Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Drunkduck Anthology part two planning.
Ironscarf at 9:14AM, Aug. 5, 2022
(offline)
And to charge a few dollars more for the fatter version with those extra stories.
Genejoke at 12:11PM, Aug. 5, 2022
(online)
Premium rate for adult content?
Dave Mire at 1:34PM, Aug. 5, 2022
(online)
Hi-Fi Sci-Fi
Ironscarf at 3:18PM, Aug. 5, 2022
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
Premium rate for adult content?

I don't see why not, as you'd be getting more pages for your money. The price hike could be based on how many extra stories were included in the adult version. Put everything together as for a single anthology, then just whip out the adult content and amend the contents page accordingly for the non adult version. I don't think adult creators should be asked to censor their work or have it censored on their behalf.
last edited on Aug. 5, 2022 3:20PM
lothar at 5:54PM, Aug. 5, 2022
(offline)
I'm interested in doing this. What's the details? Is there a post somewhere, like how many pages, does it have to be exclusive to the anthology, etc?
Genejoke at 8:24AM, Aug. 6, 2022
(online)
It's still at discussion stage so no solid details yet.

There wont be a minimum page count due to gag strips and the like. Should there be a maximum? I don't imagine it will be an issue.

Exclusivity? I think some will be required for sure. What does everyone think?
bravo1102 at 3:13PM, Aug. 6, 2022
(offline)
I'd like to hold to the sixteen page maximum of the last anthology. That way creators finish and submit their projects. Go too long and nothing gets done. Short stories, short-shorts, gags but no long drawn out “it's all about me escapades”

Someone wants more than sixteen pages: submit another story. ;)

Please keep it short and simple. We all have our own comics that we can go on and on to no good purpose. But here should be tight story telling. No more than sixteen pages.
last edited on Aug. 6, 2022 3:14PM
Ironscarf at 11:16AM, Aug. 7, 2022
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:

Please keep it short and simple. We all have our own comics that we can go on and on to no good purpose. But here should be tight story telling. No more than sixteen pages.

I would agree with this. Sixteen pages is already a huge amount by average anthology standards.
Genejoke at 12:03PM, Aug. 7, 2022
(online)
It's also a lot of work, so I can't imagine it being an issue, but to be on the safe side perhaps a maximum of 16 is called for.
dpat57 at 3:15PM, Aug. 8, 2022
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
Exclusivity? I think some will be required for sure. What does everyone think?
Authors can agree to give 1 year's publication rights to the antho. Meaning it doesn't appear anywhere else. At the end of that year the rights are returned to authors. Do as you wish with it then. For most online magazines that's a fairly standard arrangement.
Unka John at 8:28PM, Sept. 1, 2022
(offline)
I am curious as to the status of this project.
Ironscarf at 4:25PM, Sept. 5, 2022
(offline)
I'm not aware of any discussion on this happening elsewhere Unk, such as in the Discord, so failing that I don't think anything has been set in stone yet.
I suggest we use the same standard US page dimensions as the previous anthology. There doesn't seem to be much call for a specific theme this time.
Genejoke at 12:23AM, Sept. 6, 2022
(online)
Yeah there's not a lot of talk atm, I was fairly busy helping with other stuff. I think it's time to start pushing things along a bit.

I think we are sort of there with the content elements, a base version and one with adult content for those who want that.

Theme is up in the air. I'm leaning to no theme or something vague that could be interpreted in many ways by creators.

An upper limit of 16 pages was mentioned and seems sensible.

Dpatz mentioned asking contributors to agree to a year exclusivity, which I think is sensible.

Genejoke at 12:25AM, Sept. 6, 2022
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
I'm not aware of any discussion on this happening elsewhere Unk, such as in the Discord, so failing that I don't think anything has been set in stone yet.
I suggest we use the same standard US page dimensions as the previous anthology. There doesn't seem to be much call for a specific theme this time.

For dimensions I was thinking the same, I believe they used the Kablam template as a guide.

TheJagged at 12:56AM, Sept. 6, 2022
(offline)
Never done this before, but i'd be interested in contributing once the theme (or lack thereof) is decided on. How's it work exactly? You just draw a comic within the given guidelines and send it in?
bravo1102 at 1:07AM, Sept. 6, 2022
(offline)
I'm going to pitch a theme just to tie everything together. The last one was The Horror Anthology. So a very broad, very simple theme or genre just to somehow bring very disparate elements together.

It could be romance. Anything from puppy love to the trust shared between an aged couple and everything in between.

Or it could be greed. Any of the ancient deadly sins are great themes for a collection.

Or it could something as simple as history. Anything so long as the setting is not a fantasy or the present day. And yes, there are plenty of highly detailed historical comics with anthropomorphic casts. Or conversely fantastic creatures. Any tale about a fantastic creature real or imagined.

It could be like a writing exercise based on a particular situation or single line. See different takes on “It was a dark and stormy night–,” “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times” and so on.

A theme can be so broad that it can encompass all types of stories and genres. Something universal like an emotion and feeling, a drive or even some very basic thing. Twelve stories about trees. A tree figures in each one as some part of the story more than just a background.

Take for it for what you will, just throwing it out there. A theme doesn't have to be viewed as a limitation but as starting point or a destination or a journey or even just a stroll from the kitchen to the bedroom. Journeys could be a theme as well. Need never go anywhere but what a trip it was.
last edited on Sept. 6, 2022 1:08AM
Genejoke at 10:37AM, Sept. 6, 2022
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
I'm going to pitch a theme just to tie everything together. The last one was The Horror Anthology. So a very broad, very simple theme or genre just to somehow bring very disparate elements together.

It could be romance. Anything from puppy love to the trust shared between an aged couple and everything in between.

Or it could be greed. Any of the ancient deadly sins are great themes for a collection.

Or it could something as simple as history. Anything so long as the setting is not a fantasy or the present day. And yes, there are plenty of highly detailed historical comics with anthropomorphic casts. Or conversely fantastic creatures. Any tale about a fantastic creature real or imagined.

It could be like a writing exercise based on a particular situation or single line. See different takes on “It was a dark and stormy night–,” “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times” and so on.

A theme can be so broad that it can encompass all types of stories and genres. Something universal like an emotion and feeling, a drive or even some very basic thing. Twelve stories about trees. A tree figures in each one as some part of the story more than just a background.

Take for it for what you will, just throwing it out there. A theme doesn't have to be viewed as a limitation but as starting point or a destination or a journey or even just a stroll from the kitchen to the bedroom. Journeys could be a theme as well. Need never go anywhere but what a trip it was.

Well said.

perhaps have some suggestions and a vote?
Genejoke at 6:24PM, Sept. 11, 2022
(online)
How about dreams as a theme?
TheJagged at 12:06AM, Sept. 12, 2022
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
How about dreams as a theme?
*thumbs up*
Banes at 7:39AM, Sept. 12, 2022
(offline)
Sounds good! Not sure if we're voting now - I'll have to ponder it for a minute because these themes are all good ideas.

Genejoke at 12:12PM, Sept. 12, 2022
(online)
I'll put together a list of suggestions before long, hoping to get more suggestions first.
Ozoneocean at 9:45PM, Sept. 12, 2022
(online)
I unstickied the old anthology thread.
Here's a link for reference: https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/forum/topic/178759/

Should we sticky this?
Genejoke at 6:13AM, Sept. 13, 2022
(online)
Yeah I think it's worth a sticky as the DD awards are almost prepped.
Tantz_Aerine at 12:44PM, Sept. 17, 2022
(online)
Excellent suggestions!

For broad themes I'd like to suggest some for the vote(forgive me if I didn't see it already mentioned, I skimmed the posts):

Adventure
Fear
Thriller
Fairytales (could be reimaginings, spoofs, ethnic, urban legends, anything/everything, played straight or subverted, etc, which lend themselves to short formats)

Furwerk studio at 8:02PM, Sept. 21, 2022
(offline)
I do like the idea of using dreams as it could be about so much:

A kid going on an adventure through the dreamland to avoid a tooth fairy gone bad.

A mage user talking to his dead wife one last time.

Finding out if electric sheep dream of androids.

It can be combined with many things and still make sense.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 9:08AM, Sept. 22, 2022
(offline)
A dream theme would be neat. I think I got a down-the-rabbit-hole dreampunk-ish story laying around in my archieve of story ideas.
Genejoke at 4:12PM, Sept. 22, 2022
(online)
Here's the suggestions for themes, please drop a comment with your vote.

A. No theme
B. Sci-fi
C. Thriller
D. Dreams
E. History
F. Fairy Tales
G. Greed
H. Adventure
I. Winter special
J. Summer special

Hopefully I didn't miss any suggestions.

I'll tally up votes on the 7th of October.

Once the theme is established we can really hammer down the details however for the moment they stand as follows.

All content submitted content should be original and exclusive for the anthology for 1 year. This is to raise additional funds for the site overhaul after all so let's make it worth a purchase.

There will not be an age rating limit, to allow for adult content two versions will be made available. One with adult content, one without. I guess that's fairly obvious. The adult version will contain all the stories and will cost more as a result but the price will be set accordingly depending on the page count difference. Pricing and where to purchase are yet to be determined.

There is a maximum page limit of 16 pages per story.

There is no minimum, unless you count one page as a minimum. if you make strips and they do not fit the standard page size I'm sure we can work something out.

For consistency please create pages to the dimensions of this page template.

last edited on Sept. 23, 2022 9:48AM
Furwerk studio at 8:10PM, Sept. 22, 2022
(offline)
I am voting for Dreams as there is so much to work with.

Just curious, where do I submit the pages?
Banes at 11:35PM, Sept. 22, 2022
(offline)
I'll vote for Dreams Theme too!

bravo1102 at 12:20AM, Sept. 23, 2022
(offline)
Well as Merlin said: To some a dream, to others a nightmare!

Dreams.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon