Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2019! General discussion thread
Ozoneocean at 4:07AM, Aug. 19, 2018
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Americans overwork and under achieve. We put in all these hours and only manage to to do what other western countries do with shorter workdays, no overtime and four weeks vacation every year. We're doing it wrong America!
Congrats to your mum!

Our annual holidays are about the same here actually: 4 weeks or so.
I work less hours than most people because I need more time for my creative stuff, but still get the same holiday time.

I'm taking 5 weeks long service leave- when you work for the same company for 10 years you get an extra 8 weeks to use whenever. So I'll have another 4 weeks normal holiday time around Christmas and 3 weeks saved up for whatever.

With my work I could take extra time off if I wanted (in addition to my regular holidays), but it would be without pay. They're happy to let me do that because they need me too much to deny me, but most people couldn't reliably do that.

I will definitely spare many thoughts for you ^_^
You're one of my fave people on the site man.
Tantz_Aerine at 4:12AM, Aug. 19, 2018
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:

@Ozoneocean: I got three hours with Tantz and you get at least three weeks! Oh to live in a country where you actually get real vacation time.

Hey, you'll be there for her birthday and name day! Enjoy and just pause to give a thought to a [redacted due to self deprecation] American.

The wife is going to a genealogy seminar out in Indiana for a week. And my mother turned 89 years young.

There's no day we won't think of you Bravo! And congrats to your mom! May she live to be 100!

last edited on Aug. 19, 2018 4:13AM
kawaiidaigakusei at 8:23PM, Aug. 19, 2018
(online)
I am getting first day back at work/school jitters because tomorrow is the first day of school! It is either that or because I had a small cup of Turkish coffee. I hope the caffeine wears off by midnight so I can get a few hours of sleep in before tomorrow.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Aug. 20, 2018 12:40AM
Tantz_Aerine at 1:52AM, Aug. 20, 2018
(online)
Soooo starting today and for 5 weeks, I'm standing in for Oz as far as admin stuff here on the duck is concerned, while he flies to places!

last edited on Aug. 20, 2018 1:53AM
Ozoneocean at 3:14AM, Aug. 20, 2018
(online)
Tantz_Aerine wrote:
Soooo starting today and for 5 weeks, I'm standing in for Oz as far as admin stuff here on the duck is concerned, while he flies to places!
Kawaii will be able to help too ^_^
She's a super admin as well :D
Tantz_Aerine at 5:44AM, Aug. 20, 2018
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Tantz_Aerine wrote:
Kawaii will be able to help too ^_^
She's a super admin as well :D

Excelsior!
Ozoneocean at 8:44AM, Aug. 28, 2018
(online)
Wow… Tumbleweeds.
Has everyone buggered off to webtoons or something?

I've been walking so much in Athens. My feet hurt 😞
I saw lots of cool ruins though! Funny, every time I've been here so far it was a lot more quiet with way less tourists… I must have always come in September I think? Just after he tourist season.
I mean, I know I'm a tourist too, but I don't like big groups like those people seem to do.
bravo1102 at 10:10AM, Aug. 28, 2018
(offline)
A bunch of people are off on vacation. Yo uh thought you were the only one to go away late August to early September?

My wife just got back from her vacation. She went to Indiana for a genealogy conference. And I turned my collections upside down to get everything ready for doing new scenes for Sword of Kings

And wouldn't you know there was one thing that I just could not find? And a pile of vinyl outfits had decayed and were sticky and flaking.
usedbooks at 4:10AM, Aug. 29, 2018
(online)
I noticed commenting is down. Visitation at work is down too. August is pretty busy for a lot of people.

Good news is I'm finally past the event I was in charge of coordinating at work. So my stress levels have dropped off. I also found some reasonable positions locally to apply to that start after my work season ends.

Still delayed a bit on my comic drawing because inspiration for my Used Books finale attacked me and all the pieces are starting to work. I can't write the ideas down fast enough, and they are all in scene fragments on lined notebookpaper from quickly being jotted during lunch breaks or when pulled over at road pull offs during my commute. -_-

And today, two of my pet rats go to the vet to get tumors looked at. (Tumors generally don't affect rats' health. Most are benign. They just get awkward when they get big.) Half of my rats are 2 1/2 years old, which is ancient in rat years. The ones I'm taking to the vet are my “babies” – 1 1/2 years, the rat equivalent of 60.
Tantz_Aerine at 10:42AM, Aug. 29, 2018
(online)
Racing to do so many things before September rolls in. And I got to get back into the WM groove I'd developed for the updates too. This is a hellish week. But at least it's productive.
usedbooks at 4:28PM, Aug. 29, 2018
(online)
My computer charger stopped working. Hoping it's the charger and not the computer. Ordered a new charger, but… I have no ability to work on any webcomic stuff until it's sorted.

My plans for tomorrow are shot. Maybe I'll write some scripts on notebook paper or get a jump on rough drafts (if I use part of the 20% battery remaining to email myself my digital scripts).
Ozoneocean at 5:33AM, Sept. 3, 2018
(online)
I hope you come up with a solution to your computer issues UB.

Only a week left in Greece… Then I start making my way to Serbia.
I'm feeling a little nostalgic for home though… It'd be nice to be back with my cats and stuff.
bravo1102 at 6:38AM, Sept. 3, 2018
(offline)
Oh, you'll be there for the centennial of the battle of Dobro Pol?

It happens to be the 30th anniversary of my crazy girlfriend attacking me with a knife after I recovered from a broken big toe. Crazy times for me in 1988.
Ozoneocean at 1:51PM, Sept. 3, 2018
(online)
I'd never heard of that before… Looks like that's in the territory of FYROM now (Aka the republic of Macedonia). Lots of tensions around that place… It's even more troubled than the relationship between you and your former GF!

In fact the Australian government advice to travelers is to avoided the place due to the terrorism and banditry.
I hope Milosh doesn't plan to drive North through there on our way to Serbia… But is Bulgaria any better? I have no idea.

Tantz_Aerine at 2:46PM, Sept. 4, 2018
(online)
I hope you guys choose a safe route. Considering the high belligerence over the FYROM naming issue (I can't even begin to say what kind of knee jerk reaction that ‘aka’ you mentioned made me want to have Oz) I sincerely hope you don't choose to go through there. Assuming you can coming from within Greece.
usedbooks at 6:35PM, Sept. 4, 2018
(online)
Yikes. Like most Americans, I fear travel abroad. And like most Americans of my generation, I couldn't afford it if I wanted to.

My power cord decided to start working again, so I have two now. :P

Half of the pet rats I have are generously beyond rat life expectancy. I lost one this morning to heart failure. Her sisters are healthy but low energy and one brother drags his hind feet a bit. My “younger”generation are “seniors.” Two of these elderly fluffs have tumor removals scheduled Thursday.
Abt_Nihil at 4:41AM, Sept. 5, 2018
(offline)
Tantz_Aerine wrote:
(I can't even begin to say what kind of knee jerk reaction that ‘aka’ you mentioned made me want to have Oz)

In Oz's defense (not sure he needs it), it took me quite a bit of research to basically understand the issue back when you posted about it on twitter/facebook… not that it wasn't on the news, but getting the ‘why’ of it all is rather difficult from afar.
usedbooks at 8:55AM, Sept. 5, 2018
(online)
Lost another rat this morning. Died in her sleep. Was just done with life I guess. :P (No other symptoms.)

I got in an argument with a self-checkout machine yesterday. It amused the employees, but I had an actual emotional breakdown (in uniform :( ). Then I yelled at my dog all morning to stop whining while I was cleaning. He then had an accident on the floor, and I felt terrible. I am so done with everything. I want to nothing for a while.
MegaRdaniels at 6:03PM, Sept. 5, 2018
(online)
The time has come. I'm ALMOST DONE with Issue 2. Issue 1 took me 2 and a half years while Issue 2 took me all summer lol. FINALLY LOL.
bravo1102 at 3:04AM, Sept. 6, 2018
(offline)
MegaRdaniels wrote:
The time has come. I'm ALMOST DONE with Issue 2. Issue 1 took me 2 and a half years while Issue 2 took me all summer lol. FINALLY LOL.
Lucky. There's a heat wave here and New Jersey heat and humidity sucks everything right out of me. So I can barely manage a couple of panels the past three weeks. And no photos because my workroom has no air conditioning.

I work outside so I have a great farmer's tan but I usually get cramps and pains by midday. But the eye is doing great and I have not worn the patch all week. Went to the optometrist and I am getting an adjustment to my glasses to get my eyes to work together better. Seems the retina reattachment may have distorted the lenses from my cataract surgery.
MegaRdaniels at 5:43AM, Sept. 6, 2018
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
MegaRdaniels wrote:
Lucky. There's a heat wave here and New Jersey heat and humidity sucks everything right out of me. So I can barely manage a couple of panels the past three weeks. And no photos because my workroom has no air conditioning.

I work outside so I have a great farmer's tan but I usually get cramps and pains by midday. But the eye is doing great and I have not worn the patch all week. Went to the optometrist and I am getting an adjustment to my glasses to get my eyes to work together better. Seems the retina reattachment may have distorted the lenses from my cataract surgery.

Jesus, are you okay?
bravo1102 at 6:53AM, Sept. 6, 2018
(offline)
Jesus, are you okay?

I'm a survivor. Four eye surgeries in two years, just have to be patient with the recovery.
fallopiancrusader at 11:46AM, Sept. 6, 2018
(offline)

The heat wave is killing me too!
usedbooks at 4:05PM, Sept. 6, 2018
(online)
I had to move my bed to my living room. My bedroom AC unit is out of commission, and I can't use it until further notice from the property manager.

The vet had an emergency come in today and couldn't do both of my rats' surgeries, so they are keeping them another day. My one girl upon examination had other issues than the tumors I brought her in for. Long story short, the vet left the mammary tumors alone, and she had a complete hysterectomy instead (which revealed a tumor on her uterus). There is a chance that hormones from the ovaries were creating all the tumors to begin with, so they could actually shrink now.

Long crazy day, and I wasn't able to rest my bad knee, so I'm taking a sick day tomorrow. (In my NPS career, I've accumulated around 5 weeks worth of sick days. So I don't push myself to work when I won't be effective.)
kawaiidaigakusei at 7:46PM, Sept. 6, 2018
(online)
@usedbooks

I am so sorry about your day of unfortunate events last Wednesday. From goofball self-checkout technology to Lupin having an indoor accident to the loss of your rat dying in her sleep, it sounds like you need a break. I hope you schedule some time for self-care and to take a pause and just let everything settle.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 2:35AM, Sept. 7, 2018
(offline)
I would recommend some good comedy. Laughter can be such a release.

There's also something to be said for a good tearjerker. A good Jane Austen adaptation can work wonders. The better ones will give you the laugh out loud comedy of manners and the ending that makes you dissolve into tears. And you feel refreshed after.
Genejoke at 2:54AM, Sept. 7, 2018
(online)
Sounds like a pain of a day. Mine wasn't much better. So many tests and needs and scans. Worse I had to spend the night in hospital. Waiting to be discharged now. Can't wait to get out of here.
usedbooks at 4:17AM, Sept. 7, 2018
(online)
I'm marathoning Get Smart at the moment. Heh.

Called in sick for my bad knee. Gonna keep off it and work on art. So frickin hot to have my AC out of commission. It's enough to my me anxious to get back to work. (It's 10 degrees cooler and less humid in the mountains where I work. And the visitor center is proper chilly.)
MegaRdaniels at 12:24PM, Sept. 7, 2018
(online)
Hey guys, just came back. I gotta take a break from the news lol. They always report on the bad stuff…like a lot.

I started watching Bob Ross to counteract it…however I would be lying that at times he does put me to sleep with his soothing voice.

What say you?
Ozoneocean at 5:21AM, Sept. 8, 2018
(online)
That sounds horrible UB :(

This is my last night in Athens … I was going to go off and look at the Battleship Memorial for the Averof, but I've got a headache and it feel so nice just to chill in this gorgeous apartment…

I haven't been eating enough since I've been here because I'm cheap 😂
My last place didn't have a real mirror, this one does however! I saw my full figure in the mirror last night and I am quite noticeably thin.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon