Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2019! General discussion thread
fallopiancrusader at 3:04PM, Sept. 30, 2018
(offline)
I just got back from Ru Paul's DragCon, where I did a bunch of pole dancing. It was fun to see people from 6 to 60 years' age walking around in drag
Ozoneocean at 8:57PM, Oct. 1, 2018
(online)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
I just got back from Ru Paul's DragCon, where I did a bunch of pole dancing. It was fun to see people from 6 to 60 years' age walking around in drag
Congrats! Do you have pics?
Doing drag is fun. I used to do that as a kid sometimes, and once a few years ago for a party.

I always appreciate it when it's done well. My friend Bianka and I met and befriended Ongina on a flight from LA to New York a few years ago. A very nice person. - from one of of the earlier series of the show.
Genejoke at 5:01AM, Oct. 5, 2018
(online)
This is just an idea at present, a vague idea at that but who might be up for some roasts as a community project? Think about celebrity roasts by comedians, but done in comic form about the comics and possibly the author(s). Thick skins would be required. posted here as it's just an idea rather than a project that is being started, as yet.
bravo1102 at 6:22AM, Oct. 5, 2018
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
This is just an idea at present, a vague idea at that but who might be up for some roasts as a community project? Think about celebrity roasts by comedians, but done in comic form about the comics and possibly the author(s). Thick skins would be required. posted here as it's just an idea rather than a project that is being started, as yet.
Why not one on the Duckcast?

Niccea at 10:48AM, Oct. 5, 2018
(offline)
Finally got finished with what we affectionately call “rainbow hell” at my workplace. One a month I have to check the applications that the sales agents are scheduled to start getting commission on to make sure that every thing is signed and filled correctly. It has gets is colorful name from the fact the applications are put into folders that are color coded by agent. These folders spend one and a half days on and around my desk sometimes boxing me in. During this period I don't have time to do my daily tasks so it feels like an condensed work week for me.

Then, my best friend is getting married tomorrow and I realized I really don't have a dress that is appropriate, so I have to go shopping after work today.

And hey the Awards are starting presentations on Monday. I got my presentations and judgements but some assembly required. What a week.
Genejoke at 11:29AM, Oct. 5, 2018
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Genejoke wrote:
Why not one on the Duckcast?

I also wondered about that as an option.
Tantz_Aerine at 1:29AM, Oct. 7, 2018
(online)
There is nothing more frustrating about trying to run a whole thing to help promote both people's webcomics and DD itself, than when I ask for a frigging twitter handle list to promote YOUR WEBCOMIC and people just don't respond.

But I'm sure they will when I tag those I remember/have available only, to complain I've forgotten them.

Help me help you damn it why is that so hard! /rant
last edited on Oct. 7, 2018 1:31AM
JustNoPoint at 10:21AM, Oct. 8, 2018
(online)
Just randomly start hyping my comic’s return while I build buffer if you need to scratch that itch bad enough! :p
Niccea at 8:25PM, Oct. 8, 2018
(offline)
I just realized I didn't back up some of my avatar images when I upgraded computers last year. Thankfully the ones I'm missing came from some pages in previous Drunk Duck Awards, so it should be easy to remake them. I was getting sick of having the same one for more than a year.
BustyLaroo at 10:33PM, Oct. 8, 2018
(offline)
Just got home from spending all weekend with family. So good to sleep in my own bed. T_T

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians!
Genejoke at 6:03AM, Oct. 10, 2018
(online)
BustyLaroo wrote:
Just got home from spending all weekend with family. So good to sleep in my own bed. T_T

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians!

Bed? I haven't slept in a bed for ages. Sofas and armchairs are the way forward…

Car failed it's MOT and it's gonna cost a lot to make it road legal again. Decision time, fix or replace.eitget way it's gonna cost more than I have to spare right now. GAH!
BustyLaroo at 9:36AM, Oct. 10, 2018
(offline)
Ooooh that sucks!! We just had to get new tires for our van last month, and have had our share of car troubles… Definitely look at getting a new vehicle if the repair is too expensive. :/
Ozoneocean at 9:03PM, Oct. 10, 2018
(online)
That's the main reason why I've never bothered with a car: great big money traps.
When I tell people here they look at me like I have 15 heads.
It's easy for me to get around here, we have great public transport and Uber makes things even easier. It's not something I miss.
bravo1102 at 12:57AM, Oct. 11, 2018
(offline)
If only that was an option in my corner of the world. Nope, got to keep the car going to the 200k mark. It's 16 years old and you know how teenagers can get.
Ozoneocean at 7:03AM, Oct. 13, 2018
(online)
You don't shower enough? :)

You don't upset anyone here. We LOVE you.
Banes at 9:16AM, Oct. 14, 2018
(offline)
Genejoke -

Hey, I love that roast idea !!

Tantz_Aerine at 12:37PM, Oct. 14, 2018
(online)
Banes wrote:
Genejoke -

I'm still not quite sure what this is all about…
bravo1102 at 1:43PM, Oct. 14, 2018
(offline)
Tantz_Aerine wrote:
Banes wrote:
Genejoke -

I'm still not quite sure what this is all about…
Look up Dean Martin celebrity roast on YouTube. Sure they've done others since but the Dean Martin ones remain among the funniest.
“Nevah got a dinnah!” Breaks me up every time.
Genejoke at 6:10PM, Oct. 14, 2018
(online)
Call Me Tom wrote:
Why do I upset people so much?

Because people are thin skinned halfwits?

Joking aside, I have no idea, but be aware it may not be you that's the problem. You're not responsible for how people react to you, your art or whatever. Well unless you're being personal and nasty, but I've never seen that in anything you do. I'd even go as far as to say the most nastiest things I've seen you put online are aimed at yourself.

The roast idea, well as bravo said check out celebrity roasts online. As for doing it as a community project or a quackcast, well who knows what would work best. But it's would have to be voluntary, otherwise it would come off as rather mean. Maybe a quick example on a creator I know can take a joke.

“Take Pinky TA by ozoneocean for example, it's been updating for about 20 years but there's only a handful of pages, have you seen that Disney film, Zootopia? Remember the sloths? Good, now imagine one making a webcomic and taking their thime with it. The title suggests it might be good eye candy, sadly the ”sexy“ female lead looks like the author put tits and ass on a self portrait. It's like the Cat from red dwarf made a comic!”
kawaiidaigakusei at 1:11AM, Oct. 15, 2018
(online)
@bravo, my car celebrated its 18th birthday and is nearing the 200,000 mark.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 1:17AM, Oct. 15, 2018
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
@bravo, my car celebrated its 18th birthday and is nearing the 200,000 mark.
It can vote now! Better register for the upcoming midterm elections! You can save on insurance by getting “vintage/historic” plates. 😂

Re: roast: just imagine Don Rickles discussing you and your comic. But all in good fun.

That's what's missing a lot of times. A sense of humor. Make a joke and take a joke. Laugh with others and be able to laugh at yourself. People and events are too funny. Can't let all that great comical work go unappreciated. Laugh.
last edited on Oct. 15, 2018 1:25AM
Ozoneocean at 3:14AM, Oct. 15, 2018
(online)
Genejoke wrote:

“Take Pinky TA by ozoneocean for example, it's been updating for about 20 years but there's only a handful of pages, have you seen that Disney film, Zootopia? Remember the sloths? Good, now imagine one making a webcomic and taking their thime with it. The title suggests it might be good eye candy, sadly the ”sexy“ female lead looks like the author put tits and ass on a self portrait. It's like the Cat from red dwarf made a comic!”

Hahaha! ^_^

This is an example of a roast that works.
It's because you know your target, you know they can take the joke, and you're not malicious or cruel.
Not just anyone can do it I think.
Genejoke at 7:04AM, Oct. 15, 2018
(online)
You should get Banes to read it out on the quackcast.
Tantz_Aerine at 10:15AM, Oct. 15, 2018
(online)
Ehhhh… the roast thing would be a delicate affair. Like, it would walk a very fine line…
bravo1102 at 11:27AM, Oct. 15, 2018
(offline)
Tantz_Aerine wrote:
Ehhhh… the roast thing would be a delicate affair. Like, it would walk a very fine line…
It really would have to be voluntary. Someone who understands that it's all in fun.

But then there have been “bad news” review sites that rip apart everything without mercy. Some of the creators of them have proven to have thin skins when the tables were turned.

If you roast someone you must be willing to take the heat yourself. And I have been known to roast myself. I just can't take a lot of things seriously.

Ozoneocean at 4:15AM, Oct. 16, 2018
(online)
Bravo… I suspect it's more about self-castigation with you.
That's my hunch.
Gotta be careful with a roast. It can't be used to confirm negative opinions you already have about yourself.

In other news I actually updated Bottomless Waitress o_O
https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Bottomless_Waitress/5582380/
If I could buy ads from myself I would hahaha!
bravo1102 at 4:36AM, Oct. 16, 2018
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Bravo… I suspect it's more about self-castigation with you.
That's my hunch.
Gotta be careful with a roast. It can't be used to confirm negative opinions you already have about yourself.

In other news I actually updated Bottomless Waitress o_O
https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Bottomless_Waitress/5582380/
If I could buy ads from myself I would hahaha!
Not so much anymore. Now I like to laugh at my own foolishness. Tantz_aerine had that effect on me. Self flagellation was such an apt comparison.

And I am slipping into crisis mode. We're looking at debt consolidation because we're losing the paycheck to paycheck battle. I have to get motivated to start getting rid of the collections. Then there's accepting that the distorted vision in my left eye could be permanent. It really is beginning to throw off my hobbies. Even while reading a book I find myself closing the eye because the subtle double vision becomes too much.
Ozoneocean at 4:17AM, Oct. 17, 2018
(online)
Why the money troubles man?
bravo1102 at 1:40AM, Oct. 18, 2018
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Why the money troubles man?
My car is getting older. We have a car payment for the first time in a few years. Our paychecks dropped during the economic downturn and cut backs. Maybe one too many expensive vacations and I have too many collections.
usedbooks at 5:57AM, Oct. 18, 2018
(online)
Ouch, bravo, that sucks. :P

My seasonal job with NPS ends in just over a week. For the past nine years, I've filed for unemployment (which pays very little but supplements the help my parents give me). Unfortunately, I had to sign a year lease on an apartment this year, so I can't pull up chocks and crash rent-free at their place for the winter. So, I'm feeling extra financial pressure.

That said, I got some good news yesterday. I am starting into the on-boarding process for a part-time position. I should be able to start almost immediately after my current job ends. I have never worked past summer months despite all my efforts, so I'm pretty excited. It is part-time and a big drop in pay but better than zero. Lol. And better than unemployment. Plus, it's not minimum wage or retail – although I will be seeking those positions to supplement. Actually, it's public sector, with the county of Roanoke.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon