck” as part of the address.

So there's a company who has come to the misunderstanding that I AM drunkduck. (Bow And Tremble). “Erica” saw one of the featured comics and would like to work with the artist. I don't know which one, so if anyone is interested in the following message, please feel free to go for it.

(From the email I received):
I would personally like to invite you to become a VIDA designer and join our ever growing community of artists, from around the world, as one of our new featured artists.

VIDA is a Google Ventures-backed fashion e-commerce platform that gives artists, such as yourself, the opportunity to transform their art into beautiful high quality fashion products in a socially conscious way, by giving the gift of literacy for life to our manufacturing factory employees. Additionally, every VIDA artist receives a portion of net revenues shared back with them for each of their designs sold.

Your work would translate beautifully into apparel and accessories. On behalf of the entire VIDA team, I hope you will join our global community of artists.

To formally join VIDA and share your design vision with the world while helping others, please visit: studio.shopvida.com. Feel free to respond directly to my email with any questions you may have. I can't wait to see your collection of art as fashion products!

Best,
Erica
Ozoneocean at 8:47PM, July 20, 2017
(online)
ayesinback wrote:
I have a pleasant “haunting” from my Czarina past. When organizing the radio plays, I created an email account using“drunkduck” as part of the address.

So there's a company who has come to the misunderstanding that I AM drunkduck. (Bow And Tremble). “Erica” saw one of the featured comics and would like to work with the artist. I don't know which one, so if anyone is interested in the following message, please feel free to go for it.

(From the email I received):
I would personally like to invite you to become a VIDA designer and join our ever growing community of artists, from around the world, as one of our new featured artists.

VIDA is a Google Ventures-backed fashion e-commerce platform that gives artists, such as yourself, the opportunity to transform their art into beautiful high quality fashion products in a socially conscious way, by giving the gift of literacy for life to our manufacturing factory employees. Additionally, every VIDA artist receives a portion of net revenues shared back with them for each of their designs sold.

Your work would translate beautifully into apparel and accessories. On behalf of the entire VIDA team, I hope you will join our global community of artists.

To formally join VIDA and share your design vision with the world while helping others, please visit: studio.shopvida.com. Feel free to respond directly to my email with any questions you may have. I can't wait to see your collection of art as fashion products!

Best,
Erica
That is amazing.
I think the best thing to do would be to try and find out from her which comic she's referring to so we can try and pass on the opportunity to the correct person.
Or you could pass on her email to me and I can work with her to find out.

It's funny, when I graduated with my BA from university I got that some sort of opportunity.
ayesinback at 4:12PM, July 21, 2017
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:

It's funny, when I graduated with my BA from university I got that some sort of opportunity.

The email is design@-redacted- And who knows Oz, maybe it was your art she saw.
last edited on July 22, 2017 1:08AM
Panman at 12:53AM, July 22, 2017
(online)
I was trying to figure out how to post a new comic, looking all over the site. Took me ages to notice the “create” tab at the top of the page.
Ozoneocean at 1:09AM, July 22, 2017
(online)
ayesinback wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:

The email is design@00000 And who knows Oz, maybe it was your art she saw.

I took out the email address so she won't get spammed. :)
I emailed her, offering to find the artist.
Ironscarf at 3:47AM, July 22, 2017
(offline)
Panman wrote:
I was trying to figure out how to post a new comic, looking all over the site. Took me ages to notice the “create” tab at the top of the page.

A new layout/design is in the early planning stages and I believe all suggestions are welcome! It should result in a less cluttered and easier to read homepage, amongst other things. There's a thread on the subject here.
last edited on July 22, 2017 7:21AM
bravo1102 at 9:58PM, July 23, 2017
(offline)
It's so innocuous. Just sitting there. I think it's somehow so appropriate that it's so unobtrusive.

And I've gone on some other sites and frankly gave up on them because I couldn't find the tab to post my work. It was screaming at me to read the top comics but to get to the tab to post my crap was like finding a needle in a haystack.
Panman at 11:43PM, July 23, 2017
(online)
In hindsight it's obvious.
But it might be a good idea to include a “create” link in the user control panel somewhere.
kawaiidaigakusei at 3:48AM, July 24, 2017
(online)
The GM of my company is going to be in Europe for the next two weeks on holiday and as the assistant to the GM,that means I get to listen to music in the office with speakers for the next two weeks!

But in all seriousness, I absolutely love and adore my boss, she is an exceptional role-model. I just anticipate the amount of responsibilities that will be funneled to me in her absence.

===

In other news: Dita von Teese is going to be performing in Downtown Los Angeles this Friday and my mouse is hovering over the purchase ticket button while I figure out the logistics of seeing the show and still getting to work by noon on Saturday.

Also, I am going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter on Thursday, SO EXCITED!!
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Ozoneocean at 12:15AM, July 25, 2017
(online)
Panman wrote:
In hindsight it's obvious.
But it might be a good idea to include a “create” link in the user control panel somewhere.
I agree. I think it belongs in the control panel. But there should also be a big link to the control panel in the top bar.

———-

Good luck with your holiday from your boss Kawaii, hahaha!
Let us know how Dita's show goes.
I've been to quite a few Burlesque shows and I'm a lot more discerning now.
There are a lot of different kinds of show…

There's the great big lady in tight lingerie that cuts into her so that there are rolls of flesh- and her whole show is supposed to be a sexy, slightly humorous strip tease… and It doesn't work for me at all.
It's not entertaining. For a start we know it's not a real strip and that's not what we're there to see anyway. And it's not sexy or fun to see her revealing more of herself where it's just unfaltering, overly tight lingerie.

The other that doesn't work is the skinny fetish model who thinks the show should just be her showing off he tattoos and piercings… We don't care, that's not interesting in the least. Show your mum and dad instead.

A good burlesque show is when it's a REAL show. It's not about a strip show at all, and it's not about some person trying to be alternative or transgressive or whatever rubbish they think is cool.
Good Burlesque is about designing a routine that will entertain an audience, and stripping is a part of that routine- definitely not the main part. A show should be funny or cool in some way, but it's not just based on the fact they're showing their boobs or bum. If we cared about that we'd see a real strip show.
Niccea at 3:04PM, July 25, 2017
(offline)
I know it is weird to be excited about this, but I just got a termination notice for my company. My position ends in September. The reason I'm excited is that I was planning on quitting in August anyway. If I hold out through September, I am eligible for unemployment and a severance package.
bravo1102 at 7:31AM, July 28, 2017
(offline)
And the next installment of “What's my fiasco ” my usb hub disconnected corrupting several whole file folders for my comic. A month's work down the drain. But I did the scan and repair and all the list files were recovered. But my laptop doesn't read the “found ” folder so I had to use my desktop and change the extensions one file at A time, reopen them in Photoshop and re-save them. There are 900 plus files. Oh joy. But I retrieved the important cheap so life is tolerable.
Udyr at 7:03AM, Aug. 4, 2017
(online)
My day so far;
Cleaning apartment, trip to buy groceries, gardening/checking on my herb garden on the balcony…..Then proceed to staring at the pc-screen for 3 hours when im supposed to work on my comic, or ANYTHING really!
I forgot to take my adhd meds so it might explain it, my attention gets to reddit or even this forum right now! Oh well, at least its taco-night.
Ozoneocean at 12:39AM, Aug. 5, 2017
(online)
Udyr wrote:
Then proceed to staring at the pc-screen for 3 hours when im supposed to work on my comic, or ANYTHING really!
Ugh, that's my life…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon